Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

rotinaj posted:

What's Raven up to these days?

He's also feuding with Sandman's son...

quote:

PWU: Wrestle-Reality & Boyle's World Gym presents:
"The 5th Anniversary - UNSCRIPTED"
LIVE @ Boyle's World Gym
11000 Roosevelt Blvd. #19
(215) 677-1GYM (1496)
Philadelphia, PA
Saturday September 26th, 2009
WorldGym.com for directions

HUGE DOUBLE MAIN EVENT!!

*WWE Hall of Famer GEORGE "The Animal" STEELE will be on hand to induct the first 2 members into the PWU Hall of Fame, and to meet the fans!!

1. PWU World Title Match:
TEDDY FINE (Champion) vs ARAMIS

2. BAD BLOOD GRUDGE MATCH:
The Sandman's son TYLER "Twisted Sand" FULLINGTON vs the former ECW Champion RAVEN

STAPLE GUN DEATHMATCH - 5 staples wins!
"Indestructable" JOE ETTELL vs "Crazy" ERIC SHEA

SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE QUALIFIER: FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE!!
The over 500lb. Dr. RUTHLESS and KWAME vs. AHTU & "Big" BOB STEELE (the members of the winning team faces EACH OTHER November 7th to determine the world's 1st ever Super-Heavyweight Champion.)

*THE DARK REALM interview segment returns hosted by ROCCO "Helter" SKELTER. His guest TBA.

Also scheduled:
*PWU:WR founder/promoter Johnny Kashmere will announce the brand new General Manager of Wrestle-Reality in the ring.

*Plus at least 5 more huge matches Also WWE Hall of Famer GEORGE "THE ANIMAL" STEELE, Former ECW Champion RAVEN and all of the stars of PWU:WR will be available to meet and greet the fans and take pictures.

YOU'RE INVITED to the OFFICIAL PWU AFTERPARTY: Immediately after the UNSCRIPTED 5th Anniversary event the PWU stars and staff will be headed to 'Scruples at the Oakford Inn" Gentlemen's Club for food and drinks. Scruples is only a 10 minute drive from The World Gym. You must be 21yrs or older with valid photo ID to enter. NO COVER CHARGE. Directions and info at TheOakfordInn.com

"Card is always subject to change with little or no notice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wow, PWU can't even run the Arena anymore.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

But they can have a hall of fame!!! :buddy:

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

I always love the "You are invited to the after party!" parts at the bottom of those things. There was a poster for an indy event here in Iowa, and it always made me crack up that the bottom said "After party at my sister Suzy's! (Address)". I can't explain it, but it makes it seem even more indy, and I always imagine the party wasn't cleared with his sister. Just a bunch of sweaty wrestlers and sweatier fans showing up at this lady's house late at night for a party.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Hall of Fame? Dont you need to be, well, famous, to have a hall of fame?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
How old is Tyler Fullington now? Like 20?

If the original ECW was still around with Paul E in charge, I'd LOVE to see a Raven-Tyler Fullington feud. But Paul E is the only person I'd want to see booking it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rotinaj posted:

What's Raven up to these days?

Does he still have a wrestling school in Atlanta? Last I heard, he'd opened one with 6-Pac's help.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Staple gun death match where 5 staples wins? Pussies.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I won an autographed Raven card from his Twitter. It was a TNA trading card :unsmith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I won an autographed Raven card from his Twitter. It was a TNA trading card :unsmith:

Did you win it for predicting how many times he'd use the word tremendous in a given week?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Did you win it for predicting how many times he'd use the word tremendous in a given week?

Or by how often he updates his blog? (hint: never)

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
You know what's a terrible idea? A super-heavyweight title.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wazzu posted:

You know what's a terrible idea? A super-heavyweight title.

Yes. I'm shocked that Vince didn't think of it first, though.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Can someone explain a WCW moment to me.

Halloween Havoc, not sure what year, Hogan vs Sting(c). Firstly Hogan is meant to come out first, doesn't, then they announce Sting and he comes out, so they then have to once again announce Hogan, and finally he comes out, but not in his ring gear.

Hogan gets into the ring, has words with Sting and the ref, then lays down, and let's Sting pin him. Crowd boo's the hell out of it.

What the hell was that all about? Typical hogan BS? Typical WCW?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

freeranger posted:

Halloween Havoc, not sure what year, Hogan vs Sting(c). Firstly Hogan is meant to come out first, doesn't, then they announce Sting and he comes out, so they then have to once again announce Hogan, and finally he comes out, but not in his ring gear.

Hogan gets into the ring, has words with Sting and the ref, then lays down, and let's Sting pin him. Crowd boo's the hell out of it.

This was the first PPV Russo booked in WCW. He was trying to do a shoot angle, because that is all he knows how to do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

freeranger posted:

I think Russo wouldn't Hogan to lose clean to Sting so Hogan did what Hogan does.

I've also heard that Russo wanted to start off with a worked shoot to be cool, so who knows.

Hogan + Russo = what happened

that's all I know for sure

e:f,b

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I thought that happened with Jeff Jarrett? You're telling me that happened TWICE with Hulk Hogan?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yellowjacket Hawky posted:

I thought that happened with Jeff Jarrett? You're telling me that happened TWICE with Hulk Hogan?

Yes, we are. He also re-created the Montreal Screwjob at Starrcade 99! (Vince Russo that is.)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

He also re-created the Montreal Screwjob at Starrcade 99!
Elaborate please.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Bret Hart had Goldberg in the sharpshooter, special guest ref Roddy Piper rang the bell and awarded the match to Hart even though Goldberg didn't submit. Somehow or another this led to the reformation of one of the last versions of the nWo but those particulars escape me right now.

This is far better known as the match where Goldberg nearly killed Hart with a superkick.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TL posted:

How old is Tyler Fullington now? Like 20?

If the original ECW was still around with Paul E in charge, I'd LOVE to see a Raven-Tyler Fullington feud. But Paul E is the only person I'd want to see booking it.

Sandman would be the mentor to his kid, then halfway through the angle turn on him and join Raven (because they were around back in the day, and there's no bond like a wrestling bond) using all the tricks he never told his son.

Then in the blow off Tyler is putting up a good showing but getting cut off at the pass every time. Sandman, his heart touched by his son's desire to follow in his footsteps, gives his son rousing encouragement to help him counter the Evenflow DDT into a pinfall.

It's so predictable, but with Paul E. at the helm it would loving work.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

It's so predictable, but with Paul E. at the helm it would loving work.

Did you just call a feud you totally crafted by yourself without any basis in reality "predictable Paul E."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Sandman, mind addled by booze, forgets whose side he is on and canes the gently caress out of Raven.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

freeranger posted:

RUSSO!

His first WCW pay-per-view. Happy? No? Russo, as others have said, made no less than three WCW pay-per-view matches end in screwjob victories trying to recreate Montreal.

The last time he did it he actually managed to kick Hulk Hogan off of television for the better part of three years, so I don't know if the ends justified the means, but at least some good came out of it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

RUSSO!

His first WCW pay-per-view. Happy? No? Russo, as others have said, made no less than three WCW pay-per-view matches end in screwjob victories trying to recreate Montreal.

The last time he did it he actually managed to kick Hulk Hogan off of television for the better part of three years, so I don't know if the ends justified the means, but at least some good came out of it.

wcw died

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Axissillian posted:

Did you just call a feud you totally crafted by yourself without any basis in reality "predictable Paul E."

It follows his style of booking?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So Jack Evans's corkscrew 630 is still the flippiest move right?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

projecthalaxy posted:

Pretty much, though it doesn't stop someone like Yoshitsune from trying.

Corkscrew SSP!

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
That certainly is an amazing way to drive your head into someone's knee

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
How exactly did people realize wrestling was fake? I don't watch it and I don't live in the U.S., but I heard people thought it was real like 20 years ago.

Was it just a gradual process or a GREAT REVEAL or what?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Foul Fowl posted:

How exactly did people realize wrestling was fake? I don't watch it and I don't live in the U.S., but I heard people thought it was real like 20 years ago.

Jack Pfefer exposed the business to the New York Daily Mirror back in the 30s, but even before that people had their suspicions. I mean, grown men punching each other in the face without leaving bruises or knocking out teeth is pretty telling.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

I personally figured out wrestling was fake when I saw the tag team of Steve Blackman and Ken Shamrock coming out to face the New Age Outlaws and the Outlaws didn't cry and run away.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

when hulk hogan lost to the ultimate warrior

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

freeranger posted:

From The Death of WCW, which really every wrestling fan should own:

quote:

And then there was Hogan versus Sting, which never took place. The idea Russo wanted to get across was that he told Hogan to lose the match and Hogan didn't want to. So Hogan went out in street clothes, whispered something to Sting, then lay down so Sting could pin him and win the WCW title. Nobody watching had any idea what in the hell was going on, the cameras quickly cut away, and the announcers never bothered to try to explain it. They attempted to explain what was happening in the main event, saying Goldberg versus new WCW champion Sting was non-title. A few minutes later, Goldberg pinned him and was handed the WCW title. The show ended with everyone in a state of utter confusion.

Going into the October 25 Nitro, Goldberg was the WCW World and U.S. champion. However, J.J. Dillon explained that Sting versus Goldberg from the night before was not a sanctioned match, and therefore, the belt had been held up. A thirty-two-man tournament was set up, with the final two men squaring off at the next PPV to determine a new WCW champion. The first tourney match took place in the Nitro main event. Bret, on a losing streak, beat Goldberg not only to advance, but also to win his U.S. title.

So, yeah, it was a Russo SWERVE to fool the smarks he so desperately craved approval from, while at the same time fueling his fetish for vacated championships and title tournaments.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Foul Fowl posted:

Even when we were kids and thought it was real, my friends and I still knew how to wrestle ourselves to make the moves look good without actually hurting each other, so I guess everyone pretty much always knows on some level.

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

tzirean posted:

I don't ever remember this happening, perhaps I was a little too young at the time. I'm going to see if I can hunt down a video of this.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm a fan of shooting stardust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKFyaiHlmOw 32 seconds in

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

tzirean posted:

So, yeah, it was a Russo SWERVE to fool the smarks he so desperately craved approval from, while at the same time fueling his fetish for vacated championships and title tournaments.

Just reading about the booking of late-period WCW makes my head hurt.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kentucky Shark posted:

Just reading about the booking of late-period WCW makes my head hurt.

The way that book makes it possible to understand so much of WCW's booking, and the job it does explaining at least the concepts behind the un-understandable parts, makes it a miracle of modern literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tzirean posted:

The way that book makes it possible to understand so much of WCW's booking, and the job it does explaining at least the concepts behind the un-understandable parts, makes it a miracle of modern literature.
That book is also full of glaring inaccuracies. I have old Nitros on tape that they talk about and poo poo happens very, very differently on more-than-a-few instances.

I enjoyed the read, but it's hardly a trustworthy source.