Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SO I haven't been able to find an answer looking online so I figured I would ask here. Why did Vince never do Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan on PPV? Did he not think it would make money? Like I find it super funny that WCW did it an actually made money of it when Vince got presented an actual once and lifetime angle with Flair having the belt. But aside from some MSG houseshows they never did a PPV match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I still have a soft spot for a power bomb and a good Kobashi/Flair Chop

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Triple HHH's jumping knee makes Jumbo cry

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MrBling posted:

In terms of wasted/misspent talent who would you say is among the biggest losses to the business?

Barry Windham has to be up there for me. He started out bright and had one year in WCW where was he arguably the best wrestler in the world and then just a bunch of wet farts after that. I suppose injuries might have taken their toll but it is still a steep decline for such a talented guy.

Eddie Gilbert is another one, though the reason for him not making is rather more easy to pinpoint sadly. He was so good in the late 80s though.

Nagata should of been a way bigger star but had his career prime sacrificed to Inokism

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kenny Omega's Hadouken is so deadly he won't even use it on Okada!

Burning Hammer and not sure why anyone does it on Indies

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Is the Sheepherders/Bushwackers has to be up there with the biggest 180 the WWE did for a gimmick in the 80's right?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

PPV isn't really viable anymore, so at least they're ahead of the curve on that one.

Actually WWE dumping PPV for the big 4 at least was a pretty bad move on the WWE's part as PPV still draws decent buys and would make more money than the Network. Getting the B shows on the Network was great move though

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Plus it's not a matter of either or. No reason the WWE couldn't do the Network and PPV's for the big 4. Get the B shows on the Network but keep the rest on PPV until the buys consistently drop below 100K.

Going all on Digital lost them a lot of money and also increase their production costs given how much original programming they have to do for the network

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also if you flame out in Basketball at the NBA level you have a wide selection of leagues across the world you can play in and make some money. Football doesn't have anywhere near the amount of leagues for you to play in and make money (CFL and maybe Arena lol) so looking at wrestling becomes a natural choice.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

There's always minor league baseball too

I so want a Tim Tebow, Minor league baseball chronicles

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I fully expect the WWE to go one more signing spree to salt the earth for the Indies and New Japan before the TV deal blows up in there face. They'd rather the only option to make decent money is them so they can keep costs down for all but the main eventers and even than I don't think they want to be paying Cena money to top talent any more

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If the Young Bucks ever do sign with the WWE which one gets the singles Push?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Shawn's one of the greatest wrestlers of all time but even if he hadn't been a complete rear end in a top hat, I don't think he could have pulled WWF out of its nosedive with the company running like it was. He and Bret were doomed from the start*.

*If Bret wasn't doomed, Hogan doomed him at Mania 9

Bret was at least okay to good at MSG and drew really decent overseas and had the hot run with Austin after Mania 13. Micheals just fell flat from a mix of him being complete rear end to him being forced to being the next Hogan which did not fit him at all

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stan Hansen has to be up there for great big men too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Did the WWF Light Heavyweight title ever make WCW TV when Ultimo Dragon brought the J Crown to Nitro?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Furnas and Lafon's run in the WWF. Saw some online hype saying they'd be great and the run they had was so flat.

It wasn't till a few years later I saw some of their All Japan stuff and well it was so good.

See also Dr. Death Steve Williams

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

man Russo ruined Dr. Death didn't he

I know Cornette often veers into "old men yelling at cloud" territory but he was 100% right about the Brawl For All

As dumb as the Brawl for All was it's still nowhere near as dumb as Inoki having Nagata fight Fedor in an actual MMA fight

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd argue Inoki-ism was probably dumber and more destructive than the end of WCW it's just Japan has enough money Marks that New Japan was able to stay in business

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yasuda, Fujita, Sapp all have strong cases for that honor.

Does Nagata/Tenzan have a shot at the WOR Hall of Fame or does Inoki-ism kill their chances?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sapp was over but he couldn't wrestle so he should never of had the IWGP title.

And while feeding talent to MMA was a low point I think the peak bad New Japan of that era is still Chyna vs Chono

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dr Death and Furnace and Lafon were probably too broken down when they came to the WWE for them to have a run. Not to mention none of them really fit Vince's idea of a pushable wrestler

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

True, I merely mean from a wrestling standpoint the guy lost the title immediately and then essentially never did anything in professional wrestling again

At least the Russian stuff was worked. Not paying the MMA guys to work a match was just absurd level stupid

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Flair had squash matches at the start and iirc his first feud before Piper was with the Anvil. Which looking back was dumb cause he should have been doing Main Event stuff the minute he came in

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As long as you view the WWE Hall of Fame as a window into what Vince thinks is worthy and will sell product it can be fun. Trying to treat as a legit hall of fame for even just the WWE is a way to madness though.

Wonder who they'll try to induct this year to try and pass it off as being legit besides the Undertaker. Maybe the Great Muta?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dudley's aren't going in as long Bully Ray is working ROH

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Multiman at the Canadian Stampede PPV has to be up among the top 5 hottest WWE crowds too. Cross was super hot for the whole match

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maybe not the worst but Flair's First WWE theme used in 91-93 was pretty meh and nowhere near the 2001 theme. Not sure why WWE changed it beyond WWE being WWE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rush is probably the coolest because who's going to tell Rush that he isn't

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Omega is probably gonna win the IWGP title in June or late May in the US at probably a bigger arena than where they taped the G1 specials

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

let the juniors be juniors

Counterpoint - Kushida vs Okada would be a really, really, REALLY good match

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Cameo posted:

The WWF Junior Heavyweight title was also essentially just a New Japan title after 1978, when Fujinami won it. It was eventually abandoned in 1986 for the IWGP Junior title that's around today. I'm not even sure if Vince remembers it exists.

It actually was still used for years after 86 and was actually part of the J Crown. It never hit WCW TV and WWE asked for it back when they started their light heavyweight division

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wasn't WCW doing okay to good PPV business too at the time of Diesel's run with Hogan on top? Nowhere near NWO levels but I thought they out drew WWE at the time.

Jinder is totally going to have a longer reign than Diesel isn't he? Without the PPV numbers and them ignoring live attendance they could even have him beat Punk's reign to chase India

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shawn was also pushed to be a Hogan like Babyface which adults didn't buy. I wonder if he was allowed to go DX like as a face if the run would of been better till he ruined it through booze or losing his smile

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gavok posted:

There's definitely a lot of Vince McMahon stubbornness in there, but I also think a lot can be attributed to the iffy uppercard options. Guys like Bob Backlund, Lex Luger, Bam Bam and Yokozuna were damaged goods by that point for one reason or another. King Kong Bundy, Mabel and Isaac Yankem were monster-of-the-week types who had no business dethroning Diesel. Razor, Owen and Bulldog were decent enough threats who didn't seem right as champ by that point. Kama was used as the final boss in Undertaker's year-plus feud with the Corporation, but he sucked so they tossed him into obscurity with the quickness. Bret was taken off the table by being held down with the dumb Lawler/Yankem storyline and couldn't challenge for the belt until that poo poo was finished. Face-Protector Undertaker would have worked, but they mainly treated him as a special attraction to keep him away from the title picture.

Shawn Michaels made the most sense back at WrestleMania XI, but they went with the more gradual rise to the top mixed with his face turn, meaning he would no longer be a good candidate after that match. Then there was Sid. Not ideal, but probably not the worst heel option to beat Diesel when they had the chance. It's just that by that point, they probably didn't fully grasp how bad a failure Diesel truly was, so they kept going.

Supposedly, Vince didn't fully lose hope until commentating In Your House 4, where Diesel vs. Bulldog was so bad that once the show went off the air, Vince was visibly pissed off.

The WWE roster in 95 probably was the thinnest roster in terms of talent the WWE had yes. Only a few good top end workers and no real over characters that could carry an act on charisma alone. Add in old guys who were past their prime and bad characters and you probably have the worst overall year for the WWE in terms of product since Vince took over.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They were going to do one of those things where the champ loses the title on the foreign tour but gets it back before coming home things, because Giant Baba had won the NWA title a couple of times that way and Inoki wanted to have that too. The Inoki win was planned and legit.

To protect Inoki Backlund got it back because Tiger Jeet Singh got involved. Still going as planned so far.

But Inoki wanted to walk into MSG with the belt because that show was being broadcast back to Japan, so he got Shinma who was kayfabe president at the time to declare the match a no contest and that Inoki was still champion. Not planned by the WWF.

They worked out a compromise where Inoki kayfabe refused to accept the belt back because it was tainted, and at that MSG show through some careful phrasing omission they portrayed it as Backlund having a title defense to Americans while it looked like he was winning a vacant title to Japan.

At first glance you wonder why the WWF didn't cut ties with Inoki and New Japan after that but than you realize Vince still needed that New Japan money so they just grinned and accepted this

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Was wondering who besides Naito managed to recover from completely bombing in their first main event push to end up being a top level guy in the same company? Nakamura and Shawn Micheals come to mind, but wondering if there are others. Guys like Kevin Nash don't count cause his peak drawing time was in WCW....

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Anytime I see a Burning Hammer on an Indy I cringe especially when they do the straight Kobashi version

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's really debatable on who's crazier, Inoki or Vince

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Has anyone been crazy enough to do a avalanche Burning Hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE just needs to sign Aja Kong. Surely Vince isn't scared of her still