Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

Every wrestling announcer in history does this and it drives me nuts. No, Mr. Schiavone. No. Nobody is actually hanging from the loving rafters.

It wouldn't drive me so nuts if it wasn't the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they meant.

Its not like this is limited to wrestling announcers, pretty much 80% of the population does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Davros1 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Triple H had some sort of job title that exempts him from being tested. Like since he sits in on the booking meetings, he's officially considered part of the "creative team", and therefore doesn't have to be tested.

Someone posted before that residents of Connecticut are not allowed by law to be drug tested for a job or something, I don't know if thats true or why if it is true, other people wouldn't declare residency in that state or what, but someone said that once.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Karmine posted:

It is false. I live in Connecticut and I've been drug tested a bunch of times.

Then whoever said that is a dick.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I thought that whole thing was made up, or was it just one specific quote that was made up, I don't remember but I remember something being made up.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But to answer your question I'm sure Batista was doing whatever you were accusing him of doing because he sucks.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Made You Look posted:

What's the story (kayfabe) with HHH and Steph? I remember she originally hated him, then turned on Vince and they had the whole McMahon/Helmsley era. But then for some reason I remember her wanting to divorce him or something towards the end of my first segment of being a wrestling fan. Once she started hating HHH was around the time I stopped watching, with an show here or there. Whenever I did watch it looked like they were broken up or whatever.

So what's happened with them in between that and HHH's priceless reaction when he was handcuffed and Randy was going to punt Steph. Was that supposed to be a sort of kayfabe breach to add emotion or something, where the fans know they're not really "divorced" or whatever? I was just really confused

Edit: For reference I was about 9-10 years old when all of this happened and had just started watching wrestling so I had no idea what the gently caress was real/fake/a shoot or whatever. Also I was/am a huge HHH mark. I have no idea why my 9 year old brain loved HHH and absolutely hated the Rock (and had no feelings toward austin).

Enough people know that they are married for real that they can run an angle on it. Besides when they break kayfabe it can make an angle even bigger because they can be like 'this poo poo is for realsies' I dont think there was ever a moment before that angle where they admitted they were married but I do think HHH has made a few smark bating comments about it over the years.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BUTTHOLE MAGICIAN posted:

she like faked a pregnancy or something because she thought the marriage was going to poo poo and HHH found out and called her some real nasty names and then they made out on the 15th anniversary show

Oh yeah I forgot they did kind of break kayfabe on that show, but seriously more of the audience knew they were married before that then didn't.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rusty Shackelford posted:

MVP is a felon that probably has a parole officer or something that tests him for drugs.

Yeah because hes been on observed parole for 9+ years.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Burrito posted:

Once you get that Malcolm X tattoo they just won't let you go.

I looked it up just to make sure and even if he was put on parole for the duration of his sentence which is unlikely in any case that would be almost 10 years ago by now. Theres no way that guy is still on parole.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wikipedia says He later completed 9½ years of an 18½ year prison sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping which he started at the age of sixteen.

People are on parole for the rest of their sentence, usually. If that was the case, he would have gotten off of parole sometime this year and in that time, he would have had monthly meetings with a parole officer where he would have been subject to random drug tests.

I know how parole works, and hes clearly not on it any more regardless, and theres no way to know how long he was put on parole after he got out without knowing the specifics of his case, but he was traveling between states and sometimes over seas (although not as much as some of the other guys in the company) which is generally not something you do when you are on parole, I find it pretty unlikely hes been on parole for most of his WWE career. But we can't possibly know without asking him or finding his records, regardless hes definitely not any more.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Timby posted:

Parole =/= probation.

He could have been on probation, and it could be summary probation instead of supervised, we really don't know anything without knowing his case. Either way, he wasn't necessarily being drug tested anyways, since its not automatic for every crime.

My point is saying 'MVP is a felon so hes getting drug tested all the time' is completely unfounded.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
think Debra wins that one

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Wait I forgot about Woman.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Judakel posted:

Blah blah, looking for a real answer. Here, have a cookie for that hilarious answer.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone really knows, he wasn't diagnosed with palsy or anything like that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Judakel posted:

Maybe he had a stroke somewhere along the line? It is the weirdest looking thing.

I think if he had a stroke it probably would have been mentioned. Maybe he had the herp or a bee sting or he landed hard on a bump while working out and tweeked his back or something.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Reading the "You knew you were a mark when" thread has made me realize something. I'm not sure I understand exactly what a smark is. I always understood it to mean someone who knows it's all a work. Somehow, though, I think it's a little more complex than that, because it gets thrown around here often in derogatory fashion.

If it IS as simple as knowing it's all a work, then why DOES it get thrown around in "smarks :rolleyes:" context?

Smark is a derogatory term used by wrestling fans on the internet to refer to other wrestling fans on the internet that they think they are better than.

Thats it.

Nobody else uses it, for anything else.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

See, I don't really agree with that, but it's a term about fake fighting, so who the gently caress really cares I guess. :shobon:

I guess the reason that I think we're all marks is because we still get wrapped up in the show.

To the people that actually use the word mark, like people in 'the business' anyone that watches wrestling is a mark. If you know its fake and you still watch it you're still a mark. Being a mark is a carny term for a rube you can get money out of. It doesn't matter what you know, so in that sense we are all marks.

I try not to use either term because they are inherently pejorative.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

FishBulb posted:

Smark is a derogatory term used by wrestling fans on the internet to refer to other wrestling fans on the internet that they think they are better than.

Thats it.

Nobody else uses it, for anything else.

spudsbuckley posted:

Internet smarks have to hate TNA for some reason. I think it's the law or something. It's the same reason they love ROH and Puro.

see?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Was he Sting when Warrior was THE DINGO WARRIOR or was that not related? Was he STING WARRIOR?

that would be amazing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jason Funk posted:

They were Blade Runners Sting and Rock, like Road Warriors Hawk and Animal.

Warrior was The Rock before The Rock was.

Yeah Blade Runners! THats right I remember that now, god I haven't thought about that in forever.
Then when was the Warrior DINGO WARRIOR?

edit: Right after that apparently, DINGO WARRIOR

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

quote:

Kevin Nash then came out with a black girl, I guess to show that he is cool.

I dont even know why but this one made me laugh real hard

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn it's good to be reminded that even today there is still nothing that compares to the perfect storm of poo poo that was WCW.

Its really sad to me because there were decades where WCW was a solid product, that was never as big as WWF was going to be, but they put on a simple old school entertaining show I mean, sure they did some dumb poo poo.

Then things started to pick up and they were real competition for Vince and it was like the underdog (as much as an underdog as a company owned by a billionaire thats part of a huge media conglomerate could be) making good and then dear god what is happening its like some kind of Tetsuo poo poo dear god make it stop before it destroys the world .

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Captain Charisma posted:

I think he means WCW/NWA

Of course I do but it's much more fun to try and correct people over tiny things.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly I thought someone would call me a fag for referencing an anime in that post, not for being hyperbolic with my timeline.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Oasx posted:

Why did Michael Buffer stop being an announcer at wrestling PPV's? I dont watch boxing so as a kid i allways associated him with wrestling.

Hes expensive, and nobody is going to buy a PPV for him.

WCW used him because they didn't care about wasting money at the time.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

The guy is a fine announcer but wasn't he charging like 250K an appearance?

Its just not worth it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Judakel posted:

People, just because someone says "how often..." doesn't mean you have to point out every instance that goes against their point. It just means that those instances are in the minority. Goddamn nerds.

Everything must be corrected, regardless of its merit, what else is there to do on this forum other than nitpick minor errors and show off your vast encyclopedic knowledge of wrestling lore?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

projecthalaxy posted:

What is the deal with lawler and his 110 belts or whatever number?

Lawler is a big name in Memphis and has won a ton of regional titles in that area/with promotions down there.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't know a ton about Lucha but I used to go to a bunch of shows in TJ when I lived out there and I don't really think so, there is a huge variety in masks, from plain colors to elaborate stuff with horns and poo poo.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Because the show with the higher ratings will be seen to be doing better. We want WWE to be forced to recognise Smackdown as the better show so their lovely Raw booking will go away.

Hahaha no it won't.

If Smackdown got higher ratings than Raw they wouldnt change Raw they would just complain about the fans being dumb.

Raw is always going to be #1.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok I have a couple of questions...

What exactly is X-pac heat and how did Sean Waltman obtain this?

Its a term that describes a hatred of a wrestler that inspires instead of fun 'boo boo you're a bad guy' reactions 'I am going to ignore everything you do because you are worthless reactions, the problem is that this is indistinguishable from just not getting a reaction at all. Either way it means that people don't like a guy. Its silly.

quote:

Do internet fans really hate Hulk Hogan and why? He did a ton for the business in the 80s and seems like an ok guy from the interviews he gives and the vh1 shows he's on. I hear he has a huge ego but some of the stuff I've heard sounds borderline uncanny.

Hes a very mediocre wrestler and a terrible human being. Yeah he was a huge draw and that matters to some people but to a lot of people how much money Vince made off a guy is low on their list of reasons to like or dislike someone. He was also a huge backstage politicking bastard and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

He said he understood how OJ could kill his wife and that the guy that his son crippled was a negative person and deserved it or whatever. Hes a bad person.

quote:

Finally, have Kane and Big Show ever had substantial title runs? I started watching WWF/E at the tailend of 99 and Big Show had the title. I've heard Kane had it too but it was short-lived. I went about six years not watching wrestling starting late 02, and I wonder if either of them have had titles since then. They both have been legit main eventers at times and I don't understand why they don't get the main titles ever, considering how long their careers currently are. Am I just mistaken in thinking they are (or have been) main eventers for any significant time in their career?

Kane had the title for 1 night, I don't really know about Show. But neither of them NEED the title to be over (not that HHH or Batista do either but whatever) They can function as 'special attractions' and do fine in their own feuds and angles without being involved in the main event scene.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Oh no. You did not just call the Rock, Austin, Benoit, and Angle bad workers. They were all light-years ahead of hogan.

Guys like Kevin Nash, and Lex Lugar are more like Hogan with regards to in ring work.

He was saying the Rock was a bad worker and those other guys are assholes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Over-Sold posted:

1) What is Sting's problem with WWE? Is it just that he hates Vince? If he does hate Vince, why? Was he a WCW insider mark who hates WWE for besting WCW? If Vince were to die tomorrow, do you think he might sign with WWE?

Supposedly he thought that Vince and the WWE was too vulgar and that Vince is a douchebag.

Since Vince is a douchebag its not too unbelievable. If Vince died HHH and Steph would be in charge, HHH is a douchebag and Steph is a douchebagess so I don't think he would sign. He doesn't really need to hes doing fine.

quote:

2) I keep seeing people say that Austin beat Debra, but the only thing I ever heard about this was that they were driving somewhere together and, during a huge fight, he pulled over to the side of the road and yelled at her to get out/pushed her a bit. I'm not saying putting your hands on someone, especially your wife, is excusable, but that's far from a beating. So, my question is, what really happened? Also, I heard that Rock was charged with assaulting his wife, is there any validity to this?

Wikipedia but whatever:
On September 13, 2000, Austin married Debra Marshall.[53] On June 15, 2002, however, police were called to their residence in San Antonio, Texas.[38] They found a hysterical Debra with bruises.[54] Austin had left the house and was asked by police not to return. On August 14, 2002, Austin was arrested and charged with domestic abuse. He pled no contest on November 25, 2002 and was given a year's probation, a $1,000 fine and ordered to carry out eighty hours of community service.[55] Debra would later claim that Steve Austin was a steroid user and this incident was the result of roid rage.[56] Austin filed for divorce from Debra on July 22, 2002 and the divorce was finalized on February 5, 2003.[57]

I've never heard of anything about the Rock.

quote:

3) Years ago, like, a lot of them, I watched an I Quit match where the rules stated that whoever said "I quit" wasn't only quitting the match, but also his job. Then Foley and The Rock had their I Quit match and I can't remember if there was any sort of career stipulation related to the match, but then since Foley didn't really quit I suppose you could say it doesn't matter. The Hardy match is the only one I've seen since and they never once mentioned one of their jobs being on the line, and clearly, neither career was. So, I'm wondering if that first match I saw had an added stipulation, if Foley/Rock did have a career on the line that was just forgetten due to how the match went down, or if they've just decided to remove that aspect of an I Quit match in general, like how they changed Cage matches.

There are two seperate stipulations, I Quit and Loser Leaves Reality or whatever, sometimes they overlap and the run them as a single gimmick and sometimes they don't. Its not like there is an official list of wrestling stipulations that have to be followed or whatever. They can run them however they want.

quote:

4) Has anyone ever mentioned what happened between 'Taker and his wife? Was it just a case of him being alone on the road too long and they grew apart? Did she/he cheat? I know he's with Michelle McCool now, is she a home-wrecker?

I don't really know anything about this, its possible they just drifted apart or whatever. Taker doesn't tend to be a guy that there are a lot of rumors about.

quote:

5) What's with the rumors of Lita enjoying getting pissed on? Is this an actual fetish of hers? Did she really gently caress wrestlers in exchange for wrestling training? Normally I'd just dismiss these as silly rumors, but this is the world of wrestling, so you never know...

I think I mean, its rumors. Are any of them true, maybe, probably, maybe not. Who knows? Wrestling being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised by any of it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

KungFu Grip posted:

Just an out there question, but from TNA's roster and WWE's roster who do you guys think would be welcomed in with open arms and who would be booed out of the building if they went to join ROH? You can use any reason though to determine how ROH's fans would react.

I imagine that anyone would get a positive reaction if it was a surprise appearance and if it wasn't any smark favorite would probably be pretty well accepted and HHH would be booed like a motherfucker loving a mother.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

I would love to see how ROH fans would react to the Undertaker. I imagine it would kill a great number of them as they conflicted between wanting to show disdain for the gimmick and being blown away by the quality of the wrestling.

I like the Undertaker but is he really known tremendous quality of wrestling? I mean he brings it but other than occasional big matches with HBK or something its not like hes knocking 8 snowflakes out of the park all the time.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MassRayPer posted:

Flair always got tremendous reactions at live ROH shows.

Cena, Batista and HHH would be booed out of the building.

HBK and Jericho would be loved.

Undertaker would probably get a great reaction.

I think if HHH or Cena showed up completely unannounced they would probably get a good pop just for the holy poo poo factor.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

KungFu Grip posted:

They get booed on their name drops.

Yeah I still think they would pop if one them just walked through the curtain though.

I mean, I know this isn't what people would expect or whatever I'm just sayin.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

Taker has the absolutely tremendous level of timing/sense for the crowd that only a naturally gifted wrestler with a couple of decades worth of experience could ever really have. It's often overshadowed by his gimmick, but I would rate Taker as a tremendously high quality wrestler.

Hes good at psychology and pacing a match but I don't know if his style would really wow ROH fans at a ring level. I mean, like I said, I like the guy but its pretty different style than they are used to.

They would still pop for him for crazy hough just because hes the loving Undertaker.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of the Undertaker, What was he like before he was the Undertaker?

He was pretty much like the Undertaker without the gimmick. See if you can find any matches of 'Mean Mark Callous' I think that was his name right?

I only remember seeing him do a couple matches on WCW Saturday Night back in the day before he started in the WWF though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Axissillian posted:

Honestly, at this point I think Montreal like the rest of the Wrestling World does not give a poo poo about Bret. Its just one of those things that has become part of the wrestling shows and the crowd loves being a part of it, hell Shawn does too.

Yeah Shawn is just a good performer and knows hes going to get it in Montreal so he plays along, but the crowd just chants it because they can, most of them never even saw Bret wrestle...