Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there any recommended resource for finding a doctor in my area that won't make my eyes fall out? I've turned 30 recently and my prescription is stabilized largely, so I'm considering at least going in for a consultation.

I'm sure it can vary as well, but I'm also trying to get an idea on pricing, to see how the various options for my vision insurance would affect things. Any idea what I'm looking at for someone with a relativley stable OD -4.25/-1.75/8, OS -5.75/-1.25/174?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Ask your regular optometrist for a recommendation. Mine had a partnership with a surgeon so I could get all the pre- and post-op stuff done at the office near my house and I only had to travel to get the actual lasering done at a city two hours away (I lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere at the time).

Don't be afraid to travel to get it done with a good surgeon if you don't already live in a big city, you'll either have to get someone to drive you or get a hotel nearby but it's your eyeballs and you've only got one set so it's worth it.

He said, as if I had a regular optometrist. I get an exam at wherever's closest to whatever apartment I'm living in at the time, and I order my glasses off the internet.

legsarerequired posted:

Deviant, I'm not a doctor, but I am so nearsighted that I cannot read a computer monitor set a foot away from my face. My LASIK operation is quoted at ~$3700.

Now my own question: How long should I wait between my septoplasty and LASIK? I currently have the deviated septum scheduled on 4/2 and LASIK scheduled on 4/17. I'm considering moving LASIK back to 4/24 but I'm just so sick of waiting for both of these.

Ok, that jives with my google-research and napkin math.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Where are you located? Maybe some goons could recommend where they got theirs done.

Orlando, FL.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I know it varies by area, but can we talk costs? I'm in the Florida region for what that's worth.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Kylra posted:

Mine was $3400 for all laser lasik, not including the approx $80 in eyedrops I'm probably going to be using before the dry eyes and rubbing moratorium ends. It would have been $200 less per eye using a blade (microkeratome). The others in my area were in the $4000 or above range for two eyes for the same technology from what I gathered.

Some places will do a sub $500 per eye procedure on lower prescriptions, but I'd guess you're out of that range.

Supposedly the national average is around $2100 per eye.

not too bad, but yeah, probably puts me into 'normal price' range. I was expecting about 5k out the door.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is it normal that a local business (Herschel Lasik in Orlando, FL) wouldn't be able to see me for an initial evaluation until April 26?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, i went to a consultation yesterday, and they we only able to get me to 20/25, so I have a recheck on the 9th and some dry eye treatments to do between now and then.

Also I apparently have Map and Fuchs Dystrophy. So you know, that's good.

And a loving scar on my cornea which is super metal.

Surprisingly none of this is a dealbreaker, but it may require PRK rather than Lasik

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My followup is tomorrow, we shall see if this dry eye treatment helps me get to 20/20 pre-surgery.

Edit: I meant tomorrow.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 8, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Had my followup yesterday, was able to get closer to 20/20. One more followup 5/16, a dilated exam 5/24, and barring no other problems, surgery scheduled for 6/1.

gonna get them eye lasers.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

well, i paid for my op, and i will be going in on the 1st for bladeless LASIK

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Today is the laser day! I will report back later.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sweet tap dancing crap, I have no words.

Already 11/10 would lasers again.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 2, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hm, weird, I woke up this morning with some slight blurriness in my right eye. Was crisp and 20/20 when I went to sleep.

Using some eyedrops frequently, but still some blur.

I'm going into the office tomorrow to have the doctor take a look just in case, but is this sort of fluctuation normal with healing?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zogo posted:

Yes, within the first few months all kinds of short-term oddities can appear.

Yeah, it improved as the day went on. Guess I was just being paranoid.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Had my 1 week followup yesterday, the doctor says my right eye is very dry, which is causing the blurring, and gave me some Retaine ointment to use at night.

He didn't seem worried, but has anyone had experience like this? Next followup is in July, but he told me I could call his personal number if I had any problems.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Dry eyes after LASIK are extremely common, especially for the first month or so. You should be using drops at least once a day for now, generally preservative free drops that come in single use containers. Are you doing that?

Yeah, per his instructions i've got cipro (2x-4x daily), prednisone(2x-4x daily), xiidra (2x daily), and artificial tears in the vials (hourly)

In addition, a retaine PM ointment at night in the right eye.

Still getting fluctuations, and like I said, he didn't seem worried, but being paranoid is what I do.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

18 days post surgery, still getting some dryness and some blurriness, particularly in my right eye. Vision away from computer screens is way better than at the computer, and night // low light is still a bit iffy.

Steroid drops end tomorrow, then it's just Xiidra 2x daily, artificial tears hourly or more, and night time ointment.

1 month followup is on 6/29. I'm not too worried though, my right eye fluctuates, feels almost like it's *trying* to snap into place, so it may just be a slow healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Update: My right eye is still very dry, so I'm now on:

Xiidra 2x daily
Minocycline 50mg
Refresh Liquigel as needed/hourly
Retaine PM ointment overnight
hot compress 2x daily.

Hopefully this will iron out the issue.