Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, he was edging towards Bikertaker at the end of his last Dead Man run. Talking more and giving Learning Tree-ish promos (the Big Show in the desert promo comes to mind). Then he got storyline suspended for reasons I can't remember, and when he came back he was a biker.

If I recall correctly, he got legit injured in 1999 and was out for a year, wasn't he? That was why they storyline suspended him.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Halloween Jack posted:

I always liked Goldust, and I always thought he was a really underrated worker. Somebody asked a few pages back about instances of wasted talent; is it fair to put him in that lot? Outside of Goldust, WCW had him do a :russo: worked shoot and TNA gave him a sceptre and a pet rat.

Dustin Rhodes had a pretty good run in WCW in the early 90s, didn't he? I mean, as good a run as one can have in early 1990s WCW. He won the US title IIRC.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Speaking of Barry Windham, what's the story with the Dirty Yellow Dog character? I remember reading about it years after the fact, but there isn't much on Wikipedia or anything.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 16, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Minidust posted:

What was the deal with "Big Dick Johnson"? Was it just one of those things that Vince found hilarious?

Like I realize he was one of the writers, but it's odd that he was in so many TV segments, most of which were in the PG era IIRC.

He was one of the writers in WWE at the time, and the gimmick was originally a punishment over some petty bullshit.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The funny part is these writers are actually not carnies. They're the struggling writers with MFAs and a script under their arm that are a dime a dozen in LA. Picturing Vince blowing a gasket and being all, "Who put mustard on my god drat steak-wrap? Get in that thong!" to some self-entitled douchebag who has to be a writer because they think any job that isn't writing is a fate worse than death will never not be funny to me.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Because it makes me feel good about myself.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I saw one live and couldn't see poo poo, but that's probably because a giant fibre glass palm-tree covered half the ring.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
John Cena is super underrated. His character is just really grating so everyone over 12 hates him. He got a good match out of loving Khali.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

VogeGandire posted:

Also, losing to Cena was Umaga's first loss. He had to lose at some point, so why not in a fantastic match for the top title against the top guy who, as people have pointed out, had to CHOKE HIM OUT to win.

Basically, that loss made Umaga look like a MEGASTAR, and is a perfect example of how to book a match where both sides look amazing coming out of it.

WE'RE GETTING CLOSER TO THE TRUTH.

I wish they didn't job Steve Austin out the Bret Hart. It totally killed Austin's push.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It was a championship scramble match.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Hogan had a few decent matches in Japan in the 1990s where he was busting out enziguris and poo poo. It's kind of surreal to see Hogan chain wrestling. Doesn't have the same big match feel as his match with The Rock, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxEDfufiwto

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

britishbornandbread posted:

Also, was Chris Masters' second run in wwe noteworthy at all? I remember him being insufferable in 05/06 when I was watching the product but I wasn't tuning in during the time of his second run. Did he improve in the ring? Did he have any good matches or feuds?

Chris Masters dropped a lot of mass and was actually pretty decent in his second run. He was tearing it up with the other jobbers on Superstars mostly. It may sound silly, but he has absolutely perfected his shoulder block. It looks really good.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Let's not forget Shelton's momma.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The Curt Henning challenging Brock to wrestle him still takes the cake. It's right up there with the story of him taking a dump under the ring when he knew the Warrior was going to be under there for most of Nitro. The world is a little less bright without this man. :smith:

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Valeyard posted:

You think Hogan had any kind of "no compete" clause with his TNA contract?

Ah ha ha ha ha ha.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Which one used to lick May Young's feet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3dr91-0DA

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 28, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The WWF did sign him as a jobber briefly, didn't they? I dunno man, WWF signed him in the late 1990s, WCW in 2001, he's worked a bunch for ROH and TNA. Dude has legit had a pretty decent wrestling career. There are a lot of great guys who have had worse.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 29, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Red posted:

So where do house shows fit in with the WWE's business model?

Up until Vince McMahon took over, live shows were the focus, with TV tapings put out there to basically advertise the promotion, and get people to buy tickets - right?

Then, as Hogan and crew got bigger, TV became more of a money-maker, but gates were still the big moneymaker? I'm assuming this because you rarely saw important matches on TV, and you had to buy PPVs to see important things up until the early 90s. Then Raw became a thing, then Nitro, then SD!/Thunder, and so on. Now you have guys like Hall/Nash/Hogan who are getting guaranteed money, but only want to work TV dates, and anybody who's got pull doesn't want to work non-televised shows.

Somewhere along the way, house shows became the place to experiment and try out matches before putting them on TV.

Are house shows a viable moneymaker? Are they really just to "practice" for TV? Will non-televised events eventually fade away, at least in the US?

House shows make up a huge chunk of WWE's income. They aren't going away anytime soon. I can't find the exact number now, but I believe I read ticket and merchandise sales at house shows still make up something like a third of WWE's profits today. You have to remember that they have two seperate house show tours going at once. There are 18 house shows scheduled for November alone, and every one of those will have a few thousand people. That's why there are like, a million guys on the roster who are hardly ever on TV. They use guys like Zack Ryder, Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel at house even when they're not on TV for weeks at a time. With the Raws, Smackdown tapings, NXT, House Shows and PPVs, there are probably only five or six days in any given month where WWE is not producing a wrestling show. It is crazy.

Usually wrestlers will practice spots at house shows leading up to big events. For example, Punk and Cena had a series of house show matches leading up to their Money in the Bank match in 2011, and they did a lot of the spots in that match on the house show circuit first. It tends to lead to fewer blown spots.

*Edited a bunch of times while I googled some stuff.*

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 30, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

HulkaMatt posted:

And just for fun:

This has always been fascinating to me. We basically got the same concept in the brand split. I wonder if WWF and WCW as brands as opposed to Raw and Smackdown would have worked better?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
To be fair, WCW fans were conditioned to accept Booker T as a main event player by the time if folded, and he should have been treated like a bigger deal when he came in, seeing as how he was the last real WCW champion and all. Goldberg hadn't even been on Nitro for like a year and Sting just popped in to say hi for the last episode.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, it sounds like the third-best show next to ROH and NXT. :colbert:

No joke, but during the summer of 2012, I would actually look forward to watching TNA every week. It was really good. If you like the way nXt is booked now, TNA was booked in a similar manner during that time, a fun show that knows what its supposed to be.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Vince Russo wrote for WWF magazine, and Vince MacMahon liked the cut of his jib, so he promoted him to write for WWE television. Vince Russo wrote a lot of retarded poo poo like Beaver Cleavage and the WWF gang wars, and took credit for the Attitude era and the WWF's success even though Austin vs. MacMahon and DX, two angle Russo had very little to do with, were the actual reasons the Attitude ear was so successful. Russo got all butthurt about the WWF introducing Smackdown and doubling his workload, so he bullshit his way into replacing Eric Bischoff in a struggling WCW by saying "I am Vince Russo, I am the reason WWF is currently successful. Hire me and I will make WCW just as successful"

Then he had a bunch of retarded angles that did poor ratings in WCW, so they turfed him and brought in Sullivan, ratings tanked even more under Sullivan, so for some reason WCW thought it would be a good idea to team up Russo and Bischoff, two guys that failed to pull ratings out of the toilet before, because the suits at Turner at the time were smart like that. During the Spring of 2000, he pushed the everloving poo poo out of career midcarder Jeff Jarrett and gave him the world title about 500 times and they became friends. Russo was shitcanned or bailed on WCW or had severe post-concussion syndrome, depending on who you ask, and was gone in late 2000/early 2001. Jarrett got Russo hired by TNA twice because Russo was his buddy, and that is what people do when they run a company; they get jobs for their buddies. That's the story of how Vince Russo had a 15 year career in professional even though he loving sucks. Bullshit and strategic friendships.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 1, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

sticklefifer posted:

He's kind of like a wrestling George Lucas in that way. He can come up with some pretty good ideas when he has a producer to tell him "No, we're not loving doing that you idiot." But when he's left to his own devices and can book and write anything he wants, it's "LOL GUNGANS".

I don't think they're the same at all. George Lucas wrote the original Star Wars movie in 1977, and that was pretty good. I challenge anyone to tell me one good angle that Russo came up with.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He's like that guy who is the accountant at a company, but he's not very good and screws up payroll every second week, yet he never gets fired for it because he is the manager's brother.

triplexpac posted:

This is impossible, don't get me wrong, BUT... I did really like that one show where they rebooted Nitro and started the New Blood vs Millionare's Club angle.

I dunno how much of that was Russo, Bischoff, whatever, but it was an interesting time to be a WCW fan.

I was pumped for this at the time too, but it's only because I wanted WCW to beat WWF in the ratings again SO bad.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He put the New Age Outlaws together.

Ok, I'll give you that. Even if you have the worst aim in the world, some of your piss will still get in the toilet.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Thauros posted:

The Foley vs. Rock WWF title feud in late '98 and early '99 was what caused me to tune into Raw more than Nitro and the one time his love of hotshotting worked out great IMO.

I really don't think Russo actually wrote this. I mean, the WWE has writers today, but we all know Vince and Triple H control the overall direction of the product. I find it very hard to believe that Vince's fingerprints were ever not all over a top feud, especially considering he was directly involved in the storyline. I'm not saying he didn't have any involvement at all, but Russo claims to have come up with a lot of stuff in the WWF that he didn't.

Bigass Moth posted:

Star Wars was a horrible mess that was only saved by last-minute editing by Lucas' wife.

Star Wars chat ITT

This is not a productive area of discussion. Plus I don't really care. The point was Russo hasn't written any good wrestlemans stories and claims to have written a bunch.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 1, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Did he have a behind the scenes job? He popped up in TNA like six month after his last match in WWE.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

sticklefifer posted:

So was KroniK's gimmick basically just supposed to be "smokes weed but we can't say that on TV"?

Because all I remember is them just being big dudes and that's it.

They stole APA's guns for hire gimmick. Their catchphrase was "Breakin' necks and cashin' checks!" The Harris Twins countered it by beating people up for a sandwich.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Has Daniel Bryan ever had a match that was a legit stinker?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

jscolon2.0 posted:

18 seconds

Eh, I don't know if I'd really count that as legit.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I missed Edge's whole face run at the end of his career, but I can't imagine how that'd work well. I was a huge fan of his, but everything about his energy and character scream "SLIMEY BAD GUY"

It was one of those situations like Punk in 2011 where he was just such a good heel, the fans started to cheer him and they had to turn him face, and he sort of lost his edge. (ha ha)

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Bigass Moth posted:

How does Meltzer apply his star ratings? It seems like there were a LOT of WWF/E matches in the late 90s/early 2000s from the usual suspects (Angle, Benoit, Austin, Jericho, Eddie, etc.) that he gave 4 3/4*, including the Wrestlemania threeway and the tag title MOTY with Edge and Rey. Does he have some sort of weird bias against WWE wrestling that makes it nearly impossible to have a perfect match even when the stars align?

It's not in any way scientific. I disagree with him all the time and you should too. It's more of a guide when you want to find really good matches to watch, really. Like, you miss a Pay Per View and Melter goes, "Oh Punk and Cesaro had a four and a half star match!" So then you go, "Oh, I should check that out." I feel like that's what most people use his ratings for as opposed to an actual objective ranking of matches.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Lawlor is the carniest carnie. You have to remember, this is the man who let Cole make fun of his recently dead mother in their feud.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
When this originally aired, I couldn't believe what I just saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRv2Wj051_c

It's been watered down because they did it again with Henry and Big Show, but at the time. Oh man.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

omgomgomg posted:

Was this planned to happen?

Yeah, it was a planned spot. It was such a surreal finish at the time though.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

sticklefifer posted:

Show/Taker was the Unholy Alliance, Austin/HHH was the Two-Man Power Trip. I don't think either was "official", just nicknamed by commentary.

Was Jerishow ever Big Show and Y2J's official name?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
She had a string of weird gimmicks. Remember the time her gimmick was basically, "This woman is a terrible singer?" They even did a Christmas album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

RacistGuidingLight posted:

String? Didn't she just have the mole, become a bad singer and a stint as a generic non-character in between?
I didn't like her cuz her outfit was unrendered video game texture blue and that bothered me.

She had this weird public relations gimmick at some point too, didn't she? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I don't care enough to google it.