Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has CM Punk ever had a 5 star match? I seem to recall reading about one or two he had in ROH, but I can't seem to find proof. I know there's a rating list in the OP, but that's just for WWF/E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

grody but still def posted:

Joe vs Punk II got 5 stars from Meltzer.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where did "CAN YOU FEEL YER TOWS?!" come from? I vaguely remember, but it escapes me at the moment.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

To be honest it's a legit question you ask and they pretty much do it all the time. I also thought the "CAN YA FEEL YER TOES?!" came from when the stage collapsed on Vince and he started shouting "PAUL! PAUL!"

I know it's a legit question, and I'd imagine if the person actually answered "No" it'd be super-:smith: but for some reason when we type it out like that it makes me laugh every loving time.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Reading the "You knew you were a mark when" thread has made me realize something. I'm not sure I understand exactly what a smark is. I always understood it to mean someone who knows it's all a work. Somehow, though, I think it's a little more complex than that, because it gets thrown around here often in derogatory fashion.

If it IS as simple as knowing it's all a work, then why DOES it get thrown around in "smarks :rolleyes:" context?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thorias posted:

Honestly there are different types of smarks. The one that you are talking about here is this type:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9nIEPV7Kg4

The other is pretty much the IWC in a whole, who all know it's a work, read the dirt sheets but still love watching the product.

And to me, the definition of a Mark is pretty much anyone who isn't knowledgable at all about stuff behind the scenes and such. So all of you in this thread claiming to be marks because of things like Shawn/Taker are wrong, since you still know its fake, just because you marked out for a little bit doesn't make you a mark.

See, I don't really agree with that, but it's a term about fake fighting, so who the gently caress really cares I guess. :shobon:

I guess the reason that I think we're all marks is because we still get wrapped up in the show.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

To the people that actually use the word mark, like people in 'the business' anyone that watches wrestling is a mark. If you know its fake and you still watch it you're still a mark. Being a mark is a carny term for a rube you can get money out of. It doesn't matter what you know, so in that sense we are all marks.

That's basically what I'm saying too. But it's also pretty pointless to argue over, so yeah. :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I think Smark used to mean smart mark, but here we just use it for people who are all :smug: about wrestling

That's kinda what I figured. Okay then!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

grody but still def posted:

I think they would give Cena the streak.

I think Cena would probably pull a Kane and refuse to take it. Cena seems like that kinda guy. :unsmith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Professor Funk posted:

That's really awesome. It makes me love Kane that much more.

Yeah, it's a big part of the reason I'm such a Kane fan. He's such a nice drat guy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Made You Look posted:

As much as the whole gimmick gets annoying from time to time, I really do think that Cena would do this. But I mean with a streak like that, Undertakes last match is going to have to be a Wrestlemania loss to someone that they want to put over HUGE

No one's going to take it. I'm convinced that Taker is gonna retire with the streak.

If HHH jobbed to Taker at WM, ANYONE will :haw:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Completely unrelated, but I was thinking about this earlier. What in the ever loving gently caress makes Buff Bagwell think he was destined to "be The Rock" (in quotes for obvious reasons; I know he means just a massive massive star, not ACTUALLY The Rock) before The Rock took his spot or whatever? I know we've established he's loving insane, but really, is there ANY evidence whatsoever to support this fact?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tzirean posted:

Shawn had hoped to get a chance to talk to Bret to apologize and hopefully clear the air even a little bit between them. Bret said if he saw Shawn at all that weekend, he'd skip the induction, and if he saw Shawn during the induction he'd walk off the stage. Shawn told Vince that if that was the case, he was fine just leaving the room during the induction before Bret's.

Jesus Christ. gently caress Bret, seriously.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hungry Hungry Hippo posted:

When it comes to the recent years of WWE, I'm fairly new to wrestling. Thus, seeing this video got me thinking, has the Undertaker ever had an actual feud of any kind with Ric Flair?

Oh hell yes. They had a massive feud in 2002 which led to a match at Wrestlemania 18.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

Although while Orton was briefly REALLY over as a face, he quickly had his legs cut out from under him by dropping the belt to Triple H after a month. And I can't really blame them for putting the belt on HHH so quickly, since Randy SUCKED as a face.

I think I'm the only person in the world who loved RKO's face run. I feel so alone. :smith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CubsWoo posted:

Not to knock Taker, but it's pretty easy for a wrestler with a decent talent set to produce quality matches when you're rarely expected to wrestle outside of PPVs.

So "Not to knock Taker but I'm going to knock Taker"? :colbert:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sugar Blaster posted:

no. bob holly. he'd hit someone with his forearm and then look confused like he hadn't mentally put together the concept of PIECE OF METAL + SOME CHUMP'S SKULL = WIN.

I too remember this, so you're not insane.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

That refs reaction is perfect - it's the exact reaction I would have if I walked into my bathroom at 2 am and saw a giant spider on the wall

:laffo:

I didn't notice that the first time.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Burrito posted:

There was a ppv or RAW within the past year that had someone with a sign that was a giant cardboard cut out of John Cena's face, and it rose up from the crowd in an ominous manner. A gif was made of it and I need that gif and maybe even what show it was on. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

No but I must see this. I am giggling madly at the mental image.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pneub posted:

Ok what the hell, sombody get off their rear end and pull this out of their gif folder. Jerusalem, Hulkamatt, come on.

Seriously. I MUST see this. It would complete me.

Sure you didn't dream this, Burrito?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

Hogan's Meat Shoes was a ridiculous post in GBS about a guy thinking Hogan sponsored shoe's that had little compartment in them that you could store pieces of meat in and when you walked the sweat and warmth from your feet would warm them up.

It was the funniest loving thread I think I've ever read.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Meat Recital posted:

I believe this is it. Starts around 28:10. The preceding segment with Edge is pretty good too.

YESSSS.

It's in that at 29:07.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of Edge has there been any updates to his condition? Has he begun rehab yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXXewVSs4g

Seems like he's getting there!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CM Junk posted:

Wait. This whole time we've been hating on Cena's promos because he said "fart juice" in passing during a promo in 2006 when he wasn't even champion?

I hate SA so much sometimes. :ughh:

I dunno, personally DA CHAMP IS HURR RRRRAPADOOOO FART JUICE makes me laugh every time.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

When you've been a veteran/legend for that long and you're still around, at a certain point, it becomes awful hard to make fans boo you. This is more for the Undertaker, though--the whole Undertaker gimmick is "I pick a guy, assault him, and leave," the only time they successfully made him a heel in the 21st century involved stripping that away entirely and making him an evil biker who was anal-retentive about respect and made leather jackets out of people and such. It'd be pretty hard to get people to boo the present, classic-style Undertaker.

As for Michaels, the fans want to like him because he's Shawn Michaels, he moves face merch becuase he's Shawn Michaels, and there really isn't a face they can heel him up against. No one can get full-blown heel heat against Cena anymore due to the part of the fanbase that wants his blood, so the only main-event face he could turn on for any reaction would be Triple H, and that's only slightly better. That being said, if Michaels really wants to be a heel, he'll find a way. He can pull it off.

See the Bret Hart promo in Canada. God drat, the heat.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kentucky Shark posted:

That's a pretty special circumstance though...Michaels can get heel heat in Canada without much effort. I also remember the MSG crowd booing him pretty heavily at WM 20. Other than that, he's been a pretty permanent face since he came back from his back injury. It's just hard to boo a guy who is still the best overall performer in the company even after he had a near-career ending injury.

Eh, you're not wrong, I guess it's less "Shawn can still pull off being a heel" as it is "Shawn can pull off being a tremendous tremendous dick" which doesn't always get booed.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

In that Gif of Don West and Mike Tenay high-fiving, what were they so excited about?

I've also wondered the answer to this. I've heard conflicting stories.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

The consortium? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

That's the word Ric Flair used.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

battlemonk posted:

That is a wonderful video. I especially like JBL's "I've always wanted to do that" line. And just seeing how many people they get to do it. And Al Snow's face at the end is priceless.

That really is great. Brought a big smile to my face.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

speaking of the mafia kick ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

At least Tony can laugh at both Dusty and Brain making fun of him.

This is the best thing

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marcade posted:

On one of the Botchamanias, there's audio from Cornette talking about that botch. Although I'm sure it hurt, he makes it sound absolutely hilarious.

I see your SSP into RKO and raise you a powerbomb into diamond cutter.

I loving love the fact that DDP always said that Eddie said before the match "get me up, I'll do the rest", and that DDP's reaction to that spot is him legitimately marking out. :unsmith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Karmine posted:

That was the last time Santino consistently ruled.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DannoMack posted:

How is an indy fed defined? Is TNA an indy?

My understanding is it's a fed without a national TV deal. Though I've also heard ROH referred to as an indy, possibly because the show is on a channel almost no one gets.

LONE :argh:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Yeah. Their finisher pretty much ruled. Chaz hit the superkick and while the opponent was falling, D'Lo hit the Lo-Down before the guy even hit the floor. It ruled.

Holy poo poo I forgot about this. Is there video of this?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was one Botchamania, I saw it just the other day, where Maffew's recapping a TNA PPV and Consequences Creed takes a bump outside and just goes "OHHHH MY GOD" and it's the funniest goddamn thing, and I'm trying to remember which Botchamania it was. Can anyone help me? :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WeaselWeaz posted:

Just because we accept a lot of ridiculous poo poo doesn't mean we have to accept all of it.

I think Ax was simply commenting on the flat out ludicrousness of the basketball analogy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Larry Sweeney had some kind of mental illness issues and that's why he disappeared for a while, right? Or did I just dream that?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

He's bi polar.

That's right. Man, that poo poo can get NASTY, I have a couple bipolar friends.

I hope Larry can keep everything under control and I'm glad to see him back doing what he loves :unsmith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fallon posted:

What was up with that episode of Raw where HBK (and possibly HHH too, maybe a DX angle?) were stalking Coach backstage? I remember it was borderline psychedelic, it had lots of weird lighting and music and was hilarious. Think it was from 2007.

I'd love a video of this but "HBK Coach backstage" on Youtube doesn't turn anything up.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

It was towards the beginning of the '06 DX Reunion Tour (tm)

Y'know, the one that was actually a markout moment for a week or two and then became awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

The Gooker happened around the time that Undertaker debuted and a lot a people thought that he would be the one getting the egg man gimmick rather then the dead man gimmick.

"You WILL...BASTE...IN...PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACE!"