Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Thorias posted:

The only time I remember them ever actually letting anyone flash without something covering the nipples was Kat at some PPV, I don't remember which one, though.
The company line was that Kat did that on her own and it was frowned upon by WWE.

I tend to believe WWE on that one. Kat was all about getting attention (hell, she was dating Lawler and letting him put up nude pictures of her on his website) so I can easily believe it was her decision alone.

If WWE asked her to do it, I would imagine things like that would have happened more often during the Attitude era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Minidust posted:

Maybe it's just the forums I frequented at the time, but I remember Rock getting a LOT of hate around 2000-2001. People blew a gasket when he randomly started using the Sharpshooter.
That was because his execution of the sharpshooter was anything but excellent. It never seemed like he truly "stretched" his opponent. I'd compare it to Jericho's Lion Tamer once coming to WWE. Of course Jericho made his more of a Boston Crab (and getting rid of putting his knee in the opponent's back - used to be one of my favorite moves to do to friends cause it really loving hurt) but even then, he didn't seem to lean back far enough. Same with Rock's sharpshooter.

I always missed Rock's DDT he did where he floated over his opponent to hit it. I think Swagger did one to HHH this past Monday. Rock's was always very fluid. (I'm pretty sure it's actually called a "float-over DDT" but I could be wrong - and I think Rock's version had a unique name)

Rock belongs to a certain group of wrestlers who had a lot of promise in terms of technical ability before they made it big, and then once making it big, they stopped enhancing their movesets and even cut some of their fan-favorite moves. Some of this has to do with changing from heel to face, some of it probably has to do with facing larger opponents, and some of it would have to do with the person actually gaining a lot of muscle mass. I'd say HHH belongs to this group, too.

It's rare to find guys who actually improve wrestling-wise after making it big. The best examples here would probably be Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Kurt Angle. Of course the three of them have never really gotten that much bigger physically. They got more muscle definition, but nothing like the "transformation" Rock and HHH each went through on their ways to the top.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

It's another part of the wonderful world of double-standards in wrestling. Macho Man was an "independent contractor", then he independently went and got himself a sponsorship deal and then independently went off and got a new contract paying more money at a different company and Vince got upset.
Was Savage still an independent contractor while he was doing commentary? I can't remember if his contract had expired anytime between his "retirement" and becoming a commentator.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I was reading a fluff piece about the biggest upsets in sports, and it got me thinking. What is the biggest upset in modern day wrestling (since Hogan won the WWF Title from the Iron Sheik)?
Didn't Shelton Benjamin get a win over HHH during Evolution?

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

evale posted:

How big is a WrestleMania pay cheque?
This isn't definite by any means but I remember hearing that Umaga got close to a quarter of a million dollars for his match with Lashley at WM. That was a high profile match, but that's still a shitload of money for one night. (I can't confirm this is correct, though, but I definitely heard it at one point)

Orgophlax posted:

OK here's one. Known as the greatest heel in WWE history, was Million Dollar Man ever a face? I was just a kid around the time he was wrestling and only ever remember him being a bad guy.

EDIT: Also, wikipedia says that the Million Dollar Dream was a cobra clutch. I thought it was just a regular old sleeper hold?
I guess you mean in his first big WWE run? I don't think he was ever a face then.

And yeah, the Million Dollar Dream is a cobra clutch. It's definitely not a regular sleeper.