Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I got EPI-LASIK (basically PRK) at my doctor's recommendation. Price was almost the same.

With LASIK there is a small but nonzero chance of flap complications for the rest of your life. My doctor told me a story of a women whose dog hit her in the eye with its paw and she had to get the surgery redone.

I'm not going to defend what my doctor said or anything; I took his word for it and it's possible that he was wrong. That was just my reasoning.

There's also that PRK works with lower corneal thickness so a wider range of patients are open to it. I believe that the instance of minor complications (haloing, eye dryness, and starbursting) is less with PRK.

For the record, I'm a year downstream of my surgery with perfect vision and no side effects. I was at 95% at about 3-4 months. Best 2 grand I've ever spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I could go back to work in ~10 days.

At the time I wasn't driving anywhere (in Korea where public transit makes it unnecessary) I can't comment on that.

I won't lie, the healing process sucks.

1-10 days: lying around in bed listening to audiobooks. Able to use computers for short stretches. It felt like I had dry contacts in my eyes at all times, but couldn't so much as touch my eyes. Note that I didn't take any pain medications during this period, so that might help this process immensely.
10 days - 1 month: Able to use computers (a big part of my job), though uncomfortably. Day-to-day vision is the same or better as my uncorrected vision before, but still blurry. Fairly severe nighttime halos. Minor discomfort but this was mostly because I couldn't touch my eyes still.
1-3 months - Blurriness that fluctuates throughout the day, but better vision than before the surgery by far. In this period I tested 20/20 for the first time. All discomfort was gone by the 1 month point.
3-6 months - Vision almost perfect during the day. Still prone to aberrations at night. Nothing that I think would have interfered with driving.
6-12 months - MINOR aberrations at night--starbursting of distant light sources. I did drive during this period, with no ill effects. I could still see to drive if a car with its brights on was coming toward me, for example.
12+ months - No more aberrations, no dry-eye or discomfort.

I know I don't paint a pretty picture, but I'd pick PRK again simply because the healing process was never really an inconvenience to my life past the initial 10 day healing period. It was no worse than the discomfort I got from wearing contacts (your vision really sucks as contacts dry out, and you get aberrations).

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv At work now. I don't know my prescription off the top of my head but I'll try to find it later.

The Gay Bean fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 9, 2009

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I'm posting a ton in this thread but I'm bored at work so whatever.

I had mine done in Korea (where I'm living), the standard of care there was probably as good as back home. I paid 2 million Korean Won--at the time about $1700 US. This price included the surgery, eye drops, check-ups, and any follow-up surgeries that might be required.

The doctor was very experienced--thousands of surgeries under his belt. In general they are here, because Korea has one of the highest cosmetic surgery rates in the world, and LASIK is kinda cosmetic when you think about it. The clinic was in the middle of Gangnam, the poshest area of Seoul. I couldn't a better place if I tried. I asked the hard questions and they had a high satisfaction rate and new equipment.

The biggest issue with having vision surgery done in a country that you don't live in is that it's a process, not a one-time appointment.

-whatever days: pre-screening
day 0: surgery
day 7: Get the bandage contact lens removed.
day 14: checkup / eye drop adjjustment.
day 30: and every month after that for 6 months: check-up / eye drop adjustment.

Maybe it's a bit more feasible for LASIK, I dunno.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

FooGoo posted:

What was your pre-surgery prescription? So you have no issues with dry eyes or night vision now? Thanks.

Hyperopia, +2.75, +3.5

No issues with night vision or dry eyes.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

insidius posted:

To any of you that have had it done do you ever occasionally miss your glasses? I am still in the period where I can not get it done because of my shifting script but it led me to thinking about how I would feel of my old rituals dieing.

The two year replacement, picking frames, waking up every morning and trying to remember where I put my glasses when I was woken up in the middle of the night, that sort of thing.

Nobody misses those things? I guess I sort of wonder because I have worn glasses for pretty much as long as I could form a thought in my tiny brain and it almost feels like I would be giving a part of who I am away.

Coincidentally I'm at the 3 year mark. Some might call my surgery cosmetic, since my vision wasn't seriously impaired. I could see well without glasses, and with glasses/contacts my vision was perfect. Without glasses, though, my left eye would turn in and make me look like a special ed case.

I didn't know until after I got the surgery how much my quality of life would improve. It's the little things that all add up:
finding somewhere to put the damned things when swimming
Seeing the world through a perpetual cloud of haze (I never kept my glasses clean)
Getting acne on my nose
Constantly pushing them up and developing a facial tick consisting of pushing my glasses up with my facial muscles
Taking them off and then putting them back on when putting on a motorcycle helmet
Falling asleep with them on and waking up on top of broken glasses
Being late because I misplaced them
Holding on to them frantically so they don't fly off on roller coasters
Winter and walking into heated rooms, enough said

Don't get me started on contacts. They permanently changed the dryness and general feeling of my eyes more than LASIK ever did.

My corneas were thick enough that I can just get it done again at 40-50 when my vision inevitably fails like all old people, and I fully intend to.

Whoever says that surgeons never go under the knife is wrong. The clinic I went to didn't have an employee there who wore any kind of corrective lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Maximusi posted:

Is the halo complication permanent? I got mine over a year ago and still have a bit of halos at night. Since it's been this long, it probably won't change, right?

You can find my surgery stories in the annals of this thread. 2009ish? Too lazy to check.

Anyway, I got LASEK, and noticeable haloing lasted for over a year after that, but by the 3 year mark they weren't even really noticeable anymore. I can make halos appear if I deliberately look into a bright light at night, but to be honest I'm not even sure that wasn't there before.

• Locked thread