Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I thought Christian left because he wanted a shot at the main event, and the WWE saw him only as a mid-carder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Whitey Bear posted:

BattleBowl was a fantastic idea but WCW really dropped the ball after the very first one, where they had 40 men and 10 tag matches. They really screwed it when they dropped it down to 16 men and I think it even got lower than that. The whole point of the event was seeing unique teams (like Sting and Abdullah the Butcher, or Bill Kazmier and Jushin Liger in the first one) but years later you ended up with BattleBowl matches where regular tag team partners were teamed up with each other.

I saw an interview somewhere where Jim Ross addressed a lack of concept development, specifically mentioning BattleBowl, as a reason WCW failed.

Apparently, the random drawing was really random, in as happening live, so these guys had no time to prep matches.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

Jobbers to the Stars are built up to lose to the stars. Name one person Jerry Flynn beat.

He was managed by Jimmy Hart, and later beat Ernest Miller at Uncensored.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Salt In The Wound posted:

You people need to stop typing Ernest and Miller without putting "The Cat" in between.

Why? Is somebody gonna call their mother?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Flynn beat Miller, who beat Muta. Flynn>Muta.

Flynn has also beaten Carlito, who has beaten Cena, so using the transient properties, Jerry Flynn > the entire WWE. :colbert:

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 3, 2010

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I was always amused by the fact that WCW tried to sell La Parka to us a cruiserweight. I'm sorry, that man was at least two-fifty.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

I'd actually say the next strongest Japanese wrestler is either Baba or Chosu.

Tiger Chung Lee.

Sure he never won a match . . .

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

JavyOO7 posted:

What was so special about WWE's new show back, RAW? Didn't they already have stuff airing every week like Wrestling Challenge or Superstars?

Well, as it was mentioned, it was in primetime, and second, it was supposed to be "grittier" than Superstars and Challenge, (hence the title "RAW") and held in a smaller, more intimate setting than their usual shows.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

What's the best suplex?

I submit that it is William Regal's half Nelson exploder.

Any type of suplex Tazz did was the best suplex.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

The only significant tape library that they don't own is Memphis. At least, I am pretty sure they don't own the Memphis tape library.

Memphis usually just taped over their previous shows, so a lot of Memphis wrestling footage isn't around. They also don't own Mid-South/UWF. Bill Watts' ex got that in their divorce. I think they released like one or two DVDs on some no-name label.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Crooow! posted:

It was Riki Choshu, I believe.

You are correct sir! There's a photo floating around somewhere of Choshu having Hogan trapped in it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Razor Ramon.

Nikolai Volkoff.

Krusher Kruschev.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 23, 2010

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

He had the original gimmick of copying other wrestlers gimmicks. He kept the Dude Love one for awhile.

The best was the APA. The APA, when they were part of 'Taker's Ministry, had occult symbols drawn across their chests. When Stevie copied their gimmick, he came out with the UPN logo drawn across his.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Stevie was awesome when he was appointed GM of Sunday Night Heat, and he renamed it "Stevie Night Heat."

Of course, according to the storyline no one in the WWE was aware who exactly had appointed him GM, and he didn't seem to actually wield any power, but if Stevie said he was GM, who was going to argue?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Why exactly did Storm call it quits? I watched his match against AmDrag a few years back and he was awesome as always.

His back just couldn't take the stress of night after night bumps.

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I looked forward to Eddie Guerrero's program with Batista. Apparently they were going to give Eddie the WHC the week he died because Batista was injured. They turned Eddie completely heel beforehand and then after finally defeating Rey he proclaimed he was a changed man becoming a face (or a tweener depending how you look at it).

There were subtle hints here and there of Eddie using his friendship with Batista to manipulate him, catch him unguarded and take the WHC like the smirk after their match at No Mercy and Eddie hitting Batista with a chair in the back 'by accident'. I'm not sure if they would have turned Eddie back heel again and pummel Batista to the ground kayfabe injuring him but now we will never know..

Wasn't the whole point of the feud was that Batista kept expecting Eddie to turn on him? Like he never bought into all the stuff Eddie was doing for him?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Acrolos posted:

You should see him today. He does all of the indie shows in this area, and he looks like he's on death's door. It's sickening to see him.

Well, seeing as he debuted in '64, and is almost seventy. They all can't be on the juice like Vince.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

tigerdriver82 posted:

In the same vein as the Kevin Sullivan Question, is Larry Zbyszko's entire career based around the Bruno Sammartino fued?

Let's see; former WWF Tag Team Champion, WCW World Tag Team Champion, WCW Television Champion, AWA World Champion, 2 WarGames matches he was in were rated 5 Stars. Oh, and that whole "buying the WWF championship" bit WWF did with Ted DiBiase? They stole that from Larry, when he bought the National Heavyweight Title from Killer Brooks. He's also considered one of the best heels/talkers of all time.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1t87n_larry-zbyszko-vs-terra-ryzing-wcw-t_sport

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

So he did. But Edge did like three jobs on WCW's B-show, so I wouldn't really call him a WCW guy. That'd be like calling Tommy Dreamer a IWCCW guy.

What about Vince? He appeared on Georgia Championship Wrestling!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Fill in the blank memories:

NWA, late 80s. Kevin Sullivan and the Varsity Club drag someone down the aisle using a coat hanger? in any case, dragging them using something around their neck. Someone comes to save the dragged, via full-ring slide; I'd've bet money the saver was Sting, but google and youtube turn up nothing based on what I'm searching for.

Million Internetbucks if you can come up with a video of it, as well.

Kevin Sullivan used the coat hanger a lot. The last time it was used as a major plot point was the Varsity Club's feud with "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin. Like A Dapper Man mentioned, Precious at one point got ahold of it and used it against Sullivan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Space Cob posted:

I've been watching the 2009 Royal Rumble and got to thinking: are there any matches similar to the Rumble held by other promotions?

WCW (Windy City Wrestling) had what they called the "Luck-of-the-Draw" Battle Royal. Twenty men, after drawing numbers, coming in at thirty second intervals. And they did it before the WWF!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I seem to recall Johnny Ace being the one to do the yelling on this.

Can't have those wannabe Divas getting fat!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

To the best of my recollection, When the brand split first happened the champions could compete on any brand so after Taker won the championship Hogan, he was on Raw and Smackdown every week for a while. Before he won the title from Hogan he I think was on the Raw roster.

Nah, after the initial only the WWE Heavyweight and Woman's title could go between brands. The I-C, European, and Hardcore belts were exclusive to RAW, and the Tag Team and Cruiserweight belts were exclusive to Smackdown.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shitty_Wok posted:

What in gods name is up with Heenan's introduction of Lex Luger to the WWF at the '93 RR? He was practically beating off over Luger's body. It was just really... creepy, I guess.

That was Luger's gimmick, "The Narcissist". He was supposed to be the epitome of physical perfection. And he was a heel, so of course Heenan would go nuts over it.

WWE would later recycled the gimmick for Chris Masters.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Reverse that and you've got something.

"So-a Vladamir! Whatta we gonna do tonight?"

"Same thing we do every night, Santino. Try to take over double-double-E!!!"

Shitty_Wok posted:

I wholeheartedly support this.

You know, the new Smackdown vs RAW game comes out in a couple of days . . .

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CVagts posted:

Patterson and Brisco taught him how to counter the stunner. And apparently they failed because Vince was stunned more than anybody.

No Vince screwed up. Patterson and Brisco told him that all he had to do was catch Austin's leg when Austin went for that initial gut kick, and then Vince WOULD OWN HIM!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mystery Opponent posted:

People lying in the middle of the squared circle forever whilst rvd/eddy guerrero/evan bourne set up their top rope high risk maneuvers

if you nailed the dude so hard that he can lie there motionless for such a long time, just pin him!

What about Randy Savage? He can bodyslam a guy so hard that their body repositions itself as he scales the turnbuckle so he can perfectly nail the flying elbow!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Uh, what about Feb 5, 1988? Andre beat Hogan for the WWF Title!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Living Vicariously posted:

Wasn't this all when Shawn had a gently caress ton of influence backstage, though? I imagine a lot of the concept of getting the belt on him was simply Shawn whispering in Vince's ear the whole time.

Apparently, at one point, in front of the whole locker room, Shawn told Vince he wasn't going to job to anyone anymore, especially Bret.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hockles posted:

Has there ever been a gimmick of an American Civil War soldier?

The Southern Boys (Tracy Smothers and Steve Armstrong) came out in Confederate gear, but it wasn't like specific characters.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

edit: Tito Santana was also very smart with his money, putting away towards his retirement and making sure his family was taken care of while he was on the road. He still wrestles indies, but only when he wants to, and was so respected in the locker room for not being an idiot with his money that doing so became known as "the Tito thing."

And he was such a professional and reliable worker, Vince had said he "wished he had a whole locker room of Tito Santanas".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

TNA? Mesias/Abyss/Black Reign/relliK any one James Mitchell managed, Sting has had some kind of Supernatural aspects to him. Sting was also in WCW too. WCW also had Seven...which was a one night thing, but probably cost a poo poo ton of money. For ROH? Closest could be Delirious, but that is more of a mysterious gimmick.

Apparently someone has forgotten about the legendary Black Scorpion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

What was Oliver Humperdink's gimmick when he managed Bam Bam Bigelow in the WWF? I think I remember seeing him on the first Survivor Series, and it really seemed to just basically be "I wear gaudy clothing but here I am with a pretty awesome fatty who does cartwheels! and "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff"

That was the entirety of his gimmick.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 11, 2011

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Big Bossman. This was after he was "The Boss" until the WWF threatened to sue. So they had the douchebag Guardian Angels threaten to sue them instead!

Oh, no, no, no. Did you never see the vignettes where he trained with the Guardian Angels, and had him out there "patrolling" with them?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Eddie Guerrero, I believe, wrestled under the influence.

And with the highspots they use in the cage match, you'd think they'd stick with the blue one, since it looks a lot easier to climb then the chain link one.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 15, 2011

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Didn't Hardy wrestled a few WWE matches under the influence? I swear I remember him coming out looking not quite there.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 15, 2011

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I never felt Orton was believable in his role as a psycho/unstable heel. For me, this was the heel role Randy was most suited for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-2XqSnOOo&feature=related

Now this, I could utterly believe this was Randy Orton.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Endorph posted:

This was brought up on Review an Impact, so bros...

Has anyone ever won a best 2/3 falls match without losing a fall? 2 and 0, in other words.

I remember a tag match in late 80's/early 90's WWF that did this, but for the life of me I can't remember the tag teams involved. :argh:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I actually don't blame Ace for that, because he spent a lot of his career in Japan, which didn't make as heavy use of managers.

Maybe he's still bitter that his biggest role in the US wrestling scene was a "flag bearer" to The Sheepherders?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The ring general is the wrestler who is responsible for calling the spots during their match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Trollologist posted:

Does anyone know why Jericho was picked to become the first undisputed champion? Because everything I've read seems to point out that Vince has never been very fond of Chris.

HHH was out with an injury.