Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sliceoftoast
Jul 23, 2003
And now... unleash the corpse!!
I got PRK done about 3 weeks ago. I did a lot of shopping around, went to three different places: one was a big company called Lasik Plus, the other two were private surgeons. The initial quote ranged from $4000 to $5000 for the custom wavefront on both eyes. After the third place I went to, I kind of realized that even the private practices are just factories. All of them seemed to be good surgeons, and from what I could tell, it was mostly the machine that did most of the work anyway, so I went with the cheapest place, Lasik Plus. I managed to negotiate their quote down to $3000 from $4000. The place was pretty fancy looking and the surgeon had like 20 years of experience so I went for it.

The day of was a little frustrating... they said to be there at 10am for my appointment, we show up on time, and it takes literally 3 and a half hours for me to be seen. There's like 8 other people in line before me. When you're expecting to have your eyeballs lasered, it's a little frustrating to be made to wait so long.

But once I was in the chair, things went smoothly. I chose PRK because I didn't want to deal with the flap; so the doctor propped my eye open, put in like 8 different drops, and dived right in with the scraper thing. A few seconds on my right eye with the scraper, he pulled away and my vision was cloudy, he said to stare into the blinking circle, I heard a few clicks, and that was it. Next eye was the same thing and I was out of the chair with sunglasses on in a total of like 5 minutes. It wasn't painful, but I will say it was extremely uncomfortable. I had a clenched fist through the whole thing.

My vision was cloudy for the first day and I was very light sensitive, so I just sat in bed and listened to NPR. No pain until the 2nd day, when I had a feeling like I was peeling onions all day long. The pain cleared up on the 3rd day, but my eyes were still sensitive to light, so basically for the first 3 days I just sat in bed. It was pretty drat boring.

Now 3 weeks out, my left eye is 20/25, and my right eye is 20/40. It's a pretty big difference between them (though my original prescription of -4 -6 was a pretty big difference too) but I can drive and function in everyday life. I'm still waiting for that "a-ha" moment when everything's crystal clear, but the surgeon said it could take as long as 3 months to fully stabilize. So who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliceoftoast
Jul 23, 2003
I have a question for the pro's in the thread.

I had PRK done about a year and half ago. Everything went smoothly, and 3 weeks after the surgery I felt that my eyes had stabilized. However I noticed that with both eyes open, my left seemed weaker than the right--nothing serious, but enough to be noticeable and annoying when using a computer. I called the surgeon and he said come back in a year, your eyes are probably still stabilizing.

Well cut to today, where my eyes are about the same as they were 3 weeks after the surgery. I went back in to the surgeon, they put drops in and did a checkup, and his verdict was that my right eye is much weaker than my left eye, which causes it to overcompensate and manifest itself as weaker vision in my left eye when both are open. He recommended to do PRK again to touch it up.

I'm OK with doing the surgery again, but my question is: how did this happen in the first place? It's not my eyes degenerating, as I noticed it right away after surgery. It seems the surgery wasn't done 100% right. But any idea as to what exactly went wrong, so that I can mention it to my surgeon when I get a touch-up? I'm really just curious as to how this seemingly foolproof and computer-guided technique managed to botch things.

sliceoftoast
Jul 23, 2003

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Touch-up surgeries are not uncommon and usually the amount of prescription being altered is so small that it's fairly simple to correct without fear of large backsliding. Hope that answers your question.

That's a great explanation. Thanks!

• Locked thread