Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

every once and a while i'll start to hate my brain for retaining absolutely needless wrestling information (read: anything related to wrestling) and this morning it was bob holly's like, two-week stint where he'd win matches by using a plate in his forearm which was never mentioned again afterward. wikipedia has nothing on the subject. this really happened, right?

Was this a rehash of Lex Luger's metal plate but with Bob Holly, or was Lex what you remembered?

Edit: I just read about Bob's real life metal plate in 2000 so maybe they did do something with that for a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'll take Dusty's WWF theme as the best 'American' song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwZHN2p5DI

If you are black or white redneck funky that's alright

holla

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wrestling doesn't have fake journalists, guys. They're scripted.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Watch The Undertaker's WrestleMania matches from 25, 26, 27 and 28. They are all on Netflix Instant right now with 'Undertaker: The Streak'.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

This is a pretty dumb question, but did Paul Bearer always say "ohh yesss"? I only ask because for the life of me I do not remember him ever saying this and everything I know about the guy is from the mid 90's. A few of my friends brought it up and I do not recall him saying it at all, which means he started doing it later once I stopped watching or I'm just retarded (which I'm leaning more towards).

Regardless I will always love the man.

I think it was something he would yell at ringside during matches for a long time, like when Undertaker was in full control, but not very much during promos.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are you sure he didn't do it much in promos? I remember it almost being his catchphrase.

Not sure at all. I was thinking that could have possibly been the case considering how underrated Bearer's acting at ringside was. He wasn't hyperactive but he was extremely emotive and into it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The replacement for vinceflex should be that picture of Triple H eating a PB&J. I don't care that it doesn't make sense.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think the pauses in promos may have started because of Harley Race and his calm intensity. But his pauses meant something and weren't inserted nonsensically to disrupt flow and automatically make whatever he was saying a bit worse.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

That's funny because he's a guy I'd single out as not doing that, and as the complete opposite of the WWE promo style. He finished complete sentences and left a brief pause for gravitas.

If you take a look at "that promo" everyone always cites, it's about 50/50. It is just one promo though, so I guess I'll take your word for it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Monkey Man posted:

Has the WWE been to Denver since the whole Nuggets incident? I can imagine Vince being petty enough to stay away from there on purpose.

They ran a show there in July. Same arena, but it was a make-up SuperShow because they had cancelled SmackDown elsewhere. I'm not sure if they were originally scheduled to do a show at the Pepsi Center at all before that but it was probably meant to be just a RAW.

Edit: Beaten because I am slow as heck.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Big Show and Khali both tripped over that bag and someone made up the story to go with it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

paint dry posted:

Are you saying you see something wrong with a cartoon about Vince McMahon's rear end?

Only legally. That cartoon would still be running for the next 15 years otherwise.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Okay since he never comes up, was there a spot where Hercules and Ultimate Warrior played tug-of-war with Hercs chain and the chain broke? Or was this one of those playground lies I made up and told when I was a kid.

If that didn't happen we should revise history and say that it did.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

e: misread a post.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

Ah, got 'cha, just another one of those wrestling rumors I heard a long time ago and decided to finally fact-check it.

I heard once or twice on "make stuff up" websites that he and his wife (at the time) wanted a change from the Ministry thing because 'Taker had become a bit too into occult books and whatnot in his real life. Once in a while those things turn out to be half-right but I'm not sure.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

I was watching some of the Heath Slater jobber stuff on the buildup to Raw 1000 and it blows my mind the reaction that Vader got yet he wasn't brought in for a full-time gig, even just to put Cena over.

They did well with it but I still thought it was easy to see Vader can barely move. He had immense trouble getting up the ring steps. Any time he had to get back up looked very awkward too, like his knees don't work anymore whatsoever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dudes have always done that, from kneedrops to most of the time Hogan ever dropped the leg to John Cena today. It was never meant to be observed as an obvious thing until The Rock did it. It isn't really talked about and there's not even a made-up reason that it is supposed to make sense. Good times.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

How much physical training do managers generally get, compared to wrestlers? They're not doing a lot of fighting but it's still taken as a given that you'll eventually be thrown out of the ring or bodyslammed or otherwise taking bumps.

Generally managers were always fully trained wrestlers who had more ability talking than working, whether they had become too old or they were never good at it in the first place. I'm talking about the oldschool manager role of kayfabe handling matchmaking and contracts as well as doing the talking for their clients.

I'm pretty sure the handful of people who want to come up as managers still go through the same stuff.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Holly mini-push was probably at least partially a thank you for all his years of service in doing what he was told and so on.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

Two questions:

1. It's been a few months, but I was watching the Raw 20th Anniversary DVD, specifically, the show that features the 1-2-3 Kid upset against Ramon, and Jannetty coming back to beat Michaels for the IC Title. Anyways, that Raw still had ring girls, but one of them was an older, bigger woman? What was the deal with that?

2. What is Emma's gimmick? I don't watch NXT, and I have only caught a few episodes of Raw here and there recently, so I don't understand what's going on other than she's bad dancer but people love her?

1. A bad joke that they used a lot for some reason.

2. A bad joke that they use a lot for some reason.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Please stop it. It's NOT a big deal. I just need to find Dean Ambrose's high school right now or else.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

So far we've seen 'B-List', 'C-List' and even 'D-List' but David Arquette was firmly a P-list celebrity at the height of his fame. Just wanted to clear that up. G'job all.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

For Angle's in-ring debut, Fink had to say he was the only real athlete to ever grace a WWF ring (or something along those lines) so it seemed like he was supposed to annoy people. Or maybe they were just really dumb in trying to sell him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

What if it was called "randy's knock out", possessive, a maneuver he can do which is capable of knocking someone out. If that were the case would most people here be:

a. more incredulous
b. less incredulous
c. weirdly extra defensive about how they think not enough people come out and say that women can be bad wrestlers too, pretty often

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Don't feel bad about that "pregnant" misunderstanding. Sasha thought they were calling her rat poo poo for a while

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

A powerful headline on RealDirtSheetz.org

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Don't worry folks. No one around here is any good but Steph will get her comeuppance from somebody who immediately leaves afterward, to make money for themselves and/or a company competing for a small portion of the same audience. That's right, I'm talking about Roller Derby star Roly Mary Mother of Quad.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Don't decide who Chris Benoit was for yourself, but instead decide who other famous dead murderers were, in the order of their death

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I want to post something to 'counter' this but I just can't think of anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpsllu5jgw

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Noctis Caelum

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i dont know about you buddies. but to me, the song about assholes, says "eyes" during that line. and if you're not down with that im going to get outta here pronto due to fear of confrontation.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i can tell you he used to be a saint, due to the fact that one time i sawr a nice video

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you want to know what happens at wwe battleground then you better stop reading now. i mean you should read it, not stoip. Roman Reins will spear Seth Rollins but Seth will hit him with some kind of Gun's Bullet during it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

IF you told me wcw came back in 2008 after vince sold it to mark cuban and it became successful again. i'd say... prove it you mother fucker

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think Holly's story is Dupree denied everything 100% and wouldn't apologize which set him off. Holly also claims he was supposed to be the big heel in the Trump vs McMahon angle

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Hello folks, is there a promo that will help me "get" Lance Storm?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You either despise star ratings or you worship them. Where do i stand? i'll say this: "Dave" (real name David) Meltzer's Gimmick smells like a 5 star turd from the human bung

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

never thought of it like that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It does kind of sound like Vince at that age but i've seen people claim it wasn't him too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVuwnOJ9Oro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Actually you're mad. No, not you. You.