Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

oldpainless posted:

poo poo, who knows exactly what did it? Maybe it was the stress of his divorces. Didn't he get divorced like twice within 4 years or something? Or if he was constantly going out with Orton and Batista in Evolution, that's gonna take a toll a lot quicker on a 55-year-old man than the 30-year-old Ric Flair in the 4 Horsemen. But it is a huge difference between Flair in 2001 and Flair in 2009.

Coming out with Orton and Batista kinda started emphasizing how old he was on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
FCW has been around since 1961.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

dusty udder smoker posted:

wrong FCW. The old one was actually Championship Wrestling from Florida. The WWE version is a completely new entity made only about 2 years ago.

It's not "technically" the exact same thing, but it looks like WWE has pretty much claimed the heritage for themselves. I can live with that I guess.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

thorattack posted:

random question:

any got a link to the john morrison video where he's like running on the beach and there's some weird rear end poetry being said and stuff?

need to show my roommate and i can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VyJVjrHbsg

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Speaking of Chyna, was she ever any good at actually wrestling? All I can remember is her acting as the (180 lb) "muscle" of DX, and I was WCW back then so I don't recall any woman's matches.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Von Linus posted:

When she was shaking Marlena like a loving rag doll was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjgIV-jpkY
About 3:30 SIGH.

DAMNIT the Pedigree sucks now. Aside from that one dude he spiked into the mat head-first, did he hurt someone important with the old version or something? It didn't look that high impact.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

battlemonk posted:

So the answer is more of a "He busts it out utilizes it under specific circumstances with specific guys, who he's probably practiced it with and agreed to it beforehand."

Wrestling is scripted.:eng101:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Oh, like a belly to belly suplex

I don't get it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Commercials were just plain better in the 90's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0n0Dq_AqgI

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
The manbible claw's the easiest to fake, yet probably one of the most painful to actually have locked in.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Wazzu posted:

It's the first thing everyone thinks. I still haven't heard an explanation of it that makes sense to me, but whatever it looks cool.

Put two fingers under your tongue, and touch them to your thumb. If you torqued down on it, the screaming would keep you from biting down.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Erdnase posted:

Just read Mick Foley' first autobiography for the first time since I was about twelve. Any other good autobiography recommendations?

Jericho's

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Is Cole a heel now/going that direction? The only thing I've heard him call in months was Dryan Banielson's debut, and he sounded a bit overly-dickish.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
"Has a parrot" is sufficient credentials to make it into the HoF. Flip a coin to see if anyone mentioned so far will get inducted.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Rankine Over Gash posted:

I have just read all 136 pages in this thread. Every post.

So my question is - am I loving mental?

Not until you finish reading the old 300 page thread.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Benign posted:

How has Sheamus been around so long (well, long enough to be WWE champion) and not have a 100% for sure finisher (the kick to the head or the razor's edge)? Even his signature move, the sideslam backbreaker, doesn't seem to have any significance.

Let alone not having names for them? I don't care if it's accurate, his signature maneuver or finisher being called "a boot to the head" or "vicious power bomb that we might want to call the Celtic Cross but can't because some other guy already uses it" really doesn't seem to potray a sense of awe for what should be devastating attacks.

I really enjoy watching the guy destroy people, and am rooting for him Sunday, but it'll be rough to hear "And Sheamus has defeated Triple H with that thing he does, OH MY".

Has there ever been someone else established without a "set" or "nameless" finisher?

Was "Carcinogenic Right Hand" ever made an official name?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I don't think chokeslams and DDTs really count as "unnamed". I think he was talking more about stuff like "Undertaker's new submission manuver" or guys like Sheamus that can't decide on a finisher.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

CM Junk posted:

No because it's officially called the Knockout Punch and has been since 2008.

You showed me.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Is there a list of all the MitB Toxx avatars anywhere (I don't want to read through the whole thread)?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The point is that this isn't what happens. If Vince McMahon is gloating about anything, it's about paying customers like you that fantasize that he brought in guys like Eric Bischoff and Christian chiefly, or only, to stick it to them. In Bischoff's case, a guy with a lot of big name appeal who generated buzz with wrestling fans on entry; in Christian, a guy who literally has no problem with the way Vince McMahon does anything, but that wanted to work an easier schedule for a while.

As if on his first day back, Vince pulled Chris Jericho aside and said "So I guess your rock band couldn't pay the bills! Ha, ha! Hahaha!" and then sat inside his office and smiled smugly as he counted PPV earnings and masturbated furiously or something.

And the reason I don't care for your opinions is because they are often morally deplorable or based on nonsense. As in, if you actually think that wrestlers and the wrestling business are so loathsome as you do, I can't figure out how you could possibly enjoy it, "knowing" that they are all so scummy. Enjoying it regardless of this "knowledge" would essentially make you reprehensible. So you're either full of it, morally repulsive/childish, or some measure of both.

There's believing that wrestling has a lot of corrupt, unpleasant elements, and then there's believing, as you apparently do, that the corruption is absolutely everywhere and that everyone involved is absolutely slimy to a comical degree, and then enjoying it anyway. It doesn't speak well of you.

Oh goddamnit settle down.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

CM Junk posted:

The Ladder Match DVD set actually does a drat good job of highlighting the evolution of the ladder match, but it is sorely, sorely lacking the HBK/Razor match from WMX. Although it does have the SummerSlam rematch from a year and a half later.

I think that's because it was on Heartbreak & Triumph, which came out around the same time.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Coach & Foley on the Sting vs Foley match from Greatest Hits & Misses too.

If you have the edition that comes with the Hardcore Diaries bonus disc, Foley and Joey Styles do commentary on everything on the disc.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What about bananas up one's rear end for the purposes of sexual gratification?

That's why they had to stop selling them at dairy queen.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I really want to see Cornette and Russo get in a "shoot" fight with each other. And by "shoot" I mean an out of shape 50-year-old vs. an out of shape 60-year-old throwing kind-of punches at each other until, let's say, The Destroyer, seperates them like a couple of 10-year-olds fighting over a baseball card.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Nibble posted:

This would have made for a more interesting (albeit more stupid) angle.

Turns out Hornswaggle really is a magical, therefore 100 years older than he looks, leprechaun, who screwed some drunk chick 50 years ago.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Matlock posted:

And that chick was Mae Young

It's a shame Finlay's half-brother never made any appearances after his debut.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

AkumaHokoru posted:

They push a guy in a storyline then completely forget about him. see matt morgan for examples.(they did it to him a few times now)

Also loving Koslov (for a more long-term example).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

AkumaHokoru posted:

I actually think morgan was getting the shaft longer than koslov was. koslov was atleast IN a world title match

I was thinking more of his one push lasting like 6 months.

(Although I can't actually remember Morgan for the life of me, so I guess he would be a better example anyway.)

Pneub fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 16, 2010

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

ultimateforce posted:

I haven't watched Raw in a long time, is it getting worse it has it peaked awfulness?

They seem to know what they're doing with the guest hosts now (or at least know how to make the show embarrassing to watch for only a few minutes with the bad ones), so it only gets unwatchable once a month, tops.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

wwetnasux posted:

I would love to be chopped by Kobashi Kenta (yes I respect Japanese wrestling enough to call them by the way they are announced in Japan). I know it would hurt like gently caress, but it would be EPIC and I would feel honored.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

CombineThresher posted:

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/05/04/fan-threatens-to-blow-up-wwe-hq-because-of-mickie-james-release/

So which one of you did this? C'mon, 'fess up.

I've just been standing outside her house holding a boombox playing HBK's theme over my head. You know, doing something constructive.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
The Rock was kinda lovely in the ring anyway (sorry, "low impact"), so it doesn't really matter if he finished matches off with a standing elbow drop every once in a while.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Jerusalem posted:

Yes the Rock was "lovely" in that if you stopped and dispassionately looked at his style and execution and technical ability he wasn't very good. Nobody ever did that, though, because everyone was too busy being absolutely loving enthralled in every single little thing he did.

Similar to Hogan, one of the worst "wrestlers" ever but nobody gave a poo poo because he was so charismatic/entertaining and dragged the crowd along for the ride.

I agree, Hogan was also awful at the wrestling part of his job.
I can only stand a match comprised entirely of bad-by-wrestling-standards looking punches for so long.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

Rock was a phenomenal heavyweight seller and a solid bumper. He went out there with the intention it seemed to make his opponent always look like he was on his level, and due to that, it's why he's one of the best wrestlers of his generation. Just about every move he executed was crisp, tight and well executed and he kept audiences connected to everything he did through unbelievable charisma.

But I guess he sucked as a wrestler?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbJx2N0jBE

Meh, I just don't like the fucker, probably because I don't think he's funny.

And that concludes my 3rd annual "The Rock Sucks" soliloquy.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

He was selling it for the top rows, which is exactly how you're supposed to sell big moves in pro wrestling. It's what independent wrestlers can never loving get through their head when they get to the WWE. You're not selling for the front row, you're selling for the bleeders.

Maybe you like realism in your pro wrestling, which is fine, but pro wrestling is supposed to sell you a story, not an athletic competition. Besides, anyone who says they like realism in their wrestling is loving brain dead if they accept irish whips and every pinfall lasting exactly two seconds without struggle until the finish.

Oh come on, I just posted that clip to be a smart rear end, but come on. You couldn't have originally typed that post to defend Rock's stupid Stunner-handstand thing.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Oh come on, that's clearly Spanish for "ston cold stunner to the rock"

And they misspelled Stone Cold's real name, Stan Cold.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

Go watch the best heels from the 1960s to the 1980s. All of them sell big and usually have a spot (Ric Flair's top rope flop for example) which everyone can see the impact for.

The best babyfaces from the 1960s to the 1980s also had several moves that were big and visually effective. From Dusty's elbow to Bob Backlund's wind up to Hogan's pointing and on and on.

It's Wrestling 101.

They usually didn't do a random out of place push-up in the middle of a roll for no reason.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Its the "Ow Ow ow! Boy Howdy are you twisting my arm hard. See where I am slapping my hand on my shoulder? That is where it hurts!"

I was just about to type "OW OW OW!" as a description of what they're doing.
---

Does anyone else use the elevated Hammerlock George Steele used?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Sue Denim posted:

I was thinking about the WWE Hall of Fame and about which superstars were heading towards that status or have even achieved it on the current roster and that made me wonder... Who is the youngest WWE Hall of Fame inductee and what age where they when they were inducted?

If you count posthumous inductions, Eddie Guerrero would've been 39 when he was inducted in 2006 (38 when he died).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

ZombieSupaStar posted:

Is there a back story to all the "bearskin rug" comments I'm hearing about Vince McMahon in shoot interviews?

Sorry if its been answered in here, I couldn't find it.

Vince has a bearskin rug in the principal's office.