Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Batmanuel posted:

:nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzXdewxB4M

I think that is what you're talking about.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS2_aZldH9c <--could be it.

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chunky Delight posted:

So how much do those guys make for mutilating their bodies for such small audiences ?

a diluted joint and some Faygo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

Kayfabe wise, which Diva has the worst taste in men?

Maria is pretty bad: Carlito, Santino, Ziggler... all these dudes who treat her pretty badly.

Kelly Kelly isn't terrific either: Miz, Balls Mahoney, Knox...

Chyna/Stephanie McMahon/Sable tie for the top spot

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The best part is that the NorVa is a small concert hall that is probably less suitable for wrestling than a high school gym.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

freeranger posted:

Can someone explain a WCW moment to me.

Halloween Havoc, not sure what year, Hogan vs Sting(c). Firstly Hogan is meant to come out first, doesn't, then they announce Sting and he comes out, so they then have to once again announce Hogan, and finally he comes out, but not in his ring gear.

Hogan gets into the ring, has words with Sting and the ref, then lays down, and let's Sting pin him. Crowd boo's the hell out of it.

What the hell was that all about? Typical hogan BS? Typical WCW?

I think Russo wouldn't Hogan to lose clean to Sting so Hogan did what Hogan does.

I've also heard that Russo wanted to start off with a worked shoot to be cool, so who knows.

Hogan + Russo = what happened

that's all I know for sure

e:f,b

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Axissillian posted:

I would decry Married with Children as being juvenile sexist garbage meant to appeal to the sense of humor and intellect of the lowest common denominator of American Society but then I realized this is a forum discussing Pro Wrestling

So what you're saying is basically that it's incredibly funny and for a comedy, that's completely unacceptable.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe he got botox.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Undertaker could leave, join Oprah's book club, be the sidekick to Carson Daly on Last Call and marry Rachael Ray and he'd STILL be welcomed back with open arms.

Based on backstage accounts and all, is there anyone more universally loved in the business than Mark Calloway?

Does anybody hate the guy?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

quote:

Quote #36

"The big finish was totally screwed up. The idea was that Jarrett and Page were to climb the scaffolding. Arquette would climb the scaffolding, hit Jarrett with the guitar, who would take the bump through the gimmicked part of the stage that they would fall through. When leaving the ring, by accident, Asya stepped on the set and fell through, so everyone could see that it was gimmicked. Arquette than ran out and apparently wasn't given directions as to what to avoid, and fell into the gimmicked part of the stage. So Jarrett and Page improvised up there with Page deciding to save the show and take the bump into what was already evident as the gimmicked hole in the stage. No idea at press time how this will be edited" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 08, 2000.

did this ever air? It's gotta be in a Botchamania somewhere.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Justice Grieves posted:

He was "The Narcissist" but atleast he wasn't on roids

:ughh:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would say the list of people needing to be in includes (in no particular order)...

Bruno Sammartino
The Road Warriors
Demolition
Larry Zbyzsko
Randy Savage
Ted DiBiase
Jake Roberts
Rick Rude
Trish Stratus
Sting
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard
Barry Windham
J.J. Dillon
Alundra Blayze/Madusa/Who Cares because she's got less of a chance than Macho & Warrior combined
British Bulldogs
Rock & Roll Express
Midnight Express
Stu Hart

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would say Steve Lombardi is deserving.

I also forgot to mention Diamond Dallas Page on my previous list.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Steamboat/Flair happened in 1994 at Spring Stampede and got at least 4 stars.

Is that the double pin match?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Between Ryder, Miz, Morrison, Ziggler, Swagger, Kofi, Bourne, McIntyre, Yoshi, JTG, Tyson Kidd, Cody and DiBiase, I finally feel confident about the future of the WWE for the first time in about 8 years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

Provided the current main event scene retires within the next eight years.

Very true.

I just think there's a wealth of young talent for the first time in forever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Can we once and for all get a consensus definition of X-Pac Heat? I was browsing around some awful forum earlier and someone said that Vickie had X-Pac Heat.

See: What fans do when Shelton Benjamin comes out

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TL posted:

Can we take it easy on the X-Pac heat discussion? It seems to pop up every couple weeks and just leads to big protracted arguments.

Also, can we agree that "X-Pac" is one of the stupidest wrestling names ever?

Any name ever given to Sean Waltman is one of the stupidest wrestling names ever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shitty_Wok posted:

Also, what is the appeal of having a PPV themed around a particular type of match? Just a change of pace or what?

Buyrates are down and the matches the themed events are based around are generally a good draw. Problem is that doing them in moderation is what draws.

Breaking Point and Hell In A Cell are the two worst PPVs to this point in 2009.

Luckily, I don't see any way that Breaking Point sucks, so it's about to tick upward a little bit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AlbertFlasher posted:

I wonder what it smells like...

Edge's shirts

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oldpainless posted:

At least two.

Three once they sign Awesome Kong

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Matt Cruea posted:

Agreed. Orndorff was probably my favorite character of the 80s, and his turn from face to heel to face again was awesome. He was a pretty good wrestler, too. It was Pretty Wonderful to see him go from main eventing Wrestlemania to jobbing on WCW Saturday Night. I was really happy to see him get into the Hall of Fame awhile back and liked when 24/7 did a month focusing on him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a person in the entire history of the sport that's more widely respected than The Undertaker?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

Everything I know about Owen Hart points to him being far and away the nicest and least sleazy person in the history of professional wrestling.

Seconding this. Reading stuff about Owen makes me question how the hell he even got into this stuff in the first place. Then I remember "HART HART HART"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mongo hosed Debra for several years.

Jarrett looked like an early 90's female soap opera star.

Mongo wins.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

This sounds nothing like Lance. Where'd you hear it?

I've read this same thing but I can't recall where for the life of me. It may have been in that Stampede Wrestling book but I really don't remember.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dusty udder smoker posted:

http://www.stormwrestling.com/030308.html

straight from the horses mouth.

This isn't where I read it, but I'm fairly certain after reading this that it was mentioned in the Stampede Wrestling book.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lance Storm took wrestling too seriously. He was an amazing technician, but at some point, you've gotta have fun with it. He just seemed very business oriented 100000% of the time and you're never going to draw interest like that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Edge has 20/20 vision

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This might be a dumb question, but did The Undertaker and The Rock ever have a really big one-on-one match?

I can't recall one but I feel like it had to have happened at some point. I know there was a triple threat with them and Angle (I think), but I was just wondering if they ever had a heavily hyped one-on-one.

The only reason I bring this up is that Rock said something about being open to working with the WWE and a short program between the two of them would be a huge money match for Wrestlemania or something.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

My favorite Goldberg story has Raven trying to teach Goldberg how to sell. Goldberg is unresponsive, and Goldberg tells Raven he wont sell because "he wouldn't sell in a real fight". Raven gives up trying to teach Goldberg to sell.

Goldberg's not a bad person, he's just a huge mark for himself.

I think he just really didn't understand. I'm not sure he was a huge mark for himself as much as he just embellished the idea of what his character was intended to be in his mind.

Just from the stuff I read, it's like he was told by management that he's going to be this unstoppable beast and he said "well, if I'm supposed to be an unstoppable beast, how the gently caress could you stop me."

The only time I've read about Goldberg really coming across like a huge dickhead was in Jericho's book.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oldpainless posted:

OK, I was wrong apparently about WWE losing money when their game is a sponsor of a PPV. The publisher ponies up the cash. But then there's something I'm still fuzzy on. Doesn't it seem counterproductive to advertise to an audience that is probably already theirs? The people buying have already seen the commercials and probably bought the game already or have decided not to. Doesn't it seem wasteful to spend more money to sponsor the PPV?

Maybe someone can explain it to me because I must be missing an obvious point or something. Does anyone know why it's a smart move finacially to do this?

Well, the sponsor is mentioned in all of the ads on other channels/programs leading up to the PPV, right?

So attaching it to those ads for the PPV is even more lucrative and will reach people that might not watch Raw or the PPV.

Honestly though, it's just an attempt to continuously remind children of the game so they continuously bug the poo poo out of their parents to buy them the game for Christmas.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Title changes that happened on Raw or Smackdown due to injury shouldn't really count IMO.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Why not?

Because it obviously wasn't meant to happen.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zanael posted:

Coffey's post in the TNA thread about TNA announcing the coming of Hogan too soon made me wonder : how much time before the Nitro where Shane showed in did they announce WCW was bought by WWF ?
Basically, was it a huge surprise or did it take weeks to materialize on TV ?

January 11

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

I am going to Royal Rumble in Atlanta this year. I want to start some poo poo rumors while standing in line to get in about who mystery entrants are in the rumble. Any suggestions?

Umaga

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Current:
Batista
John Cena
Edge
Chris Jericho (debatable, but I think he really stepped up to be a main event player)
Randy Orton

No longer wrestling:
JBL
Eddie Guererro
King Booker (lol)

Borderline main eventers:
Jeff Hardy
CM Punk
Rey Jr
Khali?
Sheamus?

Hardy is a main eventer. Khali shouldn't even be in the discussion. Kofi should be borderline at this point. I'd say Christian is borderline at this point too, unless you wanna count him out because he's on ECW.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That would be his previous gimmick - Butt Plugg.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Terrible idea.

It could work if done properly.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It wasn't the best wrestled match of the year but it's the most memorable and easily the biggest looking back.

Some choices are based on historical significance more than anything else.

I don't necessarily disagree with the HITC choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought WWE paid for plane tickets for distances that weren't realistically drivable (i.e. most PPVs)