Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

There's an awesome scene from How I Met Your Mother involving this same misusage by Robin, unfortunately it's not on Youtube or Hulu though.

"Don't they teach grammar in Canada?"
"They don't. They literally don't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Its not like this is limited to wrestling announcers, pretty much 80% of the population does this.
80% of the population aren't in broadcasting. It's inexcusable.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LividLiquid posted:

80% of the population aren't in broadcasting. It's inexcusable.

Would you say it's literally inexcusable?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

TL posted:

External occipital protuberance! :eng101:

I used this in conversation once when I was like 10 and my parents thought I was a loving genius.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Batmanuel posted:

JR taught me what a sternum was, so he is the greatest. :colbert:

All right, then where on the human form is the bread basket?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
So is Beth Phoenix actually pregnant or not because I have no idea anymore.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Karmine posted:

She is not pregnant.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Writer Cath posted:

All right, then where on the human form is the bread basket?

It's the abdomen or "tummy" area :)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They need to get Dusty back to the announcers table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

and also Brain.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Karmine posted:

Dave hinted in the Observer that her vacation was wellness-related without saying it, as he is occasionally wont to do, but the official line was that they just didn't have anything for her for a month.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

What was the last update on Bobby Heenan? Last I heard he was recovering from throat surgery. Did he pull through? Can he talk?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Captain Strange posted:

What was the last update on Bobby Heenan? Last I heard he was recovering from throat surgery. Did he pull through? Can he talk?

He can talk but he still kinda slurs his words and his voice has gotten really high pitched. He's also really skinny now. But he is getting better.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Dave hinted in the Observer that her vacation was wellness-related without saying it, as he is occasionally wont to do, but the official line was that they just didn't have anything for her for a month.

I never understood the tendency some of the more legit dirtsheets have to hint at Wellness cover-ups when it's completely unrealistic. Until half the company starts failing, the WWE suspending violators is good PR for them. If they would have covered up anyone's failure, it would have been Batista's, but no one has surgery to cover-up a drug test failure.

Why would the WWE want to keep Beth Phoenix's potential wellness failure under wraps?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

I never understood the tendency some of the more legit dirtsheets have to hint at Wellness cover-ups when it's completely unrealistic. Until half the company starts failing, the WWE suspending violators is good PR for them. If they would have covered up anyone's failure, it would have been Batista's, but no one has surgery to cover-up a drug test failure.

Why would the WWE want to keep Beth Phoenix's potential wellness failure under wraps?

On top of that, if something crazy happened, like Batista died of a drug OD, and it came out that they hid a Wellness Violation, Vince would be skewered more than he ever had been in the past. It really isn't worth it for them to hide a violation.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

On top of that, if something crazy happened, like Batista died of a drug OD, and it came out that they hid a Wellness Violation, Vince would be skewered more than he ever had been in the past. It really isn't worth it for them to hide a violation.

It's true. That's why they just don't bother testing Triple H, Batista and Cena.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Scott Stiner supposedly said that the WWE wanted to give him a drug test when he was there around 2003-2004ish. He said he'd gladly take a drug test if Triple H took one with him.

The issue was dropped.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Scott Stiner supposedly said that the WWE wanted to give him a drug test when he was there around 2003-2004ish. He said he'd gladly take a drug test if Triple H took one with him.

The issue was dropped.

That's one of the more infamous stories in WWE backstage lore. I almost don't believe it because it's in the same vein of the "movie-line style stuff people don't say in real life" poo poo like CM Punk's cop story, but then it's Scott Steiner who supposedly said it, so I find it easier to believe.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

The issue was dropped.

You see, in a normal drug test - you have a 50/50 chance of failing. But since its Scott Steiner, that percentage goes up to 75%. And then Triple H knows he will fail, so he won't even try.. so we have a 50/50 chance, plus 66 and 2/3, plus....

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

It makes sense if you consider that most of their information probably comes from the workers who are lower on the food chain. Experience has shown us that pro wrestlers tend to be lying/paranoid/backstabbing/jealous/full of poo poo/all of the above. Guys who are mid-card or lower probably feel the most pressure with the wellness program (they probably feel like they have the most to lose if they don't have a good look or spend too much time on the shelf for injuries) and so they come up with these theories, report them to their sources at the dirt sheets, and the dirt sheets run with the stories because they come from an inside source and are kind of juicy and scandalous.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I looked again at the Observer in question and the exact quote was "Phoenix (back after 28 days of being gone with no explanation)" which is Meltzerspeak for something fishy going on that he doesn't have enough confirmation to print.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

I looked again at the Observer in question and the exact quote was "Phoenix (back after 28 days of being gone with no explanation)" which is Meltzerspeak for something fishy going on that he doesn't have enough confirmation to print.

I don't speak Meltzer, but that reads, to me, as "this wrestler who is loved/respected by the Holy Cabal of the Internet Wrestling Community returned after being a part of TV shows on weekly basis and then suddenly not being written into the shows."

It definitely is written to spark interest in WHY she was gone, but like I said, it seems weird that Meltzer, generally regarded as one of the more reputable dirtsheet writers, would encourage speculation about something so absurd as the WWE covering up and thus balancing the legitimacy of their Wellness program on Beth Phoenix.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It's hard to explain without being a regular Observer reader, but Dave drops cryptic hints all the time in that sort of format. Now I'm curious, so I sent a question in for the next radio mailbag asking for elaboration.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Karmine posted:

It's true. That's why they just don't bother testing Triple H, Batista and Cena.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Triple H had some sort of job title that exempts him from being tested. Like since he sits in on the booking meetings, he's officially considered part of the "creative team", and therefore doesn't have to be tested.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Davros1 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Triple H had some sort of job title that exempts him from being tested. Like since he sits in on the booking meetings, he's officially considered part of the "creative team", and therefore doesn't have to be tested.

Someone posted before that residents of Connecticut are not allowed by law to be drug tested for a job or something, I don't know if thats true or why if it is true, other people wouldn't declare residency in that state or what, but someone said that once.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Someone posted before that residents of Connecticut are not allowed by law to be drug tested for a job or something, I don't know if thats true or why if it is true, other people wouldn't declare residency in that state or what, but someone said that once.

It is false. I live in Connecticut and I've been drug tested a bunch of times.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Karmine posted:

It is false. I live in Connecticut and I've been drug tested a bunch of times.

Then whoever said that is a dick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The issue was dropped.

I love this story because Steiner thinks it makes him sound like a loving genius and a hero when what it essentially says is,"Yeah I was cheating like gently caress and practically breathing steroids with every breath and sleeping in a big pool of liquid steroids and having sex with steroids but I found a way to get away with being a big loving cheating gently caress!"

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love this story because Steiner thinks it makes him sound like a loving genius and a hero when what it essentially says is,"Yeah I was cheating like gently caress and practically breathing steroids with every breath and sleeping in a big pool of liquid steroids and having sex with steroids but I found a way to get away with being a big loving cheating gently caress!"

Well, it was at the very least an effective way of illustrating a double standard.

Although was WWE even doing drug tests in 03-04? Cause that was pre-wellness.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Karmine posted:

Well, it was at the very least an effective way of illustrating a double standard.

Except it's the equivalent of an officer manager getting a phone-call from head office saying,"We need to send in an accountant to audit your department's books, there are some troubling things in your latest profit report we want to investigate further," and the manager replies,"Heh.... sure thing, you can do that...... so long as you audit the Executive Vice President at the same time! :smug:"

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jerusalem posted:

Except it's the equivalent of an officer manager getting a phone-call from head office saying,"We need to send in an accountant to audit your department's books, there are some troubling things in your latest profit report we want to investigate further," and the manager replies,"Heh.... sure thing, you can do that...... so long as you audit the Executive Vice President at the same time! :smug:"

If that Executive Vice President turned up for work every morning driving a Ferrari, wearing a huge fur coat and trailing dusty white bank notes down the corridor, yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

If that Executive Vice President turned up for work every morning driving a Ferrari, wearing a huge fur coat and trailing dusty white bank notes down the corridor, yeah.

Yeah except it isn't the job of the Scranton, PA Office Manager to dictate terms of when and under what conditions HE will allow his financial records to be gone over by head office. And since we're comparing Steiner/HHH, Triple H would be showing up to work in a pretty drat nice looking cadillac wearing an Italian leather coat and would be dropping $50 bills as he walked down the corrider. Steiner would be showing up to work in the world's only ferrargini, with 30 inch gold plated rims, the car painted bright pink with the words,"PIMP DADDY!" in day-glo lime on the hood. His coat would be made from the feathers of Dodos and he would toss $100 bills about him and smile wide to show off his diamond-plated grill as he screamed,"FINANCIAL MALFEASANCE IS THE BOMB, YO!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah except it isn't the job of the Scranton, PA Office Manager to dictate terms of when and under what conditions HE will allow his financial records to be gone over by head office. And since we're comparing Steiner/HHH, Triple H would be showing up to work in a pretty drat nice looking cadillac wearing an Italian leather coat and would be dropping $50 bills as he walked down the corrider. Steiner would be showing up to work in the world's only ferrargini, with 30 inch gold plated rims, the car painted bright pink with the words,"PIMP DADDY!" in day-glo lime on the hood. His coat would be made from the feathers of Dodos and he would toss $100 bills about him and smile wide to show off his diamond-plated grill as he screamed,"FINANCIAL MALFEASANCE IS THE BOMB, YO!"

And the fact that Steiner didn't do this, on TV, is why he failed in WWE.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Jerusalem posted:

Look you are just going to have to accept that Triple H is the devil and some people will love any time he is even partially made to look bad and if you are not down with that I have two words for you

shut up

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

So what you're saying is that you work for Dr Ken?

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
Is it true that Batista cheated on his wife while she had cancer?

(I aplogize if question has been posted already)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JavyOO7 posted:

Is it true that Batista cheated on his wife while she had cancer?

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Batista's "auto"biography said that he was nailing Melina while his wife was dying (if not before).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I thought that whole thing was made up, or was it just one specific quote that was made up, I don't remember but I remember something being made up.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

FishBulb posted:

I thought that whole thing was made up, or was it just one specific quote that was made up, I don't remember but I remember something being made up.

I remember this as well. It was a faked excerpt leaked before the book came out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moose Bigelow posted:

I remember this as well. It was a faked excerpt leaked before the book came out.

My understanding was that it was someone posting a "quote" that was based on things that actually WERE in the biography, but put together in such a way to make it look as bad for Batista as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But to answer your question I'm sure Batista was doing whatever you were accusing him of doing because he sucks.