Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Why are CZW/IWA MS/etc allowed to keep doing what they do? I mean, I know there is no sanctioning board for the business, but I mean, this has to be reckless endangerment or something.

The government is leery of regulating things done between consenting adults (that aren't sodomy.) So it's very hard to make an assault case, for example, with no complaining witness. If they want to whack each other with light tubes, they're free to do it as long as they're all consenting to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

CM Junk posted:

Which led to Taker eating the best spinebuster of the past decade courtesy of Arn Anderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLCK-hoahI

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

The stadium is still there. The city is actually trying to sell it at auction.

Yeah, and the auction site is going with the 93,173 number.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I've been thinking about selling. Is it a good thing if a wrestler can sell really well? Sure, it makes them a better wrestler and gives us a better show, but does it make it more likely that the awesome seller will lose more and not go up the card?

For example, Cena is terrible at selling, and rarely loses. Batista isn't very good at selling and is a main eventer. I wouldn't know whether to classify Undertaker as a good seller but I want to so let's say he's an exception to the rule (even though he doesn't sell all that much).

People who are excellent at selling: Mick Foley, who lost pretty much all the time (well, since I've been watching from 2002). Evan Bourne, he mainly gets beaten by monsters. Jamie Noble, poor Jamie Noble.

And is there a relationship between size and selling? If you're bigger can you not sell as much, or even need to? Anyway I've said sell far too much and it's not even a word to me any more.

Selling is important for all wrestlers of all sizes, because without it your opponent looks weak; also, without selling it becomes immediately evident that you're not actually striking in a real manner. When HHH punches Cena and Cena just stands there as though nothing happened, HHH looks like a moron—first because he clearly didn't hit him hard enough, and second because people would suddenly notice exactly how HHH didn't knock Cena's block off.

Selling can also be used to make someone look more powerful for some reason. For example, let's imagine a match between Mark Henry and Rey Mysterio. Mark, at some point during the match, pulls Rey's mask off, and Rey freaks out and does himself up like a shirt ninja. Rey "goes nuts," and Mark suddenly began selling attacks from Rey like death. What is the story? If you make Rey fear for his identity, you will unleash within him a power previously unknown.

Selling is essential to all theatrical combat. Without it, they're just a bunch of guys pretending to hit each other really hard.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Perry posted:

Is that Shawn Michaels?

Does this mean there are, if I'm reading this correct, 2 or 3 identical RAWs per week of which only one is filmed? Or are the house shows not billed as RAW shows?

Considering this was after the Benoit case, who is she talking about? Mark Henry?

I know the Undertaker does a piledriver, who is the second guy? Are there any other moves considered "banned" because they're too dangerous? Is the shooting star press from the top rope banned?

Yes; no—the house shows are not identical, they tend to showcase some random matches, some test matches (things we might see later on TV, but need tuning), and some cool poo poo for the fans (title changes, etc.,) they are billed as RAW Live Events; Big Daddy Five; Lawler does one, and Kane does the Tombstone too, nope—Bourne does one.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Perry posted:

Thank you all. I had this thing in my head where a super heavyweight - I wanna say Brock Lesnar - launched an SSP half a rotation short and landed on his neck, ending his career, but I just googled Lesnar and he's in MMA at the moment so he's still able to use his legs. Who was I thinking of (and erroneously thinking that this made the move a banned move) then?

Lesnar did gently caress up an SSP once, but he's fine. Just concussed.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Unless you consider that concussion damage can be permanent, and the leading cause of major surgery for wrestlers is sustained damage to the neck, rivaled only by their knees. I wouldn't be surprised if this incident and the work schedule contributed greatly to Brock's decision to leave WWE.

After the WM 19 match in which this happened he was legitimately hosed up and really didn't know where he was or what he was doing. That isn't "dazed."

(Lesnar's current physical ailments have nothing to do with wrestling).

Yeah, I mean, he certainly wasn't in good shape—I recall him saying that he had no idea that he finished the match or anything, just a gap from the SSP to being looked at in the back or something like that.

However, he's not paralyzed, brain-dead, or anything catastrophic.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Look excited and look like you're about to ring the bell for every nearfall.

Also keep the time in time-limit matches. Or any match where they put in "rounds" for some reason.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Timby posted:

Played for the Falcons and ripped up his knee, right?

I thought I read that he ripped up his abs.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

oldpainless posted:

You know what has always annoyed the poo poo out of me for six years now? How the effectiveness of someone in the ring changes so widely in such a short amount of time.

This is what annoys me:
In the middle of 2002, Hollywood Hogan wrestled the Undertaker for the title. It doesn't matter who won, all that matters is both men were portrayed as strong and able to match up against each other. It wasn't some one-sided massacre.

Later, Vince Mcmahon and Hulk Hogan feud and have a match at WM 19. This is approximately 10 months or so after Hogan and Undertaker fought. In this match, Vince is portrayed as equal to Hogan. He is in control of the match for most of it and is able to overpower Hogan on several occasions during the match.

Even later, Mcmahon and Undertaker feud at SS 03. This is approximately 6 months after WM 19 and 18 months after Hogan and Taker fought. But in this match, Vince is totally unable to stand against Taker. Taker massacres Vince and beats his rear end the whole match. The first punch busts Vince open and he bleeds all over the place. Vince has no chance against Taker

So how the gently caress does the relationship between these three men make any sense? Taker and Hogan are equal, Vince and Hogan are equal, but Taker is miles ahead of Vince??? I know wrestling is fake and I shouldn't get annoyed but this has bothered the piss outta me for a while. And now I'm done

This sort of lack of internal logic is both endemic to wrestling, and annoying primarily to smarks.

Yes, to an extent looking at it like that is taking it too seriously, but on the other hand, there needs to be some kind of internal continuity.

Perhaps 'Taker is the true holder of Vince's soul?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

As long as Steiner can be free to call himself the "Big Bad Booty Daddy" I can't see why anyone would care.

I think Steiner would do it regardless. He doesn't seem the type to care too much about the contract's language.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Captain Strange posted:

Creative quoting for truth. :smugdog:

I will accept this.

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

The only thing Steiner cares about are his freaks and his peaks.

Exactly.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

AKA Driver posted:

Well, let's ask the man himself (it's pretty much the Jerry Lee Lewis thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdABlGoar9g

Bonus JBL smoking a cigar and drinking a beer for really no apparent reason.

That is a wonderful video. I especially like JBL's "I've always wanted to do that" line. And just seeing how many people they get to do it. And Al Snow's face at the end is priceless.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
So, we talk periodically about match styles, the one that comes to mind being "Face in Peril". There's also obviously the "Squash" match. There have to be other styles, and since there are, are any others named like that, grouped in any way, or are they just sort of a more generic group of "face wins clean", "heel wins clean", "heel wins dirty", etc.?

If you're feeling extra-helpful this holiday season, and you felt like listing some styles with match videos to illustrate, I'd be grateful.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Well, it sounds more like you are asking about match structure rather than style. Pretty much any match with a standard structure is going to have a "face in peril" since that will be the heat segment where the heel takes control of the match and works over the face. Realistically, every match outside a squash will use the same structure: Shine - Heat - Comeback - Finish. Longer matches will see a minor shine, minor heat, shine, heat etc.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm trying to build a sense, in my head, of how these various segments are put together, because as a stage combat director, that sort of thing is what I need to be able to put together more; as much as it is intuitive to an extent, wanting to draw the crowd in and show the struggle of two equal/unequal combatants, I guess what I'm looking for is a little more of a breakdown of exactly how the pros tend to put it together.

quote:

There are many styles, "King's Road" (The All Japan Style, pretty much dead today replaced by the NOAH Main Event Style of lots of head drops) "Strong Style" (Popularized by 1990s All Japan) "Main Event Style" (The WWE style of the Attitude era through today) "Memphis Style" (Used in Memphis in Lawler's hey day, lots of blood, brawling, heel antics and gently caress finishes to get the crowd back the next week.) and many others that you see like shoot style, lucha variants, European style etc.

For the not WWE-style ones, does anyone feel like finding a particularly good example?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
Cool. Thanks guys.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

ColeM posted:

How did Hardcore Bob Holly have the career that he did?

He was willing to job, he looked decent doing it, he wasn't a bad wrestler by any means, just not particularly charismatic—he was solid and reliable and only sometimes was a total rear end in a top hat.

Also probably didn't get paid too much either.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

How do you work the indy-favorite: The Double Stomp? Even if you pull it, you're still jumping on a dude with both feet.

I have yet to figure that one out myself.

Free Market Gravy posted:

I think the issue with a spot like that is that it's hard to make it visually clear that it was a DDT counter and not just a spear that knocked the attacker out for some reason.

The only way to alleviate that is to slow the whole sequence down, but a slowed-down spear would look silly.

You could do it quite easily in a match with a big guy vs. a smaller guy. The smaller guy does the spear, but fails to knock the big guy down. Big guy applies front facelock, clubs the small guy in the back, and DDTs.

Otherwise, nothin'.

And thanks, Tyma. I got a video of some match between them, and although it's edited, I see what you mean.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Burrito posted:

Could always have the guy doing the spear flip over like when Taker DDTs Big Show.

Also true, though again it's hard to make it look like more than a REALLY POWERFUL SPEAR~!

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

One of the most better later examples of Kings Road: Misawa vs Kobashi from January of 1997: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FNCKVD6

The second announcer in this one sounds like Japanese André the Giant.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

dusty udder smoker posted:

it was the last match baba watched iirc

Nope. This was in 1997, evidently, and the last one he watched was 2 years later.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Tong Quixote posted:

For those of you who live in parts of the world where TV tapings happen (most of you, I guess), how does WWE distinguish between the end of a TV taping and its post-TV taping stuff? I'm guessing it's as simple as the ring announcer saying "This is the end of our televised entertainment, but stay where you are for..." or something like that?

The taping I was at, they finished the televised main event, and HHH did a promo as they went off the air about being the best or something like that. He moved into DX shtick and said the "for the millions watching at home..." line, and then looked at the ring guys, and said, "Wait, are we off the air? We're off the air. Okay, well, for the thousands in attendance, let's get ready to..." etc.

He finished up and the other guys came out for the dark main event, which in my case was Cena/HHH/HBK vs. JBL/Orton/Umaga. They began to fight/staredown in the ring, and the cage came down.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

TL posted:

Which, considering Cena's neck, is frightening.

Also, watching SmackDown I just saw him bust it out on JTG, who is neither small nor flippy.

So the answer is more of a "He busts it out utilizes it under specific circumstances with specific guys, who he's probably practiced it with and agreed to it beforehand."

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

maniacripper posted:

What's the over/under for edge returning in the Royal Rumble tonight?

100%.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Is Colt Cabana any good? I've never seen ROH but Ive read DVD reviews and all he ever seems to be in is these comedy matches. I know WWE had him for awhile but let him go and he went back to the indies. So did they let him go because they already had Santino going around filling the comedy wrestler role and when they asked him what else he could do he just sat there and went "..." or what?

Could he have been a serious wrestler in WWE? Because comedy wrestling is good, but if its all you can do then you are really gonna have your hands tied trying to move up.

From what I've seen of his stuff on youtube/etc., he's not incapable of having a serious match, but he seems to work comedy matches much, much better. He moves well and has decent psychology. He looks physically threatening, at least against people roughly his size. Yet, he just loves doing the flying rear end in a top hat and being silly—and that's okay by me.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Perhaps a Jeff Jarrett buddy? I don't really know where Steiner stood in the political hierarchy.

Huh?

On a more serious note, though... I'd like to hope that someone finally got through to him about needing to take it easy and heal up some, take some bulk off... maybe get some recreational pogo stick time?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

So how do they work the no-blood policy with something like the Elimination Chamber, where everyone is stuck inside of a cage together and bleeding is pretty much inevitable?

Presumably, they will either avoid blood spots, and stop the match in the event of legit injuries.

Or, maybe because it's a PPV, they'll let the blood go, to build up the Brutal Satan's Playground aspect.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

You can't exactly glue up a busted nose.

There's something that cutmen in boxing/mma use, cotton swabs soaked in Adrenaline HCl; these stop nosebleeds pretty effectively in sports where facial trauma is intentional and essential—they would certainly work in wrestling, where any direct blow to the face is unintentional at best.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

IndustrialPope posted:

so what happened to the boogeyman? has he been doing anything since his release?

He's coming to get you.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

What is Paul Heyman doing these days?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
Lone Rogue—since you seem to be active in this thread right now, I want to ask you about BCW. I think you should be able to e-mail me through my profile.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

If Sheamus is too lazy to name his finishers, I am going to start naming them for him.

His signature backbreaker will now be known as the Ginger Snap.

I like it.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Scrawny?

No, scronny.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

Do you really want to use the word climax there?

Yes he does.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Who bastes eggs?

Cooking eggs with occasional splashes of grease is delicious.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
It's a joke, made based on the fact that the standard for WWE women seems to be "stick thin with minimal musculature," and so Natalya and Beth appear to be rather large by comparison.

I seriously doubt that anyone here actually believes that they are fat, and almost every comment I have ever seen made about them being "fat" is followed by an :rolleyes: or a :goonsay: or some other sarcasm-noting emoticon.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
A folding chair and a table, and if you're feeling naughty a stepladder. The TLC set, as it were.

To second the above, nice job on the old logo—I am nowhere near patient enough to carve wood.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

RentACop posted:

Also what is a "fall" is it just a pin?

The term comes from old catch wrestling and its predecessors, which were often contested not to a submission, but rather to a throw—the first man to put his opponent on the ground (i.e., to make him "fall" in a literal sense) would often win during these informal contests.

Later, the term was expanded in the more figurative sense—a city falls during a siege, a government falls when it is overthrown—to include submissions and non-literal-fall victories, as wrestling became more focused on not merely knocking your opponent down, but forcing him to give up/keeping him down.

So a "Fall" is a loss in wrestling; as others have said before me, a match can be contested to a set number of falls, whether one as standard today, two out of three as used to be more common; it can also be contested to a set length of time with no set number of falls needed for victory (the iron-man match, for example.)

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

There's an old picture of Triple H giving someone the Pedigree except the guy taking it is arched with his legs straight up, almost like a piledriver (I unfortunately couldn't find the picture). Anyone know what the story of that picture is? I've heard everything from that's how the Pedigree was originally done and changed for safety reasons to it was a jobber that didn't know how to take it and wound up spiking himself and loving up his neck.

On a related note, is Triple H supposed to come back at all or is he pretty much done at this point now that he has 2 kids and set for life?

The guy was a jobber. He thought the Pedigree was going to be a double-underhook pile driver or suplex. He jumped into it, trying to flip. Triple H didn't know that, and dropped him on his head. Evidently he wasn't even injured.

http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/tripleh_garner.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
The discussion about Cena (et. al.) no-selling moves that have been built to be death has got me thinking just now... what if Cena sold it with a Fighting Spirit sort of thing? He takes a finishing move, stands up, Attitude Adjustment, passes out, 10-count for both guys. Cena up at 8, other guy up at 9.

Would that be less offensive than the current status of "Hurr, your kick does not hurt me for I am super-Cena"? Would it be accepted by fans?