Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Free Market Gravy posted:

His entire draw in ECW was that he was the little, goofy scrawny guy who could slay the giants. What goofy, scrawny guy in the WWE has ever been successful or gotten a lot of screen time, even as a comedy character? Vince loves his giants and would never let them be slayed, so that left Spike to get over as a serious wrestler.

I like to image Vince having some sort of seizure upon being shown tapes of Spike winning in squash matches over all the giants in ECW. Like Vince's mind just could not comprehend what he was watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Karmine posted:

It's true. That's why they just don't bother testing Triple H, Batista and Cena.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Triple H had some sort of job title that exempts him from being tested. Like since he sits in on the booking meetings, he's officially considered part of the "creative team", and therefore doesn't have to be tested.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah except it isn't the job of the Scranton, PA Office Manager to dictate terms of when and under what conditions HE will allow his financial records to be gone over by head office. And since we're comparing Steiner/HHH, Triple H would be showing up to work in a pretty drat nice looking cadillac wearing an Italian leather coat and would be dropping $50 bills as he walked down the corrider. Steiner would be showing up to work in the world's only ferrargini, with 30 inch gold plated rims, the car painted bright pink with the words,"PIMP DADDY!" in day-glo lime on the hood. His coat would be made from the feathers of Dodos and he would toss $100 bills about him and smile wide to show off his diamond-plated grill as he screamed,"FINANCIAL MALFEASANCE IS THE BOMB, YO!"

And the fact that Steiner didn't do this, on TV, is why he failed in WWE.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

wrong thread

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 15, 2009

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

still the wrong thread! :arghfist:

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 15, 2009

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Holy loving poo poo, am I in the wrong place!!!!! :bang:

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 15, 2009

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

How did you get Earthquake, Tugboat, and Akeem? Those guys were a good 100lbs heavier than Blackjack Mulligan and Bill Eadie/Masked Superstar/Demolition Axe

And don't forget the Hulk Machine, Piper Machine, and The Crusher Machine!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

nyratk1 posted:

Was Warrior ever a heel? (except in real life)

Yeah, he and Sting started out as heels.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Can't ever recall Bruno Sammartino or Pedro Morales being heels.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

There was also that Don Morraco guy but he was a bit of a poseur

Don Muraco, known as "The Rock", used the Tombstone Piledriver as a finisher, and managed by a bald headed, goatee wearing "Superstar" Billy Graham.

If one of them wore a leather mask it'd be like the entire Attitude era main eventers rolled into a gigantic package.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Judakel posted:

Why did the WWE take away the referee names? I thought it was kind of cool when stables had referees in their pockets and added extra odds to surmount for faces who were feuding with a heel stable if that referee was officiating the match.

I whole problem with the "ref-in-the-pocket" storyline is why does the ref actually bother to call a somewhat fair match? First time heel grabs a pin, just ignore the kickout and count a quick three. Hell, just DQ the guy right off the bat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Road Warriors seriously need to be inducted.

But yeah, the WWE HOF isn't just about inducting people who were main-eventers; it's also about giving recognition to guys who did their job, and did it well. People may scoff at the idea of a guy like Koko B. Ware, who was a mid-carder at best, but twenty years later, people still remember "The Birdman",

I could totally see the WWE inducting someone like "The Brooklyn Brawler" Steve Lombardi into the HOF, and I, for one, would be totally okay with that. After all, that man spent his entire career making others look good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Yoko never jumped ship. WWE tried to help him lose weight but Yoko couldn't stick with it and wasn't being licensed in states due to his health. They didn't want to cut him but they had no choice. He then spend the rest of his life getting fatter and wrestling in indies.

I'm pretty sure Yoko will get in. He and Taker were close, and I can just see Taker going up to Vince and saying "Yoko, Hall of Fame", and just walking off.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ColeM posted:

That wasn't an angle, that was Cowboy Bill Watts being his old school self(douche).

No, the Watts thing was doing moves off the top rope.

And Jushin Liger saying "gently caress it" and just did all his moves off the middle rope.

In the old days, a lot of feds had it be an automatic DQ if you threw your opponent over the top rope.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Exactly, and imagine that rule still in effect nowadays and how many guys would have never gotten over without the help of their acrobatics.

Triple H, Batista, and Randy Orton would all be fine.

And isn't that all that really matters?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Karmine posted:

Chris Jericho :colbert:

Strike Force won the Tag belts with a submission victory over the Hart Foundation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

From the Koko thread just gassed, because I'm still curious.

I can't find it anywhere online even as a text description, and I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined it - but I'm sure I saw a match between Andre the Giant and Koko once where Koko was flying all over the place and actually looked for a few seconds like he might actually beat Andre before the Giant finally got his hands on him and destroyed him.

This would have been in the late 80s sometime, did I just imagine it?

I think it was from when Andre turned heel in '87 and had Heenan as his manager. I think it was Andre's first match as a heel

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Either way it had Ayatollah Blassie and god drat did he rock that pink robe.

He was the Hollywood Fashion Plate after all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Matt Cruea posted:

Agreed. Orndorff was probably my favorite character of the 80s, and his turn from face to heel to face again was awesome. He was a pretty good wrestler, too. It was sad to see him go from main eventing Wrestlemania to jobbing on WCW Saturday Night. I was really happy to see him get into the Hall of Fame awhile back and liked when 24/7 did a month focusing on him.

In fact, to ask a semi-related question, has anyone else really fallen from main event to jobber status? Jeff Hardy WWE Champion to TNA Champion doesn't count, but has someone gone from WWE Main Eventer to WCW Jobber like Orndorff did? Hacksaw might count for this, too.

Pedro Morales was the first triple crown champ in WWF history, and spent the last year of his WWF career ('87) basically jobbing. Tony Garea was a five time WWF tag champ and ended his career as a jobber.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

AKA Driver posted:

I was watching the 10th Anniversary of Smackdown DVD, and something really odd caught my eye. One of the 100 best moments was TLC III. They don't show the full match, but cut it together as a montage. They hype up the Hardys, the Dudleys and Edge & Christian.

Then, they awkwardly cut around the fact that the champions and fourth team in the match at the time were Jericho and Benoit. They show Benoit's face for about two seconds, and the voice-over only refers to the team as "The Champs." Benoit was involved in the finish (they show his back while he unhooks the titles), and they only show Jericho clutching his title at the end of the recap.

Now, my question is this: Unless it's a wholesale PPV DVD (like the Summerslam or Survivor Series releases), are all Benoit match appearances in future WWE Best Of releases going to be either cut out or edited heavily?

For example, there's bound to be a Money in the Bank compilation at some point. Does the WWE just leave off the first MitB, or recap it and edit around Benoit? Because they'll have to publicize the match-up lineup if they leave it in unedited, there by publicizing Benoit. Or is there a certain point (five years from now? Ten years? Twenty years?) when it becomes kosher just to slip him back into releases (without having to edit heavily) without any flare-up?

The Untold History of the WWE posted:

Magazine: We're two years removed [from the Benoit tragedy]- will there ever be a time when we can acknowledge him as part of WWE history?

Vince McMahon:
It's not right to pretend he didn't exist. It's one thing to include him as part of a historical perspective, which I believe is OK, and it's another thing to promote him, which is not OK. The situation is very similar to that of the O.J. Simpson-despite his controversy, O.J. was still a part of the NFL scene. You can't deny that he existed.

So my guess is you'll never see his one-on-one matches of DVD (maybe just a couple of photos from the match), and in big clusterfuck matches (Battle Royals, MitB, Royal Rumble, he'll be edited around).

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 14, 2009

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The whole "Jarrett holding Vince up" was because Jarrett was leaving, and he wanted his PPV payoff after that night, instead of six months later when everybody else would receive theirs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Atticus Finch posted:

Have they ever explained the kayfabe reason why wrestlers get certain music? Like "Hogan felt this music explained him perfectly" or something much better written.

Hogan's "Real American" was originally written for the U.S. Express.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Football is harder.

Brock was world champ within six months of debuting in professional wrestling.

He never made it in the NFL.

I rest my case.

Brock started his pro career in 2000, didn't win the WWE Title until 2002.

oldpainless posted:

Hey, what is the deal with Jesse Ventura's commentary on some of the videos? Sometimes he is on there but other times, like on the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD, you can plainly see Jesse at ringside talking and moving but it is all blanked out and only JR commentates. Does anyone know the reason for this?

From Wiki

quote:

In 1987, while negotiating his contract as a WWF commentator, Ventura waived his rights to royalties on videotape sales when he was falsely told that only feature performers received such royalties. In 1991, having discovered that other non-feature performers received royalties, Ventura brought an action for fraud, misappropriation of publicity rights, and unjust enrichment in Minnesota state court against Titan Sports. The case was removed to federal court, and Ventura won an $801,333 jury verdict on the last claim. The judgment was affirmed on appeal, and the case,[12] 65 F.3d 725 (8th Cir.1995), is an important result in the law of restitution.
As a result of Ventura's lawsuit, whenever WWE uses his commentary for mass marketed VHS/DVD, Ventura gets a percentage of the sales

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timby posted:

You're splitting hairs. You wouldn't say that people in FCW are in the pros, would you? Brock made his pro debut when he first appeared on television. That was in March 2002. He won the title in August 2002.

Yes, I would say people who are in FCW are pros. Being on TV isn't a requisite for being a pro wrestler.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Strike Force was the best tag team and Tito Santana is the man :colbert:

Arriba!

Zenk was a successful upper-midcarder in WCW, with a US Tag Title reign in a popular team with Brian Pillman, and a run with the TV Title (back when it was worth something), but then Ole Anderson came in and pushed out the younger talent with older wrestlers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'd love it if they did it again, and Santino drew number three . . . so using a marker, he'd change it to a "B".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

apsouthern posted:

In Bret Hart's autobiography (thanks Cletus42o) Bret claims he invented hitting the turnbuckle chest first (something I always associated with Chris Benoit personally, not having watched many Hart matches).

Is this bollocks as I suspect it may be? Does anyone have knowledge of any wrestlers before Bret doing this on a regular basis?

Bret did this all the time when he was in the Hart Foundation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

That's just because he was too weak to pick them up without them running at him!

Arn's finisher with Larry Zbyszko was Zbyszko spin-kicking them in the gut, and Arn just picking them up with a spinning spinebuster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

dusty udder smoker posted:

The Can-Am connection comes to mind.

Also The Killer Bees
The Bolsheviks
The New Dream Team
Rhythm & Blues
Bushwackers/Sheepherders
The Rougeaus (Had a title win, but it was overturned)
King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd
Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr
Dory Funk Jr & Jimmy Jack Funk
Bob Orton & Don Muraco
The Islanders
The New Foundation
High Energy
The Orient Express
Power & Glory
The Young Stallions

Those are just a few teams from the 80's/early 90's that never held WWF gold.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Do you think we'll get MacGruber as a guest host?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Has the Undertaker EVER done any shoot interviews, Q & A's, whatever since joining the WWE? Even any video of him acting out of character besides thanking Flair on the Raw after WM XXV?

There are plenty of second-hand accounts and whatnot but it'd be interesting to get it straight from the source.

About the time he came back as "Biker-taker" WWE put out a magazine that had an in-depth interview with him. Some of the highlights that I can remember:

He said Vince is a big western movie fan and had had the idea to do an "Undertaker" style character for years, but was waiting until he could find the right wrestler to give it to.

Before he was given the character, he was told he was going to debut at the Survivor Series; Taker was afraid that he was going to have to shave is head and be the "Egg-Man" (remember, this was the same year the Gooblety Gooker debuted)

He talked about wrestling in WCCW, and how in one of his first matches, he wrestled Bruiser Brody, and he decided he wasn't going to let this old-timer tell him what to do in the match. And said Brody put a stop to that, quick. But despite the disrespect he had shown Brody, when Fritz Von Erich was cutting wrestlers, Brody told Fritz to keep the big kid around, because he could be something.

He credits Paul Bearer with keeping him from getting in trouble.

There were also photos of him playing basketball on a driveway as a youngster, and photos from his wedding to Sara.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

1)No
2) Just makeup, to give him a more "demonic look". Used to have purple under his eyes as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

anakha posted:

Taker stole GSP's only suit. :(

Taker doesn't steal . . . he asks, and people give.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What's the difference between a hurricarana and a hudancarana? (The move Sabu used to do)

As with most of the moves in Sabu's arsenal, the Hudancarana was him leaping at his opponent, and hoping everything turned out all right at the end.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Moose Bigelow posted:

What wrestler would you say my posting correlates to? Jerusalem is poster of the year so I would say he is Chris Jericho or John Cena. I am trying to find out if I am WH2K's JTTS.

Hey there, Slam Master J!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The problem with The Dudleys came when it was time to renegotiate their contracts. The Dudleys wanted to go in together, and do their contracts at the same time, but WWE decided to do them separatedly. Which was fine, except WWE never considered the possibility that Bubba and D-Von would actually discuss their contract offers with one another. The Dudleys had figured that they'd both get the same contracts, but then they found out one was being favored over the other, and that pissed them off.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I've never understood why, instead of letting people go because they "don't have anything for them", why not give the chance to find a partner and try to make it in the tag division? There's been precedent of guys who were floundering around aimlessly, could have been let go, but had gotten a good bump from a being a part of the tag division.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Minidust posted:

I hate the "beat the champion to get a title shot" booking that happens a lot. I feel like that's a relatively recent phenomenon (like, late-'90s). Did they actually do that a lot in the olden days and I just don't remember it?

No, it's a wrestling tradition, you just never saw it in WWE, since they always had a face champion. In territories like Mid-Atlantic/NWA, since they had dominant heel champions, one way to build up a challenger was to have the wrestler beat the champ in either a non-title match, or pin him in a tag team match. It would help build interest in the match, and make the number one contender look like a main eventer since he could beat the champ clean. The result was usually the same, though; it would either go to a time-limit draw, the heel would be DQ'd, or you'd have a Dusty finish.

In the WWF, since you had a face champ, they would usually earn their title shots by attacking the champ, and then the champ, wanting to right that injustice, would grant him a title shot to guarantee a match with him. And the result would have the face champ overcoming the odds (since he was at a disadvantage, be it "injury" or being outnumbered due to managers).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Literally, the only bad thing I have ever heard about Cena is this board during the 2005/2006 "WE HATE CENARARLAJ" phase.

The guy is apparently just the best person in the world. Everything from doing a hundred and fifty Make a Wish visits a year to being extremely nice and conversational to fans outside of the ring to every story I've heard about him genuinely loving wrestling...yeah, Cena is basically :3: + :glomp: .

In his prime, the same was said about Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

*Jerry Lawler stands in middle of the ring, in tears. Sabu points upward*
Lawler: The champ is...here. *Breaks down*

Why would Sabu be there?