Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

WeaselWeaz posted:

Did Tommy Dreamer ever get a serious push on Raw or Smackdown? I was thinking about this, and I recall him having the hardcore title for a bit but that was it. I think he was even used as just a guy in the background in the Alliance.

He had a gimmick as a guy who eats gross stuff for a while, and he threw up in a bucket and drank The Undertaker's spit. That's the most attention I remember him getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He was on the nWo Hollywood team in the 1998 war games, but Hogan and Stevie Ray stabbed him in the back. I forget the lead up to the match itself.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I thought that the Spirit Squad was sweet as hell until they became job monkeys for DX.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He's just a ref from the WCW days that looks a little like Flair. I think the name actually came from a feud that they had with Macho Man in 1999.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He's like 7 feet tall.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This was Shane in WWF Attitude.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
No, I mean Shane was the commentator that said that phrase in WWF Attitude. Not JR.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Pile drivers were banned for a period of time, and are still only used sparingly today, so he needed a new finisher. He did do the tombstone pile driver on Triple H when he returned with the bad rear end gimmick, and that pile driver led to the ban in the first place because Triple H got a stinger from it.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LightsGameraAction posted:

I forgot about the pile driver ban, but I thought that was because of Owen breaking Austin's neck?

The pile driver ban came years later in 2000. The Austin incident happened in 1997.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This one is pretty good too. I miss wrestling being mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j65DpagyhI&feature=related

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I believe it is generally accurate, but severely slanted.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He beat Earnest Miller in "The Block" I believe.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Is there any dream matches that anyone wants to happen within WWE at the moment with their current rosters?

Edge/Christian vs. Miz/Morrison, both sides acting like heels.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
They told Juvi to slow down his in ring pace and stop using the 450 splash. He basically refused to, so the shitcanned him. He was part of the Mexicools for a while.

He is a total screwup. He got released from WCW for getting hosed up on PCP, and assaulting people in a hotel in the nude.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 28, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

dusty udder smoker posted:

they used to straight up share talent because the asking price was far, far lower. AJ had an asking price of $900 per show near the end of his ROH run, and the prices only go up. Also, 90% of the shows ROH runs ARE house shows. The only ones that aren't are the TV tapings (which only run twice every two months) and iPPVs (four times a year). MCMG are brought in sparingly because they're the cheapest ones to bring in. It's not just ROH, it's ALL indies.

They used to straight up share talent because none of the TNA wrestlers were signed to actual contracts. I remember that the wrestling news sites exploded when they signed Joe to an actual exclusive contract.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of pre-Russo TNA. It's also post-Russo, oddly.

He's like Napoleon III

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Save Russian Jews posted:

They're the same size

It would depend on the cut off weight. Edge is nearly 25 pounds heaiver.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

Wrestling is on television. You don't over-act when there's a camera two feet from your face unless you're Ric Flair or Dwayne Johnson and can get away with it.

If you're in a play, and it's being recorded, you still pander to the live audience. If you were doing theatre, and you pandered to a camera, the director would yell at you. Wrestling is basically theatre in the round. Camera or not, you have an audience, you work with it.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Sue Denim posted:

Okay, so I've got a question for you guys.

I was thinking about the WWE Hall of Fame and about which superstars were heading towards that status or have even achieved it on the current roster and that made me wonder... Who is the youngest WWE Hall of Fame inductee and what age where they when they were inducted?

I think Stone Cold, maybe? He was only 45.

*Edit* William Perry was 43 if you want to count him.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 23, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Around May/June 1999, I believe. In March of that year, he beat hogan in a cage match that gave him control of WCW, he went mad with power, and they had to have him committed. Scott Hall was there too for no reason.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 23, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Unless it takes place before 1996.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

CVagts posted:

$3 million. Low enough that if we sent the Wrestlicious dude back in time, he could get it. The problem is that there weren't any other buyers that could give them guaranteed TV time, so the WCW tape library and contracts and whatnot was deemed to be pretty worthless without TV in place.

This is a stupid in retrospect, because the DVD market was exploding around the time WCW was bought. Without the big money contracts they probably could have held out doing house shows, and selling DVD sets until they could get a TV deal.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Giant González makes his triumphant return.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This line is in like every wrestling article on Wikipedia, it's my favourite by far:

quote:

The championship was generally contested in professional wrestling matches, in which participants execute scripted finishes rather than contend in direct competition.

It shows wikipedia's hilarious failings as an encyclopedia, because really, you should just reference that the title is a pro wrestling title, and anyone who doesn't understand what pro wrestling is should read the pro wrestling article. You don't explain the concept of something that has its own entry, in every single entry related to it.

Imagine if every time you looked up a Canadian province in an encyclopedia it had a line like this, "Ontario s a province of Canada, which is a commonwealth dominion with a parliamentary government, formed by confederation in 1865."

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 31, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
You used to be able to do this with VHS tapes on John McAdam's Wrestling Library when it was still on the the go.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
WWECW had legit become my favourite wrestling show on the air by the time it was cancelled. How does Superstars compare to it? Does Superstars have story lines from week to week?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Off the top of my head, WWE now has the rights to the libraries of WCW, Smokey Mountain Wrestling, ECW, A lot of late 80s NWA stuff, the AWA, WCCW, and Universal I think? There are probably even more.

They basically own every major American promotion that was in business throughout the late 80s and the 90s.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
So basically if Nigel had gotten in, and Danielson was still there, WWE would have essentially had an "ROH invasion" equivalent to WCWs "WWF Invasion" in 1996. To bad it didn't work out.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Elix Skipper in Team Canada.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This is the best Mean Jean moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VV0Dcj1zPI

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

Bischoff hated him and after that he just seemed like poison. WCW fans were hungry for younger stars. Though as not too many people know, Ric Flair in WCW's very last main-event program. Not too many people remember the magnificent seven.

Who were the members again? I only recall Flair, Jarrett, Animal, Scott Stiener, and Rick Stiener.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Captain Charisma posted:

Was The Magnificent Seven angle the same one that brought us "Dusty's rear end"

Yes, on the second last Nitro ever, Flair had his head shoved up a mule's rear end in a feud between he and Jarrett and Dusty and Dustin. It was a perfect way to cap off a career in WCW of cross dressing, and being asked to be Mr. Clean.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I saw Bushwhacker Luke at an indy show recently, and out of curiosity, I watched a bunch of old Bushwhacker stuff on daily motion.

Holy gently caress they were over in the early 90s. There were arenas with 20, 000 people all miming the Bushwhacker Walk. Now, the WWF was pretty family friendly and PG level back then, so given that that's what they're going for now, why don't they go for the same sort of light hearted atmosphere they had in the early 90s?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I really think Mick Foley should be in the top 5.

1) The Rock
2) Austin
3) Mick Foley
4) Undertaker
5) DX

I'd leave Vince off it, personally, because he wasn't really a wrestler.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 22, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Does the WWE actually own the rights to Doink the Clown? I'm curious because he still makes appearances in WWE being portrayed by other wrestlers, but apparently Matt Borne still plays him in the indies.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Maryse, Justin Gabriel, Primo, The Great Khali, Yoshi Tatsu, and Vladimir Kozlov.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Tonfa posted:

*rants in french*

Eh. Gabriel hasn't been awful on the mic. (Though I thought English was an official language in South Africa?) That's a sad current bunch though.

I thought the white South African population generally spoke Afrikaans as their mother tongue? Maybe I'm wrong.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

The Croc posted:

there's 11 offical languages for South Africa, English is one of them.

Oh I know, I just thought that English was generally spoken by the black population more so than the white one, just because one of the issues with apartheid was that the white government refused to teach English in public schools. Like I said though, I am far from an expert on South Africa, Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit, but anyway, from his website:

quote:

048 What languages do you speak?
Afrikaans is my first language

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Right, Randy & Lanny were in the WWF at the same time and then in WCW at the same time.

While we're on the topic. What was the deal with Lanny and WCW? It seems almost like a waste of a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Gonzo McFee posted:

Raven got there first and has the action figures to prove it.

Did Shane Douglas hold any titles in TNA?