Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

I always love the "You are invited to the after party!" parts at the bottom of those things. There was a poster for an indy event here in Iowa, and it always made me crack up that the bottom said "After party at my sister Suzy's! (Address)". I can't explain it, but it makes it seem even more indy, and I always imagine the party wasn't cleared with his sister. Just a bunch of sweaty wrestlers and sweatier fans showing up at this lady's house late at night for a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

May not be that wrestling related, but it is used here all the drat time and I'm oblivious to it.

Where did "the crowd went/is going banana (no s)" come from?

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Axissillian posted:

Its ridiculous, the casual fan knows who the Dudleys are, they would not know who Team 3D was unless they saw a picture

It would be like saying the name and gimmick Hulk Hogan means nothing and he could make just as much money and be as big a draw as Terrence Bigguy

The Dudley Name is a draw

I remember reading a while back (wiki corroborates, but grain of salt etc) that they tried to fight legally, but were unsuccessful by the time they showed up in TNA, so they went with Team 3D (and apparently also tried to trademark the name Deadly as a replacement).

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Who all have the dirt sheets reported as being "in the dog house" in the last year or so?

I remember Kendrick, MVP, Punk, and Bourne, but was anyone else reported as being in trouble at some point?

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

This wasn't just a big buyrate. It was the most PPV buys WCW ever did outside of a Starrcade. And the only two Starrcades with more buys are 97 and 98. Their third biggest number of all time. This is the definition of why you use celebrities, to make more money than your wrestlers would on their own. Wrestling isn't about big ratings or more fans, it is translating the most number of people into paying customers.

The buyrate from Malone and Rodman had nothing to do with Leno and if you knew anything about how the PPV business works you'd know that. WCW didn't know the buyrate for Bash at the Beach until after Leno's match. If you think Leno wasn't planned well before Bash at the Beach happened you are very naive. Eric Bischoff had a huge celebrity fetish long before Bash at the Beach 98. He used Rodman and Kevin Green long before.

Wrestling has always had a strong connection with celebrities anyway. People talk poo poo about celebrity involvement now, but it really is just an extension of "seeing what worked" with the older Wrestlemanias and WCW's stuff. Relatedly, what was the first huge celebrity involvement with wrestling?

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Von Linus posted:

Muhammed Ali also Large Japanese Guy (whose name escapes me).

Antonio Inoki

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

In the end pointing to a show doing a slightly lower but still giant rating against a show that is completely on fire and saying the angle didn't work or was a bad idea long term is a joke. It shows a complete lack of understanding of what killed WCW, and how the wrestling business operates.

Exactly.

Analogy:
-2 wrestlers put on a fantastic match. It is hugely over with fans and critics, the crowd is on fire.
-Immediately afterwards, 2 wrestlers put on the match of their careers, 5 stars across the board, universally accepted as the best match on the card, if not the year.

You don't say match A was a bad match just because it went on before another amazing match. In the same way, you can't say WCW's angle/show "didn't work" because WWF's were blazing.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Sugar Blaster posted:

My favorite is Taz/Tajiri because Tajiri is my favorite wrestler ever and I love the way he snarls at Taz like a feral animal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vivz6e_EVnM

Taz catching Tajiri's leg mid-kick and turning it into a Tazplex through a table is the definition of streets ahead.

He would have seen that coming if he wasn't so streets behind.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

CVagts posted:

I don't agree with this (I'm named after my dad and grandfather, different middle names though), but in the wrestling world, it doesn't really do a guy any favors. Children of famous wrestlers already have the stigma of having to fill their fathers' shoes, and having your son be the exact same name as you just adds to that pressure.

Follow-up on this: how good was Rey Mysterio Sr.? Was he anywhere close to his son in terms of his in-ring prime?

This was a couple pages ago, but the original Rey Mysterio is actually Jr's uncle. As for in-ring, he's pretty decent but I haven't seen a lot of his stuff. He was also in Wrestlemaniac, which is one of my favorite cheesy horror movies.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She received hate for that? I thought all the hate was for Melina with some left over for Morrison because the two decided to treat Trish like poo poo instead of one of the greatest women's wrestlers ever coming back for a Wrestlemania match.

Hell, she was the only 1 of the 3 mentioned girls in the gently caress, Marry, Kill segment of Perry Saturn's shoot that he wouldn't kill. (The other 2 were Lita and Missy Hyatt).

Also, question:

I just watched the AWA documentary. I know AWA had a huge impact due to bringing up all of the great stars that transferred to WWF, and Gagne was a staple in wrestling at the time, but is Gagne truly as important as so many of the interviews portray him? Or is it a "We're making a documentary and inducting you to the HoF so we are gonna slob that knob"? It just seems like there is a lot of Greg, Verne, and the inner circle crediting Verne for drat near everything in wrestling.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Grandpa Pap posted:

The documentary was a bone Vince threw to Verne, is basically what I'm saying here. :v:

But but but Verne had to disconnect from the NWA because Thesz was scared of him, and it was Greg's idea to get Hogan to come in and become trained to be Hulk by Verne, even though Hogan wasn't good enough to be champion, but good enough to take parts of his Japan and merch money (w/ a grain of salt since Hogan said it), and Verne created PPV and wrestling TV and every star ever, and he was the greatest wrestler of ALL TIME! :qq:

/AWA Documentary

Also, it's weird watching the WWE's WCCW documentary and hearing Kevin defend Fritz a lot even though he seems disappointed in him, and reading about the non WWE doc where he talks about Fritz threatening him with a gun etc. But then again that was probably made around when the Von Erich's were being inducted so they kept it less depressing.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

I'm watching Rise and Fall of ECW right now and they mentioned ECW having the first triple threat match, in 1994. That can't be true, is it? The 70s, 80s, and 90-94, and no one thought of 3 dudes wrestling? Or is Heyman "adjusting" the truth again?

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

It is something that seems obvious. I think there had even been triple tag team matches.

I do love Heyman claiming Sandman pretending to be blinded and staying in his house and not answering his own door was "further than anyone had gone for living the storyline" in a world where The Sheik threw fireballs at fans who recognize d him on the street.

And Bubba claiming he and Devon invented flaming tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Random question: Who do you think had the most potential athlete wise that just got wasted, either through booking/creative dropping the ball, or the wrestler just not stepping up?

I think a good case could be made for Sean O'Haire(rip). He was 6'6" doing cruiserweight moves, great look, decent promo. He got saddled with the cool devil's advocate promo, but it couldn't translate well into the ring (though it really is similar in some ways to the Wyatt Family).

Any others that may be well known or not?