Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Deranged Hermit posted:

You know which new ref I like now? That skinny black guy. Skinny black guy owns.

El Generico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DM Punk posted:

WWE needs a female ref. And I dont count the special ref thing they do at house shows where one of the other divas is the ref for a women's match either.

why

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader Summerslam '92
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4aos7_shawn-michaels-vs-vader-wwf-title-m_sport

yer about 4 years off bro

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TL posted:

What about the Dudleys, though? I know they've been in TNA for a few years now, but I was under the impression they left WWE on relatively good terms,
lemme put it this way: no

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hudson posted:

So my question is, was that power bomb a botch and did WCW just try to play it off as something more than it was and run with it?
It was a botch and they ran with the angle of the powerbomb being an outlawed move....for like 6 months.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

At one point WCW outlawed going to the top rope or throwing someone over the top rope - I can't imagine how anyone thought that would be a good idea.

The throwing someone over the top rope rules is something that's been in wrestling for years, it's not just WCW.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kerck Pnameless posted:

I only got back into WWE last year, and I'm noticing Raw is really sucking right now. Within this decade, what other time periods in Raw's history can compare in awfulness to this "Guest GM Era"?

02-03.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Justice Grieves posted:

Swagger's plenty talented, but it's impossible to get over as lisping without being labeled, at some level, as a homosexual. And I don't like it particularly when gay=heel. Actually, I don't think pro wrestling is really able to deal with homosexuality at any level beyond mockable stereotype (Billy and Chuck was less than a half decade ago).

ric flair and dusty rhodes would like to disagree

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

When I go back and watch WCW I notice how loving tight the ropes are when compared to the WWE/F. What is the reason for this?

Fake edit: The one wrestling school I went to was run by Jimmy Valiant and the ropes there were tight as gently caress too. But I got no explanation about it.

WCW used cables, WWF/E uses actual rope.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TL posted:

Since they were promoting a Submissions Count Anywhere match with DX, and hyping DX as a team not tapping before tonight, I got to thinking: I don't think I've ever seen a tag team match end with a submission before. It seems really counter intuitive to the story of a normal tag match. I'm sure it's happened before, but when?

Big Show and Jericho vs Cryme Tyme

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

22 years ago?! That's what you're using for proof?

Money Inc defeated The Natural Disasters by submission to win the tag belts, that recent enough for ya? :colbert:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

:downsbravo:

What's the deal with the red ropes? I know the WWF used red, white and blue ropes until sometime in the 90s. Was changing to red ropes only just part of the attitude era, or what was the reason for it?

at first it was just a change for the era, and now its more of a brand identifier; smackdown blue, ecw silver.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TL posted:

I obsess over the whole rope color thing. Raw is red, SD is blue, ECW is silver. Which is fine. But then I got really hung up over the rope color on the PPVs. I liked when they used the black or white ropes for the big 4 shows, but then WrestleMania XXIV used red ropes and I got upset. Now I don't see any rhyme or reason to how they determine what ropes are used. Best I can think is that they'll use whatever fits their design for the show.

look more carefully, they had Orange Ropes. Citrus Bowl. Orange Ropes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

I'm all about rope color too, and I think for PPV they should be using something besides red and blue all the time. Summerslam is the only PPV I can recall this year other than red or blue ropes for PPV. Even Wrestlemania had standard Smackdown blue ropes.

cobalt actually. it was a much darker shade of blue.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 15, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

I sure hope he's not there - I'm going to a house show this Sunday.

Background: I stopped watching wrestling from the beginning of 2002-around the 2009 Royal Rumble. Perusing YouTube, I found a couple clips with Triple H involved in some sort of racist angle with Booker T, which also seemed to involve Vince dropping the 'N' word talking to Cena with Booker T nearby.

I know in today's pretty PG wrestling world this wouldn't fly but what the hell was the reaction to this back when it first aired?

The Booker T storyline was absolute bullshit. The entire time leading up to his match against HHH for the WORLD TITLE at Wrestlemania 19, Triple H constantly cut "your kind don't get to win championships at mania. You're just supposed to entertain us and make us laugh." The entire buildup had it done in a way that Booker T HAD to win the title. Then a few days before Mania, everyone found out Goldberg was signing with WWE so they just had HHH retain in the worst possible way. He hits the Pedigree, HHH collapses, rests for about 10-20 seconds, rolls over, covers Booker, gets the 3. Made Booker T look like a total joke and like he didn't belong anywhere near the main event. Add in to the fact that Goldberg and HHH didn't even start feuding until the summer, and it's even more baffling. It makes no sense why they couldn't have given Booker at least a 30 day reign or something.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

not sure if this fits but the time dx showed up on raw in a limo and owen dives through the roof and they drive off.
you know looking back, the DX vs Owen feud was some good stuff

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't the Oklahoma thing start with Oklahoma claiming that the women were all crap and that even a fat sack of poo poo like him could beat them, and end with his BEATING the women's champion in a match and afterwards they all ganged up and poured mustard on him, thus proving that he was incorrect in his claim that a fat sack of poo poo like him could beat them..... as long as you paid no attention to the fact a fat sack of poo poo like him did beat them....?

actually, it was for the cruiserweight belt, not the women's belt

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

A Dapper Man posted:

Do Mexican wrestling companies often steal things from other companies? I'm watching AAA on Galavision and they did some backstage bit and the DX theme is clearly playing in the background. I wouldn't think that WWE would give them permission to use that, would they?

copyright laws in mexico aren't exactly something that can be strongly enforced.

Over-Sold posted:

How many of yesterday and todays' top singles superstars were not members of a successful tag team/stable? Now, I'm not counting people who've been in a tag team match, here or there, or even people who won the tag team belts on a fluke. I'm talking about people in legitimate teams, like D-X or the Hardyz.

So far the only two that me and my friends were able to come up with were Rey (teaming with Batista for a while doesn't count, and since none of us could recall how long he was co-champ with Eddie, we decided it was OK... though if it was longer than 4 months I guess I'll have to admit he doesn't count either) and Cena (he was a champ with HBK, but again, that was more to promote them as reluctant allies than as an actual team). None of us knew enough about pre-Attitude Era stuff to say for certain.

Hell, I'll make this a two parter, to make coming up with names a bit easier, who was a successful singles champ BEFORE becoming a tag team/stable member? I think Undertaker is OK here, ignoring his stint in WCW under a different name and gimmick because that doesn't count, and his affiliations with Paul Bearer (manager =/= stable/tag team).

I don't know enough about ROH to make a ruling yet on Punk, but I know he was in a stable with Joe and Cabana. If they were a 4 Horsemen-ish stable, then Punk's out of the running, if they were just some guys who hung out, then he's still OK I guess.
Punk was never in a stable with Joe, but he was the leader of the Second City Saints, which was Him, Colt Cabana, and Ace Steele.

quote:

How over were the Hollywood Blondes? Was he Steve Austin then, or still the Ringmaster?
They were fairly over but not to a main event level. He was still billed as Steve Austin, Ringmaster was just a WWF gimmick.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 4, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Over-Sold posted:

Hmm... was he a redneck rear end in a top hat?

actually he was a pretty boy type character.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

So who do you guys think hAs the best interference music? For me it is a tie between Austin and Big Show. Maybe it is because they have such striking, distictive beginnings, but those two have always been the best for me at:

Wrestler: :words:
*glass breaks* or WWWEEEEEEELLLLLL
Wrestler: aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

kane's fire.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

The name was much less stupid back in those days, when the television was still a new and wondrous invention.

The TV was new and wonderous in the late 70s and 80s?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Is it even true that Cena's promos are heavly scripted because the WWE got fined by the FCC during one of his raps?

Absolutely not.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Uh do you have to be a paying member for this?

it all comes with the site. You paid to post here, right?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

What are some notable wrestlers that have criticized Bret Hart's handling of his WWF exit and the entire situation leading to the Screwjob? I am talking about his refusal to drop the title and generally his way of doing business and being "a mark for himself". I know Flair is quite negative on Bret but anyone else?

triple h/shawn michaels

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ColeM posted:

Bret is one of the most delusional wrestlers of all time! He actually thinks he is this "Big Canadian hero" and now look at him: he's a bitter old man who sits alone is his house all day long because no one wants to be around him. The fact that he still holds a grudge over the screw job is really sad. Shawn was a big rear end in a top hat too back in the day, but he has tried contacting Bret over the years to mend the fences, but he is still pissed off at him. I hate Hogan a lot, but Bret is up there too.

you've clearly never been to canada, they really do worship him like a big canadian hero.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

Bret was at ROH in July and the place went absolutely nut for him.

yeah but they go just as nuts for bobby dempsey so you can't base anything off that

Supreme Allah posted:

HBK is, was and always has been full of poo poo. His religious conversion does nothing to change this, and Bret is the only guy who is willing to publicly say what everyone is privately aware of. I'm not defending the guys bitterness or obsession over poo poo from last decade but HBK is a bag of douche. Now with Jesus Fish!

he's done nothing but put over guys in the past few years so i'd like to know what you're basing this off of.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 25, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

quote != edit

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The match is technically terrible, just like Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18.

Just like Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18, it doesn't matter one goddamn bit how technically terrible the match is. It makes me feel like a kid all over again watching it, two HUGE stars going toe to toe and the crowd going absolutely loving batshit over it.

wrestlemania VI: where hacksaw jim duggan successfully got toronto to chant U-S-A.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, still loving stupid though.

he was also mike awesome's half brother or something.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Karmine posted:

Warrior/Hogan was a technical miracle considering the ability of the two men involved. But yes, none of that matters because of the SPECTACLE BROTHER.

Also, Hogan kicks out right after the three count, presumably because he didn't want to put Warrior over TOO much.

the point of that three count was hogan took a chance with the leg drop, missed, and ultimate warrior just had a smidge more left in him than hogan. both dudes were taken to the limit. you have to remember that was the first time hogan had ever been cleanly pinned in the WWF since returning from AWA.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

To be fair, DX kind of buried legacy.

yeah cuz being in a feud where HHH couldn't handle them at all where dx and legacy traded wins back and forth and the only way DX could handle them was defeating them in a HIAC match is totally the definition of burying them, and now Legacy is on the exact same level they were on before the feud with DX.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

I was actually planning on making a thread for everyone to post what kind of stuff they like and who their favorites are, so people can look at that if they don't know what to get them.

Good idea/Bad idea?

it's a far better idea than pissing on an electrical fence.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I really like Mick Foley. But you can't make me watch TNA. So my question is, what has he done there and what is he doing now? If someone could do a little recap, plus some postives/negatives about his role, that would be a really good read :)

came in and announced he had purchased a large portion of stock making him the majority shareholder and de facto boss of tna (yet another authority figure), got irritated with the main event mafia, won the World Title at Lockdown from Sting, proceeded to have an absolutely lovely reign, lost it to Kurt Angle, dicked around with the Legends/Global/Beer Drinking championship for a while, and then went on to feud with Abyss for what seemed like forever.

positives: foley has a well paying job and works minimal dates

negatives: dear god, almost everything else he's done in the company.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 4, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

323LX posted:

I don't know exactly what errors are in the book, but I found it a very interesting read. I've read it I don't know how many times (it makes for good bathroom material). If you were a wrestling fan during the 90's you'll enjoy the book. I was into wrestling during the 80's/90's but I wasn't into all of the "behind the scenes" stuff at the time so it was interesting to me to read the backstory behind the in-ring events that I (mostly) remember.

Anyway, back on topic: Back in the late 80's or very early 90's, Jake "the snake" Roberts had a feud with Rick Rude in the WWF where Rude was going after Jake's wife. There was an incident where Rude had tights made with an airbrushed image of Jake's wife on the crotch. Jake warned Rude not to wear them again, and of course, Rude wore them again. So Jake comes down and kicks the crap out of Rude in the ring and rips the tights off. I remember watching this on WWF Spotlight and when Jake ripped Rude's tights off they blurred out Rude's crotch as if he was completely naked. I've always wondered, was Rude really naked in the ring or did he have a speedo or something on? I apologize if this has already been answered.

He had a thong on.

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Oh I have the book and have read it more than once, the question was directed more towards errors in the book

tons of ex-WCW wrestlers p much confirmed most, if not all of the stuff in the book was true when they went on bryan's radio shows. livid liquid is a die hard WCW fanboy. make your own judgments from there. And in regard to the "bird poo poo" WCW ad, please remember they tried to market a brand of WCW cologne with the draw for it being how badly it stunk.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 5, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

That there is no evidence that many of them actually happened, or actually appeared in the observer, or that they weren't taken entirely out of context or were a joke.

Meltzer had sources in WCW, but those sources were within a company that fostered an environment filled with bullshit rumors. The ones passed off to him made print. We have no way of knowing which are true and which aren't, but I'm pretty confident that a lot of that list is made-up. In some cases, I remember the incidents he spoke of and they didn't go that way at all.

It's really not a big deal, but only on Something Awful could I get poo poo on for saying, "Don't trust that list compiled by some random internet dude that's allegedly full of quotes from a publication whose journalistic integrity is questionable."

The bird ad doesn't exist until somebody finds it. Until then, it's a rumor that possibly appeared in a newsletter, was read by a fan who transcribed it, then passed it around the internet. I'm sorry, but that's not evidence.

By all means, read it. It's loving funny. I'm just saying it's not gospel.

This isn't true. Any given Monday's traffic would crush a shitload of the wrestling websites. The internet was huge back then.

As far as the misremembrances in "Death of WCW", I only really get angry enough to call them "Bullshit" when somebody sources it as some kind of official document. It's an opinion piece filled with glaring omissions, revisionist history, and slightly-off versions of actual events. It's a fantastic book, but it's not without its problems. It also got much of the story correct.

Post some examples please. And you are insane if you think the IWC was just as big or bigger in late 99-00. Do you have any idea how much lower percentage of people even had home computers back then?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 5, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

I think it was much bigger than it is now.

I used to post on all sorts of wrestling-related boards with huge populations that have been defunct for years now. The Zone, Rajahwwe forums, etc. Nowadays the only wrestling related board I even visit is this one. Everyone had a computer in 2000.

Come on man, by the time Sept 11th happened 01 the entire country was dealing with it online. If we were talking 94-95, I'd agree, but by 99-2000, everyone had a drat PC and they were using it to discuss how overrated The Rock is.
The entire community YOU knew may have talked about it online, but the majority of people either did not have internet, or if they did they had dialup. And you seriously believe the IWC was bigger? You have Observer Forums, CZWFans, ChikaraFans, DVDR, WH2k, various chatrooms, almost every indie wrestler has a message board of their own, WWE even has its own forum now. The sheer magnitude and increase of users shows that its much bigger now. Look at youtube, back in 2000, you had to look really hard to find a smark under the age of 18. These days, you have 8 year olds shooting on PHIL and PAUL and VINCE all over the place.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

By your own numbers we're talking about the PC boom period, where usage jumped 20 percent in the two year span between 1999-2001. It only gained 10 percent in the next four years. To me that sounds like a pretty popular time for online communities.

Still far smaller than today.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

We're not even talking about the popularity of wrestling among the general population in that period, are we? When a 3.x rating on Raw would have meant that half the males between 18-34 died in their sleep the night before.

A 3.X today is faaaaaaaar larger than a 3.X in 99/00. We're talking about the IWC, the INTERNET wrestling community, not the amount of casual fans that followed during the hottest period.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TL posted:

What did 1999 Internet think of X-Pac heat?

that he was a good worker with a bad attitude but had a fun tag team with kane and they looked forward to his matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

If you're going to get others involved in doing some wrestling research, can we ask about the attendance figures for WrestleMania 3. I still say that they didn't lie about the figure.

yet the guy who booked the venue for WWF does...strange.