Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CombineThresher posted:

It's by no means a bad thing to know less about wrestling than the rest of us.

The IWC does need its jobbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Is it fair to call TNA a WCW-lite now?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Jerusalem posted:

The match is technically terrible, just like Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18.

Just like Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18, it doesn't matter one goddamn bit how technically terrible the match is. It makes me feel like a kid all over again watching it, two HUGE stars going toe to toe and the crowd going absolutely loving batshit over it.

Meanwhile Steamboat vs Savage from WM3 is fantastic in all regards.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Has Kane ever tapped out?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Dylar Addict posted:

I remember him tapping out to Benoit back in 04

Outside of that, were there any other instances?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Jerusalem posted:

I recall that being done with a Shawn Michaels stand-up.

This is now something I must see. I see your post has words in place of a gif, what the hell?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Carlton Banks posted:

I get to claim the WH2K record for worst Wrestlemania seat; I had 2nd to last row in the top deck at WM17. :smug:

well, unless someone here had a seat behind a pillar or in the bathroom or something

Was it even possible to see the ring/wrestlers from there?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
How many more Danielson matches are going to air before he actually debuts? I know DGUSA just had a PPV that he wrestled on, so I'm just assuming that WWE the E are waiting for these to be done before bringing him out.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Captain Charisma posted:

ECW was never going to succeed but it's amazing how they pretty much set it up to fail immediately.

You don't say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEwz4DCnLM

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This question is very general by design, as it has a wide array of answers and open discussion:

Besides WM 3 (including Hogan slamming Andre), what are some of the most important matches/storylines/promos/wrestlers/events/promotions/etc to come out of the 1980's?

My entire history on that time period is hazy at best. I was born in '87, so a lot of stuff happened before my time. I am familiar with quite a few wrestlers and goings on from back then, but...imagine that I'm not. :v:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CM Junk posted:

Wait. This whole time we've been hating on Cena's promos because he said "fart juice" in passing during a promo in 2006 when he wasn't even champion?

I hate SA so much sometimes. :ughh:

SA is poopy :colbert:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

sportsgenius86 posted:

Edge's shirts

And with that, Wrestlehut just came full circle. :golfclap:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Jetfire posted:

What were the WWF's ratings like around '97-98, around the time of the first D-X incarnation? I was watching youtubes of HBK's documentary and JR speculated that D-X v.2006 was probably as big as they were when they first appeared - which I suspect might be rubbish, but I guess that depends on how many people were watching when they were first hot - especially as it's around the time when the Monday Night Wars were finally turning around a bit for the WWF.

IIRC they were pulling 7-8's weekly.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What current WWE and TNA roster members are future WWE Hall of Famers?

HHH, HBK, The Undertaker, Jericho & John Cena are locks. Anyone besides them?

Jimmy Wang Yang, Funaki, Ricky Ortiz, Festus, Braden Walker, Matt Hardy.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Incendiary Pig posted:

I would probably do anything the Undertaker told me to do. That dude is scary as gently caress.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Atticus Finch posted:

Have they ever explained the kayfabe reason why wrestlers get certain music? Like "Hogan felt this music explained him perfectly" or something much better written.

Vance Archer has intense nu-metal music because he is intense. Ezekiel Jackson has music about domination because he dominates. Randy Orton is a psycho IED viper so he naturally hears voices. poo poo like that.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Supreme Allah posted:

Didnt Sensational Sherri sing the original?

She sang on the current version which is also the original.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CarlCX posted:

When you've been a veteran/legend for that long and you're still around, at a certain point, it becomes awful hard to make fans boo you.

Kane heat?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Grant DaNasty posted:

Something just occurred to me about Sheamus and his title shot. When was the last time there was a number one contender in a PPV main event that doesn't have a t-shirt or any merchandise?

Off the top of my head-Umaga?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

SiKboy posted:

To add; It has a sticker on it that says "Title". That implies to me that there is a SEPERATE bell for title and non-title matches. Title-match bell is holding Non-title-match bell down.

Title-match bell is the HHH/John Cena of ring bells. I knew it!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
A couple of questions:
-What lead up to the Horsemen breaking Dusty's arm and what was the aftermath? I can't really find anything saying why they were feuding and why they went that far.

-What broke the sex and steroids scandal in 1991-92 and what was the [obvious] importance of this whole deal? Was there an immediate shift in focus to smaller built guys away from the huge superhero types?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

KungFu Grip posted:

Excuse me, but Warrior is from Parts Unknown. :colbert:

Parts Unknown, Valhalla :black101:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Burrito posted:

ECW is Low Ki and Danielson won't get the gently caress out of the ring.

That would own so loving hard.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Can I get a link to the Low Ki vs KENTA match from ROH? It is being way too difficult to find.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

HulkaMatt posted:

HMMM

You try lazily searching Google videos for 'low ki vs kenta' and tell me what you get :colbert:

thanks honeypie:allears:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iyul69NjbA

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This question comes in the form of a picture

Click here for the full 1246x349 image.

So?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
But BATISTA has the biggest picture

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Undertaker going Old School :colbert:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

projecthalaxy posted:

Who is the Dirt Bike Kid? I heard his name being used in a list with people like Mass Transit and Mike Levy as examples of the business getting too real. Unsurprisingly, wikipedia has failed me.

quote:

On 8/9/99 Michinoku Pro’s Masked Tournament 99 took place and a first round match saw Great Sasuke take on Dirt Bike Kid

The theme of the tournament saw each competitor wear a mask, with the loser of the final round losing their mask forever.

Dirt Bike, who was a relatively unknown European indy worker, started off the match by removing the mask they had him wear leaving only his dirt bike mouth guard.

This combined with Dirt Bike’s frequent no selling and unwillingness to let up on offence lead Sauske to take Dirt Bike down with a series of kicks and stomps which were said to have bruised or cracked the ribs of the Kid.

The match ended quickly with Sauske getting Kid in a front headlock and pulling up to make Dirt Bike legit submit.

http://wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/sauske_shoots_on_dbk.html

Dont gently caress with The Great Sasuke.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I heard that Edge is returning at the Rumble!!!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

BigRed0427 posted:

Did John Cena have any wrestling experience before going into the WWE and OVW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXFRGEnwmM

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Can somebody recommend great matches that don't hit the 10 minute mark? Looking for short matches like Big Show vs Brock Lesnar or the Angle/Orton/Rey triple threat at Wrestlemania 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV3ZlLT9mVk

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

servo106 posted:

Great match but, holy poo poo I forgot about Art Donovan. One of the worst announcers ever.

How much does this fella weigh?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

dusty udder smoker posted:

thats another thing: what are some notable tag teams that never held the tag titles in WWE/WCW?

Serious post:

It pisses me off how they're constantly oh-so-close to the titles.

Edit: not counting day long house show reigns.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

dusty udder smoker posted:

they never had a house show tag title reign

They're a notable tag team that has never held the belts, even during house shows. So, answers your question.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

crankdatbatman posted:

What does "Hackenschmidt screwed Hackenschmidt" (sp?) mean or where did it come from? Provided it's not just a saying you guys came up with.

Obviously from wikipedia

quote:

Hackenschmidt met Gotch again on 4 September 1911 at the newly opened Comiskey Park in Chicago, which drew a crowd of nearly 30,000 spectators and a record gate of $87,000. The rematch is one of the most controversial and talked about matches in wrestling history, as Hackenschmidt injured his knee in a training session with Ad Santel weeks before the match, and it was later alleged that Gotch had paid off Santel to ensure that Hackenschmidt was not at 100% condition for the rematch. The injury was so severe that Hackenschmidt nearly withdrew from the match, but agreed to go on with the match only after Gotch had fabricated the claim that he also had an injury (his neck), but was still willing to compete regardless. Before the match, the two had allegedly agreed on Gotch winning the match, but under the condition that Gotch lost the first fall so that Hackenschmidt would look strong in defeat. Despite their agreement before the match, Gotch ended up double-crossing Hackenschmidt by quickly defeating him in two straight falls. Hackenschmidt retired shortly after, due to recurring injuries.

Hackenschmidt screwed Hackenschmidt is a play on Bret Hart screwed Bret Hart that came in the fallout of the Montreal Screwjob.

edit: I don't care if I was beaten :colbert:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I want to watch some old ECW. What are some classic matches I should watch today?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Why was a Yeti wrapped up like a Mummy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CVagts posted:

He's comfortable on the mic, he has a distinct look, he's competent enough in the ring at what he does, and it shakes up the main event scene so that we're not watching Cena vs. Orton 106.

Also he works out with Triple H.

He's a loving monster.

My question is about entrance music. How many current WWE superstars still have their original music? I'm not including tag teams in this, so all I can think of is Jericho and CM Punk.