Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Naturally HHH's reaction to this whole fake pregnancy was to attempt to pedigree his wife in her wedding dress on the announce table. Or something like that.

I remember that whole storyline really pissing me off, I think I've blocked most of it from my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
One thing I agree with about the "WWE style" is how they save the epic, Wrestlemania style near falls for, well, Wrestlemania level matches. The number of near finishes on any given ROH card, or any other indy really, drive me nuts.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah MVP would make sense. How long has it been since his promo with Swagger? That was the last interesting thing I remember him doing.

Then again they don't always need an excuse like pot violations to cut the legs off someone, just look at Bourne. Unless he's one of the violators :tinfoil:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I won an autographed Raven card from his Twitter. It was a TNA trading card :unsmith:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
What's the deal with the whole "Heyman Hustle" website? Did Paul E start it himself or what?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ColeM posted:

Thank you! I remember watching Raw after Ground Zero for the aftermath of the Hart/Patriot match and it was like the Patriot didn't exist. There was no mention of him at all. Not that it was a bad thing. He was really dull in the ring and his gimmick sucked.

I think the gimmick would have worked, if only there was someone with the charisma to pull it off

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Was there a wrestler that used Stone Temple Pilots - Dead & Bloated as a entrance theme? It just came on the radio and I seem to remember a wrestler using it. For some reason I have it in my head that Chris Hero used it at an indy he used to wrestle at here in Toronto, but I may be wrong.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2009

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I think Smark used to mean smart mark, but here we just use it for people who are all :smug: about wrestling

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ColeM posted:

paper view!

Sorry, but I just found this funny. You do know it's "pay per" view right?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
What ever happened to Bam Neely after he got fired?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

HorseHeadBed posted:

Why are wrestling fans so obsessed with TV ratings and buy-rates? I can understand the people working in the companies having an interest, but why is there this slavish attention to it from people it doesn't affect in the slightest?

It comes from the Monday Night Wars, I think. Bischoff was obsessed over Nitro's ratings beating Raw, and that attitude has carried over. Vince even said on the Monday Night Wars dvd that he really didn't care that much about ratings until Nitro came along.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Judakel posted:

Wrestling fans caring about a company's business decisions is something that came with the internet and was probably never discussed by smarks prior to message boards. The dirtsheets were a nice way to get a peek backstage, but I doubt anyone argued over how they should be promoting a particular show. It is a horrible, horrible thing. Especially when the majority of us have no experience running a promotion.

Speak for yourself, I've been playing EWR since EWR Deluxe :smug:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I loved heel Austin a lot, but turning the Rock was the move that made more sense. Most people were sick of him by that point, and Austin had just come back from injury within the last 5 months or so.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Axissillian posted:

Here's a New Age Outlaws incident I never understood

I remember during one match when the NAO were having their DX face title run, they did a PPV against the heel Headbangers.

The match was the Headbangers dominating the match cleanly, without NAO getting in any offense, and just when Mosh was about to wrap it up, Billy came in and hit him with a boom box for the DQ.

It was so weird because it wasn't a heel turn or anything. It was just a match where the faces were destroyed by the heels cleanly, got a DQ to retain the gold, and went home.

They didn't even continue the feud, that was it. It just reeked of Russo.

I am bringing this up to say that I don't think the Outlaws were part of DX when this happened. This was when the Outlaws were the champs for the first time, when DX was HHH & HBK. They cheated all the time back then, I don't think they won any matches clean for a couple months straight.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ColeM posted:

Proof: The scene is Backlash 2002. The match: Scott Hall vs Bradshaw. Its god awful through on through. Scott Hall sadly looks winded from the beginning and Bradshaw never really had a prime where he was considered a "good wrestler". Xpac is out in Scott Hall's corner. People are ignoring the lovely match and screaming "Xpac sucks!" through it all.

Fans used to do this exact thing whenever the Rock was at ringside with the Nation. Perhaps the term should actually be Rocky heat?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I find Observer is worth it, if only for the interviews & guests. I love hearing Lance Storms weekly/biweekly appearances. Plus, the Heyman interview they just had this week is incredible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Just catching up on this thread, and now I'm excited for WH2K Secret Santa! Luckily my friend gave me a bag full of WCW action figures recently...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

rotinaj posted:

How did the infamous Owen Hart impersonator, Jason Sensation, get noticed to be part of that D-X skit making fun of the Nation?

I've actually been rewatching all this attitude era stuff lately. The first time I saw Jason was during one of the "crowd outside the arena" scenes on a PPV a few months before the Nation impersonation. You know the scenes where they would interview groups of people and they'd say like "HBK IS GONNA WIN!!!" "NO WAY UNDERTAKER WOOO!!"

Anyway Jason was clearly there, I think he had a megaphone and was yelling something. I dunno if that was before or after he was actually scouted by the WWE, but that was the first time I saw him on WWF tv.

Off topic, it's also really weird watching the Brawl For All now that UFC is so popular.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

reality_groove posted:

I remember Jason Sensation being pulled out to commentary and HBK asking him to do impressions of various wrestlers, including Owen Hart. I believe Owen was in the ring at the time. However, this was probably the start of the angle and not his debut.

That was the week after the Nation Impersonation. Owen slapped the sharpshooter on him after.

I had completely forgotten about it, but Jason also made another cameo a couple weeks after that. Owen was in the ring cutting a promo, when Jason came out dressed as Owen. Owen ran up the ramp to get 'im, but Dan Severn stepped out to intervene.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I posted this in the main WWE thread, but this is probably a better place.

I was bored today so I tried to think of all the Main Event stars the WWE has made in the last 5-ish years. This means guys who were already established like HHH, HBK, etc. are out.

"Main event star" is subjective, but I think at least holding a World Title is a good indicator.

Current:
Batista
John Cena
Edge
Chris Jericho (debatable, but I think he really stepped up to be a main event player)
Randy Orton

No longer wrestling:
JBL
Eddie Guererro
King Booker (lol)

Borderline main eventers:
Jeff Hardy
CM Punk
Rey Jr
Khali?
Sheamus?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I guess Jeff should be ranked higher. It's a tough call for me though. If he had a Wrestlemania main event under his belt, he'd be up there in my books for sure. I just feel like he is in the same situation kind of situation as Punk. He's over, he's talented, but he's not going to get the same kind of push that someone like Batista gets.

Edit: I'd hold back on Christian until he's on a main show. The guy barely makes it on most PPVs, sadly being ECW champ does not equate being a main eventer to me.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 18, 2009

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Hockles posted:

Wasn't he on his way there on his own? I remember hearing about the crowd being really behind him, but Vince didn't want to push him because of his size.

Christian was pretty drat over, to the point where they started a feud with him and Cena. Then they got cold feet and crammed Jericho in there.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It started with a Mike Awesome run in, and yeah WCW started as faces. Austin was a heel, Shane & Booker put him through a table at KOTR.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

LividLiquid posted:

He was right. Lance Storm ran in first.

Huh, interesting. Then what was the deal when Mike Awesome ran in and won the hardcore title? Was that just them invading MSG or something? Or the WCW's first title win? I seem to remember that being a big deal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah when I think of the greatest minds in sports, I think of oiled up musclemen in their underwear falling down on purpose.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Wasn't Ziggler supposed to win the title once or twice, but Rey ended up getting out of doing the job somehow? I seem to remember that happening.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
HHH during 2000 was my favourite wrestler. He was actually a good combination of being dangerous, while at the same time being vulnerable enough and cowardly enough to not be seen as a face.

I still remember the scene where he was mocking Mankind for quitting, but then Mankind revealed Cactus Jack was back and HHH just lost his poo poo. So great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The Rock n Sock connection was a pretty weird, awesome combo

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

This was always a :psyduck: too

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Actually that reminds me, I own the McMahon DVD. I should give that another watch, I remember it being entertaining.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Sue Denim posted:

I watched that two nights ago, there's something really unsettling about how adamant Kurt was that Shane was going through that glass when it looked like Shane couldn't even support his own weight.

Yeah, at one point you could see the despair in Kurt's face, like oh GOD why won't this glass just break, we need to get through this spot!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bearnt! posted:

Which WWF/E Superstars have made their debuts on PPV? Me and a friend came up with a few and were wondering if we missed any.

Undertaker - Survivor Series 1990
Goldust - In your House 4
Kane - Badd Blood 1997
Big Show - St. Valentines Day Massacre
Tazz - Royal Rumble 2000

I was completely out of the loop from 01-04 so I'm sure there's quite a bit more. Thanks!

Uhhh Dwayne Gill wrestled as a jobber in 92, but made a comeback debut at Survivor Series 98 vs Mankind. Not sure if that counts.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Undertaker vs Austin was the highest rated segment on Raw for a long time (maybe it still is?) according to Meltzer. Most people say it's "This is Your Life", but apparently Austin vs Taker was actually higher.

Not sure if that helps Takers case at all, or just cements Austin as #1.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He did win the WWF Title and had a main event match on PPV during this time, you know.

Vince also won the Rumble. And he had 3 main event matches that I can think of (St Valentine's Day Massacre, KOTR & Armageddon 99)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I'm rewatching 1998 Raw, and it's amazing how inconsequential DX is. HHH has been injured for a lot of the year, the Outlaws putter around in the tag division, Xpac has some low level Euro title feuds. They're mega over, but they live in their little bubble wrestling with the Headbangers and such.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

O I thought that WWE has some say in it since its being released under there name. Like WWE can tell Mattel who they can offer them to and who they can not.

From what I've heard, WWE is so thankful that Mattel is doing their toys that they don't want to rock the boat. I don't think they'd make any sort of demands like that, if Mattel wants their Macho King doll then by god they'll get it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So what the hell is that wacky noise Mick Foley makes every time he throws a punch or gets hit. "HAZAH. HAZAH." or something like that

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I hate to be the guy who is like "YOU'RE LIKING WRESTLING WRONG", but puppet guy at Toronto wrestling shows always annoyed me too. He just looks so smug about it :argh:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The Union also all carried 2x4s for like, a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
An awful part of the whole Over the Edge ppv after Owen fell was seeing how clearly distraught Jeff Jarrett and Debra were, and that they had to go back out there and perform. I can't imagine