Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was 16 in 2000, it looked like he was going to cut his jugular to my then- and still-moronic self. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KungFu Grip posted:

I think Foley's second one is still good, but stay the gently caress away from his third one.

Foley's books are an interesting progression; in the first, he's basically writing in his happy-go-lucky, goofy, lovable guy persona. He gets crankier in the second, and The Hardcore Diaries is a few hundred pages of a horribly insecure man complaining that Vince is a douche because he didn't think Terry Funk could headline a Pay-Per-View.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karmine posted:

Mr Kennedy comes immediately to mind.

For the longest time, Edge kept going back on the shelf right when he was on the cusp of a mega push.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CVagts posted:

The problem was that I think only Bischoff and Vince were interested in it, and without TV, Bischoff didn't see any value in it.

Bischoff saw the value in it, but his backers in Fusient said, "No TV? No deal. No way we're investing eight figures in a property with no television agreement."

Then the price plummeted, and then Vince swooped in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

About the most high-risk thing JBL ever did was smoke cigars.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

George Kaplan posted:

I really want someone in Chikara to cut a classic two-guys-talk-one-guy-into-picking-a-fight promo in which they just paraphrase this scene. Especially if Delirious is Donny.

Bonus points if it's Two Gentlemen of Lebowski.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't think it'll be Orton, just because of his sometimes-bitchy interviews, his steroid history and his background with getting drummed out of the Army. He's not really the guy you want to have as your go-to media mouthpiece.

The Miz isn't a bad suggestion, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Ted DiBiase, Jr., evolve into that role.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It amazes me that Foley has never crippled anyone with that lovely piledriver of his.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

frankenfreak posted:

It's like Kaaaaane
on your wedding day

Holy poo poo. :lol:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KungFu Grip posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread? :psyboom:

Irony, apparently.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WeaselWeaz posted:

You're confused on your KotR failures. Mabel got a main event run with Taker. Ken Shamrock had a great feud with The Rock. Billy Gunn, however, completely failed on his, The Rock's, and the writers' part.

That horrible Ryan Shamrock / Val Venis angle really didn't help him out, either.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Web Jew.0 posted:

I think we can all agree that 99 - 01 Triple H was the best Triple H.

Are you kidding? His initial heel run, beginning at WrestleMania XV, was an abortion, and it took the Foley feud for him to really start getting over as a monster heel. 2000 wasn't bad, but almost all of 1999 was loving awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Endorph posted:

At one point in a MiTB match, I forget which one, Carlito and... I think Kennedy? do a heel team up and push Shelton off a ladder. He falls off the ladder, out of the ring, and onto a ladder on the outside.

It was such a bad bump that Carlito and Kennedy literally stare in surprise at him on the floor, then at each other.

That was the "Mom always told us never to play Money in the Bank in the house :gonk:" spot at WrestleMania 24.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CM Punk :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Here in Wisconsin, MyNetwork TV isn't even billed as such -- it shows up as "TVW" on the channel guide. When I was living in Dubuque, Iowa, it showed up as something like KSTV or something like that.

Basically, it's all the more evidence that the move to a channel that actually exists in more than 20 percent of American homes couldn't possibly come too soon.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 17, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

When I was in Iowa, the MyNetwork affiliate didn't even show SmackDown at the right time -- it was delayed two hours from 9 - 11 p.m. Maybe try another check outside of the timeslot? :shobon:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Okay, I have to ask, after Google and YouTube searches have consistently provided nothing -- what's the genesis of the Delirious / "Bah bah" thing?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Moose Bigelow posted:

He allowed it to be made and then refused to promote it whatsoever.

He refused to promote it to the point that lookalikes for Foley and Rock had to be used on the final one-sheet poster as well as the DVD cover, although the most recent edition of the disc has their actual faces on it. Basically, Vince thought it was going to be a fun little documentary about what happens behind the scenes, such as the whole "Puke" segment. Then Blaustein made a movie that said "Jesus Christ, this business chews people up and spits them out," and Vince flipped his lid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DX really didn't become relevant until the latter half of 1998 into the early parts of 1999 (until HHH's abortion of a heel turn at WrestleMania XV).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nystral posted:

How did Kurt Angle go from this in the WWE:

To this in TNA:

to me they looks very different and while I realize there is ~10 years between the two images. I can;t rack it all up to age.

Face the different, gaunter. The eyes look like they've changed color.

Heavy painkiller abuse and heavy alcohol abuse have similar physical symptoms: Bloating followed by a gaunt appearance after a flushing of the system, bags under the eyes, depression (which leads to sleep problems) and the like. Angle doesn't look like he's drinking his calories, which is a positive, but he doesn't look right. Angle was doing his best to kill himself, which is why WWE sent him on his merry way. In TNA, with the hilariously awful drug testing policy, Angle is ... well, he's Angle.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 23, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edwardian posted:

When SmackDown moves to SyFy, will it be keeping the same day/time slot?

According to the press release, it premieres on October 1 at 8 p.m. Eastern, so I would presume so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Graic posted:

Yeah, I know the kayfabe reason. I was just wondering why they decided to do that to go back to the Deadman gimmick Did they feel BikerTaker was played out, or the Deadman would work better as a part time special attraction? That actually makes sense, and I probably just answered my own question.

As I recall (and I'm almost certainly not remembering correctly), the reason for the Bikertaker switch in the first place was that Undertaker was tired of the undead gimmick, had been for some time (not being a huge fan of the Ministry of Darkness thing) and wanted to switch to something a little more realistic. (Hence, the Bikertaker.) But Vince had been trying to get him to go back to the Deadman gimmick almost since Day 1, and finally, after realizing that the whole Big Evil / Bikertaker thing really wasn't working (or selling merchandise), Undertaker relented and agreed to return to being the Deadman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shitty_Wok posted:

Sid "The Gaffer" Gamgee and his son Sam.

e. Any other pay-per-view matches end with a woman removing a piece of clothing and distracting the other guy/guys?

Because SummerSlam '88 totally rules in that regard.

Sable stripped at Rock Bottom '98, if that counts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus Christ. :regd08:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

triplexpac posted:

So what the hell is that wacky noise Mick Foley makes every time he throws a punch or gets hit. "HAZAH. HAZAH." or something like that

Foley has always made utterly incomprehensible noises when he's fake-fighting. He really played it up when he was playing Mankind (which made sense, as the character was a demented psychopath), but he's basically just continued those odd utterances for the remainder of his career.

I really shudder to think of what happens in the bedroom, especially since he's completely pussy-whipped to his wife.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I share my birthday with Johnny Ace and Kid Kash. :cry:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DannoMack posted:

Why was Chris Kreski replaced as head writer?

2000-ish was really when Stephanie began to take a far more active role in the backstage operations of the company, and eventually Vince decided that she should be running creative. I'm pretty sure he still hung around as a contributor for another two years or so, but getting demoted and replaced by the boss's daughter has to sting, I would imagine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

HOLY. poo poo.

To avoid getting too off-topic, IF Wade Barrett was to win the title at NoC, would that make him the fastest ever winner of the top belt?

That would be about seven months after his February debut, which still wouldn't beat Brock (five months) or Sheamus (six months).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cole used to be a correspondent for CBS Radio, covering foreign affairs, which is where the reference comes from.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hockles posted:

What is the initial chime that the Raw GM makes when an e-mail is sent? I want to make just that my text tone.

It's actually the "import complete" sound from iTunes. If you're on Windows and you have iTunes installed, it's at C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\complete.wav.

Or I could just upload it. :)

Edit: Wow, I'm way late.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

what is the current status if Jeff Hardy's trial? Is it just being pushed back or will it be starting soon?

Last report I remember, from June, was that the district attorney had dropped all charges except conspiracy to traffic opiates. His current trial date is September 9.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovy. I was going to be ticked off if he were somehow getting off scot-free.

In any event, I do know his next appearance is September 9.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FishBulb posted:

Peak? July 28th 1982

Beat me to it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FishBulb posted:

September is sweeps.

Unless there's been a change in Nielsen's methodology recently, sweeps periods are always in February, May, July and November.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KungFu Grip posted:

You can't make fun of Eddie Edwards for having a terrible ring name.

It is sad that his real name is Edward Edwards.

When I was growing up, there was a kid who lived down the street from me, and his name was Mathew Mathew.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Jobs does the whole "$1/year in salary" thing at Apple, too. (He takes the dollar so he qualifies for the company health plan.) His Apple stock options, however, have made him absolutely disgustingly rich.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BlueArmyMan posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Foley tell a story in his first book of almost the same situation? He'd bleed in a match if the other matches on the card toned it down, to find out the opener was a first blood battle royal?

Last blood battle royal. As in the last person not bleeding was the winner. :gonk:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

^^ Didn't WCW wind up hiring an outside security firm for Awesome's last ECW match, because they were so worried abut his safety?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My problem with Awesome isn't that he left. ECW was a tough place to work and the reward wasn't great enough. It's that he didn't tell Heyman he was done with the company. And I seem to recall he WAS getting paid (there's a list of people Heyman owes money to, and Awesome's name is absent, and it's a list that includes Corino, Storm and The Dudleys, who were man enough to lose on the way out, as was Storm), he just felt he deserved more because he was ECW champion.

I think Awesome did eventually get his money, because I imagine he would have murdered Heyman otherwise while both were working for WWE, but he had yet to be paid at the time he left ECW. Since you bring up Storm, here's what he says about Awesome:

Lance Storm posted:

Mike got a lot of heat for the way he left ECW, but a lot of that was unjustified. The true story is that Mike was owed a significant amount of money from ECW and he refused to sign his contract until he received all money due him. After repeatedly not receiving money promised him Mike accepted an offer from WCW that offered his family financial security. I’m not sure there is anyone in the business that would have done differently.

To amend that last sentence, I'm not sure there's anyone in any business that would have done differently. poo poo, when I was in Iowa and money was tight at our firm, the other owners and I sat on our paychecks so everyone else could get their cash dollars. I sure wouldn't expect someone to come in and work for free, with the promise of "oh, you'll get paid when we can pay you."

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 8, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leaving with the belt may have been something of a dick move, but it was the only leverage Awesome had. If he had just tossed the belt to Heyman and said, "See you, I'm going to work for Turner," there would have been no reason whatsoever for Heyman to make paying him a priority.

The only thing about the Awesome situation that helped kill the company was Heyman having to write out a big check when he probably wasn't planning on it, and therefore having more financial woes.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes, because up until then, everyone KNEW that ECW had money problems, but it had never caused anybody to flat out walk. The coffin was already built, this was the nail.

Yeah, Awesome leaving for another job because he wasn't getting paid (and saw the writing on the wall) is the reason ECW flatlined. It wasn't because Heyman is one of the worst money managers in the history of business and racked up $9 million in debt for a company that had next to no assets or income, no sir. Awesome left in, what, March of 2000? The company didn't shut down until more than a year later. He did nothing wrong, outside of saying, "Hey, I did the work. Fuckin' pay me."

Edit: Christ, you could probably make a better argument by saying that the infusions of cash from the WWF were more responsible for ECW's death, since being able to deposit those checks deluded Heyman into thinking he could keep on moving with business as usual instead of cutting costs everywhere. (I don't believe this, I'm just saying that it's at least a mildly better argument than :argh: AWESOME YOU COCK WHY DID YOU LEAVE WITH THE BELT :argh:.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 8, 2010