Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Exactly, it's like those people who think that the Hell in a Cell match between Foley/Taker was great because of the spots off the roof, and can't understand why people don't consider it a classic when they leap into a dumper full of weedwhackers off of a roof swarming with crocodiles. The spots mean something because of our familiarity with the characters, the build to the match, and the fact that Foley got BACK UP afterwards with a crazy smile on his face because his character was loving insane and wanted to keep fighting.... and Taker's reaction was,"gently caress it okay let's fight some more!"

It's also telling that if you walk up to anybody involved in the Mankind/Undertaker Hell in a Cell, Mick and 'Taker included, and start raving about the match being great, they'll look at you like you're a mental patient and maybe even start backing away slowly. The spectacle was incredible, sure, but the match, such as it was, sucked a dick. And the spectacle, as you point out, is not reproducible; it was a result of one planned spot, then a whole lot of unplanned poo poo and Mick Foley being, frankly, too loving stupid and concussed to know when he needed to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Actually, Jim Ross deserves a lot of credit too. In the hands of any other announcer it would have come off as a trainwreck from the big spot on. A spot which was only happened because Foley was deathly afraid of a bad match figured if he was thrown off the cage that anything after would probably be fine. Nobody, including Vince and Taker, was happy it was done.

I count Ross' reactions in the "whole lot of unplanned poo poo" collection, though I did him a disservice by not mentioning him.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

freeranger posted:

Can someone explain a WCW moment to me.

Halloween Havoc, not sure what year, Hogan vs Sting(c). Firstly Hogan is meant to come out first, doesn't, then they announce Sting and he comes out, so they then have to once again announce Hogan, and finally he comes out, but not in his ring gear.

Hogan gets into the ring, has words with Sting and the ref, then lays down, and let's Sting pin him. Crowd boo's the hell out of it.

What the hell was that all about? Typical hogan BS? Typical WCW?

From The Death of WCW, which really every wrestling fan should own:

quote:

And then there was Hogan versus Sting, which never took place. The idea Russo wanted to get across was that he told Hogan to lose the match and Hogan didn't want to. So Hogan went out in street clothes, whispered something to Sting, then lay down so Sting could pin him and win the WCW title. Nobody watching had any idea what in the hell was going on, the cameras quickly cut away, and the announcers never bothered to try to explain it. They attempted to explain what was happening in the main event, saying Goldberg versus new WCW champion Sting was non-title. A few minutes later, Goldberg pinned him and was handed the WCW title. The show ended with everyone in a state of utter confusion.

Going into the October 25 Nitro, Goldberg was the WCW World and U.S. champion. However, J.J. Dillon explained that Sting versus Goldberg from the night before was not a sanctioned match, and therefore, the belt had been held up. A thirty-two-man tournament was set up, with the final two men squaring off at the next PPV to determine a new WCW champion. The first tourney match took place in the Nitro main event. Bret, on a losing streak, beat Goldberg not only to advance, but also to win his U.S. title.

So, yeah, it was a Russo SWERVE to fool the smarks he so desperately craved approval from, while at the same time fueling his fetish for vacated championships and title tournaments.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kentucky Shark posted:

Just reading about the booking of late-period WCW makes my head hurt.

The way that book makes it possible to understand so much of WCW's booking, and the job it does explaining at least the concepts behind the un-understandable parts, makes it a miracle of modern literature.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

That book is also full of glaring inaccuracies. I have old Nitros on tape that they talk about and poo poo happens very, very differently on more-than-a-few instances.

I enjoyed the read, but it's hardly a trustworthy source.

Have any handy examples? I believe you, I just can't check for myself.

I trust the book to be accurate to the spirit of the circumstances, if not the strict facts.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Axissillian posted:

Which is what the book completely admits

Indeed. The book is basically, "X happened, X was stupid/insane/ridiculous/borderline criminal, but WCW could have survived. Then Jamie Kellner happened, and if your first thought is 'who the gently caress is Jamie Kellner?' you have a lot in common with a lot of WCW employees the day they were told WCW was suddenly effectively dead."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

I don't know this story. Did Kane refuse to take a victory of Undertaker at Mania?

Yeah. Kane was booked to go over at WM14 (I think), and it had Vince's and 'Taker's OKs. Kane declined and asked that 'Taker get the win instead.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

How often throughout the history of wrestling has there been a good feud for the title that wasn't about the title itself?

Flair/Savage in '92.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Karmine posted:

Plus supposedly he said he wouldn't show up for his own induction if Shawn Michaels was gonna be there or something.

Shawn had hoped to get a chance to talk to Bret to apologize and hopefully clear the air even a little bit between them. Bret said if he saw Shawn at all that weekend, he'd skip the induction, and if he saw Shawn during the induction he'd walk off the stage. Shawn told Vince that if that was the case, he was fine just leaving the room during the induction before Bret's.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

Honestly that team is why wwe swears throwing 2 singles guys together will make an awesome team Trips and Austin was such a dynamic tag team you would have sworn they were teamed together their entire careers if you didnt know better.

Well, more generally, Austin is the reason WWE thinks they can constantly pull that off. It was very difficult to find someone to pair Austin with and not get an awesome result.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fallon posted:

Fake Razor and Diesel:

Were they meant to be ribs, or was Vince legitimately trying to convince the crowd they were Scott Hall and Nash?

Neither, exactly. The point was that they weren't Hall and Nash, but they were Razor and Diesel. Vince wanted to establish that Hall and Nash weren't anything special, they were made by Vince and the WWE and he could do the same thing to make any other two people. And as a bonus, he'd use them to turn Jim Ross heel.

Didn't quite work out for him.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Axissillian posted:

It also used to be that it was defended under a certain "tv-length" time limit.

Yes, it was supposed to be defended on at least every Nitro, and all TV title matches had a ten-minute time limit.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Timby posted:

for example, TNT pulled all Fred Dalton Thompson-era episodes of Law & Order for the duration of his presidential campaign

And for those of you who don't understand what a hardship it is for TNT to only have had three-quarters of Law and Order's twenty-year span available for Thompson's campaign, we should point out that the loss of the Thompson episodes meant TNT had to rerun several episodes three times in those ten days.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Green_%28wrestler%29

Also known as the Dog.

No. Two different guys. The Big Al that fought Tank Abbott was apparently the former 911. The match can be seen here.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

Legit question: What were the rules of a normal ECW match? IIRC, they were contested under pinfall/submission rules, where you could use a weapon if need be. Am I right?

Right. Unless otherwise specified (a very rare occurrence), matches were no-countout and no-disqualification. Also, "need be" was "quite often."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Except every now and then there would be a Lance Storm or Benoit or whoever match that was just a straight up wrestling match. They didn't need to be no-dq or no-countout.

Though I'm pretty sure they were no-DQ, no-countout anyway, it just never came into play. I could be wrong, though.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Can we once and for all get a consensus definition of X-Pac Heat? I was browsing around some awful forum earlier and someone said that Vickie had X-Pac Heat.

The 51% consensus (and that's the best you'll ever get) is that X-Pac heat involves fans booing the wrestler when he enters and, sometimes, if he wins, but generally not reacting much to anything else he does. I've never seen Vickie's segments, but based on what I've read here I find it hard to believe she was getting anything of the kind.

Most of the other definitions either are a simple "when fans boo a face" or involve psychic knowledge of why fans are booing.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TL posted:

Can we take it easy on the X-Pac heat discussion? It seems to pop up every couple weeks and just leads to big protracted arguments.

I tried to answer it in a way that nobody would take major exception to.

TL posted:

Also, can we agree that "X-Pac" is one of the stupidest wrestling names ever?

Seconded.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

Bret Hart just won't change

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article/bret-hart-calls-hbkhhh-cancers-to-the-industry-cena-88649

He is pretty much a one man :circlefap:

And since he won't change, he refuses to believe that other people can and have. He's openly mocked Shawn's religious conversion, and hinted that he believes HBK's just using it to try to force people to overlook his past.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I dunno I mean, people do do that...

I'm just sayin!

Not denying that. But Bret seems to be, literally, the only person who knows or knew Michaels but is still questioning his new faith, and Bret hasn't spoken to him since well before his conversion.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

No. While he wasn't ignored by any means, because his work was good, looking like a 12 year old killed a good chunk of his heat.

Right. He went from the face of the cruiserweight division, so to speak, to just another cruiser by and large. And the stupid failed heel turn didn't help anything.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Karmine posted:

I've read that book a bunch of times and I don't remember this part. Weird.

Neither do I, and I don't believe it's in Death of WCW. The book's in Google Books, and searches for USA Today, logo, or bird return nothing relevant.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Professor Icepick posted:

http://books.google.com/books?id=uf...ay%20ad&f=false

Shows up for me.

That's a different ad.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Well, I guess I'm wrong that the ad doesn't exist because it wasn't mentioned in RD Reynolds' book.

Seriously, guys? Really?

What are you talking about? I don't think the ad exists either. I just don't think Death of WCW claimed it did.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Fair enough. Just seemed like all the discussion about it not being in the book and no discussion or comments on the fully made-up nature of the ad were pointing in the direction I went. Nevermind.

And I went over the top a bit, sorry.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Somebody mentioned Orton's "inverted backbreaker" in Beasley's thread and it got me thinking about "Above Average" Mike Sanders and how awesome he was. Where the gently caress is Mike Sanders nowadays? The guy was one of the few shining lights of the dying days of WCW and I really wanna see him wrestle again.

Stand-up comedy. Seriously. WWE sent him to developmental after the purchase, he became a booker there, got fired, spent a couple months in TNA, spent a couple months in indies, decided he wanted to be a comedian.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Chunky Delight posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Jarrett was okay as an upper mid-card heel during his first WCW and second WWF run or were they lovely but compared to his second WCW run and TNA they seem down right decent in comparison ?

Jarrett certainly could be OK-to-good at times. But he could also get stale very quickly. Given how he was perfectly content to coast on minimum effort when the opportunity presented itself, that was a problem.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Shawn Michaels and Tommy Dreamer have done piledrivers in the last 3 years.

Yeah, Michaels is the second guy they trust with piledrivers.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Carlton Banks posted:

I can imagine Bret volunteering for Make a Wish.

"So kid, whats wrong with you?"
"Well Bret, I have two different forms of cancer and-"
"Ya knooow I have dealt with two of the worst forms of cancer before, Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon. I told Vince I would drop the belt to anyone as long as it wasn't in Canada and (3 hours of rambling about Montreal)"
*kid goes into a coma*

I love this post.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Goldberg's jackhammer finisher must be one of the most protected finishers of the last 10 years. All of the biggest finishers always had someone kick out, but I can't remember anyone kicking out of the Jackhammer. Ever.

Note: This does not apply to TNA, as no-one watches TNA.

It got kicked out of a few times when Malenko used it, but that was before Goldberg.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TL posted:

I have to disagree on this. Kurt Angle at his peak was a bigger star than Sting was at his.

You should not disagree with people who are correct.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Angle headlined a Wrestlemania. He was and is a bigger deal than Sting.

If I'm not mistaken, Starrcade '97 had a significantly higher buyrate than Wrestlemania 19.

Sid and Yokozuna headlined two Wrestlemanias. Are they bigger, besides physically, than Sting? Than Angle?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

rotinaj posted:

How did the infamous Owen Hart impersonator, Jason Sensation, get noticed to be part of that D-X skit making fun of the Nation?

Wasn't he selling poo poo on QVC or something?

Don't ask me which WWF staff member was watching QVC, though.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TL posted:

That powerbomb/neckbreaker combination that the Dudebusters sued on ECW, isn't that the move that Raven and Kanyon used that broke one of the Villanos necks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7oSESAJYkA

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Theshby posted:

I mean the movement more than than the name.

a) Because for the half-second your body's scrunched together, you're falling faster due to less air resistance and will therefore land harder, theoretically.

b) Because you're wrong, it looks awesome.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

ECW owned the name, didn't they? Or Heyman or some such thing, and the rights were sold to WWE and the Dudleys didn't find out until they were informed they couldn't use the name post WWE?

Right. Heyman definitely owned the Dudley trademark. They allegedly had a gentlemen's agreement with Heyman to use the Dudley name after they left, but it was still Heyman/ECW's property when Vince bought all the ECW poo poo. Unsurprisingly, Vince was not inclined to honor any agreements Heyman might have made about what was now Vince's intellectual property.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tato posted:

I remember this theme for Bret Hart called "You Start the fire" being included on the "WWF: The Music Volume 2" and I was always confused because I knew that Hart only ever came out to his classic theme. I shrugged it off as a kid and never really tried to figure out why it was on the disc.

Remembering it today, I did a search on youtube and found that it was used as the music in a video package: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT28F-oSTDQ

For the life of me, I can't remember seeing this music video, so I'd like to know when it was aired and if it was used as part of an angle. Was it played when Bret was initially coming back after his injury in the 96-97 timeframe, back when he was still a babyface and hadn't started his matches with Austin? I'd just like to know why this video was produced.

I think they used it for the montages they aired before WM12.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

According to Foley, he tried to explain that Vince and WWE needed competition to drive them to be creative and a real #2 promotion would help everybody. Instead, Vince felt betrayed and threw a ton of money to keep Foley but it killed their friendship.

And the fact that Foley didn't realize that trying to explain that to Vince would be the dumbest thing he's ever loving done shows how stupid he was to take that many chairshots.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DannoMack posted:

Has Undertaker ever gone on the record about the Montreal incident?

No. He doesn't go on record about almost anything backstage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

dusty udder smoker posted:

didn't rock and austin both have to basically fight and plead with mcmahon to put jericho over at vengeance 01?

Not quite, IIRC. They were both of the opinion that Jericho should win and were both very willing to put him over. I think Vince's stand was basically, "if you two are OK with it, I've got no problem, either, so let's go for it."