Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Wojtek posted:

What are some cases where someone is accidentally legit KO'd by a move?

Here's Low Ki being Low Ki by knocking out his opponent, not checking on him while he does his angry gorilla shtick, and then calling everyone else in the building a scrub in a promo afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-xoN6Kx1VI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Right, but in his first book Foley uses it as an example to Bischoff about how he's not a focus in WCW or something, if I remember correctly. A year later they repeat the spot and the Brain throws off some one-liner and nobody mentions the previous act.

Yeah, they repeated the spot exactly a year to the day of the first powerbomb at the Disney tapings. Mick went to Bischoff and explained all of it and Bischoff agreed it was a good idea. When they aired the match the Excedrine comment was made and that's when Mick decided to get the gently caress out.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah well if he gets powerbombed on the outside mat, he still gets written out and doesn't get a concussion/neck injury/whatever. Anyway I vaguely recall that Arn Anderson or someone in back basically called him a dumbass when he was planning this spot.

"Cactus Jack, you have no sense."
"Yeah, but I have no dollars, either."
"Point well taken."

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Seriously, it's fantastic. He slaps Perfect then INSTANTLY has the most sincere look of absolute terror. It is just a face that says "I have just made a terrible mistake."

He did the same thing when he slapped Andre at WM VI. Andre's eyes go wide and Heenan looks like he just dropped a load in his pants out of fear.

Then Andre totally whiffs slapping him and the whole thing kinda falls apart.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

He'd lock her away backstage in fits of jealousy, security was reportedly warned to keep him away from drugs and abusing her, he'd demand she stay in the house when he was out of town with only stacks of TV dinners to eat, he was basically a nightmare abusive husband who controlled everything in his wife's life.

There's also the wonderful story from Gorgeous George's shoot interview about how Savage tried to arrange a three way with her 17 year old sister.

Savage summed up in one quote:

"Your job is to keep Randy from doing drugs and hitting Elizabeth. You will fail at one of these tasks."

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Yep, that's definitely it. Other part of my question does still stand, if anyone knows about that match or promotion or whatever I'd like to know.

Most likely FMW. Mr Pogo is the one with the face paint that carries the scythe around. I think he actually cut a few people with it hardway, but it was mostly used to look brutal and smear the already present blood around.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Chris Benoit took it too seriously

Benoit/Daniel - DUD. Squash match.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

There'a story in Foley's first book about getting a coughing fit in the middle of a match due to undiagnosed Whooping Cough. Because he was coughing so hard he started to dry heave. His tag partner (might have been Kevin Sullivan?) had a really weak stomach and started to dry heave watching Mick. So there were two wrestlers in the middle of the ring attempting, and failing, to vomit.

Also the recent episode of Punk making GBS threads his pants on Smackdown and the ref having to pick a chunk of poo poo off the mat.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, at least that's what T3d had said in interviews (I seem to recall the one from the Art of Wrestling podcast). Records of it were kept and all, with instructions that if he'd abused it he'd lose it. They even went further: he always flew first class, rode in limos, etc. It really help foster envy and heat within the locker room and his extravagant displays of wealth (buying everybody's meal at restaurant, etc) really helped get him over via word of mouth and in newspapers - basically social media before what we'd know it to be today.

I seem to recall him saying that he'd be a nice guy when he thought he could get away with it (I believe the kid in that infamous basketball promo got the money anyway), but for a good long stretch there he lived his gimmick.

I was a couple years older than that kid at the time and when DiBiase kicked that basketball on the 14th bounce, I hated his guts. :argh: So yeah, it absolutely succeeded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoQ2b3k8Uo
I've told this story before, but I was a sample of how DiBiase really was, even though I didn't know it at the time.

When I was 6 my parents took me to a show at Boston Garden a few months after WM V. As a kid I had a huge anxiety problem so I had a huge aversion to loud noise. So when Hogan's music hit for the main even and the place went loving banana I lost my poo poo and my parents had to take my out of the crowd to console me.

We end up in some hallway in the depths of the Garden while I'm still bawling and the loving Million Dollar Man comes out of a nearby bathroom, still in his tights. My dad sees him and apparently gets a "Holy gently caress" look on his face. DiBiase points at me and mouths "Is he ok?" to my father, who nods. Ted gives him a thumbs up and slips back into the bathroom so I don't see him once I calm down. So basically he broke kayfabe in the height of it to check on a panicked little boy and was willing to hide in the bathroom for God knows how long so I didn't see him and get upset at the bad guy being near him.

Dad told me this years later and I was pissed because I was a little smark gently caress and LOVED the Million Dollar Man as a kid. He was the only heel I liked.

As an aside I calmed down and we watched the poo poo Hogan/Savage shmaz finish and my mom went to the bathroom back where we were before since she knew where it wa.s She walks out rushing to get back and walks face first into Jake the Snake's chest. So my parents got all the luck and I got poo poo cause I was a whiny bitchy baby.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I loving love Nash for poo poo like this. Dude is just entertaining as hell when he wants to be. His knowing nod when he predicts Cornette saying side slam is the best.

Also, what is the Squisher? Jumping on someone laying across the ropes I'm guessing?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Kevin Nash is one of about four confirmed left-wingers in wrestling.

I loved the interview where he was showing of his gun, and the interviewer asked if he was an NRA guy. Nash says "I'm a 'Keep away from my loving poo poo.' guy."

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Corzaa posted:

Yeah Mick's crazy. Like when he asked Randy Orton to legit punch him a few times so he'd get a black eye during their "Legend Killer" feud.

My favorite story about how batshit Mick is.

Him and Vader do the match where Vader kicks the poo poo out of him and Mick looks like he got eaten by a wolf and poo poo off a cliff. Mick looks so hosed up they won't even do promos with him after, and he finds out that they're going to censor the match due to TBS' no blood policy. Mick is rightfully pissed but pleads his case and Bischoff says he'll do what he can.

A few days later Mick gets a call that they want him at Center Stage to do promos, oh and by the way, can you look all hosed up like you did after the match? The cuts are somewhat healed now, but that's no problem for Mick. He hops in his car, drives down the road while punching himself to open the cuts, and uses sandpaper on his face to abrade the skin off.

Also hysterical in his book is the time where he accidentally bladed himself so deep that Robert Fuller told him it looked like someone put a pussy in the middle of his forehead.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I wear my now beat-to-poo poo Punk BITW shirt out all the time. I don't think I would wear anything newer though.

I wore that shirt when I first got it to go to Target or something real quick. A little boy of about 6 saw me and started marking the gently caress out and ran over to tell me how much he loved Punk. Then he did the "It's clobbering time!" yell in the middle of the store. :3:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

crackage posted:

How often to wrestlers shower? I'd assume they do right after a match but do they shower before a match too? Several times a show?

I would assume like a normal human being. If you feel gross or you stink before a match shower before and after. Unless you're Balls Mahoney who apparently smelled like an anchovie's oval office at all times because he never bathed.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Morrison in a pre-tape or even a backstage segment was brilliant. Morrison with a mic in front of a live crowd was embarrassing. Mr Ziggles was so bad he had to repeat it several times to get the crowd to half-heartedly chant it, and crowds will chant anything. It was like the anti Austin 3:16 promo.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Aku posted:

It's a (very gruesome) work. The popular rumor is that Manny Fernandez was shooting on Invader 3 for the Bruiser Brody stabbing, but this happened a month or two before Brody died. Invader 3 apparently drank blood and alcohol before the match, which explains the massive vomiting.

The rumor is pigs blood and vodka.

I remember seeing this for the first time a few years ago and being really loving disturbed because I was sure it was a shoot. Then I looked it up and felt like a dipshit.

I'm really glad poo poo like this is pretty much gone from the modern product. Someone posted a Memphis video last week where someone gigged and pulled a 1.0 Muta and the kids in the front row looked white as sheets. I think a minor blade once a year for a huge blowoff blood feud would be ok but poo poo like Eddie's job or Flair flinging his blood into the crowd are unnecessary.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cromulent posted:

I wonder if that Leatherface spike nail thing is exaggerated. It's been a while since I've seen that match, but I don't really remember anything that actually seemed like a shoot. All of the supposed unplanned spots like the legdrop and powerbomb looked worked. The entire match was considerably less brutal than other IWA-Japan or FMW matches.

I just watched it and it's pretty bad. Kirschner's partner is trying to protect Ono throughout the match. He holds the nails as steady as he can during the leg drop, and him "helping" the powerbomb is basically supporting Ono's head and neck so they take less damage.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Didn't it happen even before the trial when Vince didn't want to pay an athletic commission, so he just said, "C'mon, this poo poo is fake as hell. I will keep all my money, thanks!"

Edit: Yep, it was New Jersey in 1989.

I wouldn't say this was the end of Kayfabe as it was still kept up on the programming. The fact that he admitted it was fake to dodge paying sanctions was not widely known until later.

I would say the complete end of Kayfabe was the Vince Attitude promo where he outright states that the wrestlers are performers and follow storylines. ECW obviously went over the line before that but that promo just killed it dead.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Nash's reaction watching that video is one of the best things ever and a reason why I love the guy.

Nash: "Side slam"
Corny on video: "Side slam..."
Nash: *nods sagely*

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

:perfect:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I still love how 80s WWF was such a happy fun time, then Undertaker comes out at Survivor Series and you can see the audience immediately going "Oh poo poo, what the hell is that?" He was just different than anything that came before.

Roddy helped by selling it like God himself had started walking down the aisle.

"Holy Cow! Check out the size of that hamhock!"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

CarlCX posted:

While I don't disagree with your conclusion, in fairness to the man, his 2002 return from the quad injury got a giant loving Jesus pop. At his prime, the crowd really, really gave a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGQugQpjz8

That loving outfit he's wearing. Jesus.

sticklefifer posted:

The last ever FCW match was great too. He and Ambrose had a long standing escalating rivalry and Regal cut his excellent "drag him to a carpark and set him on fire" promo. Then the match came to a no contest because Ambrose made him bleed from the ear.

Regal feuds :allears:

Does anyone have video of that promo? I was looking last night and couldn't find it.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

The entirety of the 80's.

Also pretty much everyone in the klik was on a huge amount of drugs but I don't know if anyone of them ever turned up too intoxicated to perform other than Scott Hall win WCW.

Is one of his shoots Nash mentions that he and Shawn would start the night with 10 Somas just before they hit the gorilla position. They would go home when one of them said "I'm kicking" which got them about 15-20 minutes before they were both useless.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

If this was anything similar to me doing that as a teenager the effects were probably nothing cause they turned out to be allergy and pms pills

Turned out to be phenobarbital or another anti-seizure drug if I remember correctly. X-Pac downed like 4 so Nash said "I outweigh him by 120 so I'll take 8." I could honestly listen to Nash tell drug stories all night.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

YMB posted:

So, I've been getting casually into WWE over the past few months. Last night was my first full event watched (lol I know). Something that's been bothering me about the general fighting in the match: why is literally everyone so bad at selling punches/hits? From any angle it's extremely obvious that nobody is even close to making contact. Is it harder than I think it is to just hit someone lightly and have them oversell it? I always find it takes me right out of a match when some guy gets cornered and then they just throw a flurry of meaningless "punches" that don't even come close to looking like anything interesting.

I'm not asking for "realism", but why even bother with that? There's plenty of other stuff you can do in a match that's way more interesting and actually involves contact and isn't seriously jeopardizing anyone's safety (i.e., everything else that happens).

Sorry if I got all the terminology wrong, feel free to correct me. :shobon:

Put it this way, one of the best of of all time at throwing a "worked" punch was Terry Funk. When Mick Foley had his first match against Funk he was all excited because he finally got to find out how Terry did it.

Terry put him in the corner, wound up, and Mick found out that his punches looked so good because Terry punched him as hard as he could in the middle of the forehead.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Rhgr posted:

I didn't watch many Raws during the guest host era and Dr Phil has me wondering, which ones were the worst?

I remember Shaq actually being pretty good but I'm sure some of them must have had no idea how wrestling works.

Aforementioned Denis Miller (Tried his political sarcastic comedy shtick on wrestling fans, was met with either total apathy or outright hostility. Also in kayfabe he is the one to give Vince the idea of bringing Bret Hart back)

ZZ Top was an obvious pre-shoot where they weren't actually in the building. Same with Ashton Kutcher I believe.

Jeremy Piven and Dr Ken were awful and the origin of the genesis of the Summerfest meme.

I believe they had a couple NASCAR guys on and it was pretty dire.

The whole guest host era is a very, very dark timeline.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I am actually kind of curious as to how the hell Pogo stabbing Kanemura with the scythe worked. It looked like Kanemura was wearing some kind of padding, but he was also gushing blood. Did they break out a blood pack? We must maintain safety in this highly ridiculous match!

The answer is Pogo was a literal insane person. There's multiple matches of him stabbing people in the lower back with his scythe and then twirling it around while you watch the tip sink deeper into the skin. As far as I know that scythe was not worked at all.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know if you can call something the peak of dumb hardcore gimmick types without mentioning the Anus Explosion Deathmatch, where the goal is to literally shove lit fireworks up a dude's rear end in a top hat.

Yeah but the feud that this was in owned.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

why do i want to say chikara?

Because Quack getting upset at an audience reaction that he can't control is par for the course. Too bad he couldn't make them all sleep on the couch.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Destroy My Sweater posted:

help

I'm pretty sure the avatar was a close-up of David Banners' face from this picture:

DominatedOhSix? I'm pretty sure he had that as an av back in the day.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I always enjoyed when Jesse Ventura would only call out Joey Marella by name and call him an idiot since he was Gorilla's son.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

bartok posted:

Is there a reason why WWE doesn't treat the KSA events like house shows and just not air them on their network or promote them on air?
It would still be a super lovely place to hold an untelevised house show but it wouldn't seem quite as lovely if they were hush hush about it like when a Nicki Minaj or a Jennifer Lopez are hired to perform at the birthday party of some horrific dictator.

Propaganda doesn't work if it's not broadcast.

Edit to be more clear: The shows are not in any way for the people of KSA. KSA paid WWE an obscene amount of money to create 5 hour commercials for KSA that happen to feature wrestling. The first one had literal propaganda videos shown on the stream iirc.

Critical fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2019

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Foley transforming from Mankind to Cactus and subsequently beating HHHs rear end.

DDPs reveal as the stalker because the crowd reaction is ace. Just a collective booowhaaaaaOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

The crowd realizing Moxley has arrived at Double or Nothing

And for an obscure entry, Akeem erasing Shawn Micahels from existence with a lariat at WM5 and Ventura's deadpan "I think he irritated Akeem" makes me laugh every time.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Going to All Out by myself and it's going to be loving killer. Cause I can get wrecked on edibles and watch awesome wrestling without worrying about anyone else.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

FakePoet posted:

I know I see it referenced every now and then, how adept a particular wrestler is at really selling the late 2 count, so...what are some of the best 2.99999 counts? I imagine the context of a given match/moment enhances this sort of thing a lot.

Comedy option: Jeff Jarrett

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

anakha posted:

I just searched on Youtube after the Jarrett mentions above, and I ended up watching the latter part of Jarrett vs Monty Brown.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, you guys weren't kidding.

I skipped forward randomly to see him kick out of a powebomb by sticking both hands up straight into the air. His shoulders didnt even move.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gearl Hebner because shes just really loving good at being a ref and takes no poo poo from mountain sized dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I would wear the gently caress out of that nwo shirt.