Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
DDP is made of Yoga and leather, he's in fine condition. Would probably have a rather thick layer of ring rust though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Timby posted:

DDP is 54 years old and I guarantee you a huge percentage of the audience watching today has no clue who the hell he is. He's not a Ric Flair, who was around in the business for decades before his retirement angle (which was built so well that even young fans who came in with the Cena era gave a poo poo about it). DDP and Undertaker at WrestleMania 27 would go over about as well as a wet fart in church.

Well sure, but that wasn't the question.

DDP didn't start wrestling until his late 30s and he's still completely obsessed with his yoga fitness thing so he's in good shape.

I would love to see DDP back but he would have to be more of a mentor/manager who wrestles occasionally.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

BigRed0427 posted:

Well the one gimmick I would like some promotion, either CHIKARA or WWE try is a Peter Pan type character. (Surprise surprise given my avatar) But the more I think about this character the more I think that he would basically be Hornswoggle if he was average size, could talk, and could wrestle. It would have to be played but someone who can act and look very immature, and very childish. And maybe by someone with an insane spot monkey move set. You could also have him do heel moves and not understand why they are considered heel moves or have him attack his own partner at one point in a tag match.

But like I said, the more I think about this the more he would basically a normal sized hornswoggle.

So ... pre-BDK Pinkie Sanchez?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ktik posted:

I'd also like a gimmick of just an unlucky guy who wrestles hardcore matches. He goes to spray his opponent with a fire extinguisher only it's all out and he looks into it himself to see if he can see any and it sprays him in the face so he loses. He goes to set up a table to throw his opponent into, only the legs are broken so it won't stand up. The chair he goes to swing at his opponent falls apart when he lifts it above his head. Comedy jobbers are what this company needs, damnit!

I don't think you understand. WWE is serious now, because Vince thinks they're competing with UFC.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ktik posted:

One more gimmick which revolves around a cruiserweight division existing.

Ever seen Dazed and Confused? The Ben Affleck character. Some giant jock who is just picking on smaller guys than him to try and impress girls. I always though Chris Masters would be perfect for this. He's backstage picking on the guys under 6 feet tall, pushing them around, interfering in their matches, challenging them to fights and always destroying them and trying to use it to impress whatever nameless blonde characters are on his brand. I don't think it would ever really have a blow off feud, but maybe it goes on for like three months until a small guy finally beats him by being faster than him, he's off TV for a month and pretends it never happens and just repeat. Of course whoever beats him wins the heart of the girl who admits she never really liked Masters.

I think you need Brodie Lee for that.

It will never get old seeing him big boot little guys.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What WWE actually needs is Lance Steel (older) and Lance Steel (younger).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Butterbean was pretty clearly just Bart Gunn's punishment for knocking out Dr Death.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 13, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Everything being run by the yakuza probably meant that it was either run well or people who complained ended up dead.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For the PPVs at least, if you want Ventura you can just buy the tagged classics versions that Silvervision released in Europe. Nothing is edited on them, so you can have Ventura, the wwf scratch logo and whatever else they've been removing from US dvds.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Fess up, which one of yous did this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Alvarez ?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Aw, someone changed it now. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bryan_Alvarez&action=historysubmit&diff=411217715&oldid=411217703 is what I was referring to.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 31, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The most commonly quoted reason I've seen for Brock leaving was that he just got burnt out and didn't want to spend all year on the road. He had made a ton of money very quickly and wanted to try his hand at something else where he wouldn't have the same hectic schedule.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jack Anderson posted:

Super Dragon retired due to mounting injuries.

Who was he trying to mount when he got injured?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Manwithastick posted:

watching the botchamania series - is it wwe/wcw policy to attack fans who enter the ring? the wrestlers seem to like getting a kick in even when the guy is caught

They don't know what the hell that person is going to do, so they pretty much just go for the headlock or other easy takedown to make sure nothing happens.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Most of these people can't even work a fake headlock properly. You expect them to know all about a real one?

If Mark Curtis could slap a guillotine choke on a dude like it was nothing, I would like to think that active wrestlers could do something similar.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just watched CHIKARA's Scornucopia the other day and at the end of the first match they lift a kid from the audience into the ring and perform an improvised finish with him. He even gets the pin (well, he gets to join in a dogpile, at least). Sadly that moment doesn't seem to be on youtube.

... or, uh, at least I think it's improvised, but now that I think of it, given the nature of this sport... :tinfoil:

There was a lot of kid interaction in that 3.0 vs Los Icecreams match. Scott Parker taking a kids ant mask and then remembering that he's a face now so he gives it back, one of the ice creams making a kid cry, the aforementioned ophidian-mask kid who one of the icecreams hid behind and was then later used for the finish and a kid in a los ice creams shirt being first acknowledged by one ice cream and then later on both ice creams trying to celebrate with him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think calling Sting average is selling him a bit short.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Pretty sure they'll just make sure to use a ref that speaks spanish if it should really be a problem.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Giedroyc posted:

Has Konnan ever had a good match? I'm up to Spring 1999 on Nitro's and haven't seen one yet. His dire catchphrases and poo poo rap videos have also created maskless GANGSTA Rey Mysterio who is now 5000% more annoying.

I knew about the logo to Nitro changing in 1999 but I didn't know about DJ RAN, the hilarious drum n bass theme song (cutting to a confused looking Heenan) and nobody in the main event scene knowing if they're heel or face.

He had some fairly good matches in 96 and 97, but that was mostly because he was working with the various cruiserweights. Eddie, Jericho, Rey Mysterio jr, Juventud, Liger etc.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It sort of depends on who you want to believe, I guess.

According to Heenan and Tenay, Schiavone would get pretty much all the info from the writers/bookers and then keep it to himself because he believed that knowledge was power.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I wonder who convinced guys like Vader and Hugh Morrus that doing a moonsault from the toprope when you're a 300 or 400 pound guy would be a fantastic idea.

We know all the flippy stuff is hard on the knees when it comes to all the little cruiserweights but it has to even worse for big guys doing that stuff in almost every match even if it is just the one move compared to several flippy things that cruiserweights tends to do in a single match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

I like how it's just a huge list of former WWE wrestlers and then suddenly Matt Cross. Also Lacey Von Erich.

If you listen to the Matt Cross episode of Colt Cabana's podcast then he has some great stories about that tour.

All these old WWE guys just assumed that he had been in WWE when they weren't with the company, so they would talk to him about all sorts of random WWE stuff and he would just try to play along.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think there might be some issues with the entrance music used in WCW which prevents them from just releasing them.

The other thing is most likely that they don't really want to.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Oh and there are actually no official WCW PPVs released on dvd, so the only way to get legit things is to buy old tapes on ebay or something.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'd be happy to do more Thunder posting if people would like it. Just need to agree on a day and time if you want to do simulwatching. I'm about 5-6 hours ahead of you americans though, so someone else would probably have to do the coordinating.

I have all the episodes so we could potentially make it a three year project. :v:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They turned it into a hachet job after Warrior refused to work with WWE on it.

It would have been just like any other WWE superstar dvd otherwise.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Scott Steiner in his BPP phase had a really good match against Goldberg at Fall Brawl 2000. Or well, it started out really well and then ended with the usual Russo nonsense.

His match with DDP at Greed was pretty good too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm liking Icarus more and more now that he is actively embracing his horrible back tattoo and playing more to the crowd.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
He also gets bonus points for calling (one of) his finisher(s) The Blu-Ray because it is better than the Death Valley Driver (DVD).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kingston has a bit of Harley Race in his promos as well.

An intense man, very calmly telling you that he is going to kill you.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Thunder in 2000 actually had some good stuff. It was sort of apart from Nitro so they could do whatever they wanted with the lower card guys.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It seems that I share a birthday with Elix Skipper and Eric Young.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Cena is the definition of "only as good as his opponent" and his HBK stuff in particular is over-rated in the extreme.

Cena-Umaga Last Man Standing at Royal Rumble 2007 was amazing and much as you'd like, you can't really put that entirely on Umaga.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm pretty sure Show never did a moonsault on TV. He did dropkicks though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
He doesn't get to shine because he isn't actually that good.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There was also the West Hollywood Blondes in WCW, they got changed into Standards&Practices after complaints from all sorts of people.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Goldberg was basically a modern day Ultimate Warrior, except he didn't spend all his energy running to the ring so he could actually pull off some stuff without blowing up right away.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Goldberg was a great athlete. Look up his match with Steiner from Fall Brawl 2000 to see the essential difference between Goldberg muscle and Steiner muscle. Its also full of great power moves from both guys.

Goldberg wanted to (and did) learn all kinds of moves but the booking didn't allow him to really show them off. His matches with DDP and Sting show it off a bit.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

oldpainless posted:

Can you explain what the differnce is between Golberg muscle and Steiner muscle?

The former is what allows Goldberg to pick up Steiner almost at will and actually parade him around in a military press and a stalling suplex forever. The latter is Steiner is struggling to get Goldberg up for his power moves despite his gigantic muscles.

I guess the short answer would have been "massive steroid abuse".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Moose Bigelow posted:

He wasn't good enough to hang around in the NFL for a long time. Some linemen are athletic but those are DEs. He was a DT who failed when he couldn't bull rush interior linemen who were as strong as he was.

I looked up Goldbergs NFL career because I never really read anything about it and ...

quote:

Goldberg's NFL career ended when he tore his lower abdomen off his pelvis.

:staredog: