Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sabu/terry funk barbed wire was pretty grotesque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Made You Look posted:

What's the story (kayfabe) with HHH and Steph? I remember she originally hated him, then turned on Vince and they had the whole McMahon/Helmsley era. But then for some reason I remember her wanting to divorce him or something towards the end of my first segment of being a wrestling fan. Once she started hating HHH was around the time I stopped watching, with an show here or there. Whenever I did watch it looked like they were broken up or whatever.

So what's happened with them in between that and HHH's priceless reaction when he was handcuffed and Randy was going to punt Steph. Was that supposed to be a sort of kayfabe breach to add emotion or something, where the fans know they're not really "divorced" or whatever? I was just really confused

Edit: For reference I was about 9-10 years old when all of this happened and had just started watching wrestling so I had no idea what the gently caress was real/fake/a shoot or whatever. Also I was/am a huge HHH mark. I have no idea why my 9 year old brain loved HHH and absolutely hated the Rock (and had no feelings toward austin).

she like faked a pregnancy or something because she thought the marriage was going to poo poo and HHH found out and called her some real nasty names and then they made out on the 15th anniversary show

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jacquelines boobies popped out at some event with carnage in the name of it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I have reason to believe (wrestlecrap books) that if Alvarez wasn't on board, Death of WCW would be just as much of a clusterfuck as WCW itself

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

During 1997 in the heated Canada vs. U.S. feud, there was that guy named the Patriot who wore an American Flag on his mask. But, I don't seem to remember him doing anything. Can someone tell me? Also, why did Brian Pillman join the Hart Foundation, other than he was a heel?

The Patriot was poo poo. I think Pillman joined the Hart Foundation because of a mutual hatred of Austin but I could be wrong :shobon:

e; i guess im wrong

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i think the harness was just not that safe and it was an accident

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

this gets asked a lot but whatever, who was that one WWE writer that used storyboards and everyone loved but then he died or left or something?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

Pillman didn't kill anyone.

ATTEMPTED

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The push didn't go to Bart Gunn at all. Brawl for all was a shoot tournament and Bart won legitimately. Then they put him against Butterbean because they were pissed off that he ruined Dr. Death for them, and Bart wouldn't turn down a fight (says hardcore holly in his shoot interview). Then Bart got de-pushed to hell and released shortly after

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

3:16 promo it's also a pretty well known smarky internet fact

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

X-Pac heat has always been when a heel or whoever gets booed, not because they're doing a good job, but because people want him off their TV. Who it applies to is what's argued about.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Did you hear the crowd go bonkers for Ted pushing Randy down in that match?? A split would be hot hot fire

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I've also heard LividLiquid (and possibly others, but none come to mind) say that Death of WCW is filled with lies and bullshit, but other than this very forum I've seen nothing else about it. What gives?!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Oh I have the book and have read it more than once, the question was directed more towards errors in the book

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Well the Observer is widely known for just printing whatever the gently caress Dave can think up

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Just send an email to mailbag IMO

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Orton and HBK are fantastic at selling, and really so is Cena until it's time for the hulk up super babyface comeback

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

OK, I was wrong apparently about WWE losing money when their game is a sponsor of a PPV. The publisher ponies up the cash. But then there's something I'm still fuzzy on. Doesn't it seem counterproductive to advertise to an audience that is probably already theirs? The people buying have already seen the commercials and probably bought the game already or have decided not to. Doesn't it seem wasteful to spend more money to sponsor the PPV?

Maybe someone can explain it to me because I must be missing an obvious point or something. Does anyone know why it's a smart move finacially to do this?

Holidays are coming up

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bearnt! posted:

I was curious as to what the overall opinion here was about which Wrestlemania match is Shawn Michaels best.

vs. Angle

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Punk's first cash-in was ~GAB2008

Second one was ~GAB2009

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dusty udder smoker posted:

His first cash in was the first Raw after the draft kicked in when Edge came out to gloat.

Yea, after Night of Champions, so a few weeks before GAB2008

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Timby posted:

Who was the guy posing as a cameraman who botched catching Undertaker doing his suicide dive during WrestleMania 25, resulting in Undertaker landing squarely on his head?

sim snuka

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

I remember during one of the many Cena/Orton matches last year, Cena dropped a blade and the ref picked it up. Are there many similar instances that have been caught onscreen?

it wasn't a blade. this was during the hell in a cell PPV which was during the current no-blood policy.

but to answer your question yes that has happened before but I don't know any specific examples

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

What were these Hart tirades?

it was sometime leading up to wrestlemania 13 he got real pissed at vince and said "this is bullshit!! frustrated isnt the right goddamn word for it" and other bad words

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKVm3Jbd0NE

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ToiletLaw posted:

I've got a dumb question again, and don't feel like searching through all this for an answer. It's about submissions.

I'm taking jiu jitsu to help with my weight loss and Monday I put on a single wing choke (tazmission) on a guy. I realized that without my other hand in the gi collar, it doesn't really work. Led me to think a bit.

How do pro wrestlers come up with submission moves? Do they always hurt when they do them? Are they designed to look cool for effect more than realism, or are they just intentionally applied light (like an armbar)? For example, the hold Danielson put on Jericho didn't look too painful (objectively, as Jericho sold it like amputation) versus the Walls of Jericho he put on Danielson (which looked more painful due to the knee in the back of the head/neck and Danielson was tapping within 2 seconds)

Anyways any insight on this is useful. Obviously I'll never be able to bust out the walls of jericho in jiujitsu, but likewise I doubt I'll ever see a Peruvian Necktie or Darce choke in WWE as they're effective but not very showy. I would mark out for a flying armbar though.

some may be painful in execution but wrestling is fake so the point is to look painful rather than be painful

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the only new people really pushed to the moon are drew & sheamus...both hhh's buddies. makes you think. . .

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

CrankyProf posted:

Dryan Branielson is being pushed to the moon on NXT, though...

0-4

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yes because the losing streak gimmick worked for

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Free Market Gravy posted:

I think Danielson is ridiculously overrated, so keep that in mind when you read the following post.

To say the WWE is burying Danielson is absurd.

Does the WWE do losing streak angles to punish/bury people? Yes.

Now explain how it makes sense to use a huge chunk of TV time on a new weekly TV show to bury a guy who's never been seen before by most of the audience. Include in your answer an explanation for why the guy they're burying has a bio that is twice the length and infinitely more impressive than anyone else's on NXT.

who said hes being buried?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

PsiKoTicK posted:

He's being berried, they are going to put him in a pit and throw various types of fruit on him. Blueberries, strawberries, rasberries, you name it!

:laffo::lol::drat:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Free Market Gravy posted:

Then what was your point?

that he was not getting a jesus push. there is a middle ground you know ;)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

was a face around this time last year during orton vs. mcmahons

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Has there ever been a thread where WH2K has come up with it's own ideas for storylines? Because that would be pretty neat.

yes. it wasn't.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Save Russian Jews posted:

it just makes it worse.

Actual question: who is your bet for the next monster heel, and/or will there ever be another?

a new guy

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I DON'T WANT TO SEE THIS!

I WANT TO SEE STUFF THAT DOESN'T SELL!

I WANT TO SEE CALENDARS THAT STILL SAY 1986!

I WANT TO SEE THE BERLIN WALL!

I WANT ANTHONY MICHAEL HALL TO BE THE BIGGEST MOVIE STAR IN AMERICA!

I WANT TO TURN FROM A GREAT MIDNIGHT EXPRESS MATCH TO SEE CROCKETT AND TUBBS TAKIN DOWN A NEW FOE!

I WANT AIDS TO BE CALLED GRID!

I WANNA SEE KEVIN ARNOLD CHASE THAT ADORABLE WINNIE COOPER GIRL!

I WANNA WATCH ALF DO HILARIOUS THINGS TO UPSET WILLIE TANNER!

nope

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

EyeRChris posted:

Just curious if its ever happened.

Has TNA ever recieved a 5 star match? I figure Daniels / Joe / Styles the first go round was a good canadite for it but not sure if I ever heard of a match recieving the infamous 5 stars.

yeah, same match

edit; joe/angle didn't get 5

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

George Kaplan posted:

How many foreigners have been in WWE that have not had a whole character built around their ethnicity (or a more recognisable ethnicity that they might pass for)?

Because Drew McIntyre and Kofi (V2.0) are the only ones I can think of right now.

are you loving stupid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

Reminds me of the best question ever asked to Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez. "What happened to the mansion that Bret Hart purchased from Monty Burns." They then seriously try figure out what mansion is was and if he still owns one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxLZA_VgszU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

It's probably true. I don't care as much as I once did but if I found out tomorrow Triple H was dead, I'd probably celebrate in a "Hey the fucker's gone out of the business!" way. I'd feel sad for his family and friends but... yeah I'd probably still celebrate. I was making Chris Benoit jokes like an hour after he died.

:stare: