Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

I'm looking into getting PRK and my insurance company offers a discount through a company called QualSight LASIK.

They claim to contract out to local doctors and can somehow get a steep discount.

Anyone ever use them? They claim I can get LASIK/PRK done for $895/eye which is about half what I've seen elsewhere.

Is this legit/safe?

http://www.qualsight.com/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

I had my free consultation today and it looks like I'll be going through with it in about 3 weeks.

I'm leaning towards getting PRK and Wavefront/Custom done.

Is the general consensus that wavefront is worth the extra money? In my case it would be an additional $700, but the entire will would come to about $2640 which is pretty good for DC I think.

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

PRK doesn't involve a knife, they just scrap away some cells on your eye and then perform the laser stuff.

Here's a video I found when I was looking at what the procedure was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ASq7VUUyM

LASIK uses a knife or laser to cut a flap into your eye which is lifted up and then put back after they shoot your eye with the laser.

Here's a LASIK video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-TUMw1FTmY

PRK has a longer healing time but doesn't leave the flap that LASIK does. There is a chance the flap could come loose some time in the future from a sports accident. I've seen a lot on conflicting reports on how well the flap actually heals.

Wish I could find a definitive source on it.

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

I had my pre-op exam yesterday.

I guess my eyes are ideal for surgery according to the doctor. My prescription hasn't changed much in 5 years so I guess I'm good to go.

He seemed concern about why I wanted PRK but when I told him I don't like the idea of the flap he was quick to agree with me that it was the way to go. I guess they get a lot of people that just sprout out terms and have no idea what they actually want.

So in 2 weeks time I'll be lying in bed waiting for my eyes to heal. Can't wait.

On a side note... My Girlfriend has offered to drive me home after the operation. She hasn't owned a car in 5 years and will be driving through the streets of DC during rush hour... hopefully me and my car will survive.

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

I have my PRK surgery in less than a week and picked up some antibiotic eye drops to put in pre-surgery.

Do they normally run ~$89? After insurance they were $68.50 but this really seems extreme for 5mL of liquid. Hopefully I don't need to buy another bottle after surgery.

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Just got home from my PRK.

Had a bit of a dispute about how much they were charging me, they tried to charge $1000 over what I was quoted by my insurance company, But I got it settled and got the price I wanted.

Right now my eyes are starting to burn, I guess the numbing stuff is wearing off. Will probably be in bed soon enough.

Also just downed a percocet.. it's starting to kick in now...

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

intangible posted:

Puck42,

How are you doing now after PRK? I am scheduled for my surgery Monday the 19th and am very excited / nervous. How has your recovery been?

It's been going ok. It's been a little over a week now and I can see fine, it's mostly just reading especially on computer screen that are a little blurry. This is supposedly normal and will eventually go away.

The surgery was quick and easy, it's pretty much an assembly line process and nothing to really be worried about. They probably ran about 5 people through the procedure the 1.5 hours I was there.

I was fine after the surgery, took about an hour or two for some pain to start but it really wasn't too bad. The next morning and a couple days after it was difficult to see anything at all but by Monday I was fine and able to work. My recovery mostly consisted of me laying in bed sleeping and getting up every hour or so put in my drops.

The only complications I've had is that my contacts fell out a day early and when I went in I still had some abrasions, so they put new contacts on for a few more days. When I went back to get them removed they decided to leave them on for another week saying it will speed up recovery, I'm suppose to have them removed on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

My prescription is very weak compared to most people (-1.00). I can drive and do most things fine without contacts, but I have a hard time reading facial expressions from more than 5-10 feet away which makes life a little harder. Also, everything gets way worse at night. Contacts get dry too quick and glasses are a pain in the rear end. The money isn't a big deal for me. Would it be stupid to get LASIK with such a weak prescription or can it actually benefit me?

I had about the same prescription (-1.00, -0.75) and still found the procedure worth it.

It's nice being able to drive and read street signs easily from a distance.

• Locked thread