Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I've been thinking about LASIK for years. I wear -3.75 diopter contact lenses (I think that makes me about 20/350). They work fine, I see clearly, albeit with a bit of blurriness now and again. I don't have any troubles with contacts, but they are annoying to have to worry about, become uncomfortable when you leave them in too long, etc.

Part of the reason I want to get surgery is to not have to worry about contacts with sports anymore. I'm not a big athlete or anything, but I play frisbee / football / paintball and ski / waterski / swim / wakeboard fairly often. I hate wearing goggles for water events and I don't like having to worry about losing a contact.

I hadn't realized there was a distinction between laser surgery and knife surgery for this sort of thing. I thought athletes got laser surgery all the time?

Obviously I'll consult an eye doctor if I begin to consider it seriously. I don't have the money yet anyway. But I have a plan that will cover a decent amount of cost, and even though I don't pay much as it is (my contacts are covered in full by my vision plan and I don't often replace my glasses) I'm thinking of the surgery.

Anyone got any advice or thoughts on whether I should spring for it? Or should I just stick with contacts?

e: but see, I'm already confused. I thought PRK was knife surgery. Is it not? Maybe this is a good question to tack on - given my desire to remain active etc, what sort of laser surgery should I research?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread