Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, that. Not saying Hardy should hate Edge, but Edge did get the push of his life from an angle based off of a real-life indiscretion between the two, which also ended up with Hardy getting fired. Knowing Hardy, you'd think he'd be keeping a firing range on his property where he just shoots at cardboard cutouts of Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Oh no, I agree 100%. I'm just saying that Matt is such a petty self-mark that I'm amazed he didn't take the angle more personally.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

A bunch of WWE guys referred to him as Uce in remembrance in their Twitters yesterday. I guess it was his nickname, but I don't know the origin.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Justice Grieves posted:

According to WWE Kids Magazine, Randy Orton is the year's "Biggest Buttbrain!"

Agree or disagree? Me, I feel that it was Mark Henry rapping or guest host Verne Troyer. What a buttbrain!

Yeah, it should totally be one of two things that happened six days ago. How could a monthly magazine for children overlook that?!?!?!?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

AKA Driver posted:

Plus, The Miz for a time had the Mizfits.

I've seen him use "Miztakes" but I think that's what he calls his "haters".

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The Royal Rumble where Shannon was desperately trying to keep Matt from being eliminated was one of my favorites ever.

Who was it Shannon took under his own wing as his first Moore-on? I'm too lazy to look it up

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Strange posted:

3 pages late, but when did the V1 era end? Was there ever any dirtsheet rumours or anything on why it did? Is it just Matt Hardy's desperate desire to be a serious, bitter, angry character and not a silly wrestler? Has there ever been an attempt at V2? I miss enjoyable Matt Hardy

Edit: Also "clicka-clicka-click ... click-click ..." was the best pre-intro intro ever.

He didn't bring back the V1 gimmick but he continues to do the hand symbol. Ever since the Hardys got back together Jeff would do his gun symbol with one hand and the V1 with the other.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Tag teams allying together? Survivor Series isn't for another 11 months, dude.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

That was Alex Karras punching a horse. I refuse to accept that joke :colbert:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

At least they got him and not Don West.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Happened last year and it was near his hometown.

Ron Simmons.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Can somebody recommend great matches that don't hit the 10 minute mark? Looking for short matches like Big Show vs Brock Lesnar or the Angle/Orton/Rey triple threat at Wrestlemania 22.

Big Show vs. CM Punk vs. Chavo Guerrero vs. Tommy Dreamer vs. John Morrison, Singapore Cane Match.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

dusty udder smoker posted:

thats another thing: what are some notable tag teams that never held the tag titles in WWE/WCW?

Jesse and Festus and Moore Wang both seriously deserved title runs but this was happening when Miz and Morrison were running roughshod on the Smackdown tag division.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

also Team 3D weren't the only Dudleys so there's that.

Spike was in TNA as a member of 3-D for a while under the name "Brother Runt".

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Hockles posted:

The sound clip "How do you learn to fall from a 20ft ladder" from the old "Don't try this at home" PSA, was from this show.

I can't read that sentence without being able to perfectly hear JR saying that in my head. That's what buying a ton of WWE DVDs in the course of three months will do to your head.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

AKA Driver posted:

Well, let's ask the man himself (it's pretty much the Jerry Lee Lewis thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdABlGoar9g

Bonus JBL smoking a cigar and drinking a beer for really no apparent reason.

King and Goldust had the best WOOs, but Storm's and JR's were hilarious.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

To Holly's (and WWE's) credit, as silly as it was to have him compete with Lesnar for the WWE title, 13-year-old me took him pretty seriously and thought he made a pretty credible run at the title.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

dusty udder smoker posted:

........jesus you make me feel old.

To be totally fair, I turned 14 a month later.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

He was really short so you can't see him.

In before someone makes a really lovely Cena joke in response to this.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Nathan Jones was pretty heavily hyped before he came in. But that turned out to be all for naught.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jericho has a pretty longstanding kayfabe history with either one of them, but it was really just entertaining the fans. Jericho has been a relentless prick for the better part of a year and a half now and he finally had his comeuppance.

I highly doubt there's been any legit heat on the guy, he's one of the company's top heels and he and Big Show just ended a really long tag title reign less than a month ago.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jericho's idolized HBK from day one and they've been magical in the ring together with nobody looking any worse. Watch Jericho's match against HBK at WMXIX (of which both of them spoke VERY highly on HBK's DVD) and both of their PPV matches together from 2008. Jericho made himself an eternal heat magnet from that feud and made himself a credible world champion in the process. poo poo, if you look at how the title factored into that feud, it's incredible to see that Jericho almost treated Michaels like a minor annoyance while he was otherwise trying to fight off Punk, Batista, and Cena.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

My question is about entrance music. How many current WWE superstars still have their original music? I'm not including tag teams in this, so all I can think of is Jericho and CM Punk.

Jeff Hardy kept the Hardy Boyz theme as his singles theme until mid-2008 or so. Matt's had the Monster Magnet theme pretty much since the Hardys split up the first time, or at least the Mattitude V1 days.

And if we're gonna discount Undertaker, we may have to discount Jericho too. He changed his theme to a Saliva song for a short amount of time before changing it back.

Um, Hornswoggle still has his original music, and if we do include tag teams, DX pretty much goes back further than anyone besides HBK himself.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Iskanderson posted:

Matt Hardy's had "I WILL SLAM A TORNADO" for a long time too, hasn't he?

Like I said, at latest since the V1 days, so at least seven years running now. Wikipedia says his only themes he's used were that and the Hardys theme, so sometime after they initially split up has he been using that as his singles theme.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Well this just makes no sense. Why would Jericho switch to a move that is easier to counter? Doesn't he want to win?!

Mark :chord:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

At least tell me Booker said what he should've said after that.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Do you want me to tell you that he said tell me he didn't just say that?

What?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Also it's probably for the best that Foley didn't go out vs. Undertaker. Undertaker's matches in 99 were pretty bad, and they were REALLY BAD after he got back until late 2002-ish.

Consensus is that Undertaker was officially "back" around the Jeff Hardy ladder match and the Brock Lesnar program, yes?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Kenny Dykstra is literally the worst WWE gimmick name I've ever heard, which is saying something.

Including Bam Neely? This guy got his name MONTHS after Dykstra and they gave him ANOTHER one-letter-off sports name and it was for a much bigger hockey star than Dykstra is a baseball star.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

...and take the plane into a NOSEDIVE... Randy Or Ton.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

I guess if you throw Big Show in there he'd be a favorite, but I imagine Kozlov would be able to neutralize his size.

I'd favor Big Show overall. People seem to doubt the fact that he has a simple punch to the face as a finisher, but keep in mind just how big this motherfucker really is.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, I guess if you were to look for favorites you'd look to guys with amateur backgrounds like Swagger and Benjamin. poo poo, even before he started his MMA training I bet Brock Lesnar would have destroyed everyone if they held a Brawl for All in like 2003.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

In that case my money's on the grilled cheese sandwich.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

One part of ring psychology that hasn't been brought up is how the wrestlers sell the match itself. A few examples from last year:

- The look on Undertaker's face at WM25 after HBK kicked out of the first Tombstone. The master of mind games after 20 years had finally been broken down and with one incredulous look he showed that he realized he wasn't unbeatable.

- CM Punk Hulking up to beat William Regal for the IC title last year. Nothing original by any means, but by the time Punk made it to the top turnbuckle near the end of the match and let out a primal scream that sold pretty much the entire angle to me: He had tried time and time again to beat Regal only to lose by dubious means, but this time there was no way out for Regal and Punk was in his hometown, which was absolutely electric for him. He let a surge of adrenaline take him over without actually no-selling Regal's offense, carried out a GTS while Regal kept elbowing him in the temple, THEN sold all the offense he took once he actually won the match.

- Randy Orton's strategy during his Iron Man match with John Cena. Cena got Orton in the STFU early on in the match and Orton tapped immediately so that Cena could get an easy fall without Orton having to suffer nearly any damage at all. Orton then more or less pounded the piss out of Cena for 20 minutes straight until he got cocky and gave Cena time to recover, gain an upperhand and tie up the score. With about a minute left Orton started freaking out because he realized he wasn't in a position to put Cena away anymore and you could see Orton starting to panic:

Even though it looked like he was beatboxing. The fact that he tapped out with two seconds left in regulation kind of ruined an otherwise great match, but I still think it told a pretty great story.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Frankensteiner throws the opponent off the top turnbuckle from a handstand position, Hurricanrana involves jumping onto the opponent's shoulders and taking them down.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

BlueArmyMan posted:

I figured that had more to do with Michaels kicking out of a chokeslam, then a Last Ride, THEN the Tombstone, which few people ever kick out of. It looked to me more like a "What the hell does it take to put this guy away?" face, but that doesn't make it any less awesome :)

Well, that goes without saying. That's how everyone reads into it, and for good reason, but on top of that I see it as Undertaker finally showing that he has a human side and that he can wrestle with an emotion other than "I am going to murder you and any offense you get in on me will be taken as an insult".

Jerusalem posted:

Similar to this, in the lead up to the match, HBK constantly got away from any comeuppance from Undertaker and looked to be having the time of his life, repeatedly pointing out that he wasn't scared of Taker and was merely amused by Taker's attempts to "mindgame" him. Then, after all the running and laughing and escaping, they finally have their match and almost immediately HBK is running about having fun and....

Boom! Playtime's over, Shawn.

And the fact that Shawn responded with equal levels of seriousness that almost managed to break Taker down makes it all the more brilliant.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 18, 2010

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Minidust posted:

As Orton was struggling to get out of the final STF, Cena turned it around so that Orton was facing AWAY from the Titantron once the move was clinched in. Orton could no longer see how much time was left, and he tapped. Not sure if that was intentional, but it added a neat touch of psychology to that finish.

If that's the case, then it would've been brilliant had the announcers actually sold that fact.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

The age of drawing is long, long over so it's really hard to tell with anyone anymore, but he's headlined plenty of PPVs as both face and heel (including WMXIX), sold a shitload of merch, and was on the cover (by himself!) of the only Smackdown game to have a non-Rock catchphrase as the title.

By all accounts, yes, he appears to have been a draw in WWE. He sure as poo poo is one for UFC now.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

This is really just true for attendance, where people are paying to go to the WWE wrestling specatular at the local arena. It does matter when it comes to merch sales, PPV, and ratings.

That was more my point, that it's really hard to say any one person can draw an arena when people are going to a RAW show for Cena, HHH, HBK and Orton or a Smackdown show for Undertaker, Mysterio, Morrison, and Jericho. People pretty much go to WWE shows because they're WWE shows now.

By the remaining criteria, however, I'd say Lesnar was definitely a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jobber to the stars.