Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
On the bleach issue- I think ROH had Homicide force Cabana to drink "bleach", or was it Drano?

Speaking of terribly violent death matches-which fed had the SAW match, where the one dude got dropped on a shitload of syringes? There was a youtube video of that that was quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Batmanuel posted:

:nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzXdewxB4M

I think that is what you're talking about.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS2_aZldH9c <--could be it.
It's the second one, but I didn't learn that until after I accidentally watched 30 seconds of the first one. Gross. I love how it's the same guy in both of them too- how long do these "careers" last for these guys?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Drano gel. And after Cabana finally won the Chicago Street Fight against Homicide, Smokes and Reyes came out with a noose, but Homicide finally ended the madness and shook Cabana's hand.

Less than two minutes later, Cabana was back to his dancin' self.

That feud was probably the best one either of those guys ever had. The Chicago street fight in particular might be my favorite match from both of them, and one of my favorite deathmatches.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

CM Junk posted:

I seem to hear on occasion that there's a difference between rudos' masks and tecnicos' masks, like if a tecnico turns then he starts wearing a different mask. Are their discerning characteristics between the two? Are there actually "rudo masks" and "tecnico masks"?

I think the idea is more that when the character develops or changes, the mask changes too, too show the new character. In Chikara, when Shane Storm became STIGMA they did this too.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

oldpainless posted:

What I meant was I dont watch TNA so there might be guys who have protected finishers, but I wouldn't be aware of them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
NOTHING is protected in TNA. Not finishers, not wrestlers, not title shots or match provisions. This is TNA's biggest problem.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
^^^^Motherfucker, that was not up when I posted when I posted, but I feel like it proves my point anyway.

PsiKoTicK posted:

or give me a reason to watch ROH that isn't "the physical wrestling is good."

This is why ROH needs storyline specific DVDs. They have plenty of great storylines (the ballad of Jimmy and Lacey, Dragon v. Morishima, Punk v. Raven, ROH v. CZW), but they don't always progress in every single show, or sometimes they last for over a year because of guys getting injured or Gabe being unable to stop pushing BJ Whitmer. It's a common WH2k opinion that WWE needs these kind of anthologies, but I would argue that ROH could benefit from them way more.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

oldpainless posted:

Is Colt Cabana any good?

Yes. You should actually watch him wrestle.

The rest of your post is you being stupid because you haven't seen any Colt Cabana matches. Everyone can tell you a good Cabana comedy match, but the one that proved to me that he can work all-around was his Chicago Street Fight with Homicide, from... poo poo, some ROH show in Chicago.

If your question is "is this guy good?" and you immediately follow with "I haven't seen any of his matches" the only answer you deserve is "go watch some god drat matches and make-up your own mind".

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

oldpainless posted:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of Colt Cabana's bed this morning.

Us Jews gotta stick together.

Also, my grumpyness has nothing to do with it, you really could go watch some of his matches. All the ROH on HDNet episodes are on youtube, and between that and dailymotion you should be able to find a few of his other highlights (wrestling in WSX as Matt Classic, and anything in PWG are must-sees).

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

rotinaj posted:

Ask five indy fans, get five different answers. With so many indy guys being snapped up as of late, most of the tippy top guys are working in TNA or WWE.

It's also pretty hard to get people to agree what criteria to judge by.

My answer(s):
Best Personality? Colt Cabana
Best Gimmick? Delirious (only because Human Tornado retired)
Best Tag Team? Kings of Wrestling (I've always really liked Claudio Castagnoli, and I think him and Chris Hero work well together)
Best Technical Wrestler? Quack is not a bad answer here
Best All Around? AA, Austin Ares. Also set to be the best manager in the indies!!

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

whatsabattle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT_9P5TQ9MI

Corny is the best ever.

"This match just might go on a long time!" really makes the whole segment. It's the kind of throw-away, white noise announcer line that you normally wouldn't even listen to, and it's awesome.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, Goldust's improvement since returning to WWE is nothing short of miraculous.
I recently left a job with a company I thought was directionless, and I think a lot of people underestimate how invigorating it is to move from a bad situation like that into a company that you have confidence in. Add into the equation that Dustin now gets to work with his dad and younger brother, and I can believe that the guy's physical transformation is a direct result of his change of scenery.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Opinion question: Has Evan Bourne always been this good or did he actually improve since coming to WWE?

He was pretty good in ROH- One of the Death Before Dishoner DVDs (either 5 or 6) has a crazy awesome street fight with him in it where he does an SSP off of the top of a set of bleachers. But he's definitely gotten more comfortable working "the WWE style" (whatever that means).

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Lone Rogue posted:

I've actually talked to a few Indie guys who got shots and they were suggested by guys on the roster to bring styrofoam containers and grab as much as food as they possibly could until someone yelled at them. I can't remember who told me he ended up taking a weeks worth of food back with him for one dark match job spot.

I usually doubt things that people post that are third hand indie wrestler stories, but I have no reason to doubt the veracity of this statement. Of all the things people have told me about the way wrestling works, this is honestly the most believable.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oddly enough though, AFAIK he wasn't actually charged with anything, which...I'm not sure I get.

I reserve the right to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that most of the guys who get busted by Perverted Justice don't end up getting charged because of the circumstances of these stings.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Ozz81 posted:

Example: lariat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzFPNDLdaI

Supplementary material: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMX3_lzITE

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

RentACop posted:

I seem to recall, years ago, Ezekiel Jackson being the bodyguard for some skinny capering dude whose name I cannot remember. So yeah, who was that and was he any good?

If you mean The Brian Kendrick, yes. Especially when he tagged with Paul London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
I think the best argument to make in favor of the rock is that he's the first wrestler since Andre to really "cross over" in a meaningful way.

Put it this way: if the WWE was Chess Records, the Rock would be driving a Cadillac and Hogan, Flair, Austin would be bumming rides.