Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

Gentle Glide posted:

Not trying to thread hijack however i had a question about LASIK while everyone is here :D

I am 20 years old an an active duty member of the USMC. I know they have a list of people set to receive the surgery for free you just have to qualify and wait your turn, thats not my question though.

Am i a candidate?
20 Year old Male
both eyes are nearsighted 20/450 with astigmatism
corrected to 20/20
Have been wearing classes and contacts since i was 10 years old.

Does anyone see anything there that would DISQUALIFY me right away?

Nothing here disqualifies you out of hand. You need to see a doctor still, because there are factors that can disqualify a candidate that will not be readily apparent.

Camulos posted:

Do they give you anything to deal with them shooting your eyeballs with lasers? The idea of someone touching and being that close to my eyes makes me incredibly uncomfortable but I've heard they give you drugs that make you not care, anyone have experience with them?
Yeah they can give you valium if you're going to freak out and try to move your eyeballs or anything, but you don't need it if you have enough willpower to stare at a blinking light for 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

Pardot posted:

They gave me valium, but not enough for anything, I was completely lucid. I was fine in the willpower department, but it was defiantly the most terrifying thing that's happened to me. They cut my loving eye and pealed it apart!

You need to be lucid, because you need to do things, like look at a goddamn light. Yeha they cut your eye open, but afterwards you could see, and I mean before that they werent much good anyway so no great loss eh?

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

eyeshitinyourserial posted:

There is an alternative recently approved by the FDA that is coming into favor but is not as widespread as LASIK.

There are virutally no side effects, unlike some of the night time vision glare problems with lasik and if your eyes ever change enough that you need a different lens the old one can be removed and a new one installed. Lasik on the other hand is a one-time shot and if its not done just right you're hosed.

A few things with this:
1) LASIK is safe as gently caress. Honestly. People make a big to-do about the corneal flap and oh god what if my eye pops open and occurences like that are so rare they're about negligible. Really anything other than dry-eye is so rare its about negligible.
2) LASIK has changed a lot since it first became approved. Techniques and procedures have been refined and improved upon to reduce some of the side-effects/enhance some of the results. Technology like CustomVue and WaveScan have pretty much eliminated the night-time glare/halo thing, as well as consistently improved correction.
3) LASIK is not a "one-time shot and if its not done right you're hosed." LASIK can be performed multiple times on an eye to correct or enhance the original procedure. Any place worth its salt should do this for free if you had the surgery from them.

Implantable collagen lenses are good for people with exceptionally high myopia, as they can sometimes correct to stronger prescriptions than LASIK is able to. Other alternatives to LASIK are PRK (as discussed, a precursor to LASIK, still widely used) LASEK (similar to PRK, melt your epithelium instead of making a flap) and EPI-LASIK (newest, makes a flap out of only the epithelium, not the cornea).

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

jibberjabber posted:

I had LASIK done on Friday July 31, And my right eye is still a little blurry but my left eye is fine. Did anyone have one blurry eye after LASIK and how long did it take to get better? I'm kind of worryed that my right eye will stay this.

Your vision wont stabilize for weeks. Dont worry about it. And really this is probably one of those things you should ask your doctor if you're really worried about, vice the internet. If your surgeon isnt up to providing some basic info like that well, poo poo.

Happydayz posted:

how much of a difference does bladeless LASIK and custom wavefront make overall? And since it's so automated right now just how much difference does the doctor make?

I'm not talking about someone doing it out of an alleyway vs. a highly acclaimed doctor. However given how much automation is involved in LASIK right now I'd imagine that you hit diminishing returns pretty rapidly once you get to a certain level of surgeon competency.

Also - still up in the air between LASIK and PRK. I can deal with the longer healing process of PRK - so I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and do PRK instead of getting LASIK done. Only difficulty are the wide range of healing times quoted. A couple weeks? Sure. A month or two? Need to think about it

Bladeless is cool I guess but they are about the same as far as vision correction.
Paying for a good surgeon is worth it. yeah, the laser will turn off if you look away or do something stupid, but theres a whole host of things involved in any surgery that cannot be automated. And you only get the one set of eyeballs.

Unless you have a specific reason to get PRK over LASIK, I would go with LASIK. You can deal with the recovery time, sure. But if ya don't have to...

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

SteviaFan420 posted:

I'm interested in getting lasik or another procedure done but I'm a little nervous.

Would it be possible to have one eye done at a time, like wait a week or two between each eye so that if you go blind or something you aren't completely hosed?

This is possible but also and more importantly stupid. It will also most likely give you a serious headache.

• Locked thread