Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Lazy like a Fox posted:

On the bleach issue- I think ROH had Homicide force Cabana to drink "bleach", or was it Drano?

Drano gel. And after Cabana finally won the Chicago Street Fight against Homicide, Smokes and Reyes came out with a noose, but Homicide finally ended the madness and shook Cabana's hand.

Less than two minutes later, Cabana was back to his dancin' self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Lazy like a Fox posted:

It's the second one, but I didn't learn that until after I accidentally watched 30 seconds of the first one. Gross. I love how it's the same guy in both of them too- how long do these "careers" last for these guys?

That feud was probably the best one either of those guys ever had. The Chicago street fight in particular might be my favorite match from both of them, and one of my favorite deathmatches.

It was definitely an awesome feud, and that feud-ender match had a number of good spots, like Cabana throwing rubbing alcohol in Homicide's bloody face, or the rain of chairs.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

So Jack Evans's corkscrew 630 is still the flippiest move right?

Pretty much, though it doesn't stop someone like Yoshitsune from trying.

Corkscrew SSP!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Granted, in the case of Shane Storm/STIGMA, not only did he change masks, he changed attire, AND wrestling style. The Stormer was more of the lucha-style contrived armdrag spots and whatnot. STIGMA's pretty much a brawler, and the style suits him a lot better.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Dragon Gate had a heel ref for a while, too, when the Muscle Outlaw'z were still around. Kinta Tomoaka was their personal referee (came out with the faction, wore their colors), and was even more blatant about his bias than Nick Patrick with his "one, two, OWW MY ARM" counts.

Tomoaka would refuse to count at all, or he'd stomp the face wrestler making the pin. Sometimes MO'z would beat up the regular ref to insert Tomoaka. And if regular ref tried to get back into the match, Tomoaka would kick him in the balls.

In one match (on the Best of Dragon Gate Vol. 1 DVD set), Gamma vs CIMA, Hair vs Hair, when Gamma rolled up CIMA, Tomoaka actually dove OVER TOP of them, adding his weight to the pile, to count the three.

A Dragon Gate official came out and overturned the decision, ordered the match restarted. Tomoaka kicked him in the balls, but it was no sold and he got laid out for it.

CIMA ended up losing the match anyway.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain I remember him being at least heelish leading into WM17 but by the end of the night, Austin had done everything he could to make Rock into wrestling Jesus.

Problem was, WM17 was in Texas, and Austin could have raped a baby in the ring, and they STILL would have cheered him.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the entire storyline and was sad that it just got cut off for reasons I was never entirely sure of (although I presume it incorporates Vince and Hogan having another falling out).

Yup, that's pretty much exactly the reason. Hogan wanted too much money or something, Vince refused it, so they just wrote him off altogether.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

That refs reaction is perfect - it's the exact reaction I would have if I walked into my bathroom at 2 am and saw a giant spider on the wall

Best reaction from a referee not named Remsberg.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Honeymoon posted:

I liked his WM24 spot better, totally because of Carlito staring at Shelton and thinking "aw gently caress, did we actually kill him?"

Pneub posted:

Made all the better for Kennedy being all, "That briefcase is really high up there, oh wait, what's going on over here?"

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I think I recall King using one during one of his one-off matches against <low-midcard heel of the month> a couple of years back.

Didn't Shawn Michaels use it against John Cena at Wrestlemania a couple years ago?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Beeswax posted:

I remember someone here at WH had a sign at one of their shows with their chant on it. It was just some onomatopoetic garbage as far as I could tell. Or maybe that's just his interpretation of it :)

I was the guy with that sign, at King of Trios '09. It was "UGOMAIMEBUISUM," which I got off the cover of one of their DVDs which I'd seen advertised somewhere. I have no idea what it means, but all of Da Soul Touchaz marked out for the sign and were glad to autograph it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

So, who's got the better beard:

Grizzly Redwood or Mike Knox?

Mike Knox's beard is truly impressive, and he's still up and walking around after taking a shillelagh shot to the beard, which gives him the advantage over the Grizz, whose beard was not powerful enough to withstand the mighty boot of Brodie Lee.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Better tag team title match that week: Austin/Triple H vs. Benoit/Jericho (RAW 5/21/01) or TLC 3 (Smackdown 5/24/01)?

That whole week was just a blaze of awesome wrestling from Benoit, even if it did end up contributing a lot to his brain damage. He wrestled five matches at Judgment Day (one 3-Stage Match against Angle (Pinfalls/Submissions/Ladder), 2 tag matches with Jericho in the Tag Team Turmoil), then the Quad-Breaker match against the Power Trip on Raw, and then the very next night at the Smackdown tapings, he and Jericho wrestled in TLC 3 and put on a hell of a show.

Benoit was the major-league man that week. But I'd go with TLC 3 because Benoit, despite being beat up and exhausted, he still marched out with bruised ribs to win the whole thing.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Hockles posted:

There's a new ant!? Hell, I haven't been following CHIKARA enough as I want to. They are expensive to follow.

The two main ants are still Fire and Soldier. (Current Chikara Campeones de Parejas, too!) Worker Ant was retired back in February by F.I.S.T., specifically by Chuck Taylor's Omega Driver on the floor of the venue. Green Ant made his first appearance that same night, coming out to check on the fallen Worker, though Green didn't have a match for like two months.

Back in May, at Anniversario Yang, toward the end of the Colony vs F.I.S.T. (Icarus & Chuck Taylor) Masks vs Hair match, Akuma took out Green, but then a brown ant (Carpenter Ant) showed up and took out Akuma.

Carpenter made his official debut in August at Young Lions Cup VII, made a pretty good showing against Soldier (heavy striking and drat good submissions), and teamed with Green a few times through the fall. He also won the Torneo Cibernetico, eliminating Soldier with an INVERTED Chikara Special.

Then at the end of the Season 8 Finale, "Three Fisted Tales," he turned out to be part of the BDK group, along with Vokoder/Tim Donst, Sara Del Rey, Daizee Haze, Ares, Claudio, a big Viking guy, and an unnamed eighth member. And Carpenter unmasked to reveal that he was Pinkie Sanchez.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

I hear so much about how bad Russo is for the business, but obviously he did someting right in WWF/E to get to the level he's at today.

Everything I've heard seems to indicate that Russo was a success in the WWF because there was a filter for most of the poo poo he came up with. (Namely: Vince McMahon) When Russo jumped to WCW, they didn't have such a filter, nor any central figure of authority with the final word, so instead of only the occasional bit of poo poo getting past the filter, it was ALL going out there.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

TL posted:

That powerbomb/neckbreaker combination that the Dudebusters sued on ECW, isn't that the move that Raven and Kanyon used that broke one of the Villanos necks?

I dunno about that, but when I saw the Dudebusters bust out that move, I was thinking, "Hey, isn't that Beer Money's D.W.I.?"

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Tong Quixote posted:

I was thinking back to the promos that aired before Angle's debut in 1999—the ones about him being a gold medalist, champion athlete, all-American chunk of redwhiteandblue—and I wondered if he was meant to come in as a face, but had his plans changed prior to his TV debut?

Most of the stories I've heard about that indicate that the WWF had learned from their mistake in doing much the same for the debuting Rocky Maivia, who was pushed as a clean cut, smilin' babyface blue-chipper. The fans turned on it. (And they later used that very hatred to fuel Rocky's heel turn and in turn become The Rock, and the rest is history.)

So when Kurt Angle came along, they did much the same, with the expectation that the fans would hate it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Burrito posted:

Not sure, but it probably involved Ric Flair.

Ric Flair doesn't need to blade. The skin on his head has about as much give as tissue paper. All he has to do is get a vein throbbing on his head and he'll start to bleed.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I want to say Morishima has done it... but, I just can't picture it.

If Morishima ever dove over the top rope, the force of impact would be so great that it would trigger a 10.0 earthquake.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Burrito posted:

This is the guy that made me realize what "indy as gently caress" meant.

'Sup, Gary the Barn Owl?

Though I think he goes by "Gary J." these days.

That's Pierre Abernathy on the right. I'd recognize that overbite anywhere.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

bradzilla posted:

When did Edge debut Metalingus? Was there anything special about when he switched from Never Gonna Stop Me?

He switched right around the time of the first Taboo Tuesday, I think. That was also around the time he switched from his babyface character to heel.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Speaking of naming moves, has anyone ever named the front lungblower/backstabber yet?

If not, I nominate chestburster.

I think I've heard the front lungblower referred to as the "bloodblower" or something similar.

The Codebreaker is different, in theory. The front lungblower drives the knees into the chest, while the Codebreaker drives the knees into the face/jaw.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Orton started as a babyface, but then he hurt his shoulder. While he was out they started doing RNN updates where he would do heelish face updates about the status of his shoulder.

I remember those. He also had a tendency to use the RNN updates to interrupt a Shawn Michaels backstage segment of some kind.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Did he actually take part in the making of that himself?

Yes. It was originally posted on Morrison's own YouTube account.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Matlock posted:

There was a clip a while back wherein someone argued a count and got the referee to go his way. Anyone know where it is?

IIRC, it was in Chikara, and the wrestler who successfully convinced the referee it was a three-count was Darkness Crabtree.

Chikara's also the company where a wrestler has fully admitted to breaking the rules, asks the ref if he'll disqualify him, and the ref says "Nope." Witness Quack's flirtation with the rudo side!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Exactly, if we'd had strictly enforced weight classes then we would have never got to see the fruits of Jamie Noble's impossible quest to get laid.

Or the Hurricane's endless quest to Hurri-chokeslam the un-chokeslamable.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

Still not quite as funny as The Rock's 'Hoodrat trick you call a wife'

I always liked his "five-dollar-- no. Two-dollar-- no. Fifty-cent-- no. Does anybody have change for a nickel?" line.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hulk Hogan

The only bear hug I seem to recall Hogan losing to was Brock Lesnar's, and even then, I think he passed out rather than tap out, while doing the whole 'internal bleeding from the mouth' thing.

Then Brock destroyed him with a chair and smeared his blood on his chest like warpaint, which was pretty loving awesome.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Shitty_Wok posted:

Does anyone still use the shoulder-breaker?

Last person I recall used it was Heidenreich.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

George Kaplan posted:

At Chikarasaurus Rex, Gavin Loudspeaker came out to a really awesome song that began with an organ riff and then the lyrics "I used to feel DOOOOWWWWNN!" and then some crunchy guitars came in.

I must have this song. Does anyone know what it was?

Talk to Wiggly, the guy who does Chikara's Podcasts. He's in a band, and I think all of the songs that Chikara uses in their Podcasts are his.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

triplexpac posted:

So what the hell is that wacky noise Mick Foley makes every time he throws a punch or gets hit. "HAZAH. HAZAH." or something like that

It's just nonsensical syllables. Foley even commented on it in one of his autobiographies, I think "Foley is Good."

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

That was actually Matt Cross. Sydal did some nutty stuff but his highlight was that he worked the street fight in I believe a polo shirt.

Pretty much this. I was there live for that match. Sydal and Cross fought up onto the bleachers, Sydal got knocked off, and Cross kicked off the wall before doing a flipping senton onto him.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Faxman posted:

Is there somewhere online I can watch Chikara? I've never been able to find more than random clips

Not for free. They have some of their shows up on Hybrident.tv, I believe. But no full matches.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Bryce Remsburg?

Fixed it. And I'd agree there. Bryce does commentary, Podcast-a-Go-Go, the Chikara Event Center, and he never fails to be friendly and entertaining.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

apsouthern posted:

Icarus has a Death Valley Driver called the "Blu-Ray" (because it's like a DVD but better)

To make it different, Icarus does it into the bottom turnbuckle, and looks like it should straight up murder the victim. IIRC, the first match he used it, Gavin Loudspeaker (the commentator) called it, "The Blu-Ray, it's just that much better than a DVD!"

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Sue Denim posted:

One more question for around this era, when did the Undertakers biker gimmick stop and how did they end it and bring back the Deadman gimmick?

Bikertaker lasted from Judgment Day 2000 until Survivor Series 2003, when he was buried alive by Kane. The Buried Alive Match was actually Taker vs. Mr. McMahon-- who pretty much did nothing except bleed loving everywhere while Taker pummeled him. Then Kane shows up, sets off a pyro in his face, chokeslams him into the grave, and hits the switch to bury him in the dirt.

Fast forward to Royal Rumble 2004. Kane's in the Rumble, and when the buzzer hits for the next entrant, the lights go out. BONG. Kane flips out, gets eliminated in the distraction, and goes on a tear for the next two months as more eerie videos and strange happenings take place during Kane's matches. (Smoke emanating from under the ring, raining indoors, Kane's pyro not working, the lights going weird colors, and the ring levitating.)

Match is booked for WrestleMania 20. Kane vs Undertaker. Taker shows up with Paul Bearer, in Deadman mode, and whoops Kane's rear end.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

What's the difference between a Lariat and a Clothesline?

One is done on the indies and in Japan, the other's done in the WWE. That's really pretty much the only reason.

And in Japan, they pronounce it "LARIATOOOO~!"

LightsGameraAction posted:

Also between a Super Kick and a Savate Kick.

One is a finisher, one's not. Again, pretty much the only reason.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Captain Misc. posted:

I want a mime gimmick, mostly for the invisible wall spot. Opponent comes off the ropes, runs at the mime, but runs into some sort of force field, which the mime then runs his hands across. The other guy gets up, tries feeling along the wall too, can't find a way through. Mime opens a "window" punches the other dude in the face.

Didn't the Florida Brothers do something like that in Toryumon/Dragon Gate once?

Edit: Burrito!!! :argh:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Has anybody since Rugged Ronnie Garvin used the Garvin Stomp? That move always cracked me up when I was a kid, and I could never take it seriously, even back during my "IT'S REAL YOU GUYS" phase when I was 8.

Randy Orton used it for a while as a heel. The announcers (well, JR) even called it such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Dieter Von Steigerwalt in Chikara

Dieter rarely made appearances, and when he did, he didn't talk much. The most "talking" he did was in the blogs that Chikara posts on its website, and a lot of the time, there's debate about whether the wrestlers in question actually wrote them.

Now, Jakob Hammermeier, the hilariously entertaining, easily injured German ring announcer in Chikara, on the other hand. He was basically the inspiration for Ricardo Rodriguez, and like Ricardo, he is awesome.