Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

bradzilla posted:

Taker/HBK at Wrestlemania is the WWE style to a T. Minus the Sim Snuka camerman botch, of course.

I was also thinking that anything with Chris Jericho today defines the style. You know what you're getting with him: a solid, well planned, well executed, safe, exciting match. I mean, when was the last time he a)had a bad match, and b)injured someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

This was a classic WCW IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER!

Even Flair's family, if memory serves, was told the heart attack was real, and the situation can be added to the numerous attempts of WCW higher-ups trying to work the boys/smarks for no discernible reason.

So, yeah, this was a classless, tasteless work.

To add to this, a week or two later they had an interview with Flair's doctor, who revealed that blood tests showed some kind of toxin, implying that Bischoff had poisoned Flair. Then Flair beat Bischoff in a match for control of WCW, and the entire heart attack/poison angle was dropped.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Batmanuel posted:

I was also thinking that anything with Chris Jericho today defines the style. You know what you're getting with him: a solid, well planned, well executed, safe, exciting match. I mean, when was the last time he a)had a bad match, and b)injured someone?

I almost never find Jericho matches particularly exciting. He seems to move in slow motion, even when he's flying through the air. I never figured out how he manages that.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
he's full of hot air

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Maybe he avoids getting injured by falling slowly.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Supreme Allah posted:

I almost never find Jericho matches particularly exciting. He seems to move in slow motion, even when he's flying through the air. I never figured out how he manages that.

Clearly he's Proto-Morrison.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
He's got great psychology. Jericho/HBK is one of my favorite matches of all time.

He's been around for a long time; I don't mind him being a medium-flyer. He's still doing all those dropkicks (and the whip-to-ropes into running bulldog, which I swear I never saw anywhere before 2009 but really often now).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A WWE style match is getting your ringwork down to a good routine designed for a mass audience that takes at most 25 minutes to finish, and probably less than ten. Everyone has an established routine that an audience can follow along with, and there's a definite beginning, middle, and end. All matches are based on this basic framework.

Also there's a shitload of Irish whips.

The Paradol
May 26, 2009

by Ozma
Is the Austin/Booker supermarket match on any dvds? It's one of my favorites.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Does anyone know the last wrestling PPV to have an actual intermission? I remember WM 7 had one after the Warrior/Savage match. I can't remember one after that?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

DM Punk posted:

Does anyone know the last wrestling PPV to have an actual intermission? I remember WM 7 had one after the Warrior/Savage match. I can't remember one after that?

These only stopped once we got women's matches.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Kayfabe wise, which Diva has the worst taste in men?

Maria is pretty bad: Carlito, Santino, Ziggler... all these dudes who treat her pretty badly.

Kelly Kelly isn't terrific either: Miz, Balls Mahoney, Knox...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Writer Cath posted:

Maria is pretty bad: Carlito, Santino, Ziggler... all these dudes who treat her pretty badly.

Sunny. By far.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Writer Cath posted:

Don't forget Randy Orton!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Karmine posted:

Don't forget Randy Orton!

At least she didn't get punted.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

Chyna/Stephanie McMahon/Sable tie for the top spot

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
think Debra wins that one

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

FishBulb posted:

think Debra wins that one

Kayfabe wise? Grody was right when he said Sunny - she was passed around by all of the tag teams.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Kayfabe wise? Grody was right when he said Sunny - she was passed around by all of the tag teams.

Actually she was just following the tag belts.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Karmine posted:

Actually she was just following the tag belts.

Yeah, at a time when a lot of teams had the belts.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Wait I forgot about Woman.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

grody but still def posted:

Sunny. By far.

Yep.

Brian Lee/Skip/Phineas Godwin/Both Smoking Gunns/Faarooq

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Writer Cath posted:

Terri Runnels

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Matt Cruea posted:

Yep.

Brian Lee/Skip/Phineas Godwin/Both Smoking Gunns/Faarooq

LOD 2000.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

nyratk1 posted:

Terri Runnels

Yeah, gonna have to go with Terri; Goldust, Meat, the Hardys, Saturn, Raven...yipes.

Then again, Sapphire picked Dusty Rhodes, so maybe she's the winner.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, gonna have to go with Terri; Goldust, Meat, the Hardys, Saturn, Raven...yipes.

Then again, Sapphire picked Dusty Rhodes, so maybe she's the winner.

Sapphire also picked the Million Dollar Man.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

KungFu Grip posted:

Sapphire also picked the Million Dollar Man.

Before or after Dusty? Because if she left Dibiase for the American Dream, my point still stands.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

Before or after Dusty? Because if she left Dibiase for the American Dream, my point still stands.

And would also explain why DiBiase hates Rhodes from DiBiase's guest hosting of Raw. I still say that the best thing this guest host nonsense has brought is Cody Rhodes singing "Common Man" to Ted DiBiase Snr.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Sable. She sued Mr. McMahon for harassment and came back to the fed as his mistress. That also counts as the worst lawyer in wrestling.

Question: Say Big Show enters a big feud or falls off a cliff or something. Who would you team with Jericho for a long term, heel dominant run? Who would you choose to beat them, and how far out would you put it?

Personally, I think Jericho/Regal would be an amazing tag team. They've both proven they're brilliant on the mic, they're seasoned submission wrestlers, and they're both arrogant pricks. I'd give'em six months with it and maybe drop it to Miz/Morrison in a TLC or other huge-term PPV event.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Edge definitely had the best taste in women.

EDIT: To answer the prior question, Jericho as a one-man tag team, as was speculated for a while, would be an interesting diversion for a month or two. But if he somehow manages to coax heel Punk out of the title picture and into his smarmy grasp they'd make an unbelievable team.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 9, 2009

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I remember a while back, somebody posted a clip of Stephanie McMahon ripping off Sable's top in a parking garage.

This was on Smackdown, a taped show, and was a vinette, also pre-taped. How the hell did Rena Mero's boobies make it to air?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CM Junk posted:

Edge definitely had the best taste in women.

EDIT: To answer the prior question, Jericho as a one-man tag team, as was speculated for a while, would be an interesting diversion for a month or two. But if he somehow manages to coax heel Punk out of the title picture and into his smarmy grasp they'd make an unbelievable team.

That would be an interesting bit of trivia.

Jericho would have held 2 belts at once (WWE & WCW), 4 belts at once (WWE & World Tag), and was also a co-holder of 1 belt (IC Title with Chyna).

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I remember a while back, somebody posted a clip of Stephanie McMahon ripping off Sable's top in a parking garage.

This was on Smackdown, a taped show, and was a vinette, also pre-taped. How the hell did Rena Mero's boobies make it to air?

The answer is...that happened on raw. not smackdown.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

The answer is...that happened on raw. not smackdown.

No it didn't. The entire segment was based around Stephanie taking back Smackdown. Also, John Cena was in the segment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

No it didn't. The entire segment was based around Stephanie taking back Smackdown. Also, John Cena was in the segment.

July 24, 2003 to be exact. And apparently this show also involved Stephanie asking Cena to spank her.

I absolutely do not remember this episode, and I'm not sure if this is because I didn't see it or that I did and scoured it from my memory.

To answer Livid's question, I can only assume that no nudity was actually shown and because of this they could get away with it and hope that it enticed more young horny people and old creepy people to watch.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

4 belts at once (WWE & World Tag),

Uh, that's still one belt there, sonny. They're unified so it's only one belt, even if the WWE and World tag belts haven't been replaced. Same thing with the WWE & WCW title, it became the WWE undisputed title as soon as he won both.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 9, 2009

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
Bradzilla: Ultimate killjoy.

He had two physical belts.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

here the segement in question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKbBs4qy2g

they black bar it

the end

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

The Croc posted:

here the segement in question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKbBs4qy2g

they black bar it

the end

I beg to differ:

:nws:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7829035853103006947:nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I beg to differ:

:nws:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7829035853103006947:nws:

Think shes wearing pasties, but the video isn't clear enough to tell.
:goonsay: