Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Made You Look posted:

What's the story with Triple H's pedigree. I see one video where he has the arms tigered up the whole time (allegedly this being the first time he busted it out) and pretty much spikes the guy into the mat like he was doing a DDT with his knees. Then it became the flat face crusher with the arms held, and now he doesn't even hold the arms. Why and is there a story behind the first one?

By holding the double-underhook the entire way through the drop, Triple H (and anyone else doing the same thing) was liable to drop someone on his head and break his neck (I seem to recall footage of him doing just that during his early days in the WWF, 1996-ish). A while back he started pushing his opponent down to the mat as opposed to just spiking him, which, while less visually impressive, is a LOT safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JavyOO7 posted:

Is it true that Batista cheated on his wife while she had cancer?

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Batista's "auto"biography said that he was nailing Melina while his wife was dying (if not before).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parole =/= probation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Really, all Kellner did was follow a Turner directive to get the ratings back up, he looked at the money being spent on WCW, saw that the ratings were in the loving tank and the WWF was ruling the world, and he then said, "poo poo, we're hosed, liquidate the drat thing and get some cash flowing in here."

I'm not saying he was wrong, but it was indeed potentially short-sighted, since WWF/E programming started a pretty nasty decline as soon as Vince was the only game in town. That was the problem with giving the keys to the kingdom to a numbers guy, same with Brad What's-his-face (I can't remember the name, despite writing for WrestleLine at the time).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TL posted:

Can anyone pinpoint when it was that the Undertaker became the unofficial leader of the locker room? I know it's been at least a few years now, but I don't remember hearing about it so much during his American Badass phase.

I think it started with him basically being the locker room spokesman and threatening a mass walkout after Montreal '97, and just gradually evolved over time as people like Austin, The Rock, Eddie (:smith:), etc., started to leave.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Justice Grieves posted:

Lex

quote:

he wasn't on roids

:wtc:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Justice Grieves posted:

Eh, Bret Hart's book says that Lex wasn't on steroids

When Luger's house was raided following Miss Elizabeth's death, cops found a pharmacy's worth full of steroids and painkillers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

He has one blow for each quad.

I think.

His first quad injury occurred right at the start of the Two-Man Power Trip, in a tag match against ... Jericho and Benoit? I remember it happening as he ran into the ring, and suddenly collapsed. That was the time he ripped it completely off the bone. :gonk:

The second was at New Year's Revolution 2007, when he ripped it during that DX/Rated RKO match.

Those are his only two major quadriceps injuries, as I recall.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Was JR a heel during the palsy angle?

They tried to play it up that way. JR was pissed that Michael Cole had his job, so he brought in "Dr. Death" Steve Williams to be his personal bobo, set up his own announce table and acted like a dick for three weeks or so. He wound up slapping the poo poo out of somebody (Cole?), screaming "LOOK AT MY FACE WHEN I'M TALKIN' TO YOU!"

Then WWE realized what a loving horrible idea the whole thing was.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Writer Cath posted:

According to Foley, it was all Funk's idea.

The Chainsaw Charlie thing was Funk's idea, because he (for some reason) didn't want to be clearly identified as Funk. (I think he had recently done one of his retirement matches just a week or two before the angle started, which might have been a part of it.) As for the "Mick Foley" / "Terry Funk" thing, I think it stemmed from the guys' time in ECW, when they didn't bother with gimmicks and it was habitually ingrained in them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

The FCC has absolutely nothing to do with cable television.

Yes and no. The laws regarding the FCC's oversight powers technically allow it to regulate cable television (they're a bit murky), but thus far it has elected to stay hands-off, instead letting the cable networks self-police themselves.

As a result, the networks tend not to push the boundaries too far (for example, TNT pulled all Fred Dalton Thompson-era episodes of Law & Order for the duration of his presidential campaign, even though equal-time regulations have yet to be strictly applied to cable). If they start getting too crazy, though, the FCC would likely come down hard on them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Captain Strange posted:

Also, why did Joel Gertner ALWAYS wear a neck brace?

He started wearing it after he got beat up by Saturn and Kronus at an ECW Pay-Per-View. After a while, it just stuck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atticus Finch posted:

Someone gif Orton's overdrive on Taker please (roughly 8 minute mark).

I hate that move so loving much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I guess I can throw this here:

Are we doing a WH2K Secret Santa this year?

I'm in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TL posted:

I have to wonder if WWE is thinking of taking SmackDown somewhere else when their deal with MyNetwork is up. From what I hear, SmackDown can be tough to find in some markets. Problem is, I don't see who else would take it, aside from WGN, which gets even less clearance.

I don't think MyNetworkTV is going to exist by the time the WWE deal is up.

I'm pretty sure I've read before that Vince likes being able to boast that WWE has a scheduled presence on both cable and broadcast television, so I doubt we'll see SmackDown moved to USA. WGN America is not the most preferable option due to its smaller market penetration, but it might be the most practical. Heck, a lot of people were suggesting, after Superstars was announced, that WWE did the Superstars deal to secure a timeslot for SmackDown as a contingency plan in case MyNetwork went tits-up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Brock started his pro career in 2000, didn't win the WWE Title until 2002.

You're splitting hairs. You wouldn't say that people in FCW are in the pros, would you? Brock made his pro debut when he first appeared on television. That was in March 2002. He won the title in August 2002.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

Expanding on the football talk I started, I just found Goldberg was in the NFL for a while. Ol' Goldberg was drafted in the 11th round, the draft doesn't even go that deep anymore.

Played for the Falcons and ripped up his knee, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

Make a Wish doesn't pay people, right? Because that would make it way less cool.

No, it's strictly volunteer. Community service without the court order.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kentucky Shark posted:

It's not "just" 8 years...that's almost a whole decade, which means a hell of a lot. Especially when you go from 52-60. Flair spent the next 8 years of his life working pretty much a full WWE road schedule, which he really shouldn't have, and it took its toll on his body. There's not really a year you can pinpoint, but I do remember him starting to look really haggard when I came back to watching wrestling in 2003 or 2004.

I have to imagine that, coming from the era he did, there was probably a not-inconsiderable amount of substance abuse in his background.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dusty udder smoker posted:

........jesus you make me feel old.

Thank God I'm not the only person who had the same reaction.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DannoMack posted:

Has Undertaker ever gone on the record about the Montreal incident?

The only backstage stuff I've ever heard about Undertaker at Montreal is him telling Vince that if he didn't go apologize to Bret, the entire locker room was walking out, so Vince went to talk to Bret and got punched in the face.

Captain Strange posted:

Why hasn't Chikara ever tried to get on TV? It's family-friendly and quite well produced. I don't think it'd be hard to get backing.

Because Chikara is basically wrestling's biggest inside joke. If you take an average fan who watches Raw and a little TNA, and show him a program with wrestlers named Player Uno and Player Dos and El Hijo del Ice Cream, and Dave Coulier running the show, the general reaction is going to be, "What in loving hell is this?"

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 5, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

All this talk about Foley makes me think: Was Foley what one would consider a "glorified jobber" (at least in WWE)? I started watching wrestling at the twilight of Foley's career shortly before his "retirement" match with Triple H in 2000, but it seems like all he did was get the poo poo kicked out of him and lose his match. Big matches that come to mind are KOR 98 against Undertaker, the I quit match at Royal Rumble 99, Royal Rumble 2000, and retirement at No Way Out 2000. His win as Mankind in the "butts in seat" match seems to be a small token of appreciation for his work and dedication,and then he loses the belt in less than a month.

I could be totally wrong, but since my knowledge on Foley is low, I want to know about some major matches that Foley actually won.

Foley definitely spent a lot of time looking up at the lights, but that's part of why he was so well-regarded: Up until 1999 or so, when his body just started falling completely apart due to taking Nestea Plunges on concrete for so many goddamn years, he was usually able to make his opponents look like a million bucks. As Cactus Jack, he had very good runs in both WCW and ECW (great program with Sting in WCW, and he had a feud with Mikey Whipwreck that involved a Leonard Cohen LP), though he was derailed by Flair's booking in WCW.

He was never a five-star worker, and he never really needed to be. His charisma and connection with the fans, in all three promotions plus Japan, was what he needed. poo poo, outside of Hogan and Funk, didn't he become one of the most popular American wrestlers in Japan?

His Mind Games match with Michaels is excellent, too. Hardcore match with Edge at WrestleMania 22 and with Orton at Backlash '04 for the IC belt were very, very good.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 12, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, he won the triple threat at SummerSlam '99.

Von Dozier posted:

Question: Is there a reason he called it the Nestea Plunge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Dtzfed5Kw&feature=related

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

WM 16 (2000)? Also what were the reasons why Austin wouldn't job? I saw it on wikipedia too.

Austin and Triple H pretty much hated each other at that point (much of the heat coming from Austin, who was resenting Trips' rocket push after his WrestleMania 15 heel turn), and Austin was in his "complete dick" phase, so he absolutely refused to be pinned by Triple H. (In fact, I'm pretty sure that the match was originally a singles match until Austin threw his tantrum, so Foley got tossed in because he had nothing to do on the PPV.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Free Market Gravy posted:

I don't think Austin hated HHH; just the way HHH got his push. Seeing a guy get a disproportionate push because of who he knew rather than what he'd done

I thought HHH and Steph didn't get it on until later in '99 / early 2000.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

When did Mankind's theme change from the creepy, evil sounding song to the wreck theme? And was it when his gimmick changed from hosed up psycho guy to happy go lucky guy who got the poo poo kicked out of him or was it kind of a spontaneous change?

It changed the week after he beat The Rock for the title on Raw. His theme prior to that, though, was a modification of his original slow, string-only theme that lasted through late 2007, as it had a heavy percussion background.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fallon posted:

I was watching Wrestling with Shadows again and Vince's post-screwjob interview seemed pretty honest and low-key. How long did it take for them for Vince to become "Mr McMahon" based on this, was it soon after, or what?

Vince had begun playing the authority figure on television for a while, but as I recall, the "Bret screwed Bret" interview really created the Mr. McMahon character.

quote:

Was Bret ever considered a truly big draw?

Someone better versed than I can answer this with more quality, but as I always saw it, Bret was always a steady presence in the main event and he sold a lot of merchandise, but he was never a Hogan / Rock / Austin draw, outside of Canada.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tzirean posted:

I find it hard to give Foley too much credit for this when we know and he admits he was 99% unconscious and didn't fully realize what had happened; all he knew was that he was wrestling and wasn't finished. It's remarkable, yes, but it isn't great or admirable.

There's also some fog in there, as Terry Funk claims that both Cell bumps were planned and Foley talked to him about how to make the match watchable, while Foley insists that only the fall off the Cell was in the plan.

Both guys' minds are pretty much mush at this point, so it's impossible to say who's correct, but I lean towards Funk on this one.

But, really, if not for the two major bumps, no one would remember Taker / Foley '98.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't have a source for Funk saying that both major bumps were planned, but I swear I've read it. I may be wrong, but I am fully convinced that I've seen it written.

After watching it back-to-back with the HHH/Foley Cell match in February 2000, it really blows. Yeah, Foley's bumps are a little less impressive in 2000, but the entire match -- especially the segment when the guys are trying to exit the cell, not finding the gimmicked portions, and then just beating the hell out of each other -- (although it would be helped if JR hadn't used the "Mick Foley is broken in half" call not once, but twice, during the match), but it was still obscene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Who was the guy posing as a cameraman who botched catching Undertaker doing his suicide dive during WrestleMania 25, resulting in Undertaker landing squarely on his head?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I would ask why Undertaker isn't cripple or dead after that spot but YOU CAN'T KILL A DEADMAN.

He was pretty clearly out of his gourd immediately after the landing, which I'm guessing is the reason for the five minutes of Michaels farting around, trying to give Undertaker enough time to come to his senses.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LightsGameraAction posted:

1.) Why is Wrestlemania so far the only pay-per-view WWE is releasing on blu-ray if they went HD two years ago?

Blu-ray Disc is quite a bit more expensive per-unit to produce than a standard DVD. I would imagine WWE is waiting for the cost / benefit figures to make a bit more sense before putting everything on Blu-ray.

LightsGameraAction posted:

2.) Do any of the anthology sets have Chris Benoit edited out of them?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Since the incident, no matches involving Benoit have been on any new DVD releases by WWE, with the exception of the Royal Rumble Anthology Vol. III and IV DVDs that were reissued in January 2008, and the SummerSlam Anthology Boxset Vol. III & IV, released in August 2008, over a year after his death. Footage of Benoit is also shown in the Triple H: King of Kings - There Is Only One DVD, Batista: I Walk Alone DVD where he is shown in the 2005 Royal Rumble, Nature Boy Ric Flair: The Definitive Collection DVD, where he is briefly shown in a Four Horsemen segment, as well as "Viva La Raza: The Legacy of Eddie Guerrero" DVD, where he is shown in The Radicals entrance video, as well as during an Eddie/Benoit feud recap video. These make them the only four DVD documentaries that WWE has released since his death that acknowledged his time with the company.

quote:

3.) What are the odds WWE will ever release anthology sets for WCW/ECW pay per views?

It's possible. They've already done the Essential Starrcade collection. ECW's PPV history was so spotty, though, that I really doubt that there's enough financial incentive to put together anthologies.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 2, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I've heard that they were turning all shots of blood black and white for the 24/7 channel. I don't know if they done it yet with any DVD releases.

I especially remember reading that they did it to the Austin/Rock match from Wrestlemania X7 because that sounded particularly awful.
http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=94528&st=30

This is changing, because Rock / Austin at X7 is the #1 match of the decade on this month's 10 Count segment on 24/7, and it's shown in all its crimson glory. (In contrast to a year or so ago, when X7 itself was on 24/7, when every other shot was in B&W.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DannoMack posted:

How is Mizanin pronounced?

I've always figured it to be "MIZ-uh-nin."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think they disregard things like The Simpsons and Law & Order, as those only run between 22 - 24 episodes per year. It doesn't make the Did You Know crap any less disingenuous, however.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This was Shane in WWF Attitude.

Someone will eventually answer, painfully, for the decision of making Shane and King the commentators for Attitude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KungFu Grip posted:

Question: Who was the black guy in the FBI?

Mabel?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't one of the ironic things that it was Taker's piledriver that lead to the ban on piledrivers but one of the only wrestlers who was still allowed to do them because he was safe was.... Taker!?!

Of course, now when Undertaker does the Tombstone, the opponent's head is practically at his nuts when the impact hits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CM Junk posted:

The one ingredient listed on Slim Jims that will always stay with me is "mechanically separated chicken". That's the first and only ingredient I've read that's ever made me cringe.

Especially if you're aware of how it's made.

I am.

It's horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

It's getting to the point that I would almost believe they had staged an execution in the middle of the ring by gunpoint in 2000 WCW.

Tank Abbott did pull a knife and come within a few centimeters of slitting Big Al's throat on a live Pay-Per-View in 2000.