Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

The UnAmericans were going to be booked stronger, but two things derailed them. At MSG they were going to (not) burn the American flag and due to the parking situation they'd have to leave the arena surrounded by the public, so a guy backstage offered to pull their cars up to the building instead. They said sure as this would save them a lot of time as the garages were a pain, but when word got out, and the angle failed to get heat they got a reputation of being afraid to get heat.

And around the same time Evolution started coming together and the heel stable of mostly mid carders lost the interest of the bookers.

A couple other things hosed up the UnAmericans booking. Vince wanted Test and Christian to get short haircuts (both had long hair at the time) and they bitched about it, so the writers were less interested in pushing two guys who weren't committed. Also, Lance and Jericho wanted Jericho to join them and change the name to C4, since they were four Canadians and they would do the 4 Horsemen gimmick. They were told "no" and then the gimmick was turned into Evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

BurnHTML posted:

I do believe it was Kidman. For some reason after a certain point, Kidman was just not accurate AT ALL with the SSP. It was never perfect but at least he wasn't a complete danger to everyone.

He got fat. After going to WWE, because he was a skinny guy, he tried to bulk up to impress creative. He didn't carry the weight well, and more importantly it slowed him down. He was never the same worker after.

CM Junk posted:

He has the occasional match every now and then, but I'm not really sure how often he still breaks out the piledriver in WWE matches. The major move I see him use in matches normally is the jumping punch from the second rope.

Lawler wrestles on a weekly basis, just on the indies. Pretty sure he uses the piledriver most of the time, the reason he doesn't use it in WWE is because piledrivers are banned. Unless you're the Undertaker and it's a special occasion.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

From Yahoo answers, so take with a grain of salt,
"Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
If I remember correctly, his original purpose for the tennis racket was to protect himself from rowdy and unruly fans. This was back in the "old days" when heels often had to fight their way through the crowds back to the locker room to escape their wrath. Cornette was especially effective at riling up the fans and used the tennis racket to keep their hands off of him and the Midnight Express.
6 months ago "

That's mostly right. He needed something to defent himself with, and a tennis racket worked in two ways. First, it fit his spoiled rich mama's boy image. Second, there was no accepted way to hit someone with a racket. That meant he could hit wrestlers in ways that didn't hurt them. One of his pet peeves was people using a baseball bat and not swinging it like a bat, which looked fake.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

reality_groove posted:

Thanks!

The timekeepers just sits at ringside and rings the bell? I think I have a new career to pursue.

They're usually part of the ring crew or office. I think Mark Yeaton does stuff managing merch sellers at arenas. Ring announcers often had a similar thing. Howard Finkel was part of the office after becoming full-time announcer and Tony Chimmel is head of the ring crew.

oldpainless posted:

Whatever could be the reason for having two seperate bells?

One's gimmicked.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Hogan and Cena's Make-A-Wish stuff is great, but nothing compares to Undertaker and Kane going on America's Most Wanted to tell a kid that if they ever found the guy who injured him they would straight up murder the dude.

Big Bossman going on America's Most Wanted because he looked like a suspect and people kept calling the tip-line when he was on TV.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Matt Cruea posted:

Was Tom Zenk ever even REMOTELY over? Who thought Z-Man was a good nickname?

I remember when I was a kid, and he tagged with Rick Martel as Strike Force, we didn't dislike him. Or recognize him. Then Martel turned heel and nobody gave a poo poo about Zenk and we all watched The Model.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Because if the WWE is their own sponsor, they are losing money right?

No, it's advertising for their game. I would also guess that THQ throws some money their way.

The Goog posted:

He doesn't buy the TV commercials, but when he was doing commentary there would frequently be footage from Madden used to hype up the games. Similarly, while WWE probably doesn't pay the costs for commercials for SvR in other shows, I'd be surprised if they made THQ pay to sponsor a WWE PPV.

Madden is paid for the use of his name, likeness, and voice. He has no involvement in the games past that. Also, just to note, WWE makes no money off of commercials, at least during Raw. For Raw, USA has sole commercial rights.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Doesn't it seem counterproductive to advertise to an audience that is probably already theirs? The people buying have already seen the commercials and probably bought the game already or have decided not to. Doesn't it seem wasteful to spend more money to sponsor the PPV?

Maybe someone can explain it to me because I must be missing an obvious point or something. Does anyone know why it's a smart move finacially to do this?

You don't understand advertising as a concept. You can't just show or mention something once and assume people will buy it. You repeat it and remind people. By your logic, people would only buy a game the first week and then sales would go down to 0 because the market bought it. What happens with a successful game is a big spike the first week but sales maintain a strong position as people get around to buying it, get some spare cash, etc. I mean, seriously, I don't know how to respond. You're asking "why advertise to people who know about your product?" Just because someone knows of a product doesn't mean they're convinced they should buy it. Hell, Coca-Cola spends a ton on advertising and it's one of the most popular brand names in the world. They advertise to make people go "hey, I should buy a Coke!"

There is no guarentee WWE fans will buy their game or remember it is out. Hell, the fans don't remember or give a poo poo about the first hour of 3-hour Raw episodes. Plus, you get the Smackdown vs Raw game mentioned on PPV commercials, event advertising, and posters that people see outside of WWE TV. That's why companies sponsor PPVs, you're getting your name mentioned and shown on advertising. Hell, it's similar logic to sponsoring a sports arena, you get your product's name out there.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Not sure if I'd call Strike Force the best tag team of their era, but they were a fast-paced, NWA-style team in a promotion that didn't have very many teams like that.

I can't think of anyone who would call them that, or even in the top 10. Purely fast-paced Rockers were betterm and the Hart Foundation and Bulldogs were also better. NWA-style, they had loving Arn and Tully.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

petewhitley posted:

I was watching tapes of ECW around the time Shane Douglas made waves and IMO he was NOT a "good wrestler". I viewed him much as I would a guy like ... maybe how HHH circa-2009 would look to a new WWE viewer. There were stories (mostly ECW promos) about him being one of the greats, but for all I could see he was slower in the ring and worse on the mic (NWA belt promo arguably excepted) than the other guys in the company.

He might have been hot poo poo earlier than that, but AFAIK who the gently caress was watching him?

10 PRINT "MY rear end!"
20 PRINT "gently caress DICK FLAIR"
30 IF MATCH THEN BELLY-TO-BELLY_SUPLEX
40 GOTO 10

Pretty much all he did, with ok promos, but at the time and with Paul E. it was something different.

quote:

Pretty sure they buried the hatchet once Edge threw Lita to the curb.

I wouldn't say that, but Edge is a bigger star, his coworker, and has the same group of friends, so what the gently caress is Matt really gonna do? He already got fired once.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CM Junk posted:

Yeah, that. Not saying Hardy should hate Edge, but Edge did get the push of his life from an angle based off of a real-life indiscretion between the two, which also ended up with Hardy getting fired. Knowing Hardy, you'd think he'd be keeping a firing range on his property where he just shoots at cardboard cutouts of Edge.

Edge got the push of his life because he is one of the best wrestelers and promos in the business today and hs more charisma than Matt will ever have. Even Matt has to recognize that. If this ready-made angle hadn't dropped in the writers' laps it just would have taken longer for something to get booked.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

dusty udder smoker posted:

standard release message, with the "official" reason being budget cuts.

Official reason he was told was that creative didn't have anything for him.

Capsaicin posted:

This was during the Lita/Kane/Snitsky storyline, then Lita started getting chants and boos at her. "You screwed Matt" and whatnot.

She didn't just start getting boos. She got so much heat that she turned the monster heel who had raped and impregnated her into a babyface. That was impressive.

Capsaicin posted:

Later, Hardy did a few run-ins out of the crowd, and the cameras looked away and the announcers didn't really talk about it. Hardy got to yell out "RING OF HONOR! RING OF HONOR!" a few times, and a few weeks later, McMahon came out, said he rehired him, and Matt Hardy gave a horrible horrible promo.

Horrible is too nice. Matt took one of the biggest pushes of the past few years and completely hosed it up by showing he just didn't have the charisma or talent to be in the upper card.

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

If it was anyone else with the same kind of talent, I'd agree. But this was Edge. The guy who at the time was the definition of 'failed push' (definition has since been filled by Mr. Kennedy). They'd been pushing him since 2002 and gotten nowhere. The Lita angle probably saved Edge's career.

They'd been pushing him as a white bread kinda smarmy babyface, which everyone said was a poor use of his talent, because he was a tall blonde guy. The second they turned him heel, Lita or no Lita, he would get over.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 6, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

TL posted:

They booked a ton of gently caress finishes for Piper. They kept him hugely protected, and I don't think he and Hogan ever had a proper blowoff.

Piper wasn't protected, he refused to do jobs. There's a difference. It started when Flair went to the WWF, when he was feuding with Hogan he knew that the program was that the heel would eventually lose, get bumped to the middle of the card, and finally leave. That's just how programs worked in New York. He realized that he was good enough that if he never lost clean he would stay over as a top guy and they would keep him in a strong position. Eventually, it turned into his refusing to lose out of ego and fear it would hurt his drawing ability, but even then he was willing to put guys over if he thought it would work (Bret Hart, an angle to put over Raven that Bischoff said no to).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

The sale was announced the previous week. It leaked on March 22nd 2001, and was officially announced on the 23rd.

(The only reason I know this is I happened to listen to the WWF buys WCW episode of WOL that happened the day of the announcement. It's funny how accurate Dave and Bryan's predictions were, right down to Nash just sitting out his contract and becoming more valuable after things got stale.)

I listened to those old WOL shows a year ago and I was amazed how the callers came up with some horrible ideas that were still better than what happened. It brought back how bad the Invasion really was.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

List of some stuff I can think of wrestlers inventing or popularizing:

Ray Stevens - The over the ropes flip bump used by Flair and Slaughter, similar to Mr. Perfect and HBK's.

Harley Race - Falling headbutt (not from the ropes)

Dynamite Kid - Diving headbutt (from the ropes)

Superstar Billy Graham - First big steroid user

Riki Chosu - Scorpion Deathlock

apsouthern posted:

In Bret Hart's autobiography (thanks Cletus42o) Bret claims he invented hitting the turnbuckle chest first (something I always associated with Chris Benoit personally, not having watched many Hart matches).

Is this bollocks as I suspect it may be? Does anyone have knowledge of any wrestlers before Bret doing this on a regular basis?

This may be true. It's difficult to say that anyone invented anything, but Bret was the first I remember doing that. However, you could also say that King Kong Bundy did it too, although he used it as an offensive move.

Writer Cath posted:

Hulk Hogan invented wrestling :colbert:

Hogan invented working the crowd, promos, Vince McMahon training.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Didn't Toots Mondt invent most of the basic wrestling moves we see today? I know he basically wrote the manual for how to run a modern wrestling promotion.

He was part of The Gold Dust Trio, who began the modern form of pro wrestling and promotion that exists today. Before that, the style was more based on straight-forward grappling. However, the Gold Dust Trio did not invent working.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

His opponent (who may have also been the promoter, I can't remember), The Great Sasuke, didn't like it, and proceeded to beat the everloving poo poo out of DBK, and legitimately choked him out to end the match.

Sasuke was the promoter, it was for his promotion Michinoku Pro in Japan.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Wrestlicious actually could make money. I was listening to Meltzer talk about GLOW A while back, and appearently it did well enough on TV to turn a profit. However, they went on the road and lost their rear end, killing the promotion. Kinda reminds me of TNA, there's no way their live events can earn significant money but the TV deals make them money. All Wrestlicious needs is a distributor to syndicate them and to keep costs down, which shouldn't have been hard with indy wrestlers. Unless the dude was a dumb money mark, which he probably was.

It seriously pisses me off though. The dude won $17m and is gonna blow it. If I won half that I'd buy a house and put 50-75% in long-term investments. Hell, you can get $100k interest off $10m and live a comfortable life.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 19, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Atticus Finch posted:

It's now property of the WWE.

You are 100% wrong.

LividLiquid posted:

CMPunk can keep his gimmick and name when he leaves, but WWE can use the name in perpetuity for the purpose of likeness rights for home video appearances, action figures, and video games.

Pretty much this. Raven, Mike Sanders, and some other guys' contracts were made public when they sued WWE. It basically stated that the talent owned any names they used before signing with WWE. WWE has the right to use their name and gimmick in perpetuity when marketing anything produced while they worked for WWE, although they also have to pay royalties. In the case of Raven, it specifically listed what names he owned (Scott Levy, Raven, Scotty the Body) and what names WWE owned (Scotty Flamingo, Johnny Polo).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

The only question left unanswered as to gimmick stuff is why Nash still gets to call himself "Big Sexy", Steiner gets to call himself "Genetic Freak", and Daffney gets to call herself Daffney, as all three names were created under WCW, which WWE now owns.

WCW is it's own retarded ball of wax. My guess is that for Steiner and Nash they had contracts which allowed them to own their nicknames and catchphrases. If not, the characters of Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner are owned by those guys, since it's their real names and personalities, which may be how they get around it. Plus WWE probably isn't interested in fighting that battle.

For Daffney, I wouldn't be shocked if WCW never copyrighted her name and character. Remember, the company was completely mismanaged and contracts were insanely weighted towards the talent. They couldn't even suspend anyone without pay, which pretty well accepted as a horrible idea so of course TNA did the same thing.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Tato posted:

For the life of me, I can't remember seeing this music video, so I'd like to know when it was aired and if it was used as part of an angle. Was it played when Bret was initially coming back after his injury in the 96-97 timeframe, back when he was still a babyface and hadn't started his matches with Austin? I'd just like to know why this video was produced.

It was definetly when he was a babyface and 1996 sounds right. It wasn't for an angle, it was just a general video package and probably shown a bunch on Superstars.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Besides the WWE and the NWA, are there any of the old territory promotions still in bussiness today in one form or another?

Memphis is probably the closest thing right now. There's a connection that can be made from Nick Gulas to Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler to Cory Maclin, and Lawler was a consistant top star through all of it.

Also, NWA was and is not a territory. It's an association in which territory promoters can become members. There are three levels of promoting: local, territory, and an organization.

A local promoter is responsible for at least one town or city. They would often work for a territory. For example, Gorilla Monsoon, Arnold Skaaland, and James Dudley were all local promoters for the northeast WWWF territory.

A territory promoter runs a specific area that includes multiple towns/cities. The northeast was promoted by the WWWF/WWF, with New York, Washington DC, and Philadelphia as the major arenas. There are two sub-levels of this, independent (indie) promoters and outlaw promoters. They're basically the same thing, a promoter who is not a member of an organization. The difference is that outlaws promoted against "official" territories and indie promoters didn't. The outlaw term is basically dead, since the NWA is impotent and irrelevent.

A governing body or organization is a group of territories that work together under a recognized brand name. From the 1940s to the early 1980s the main organization was the National Wrestling Alliance. It was not a territory in itself, it did not promote any cities or areas, but the members used the NWA name and champion and agreed to work together to prevent competition in their territories. The WWE has never been an organization using this term, since it is a single company and territories could not be a member. When the WWWF left the NWA for a brief period it still promoted within it's territory and was simple independent from the NWA.

Pneub posted:

It's not "technically" the exact same thing, but it looks like WWE has pretty much claimed the heritage for themselves. I can live with that I guess.

It's not factually the same thing. There's over twenty years between the death of Championship Wrestling and the beginning of developmental in Tampa. The only connection is WWE owns some tapes and has Dusty Rhodes running it.

Captain Charisma posted:

The worst WWF: The Music entry was from Vol. 2 where Sexy Boy was a carbon copy with entirely different singers

Also, sleazy sax.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

DannoMack posted:

Can somebody tell me why Shane left his family's company?

Reports are that it's a combination of getting passed over to run the company, wanting to make it on his own, Vince took over the WWF at his age), and a blow-up that happened between him and Vince.

The wanting to make it own is considered a major part of it. Shane had tried to get Vince to buy UFC and Pride and let him run those businesses, and Vince said no. Before ECW went bankrupt there were serious discussions for Vince to buy that company and let Shane run it, but Vince took WWE's accountants advice that it would be cheaper to let ECW declare bankrupcy and then buy it. He was originally supposed to run revivals of WCW and ECW as seperate entities, but each time Vince decided at the last minute to keep them in WWE (meaning him and Steph run them). The argument Vince and Shane had, and whatever they discussed, may have just been the straw that broke the camel's back. Hell, Raven says that back in the mid 90s when he was in the WWF as Johnny Polo, a producer, and Shane's friend that Shane thought him and Raven would be the Vince and Pat Patterson of their generation.

It's also worth noting that there's a parallel between him and Vince here. At 37, Vince took over the WWF from his father. He could have kept it as a successful, but regional, promotion and been remembered as Junior, the son of one of the biggest promoters in the country. Instead, he decided to prove himself and be remembered for his own accomplishments. Shane isn't considered as driven as Vince was (partially because Vince is an obsessive workaholic), but there's a thought that at 39 he realizes he'll be remembered as Vince's son and, like Vince, wants to make his name. The other interpretation of this is that, if successful, he could come back to WWE respected and inherit the company.

The MMA rumor is pretty vauge right now. All that's known is he's a fan of UFC (not MMA), and he met with Dana White and the Fertittas. Carl DiMarco, former head of WWE Canada and Shane's friend, also met with UFC but ended up working in the Canadian tech industry. The idea has been presented by some that Shane will either work for UFC helping with international expansion or buy into Strikeforce (he can't afford UFC), but it's unfounded gossip right now.

The issue is discussed very well on a Wrestling Observer Radio interview with Paul Heyman, if you subscribe to the Observer/Figure Four.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 31, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The next week, his promo saw him acting more campy than before, and quoting Justin Timberlake instead of old school Punk music.

I'd say flaming is a better word than campy. It was very exagerated and effeminate, and even if you didn't know the story you could watch it and tell the dude pissed someone off.

Hockles posted:

How does WeaselWeaz know everything about everything?

Maybe someday I'll get the respect I deserve by winning poster of the year. Or at least coming in second to Banjo.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Hockles posted:

That wasn't rhetorical, I am really interested as to how you are so knowledgeable.

Reading the Wrestling Observer and listening to their sites interviews is usually the best way to get news (please don't start a stupid OMG Meltzer lies discussion, it's done to death and we know the arguments for and against). Sites repost some of or misquote Meltzer, so I reccomend just subscribing on-line if you really are interested. For learning how to work matches and be a wrestler, Secrets of the Ring with Raven is entertaining and educational. Of course, take his stories with a grain of salt and realize he doesn't he doesn't always practice what he preaches because he's lazy (to paraphrase Lance Storm). Also, I've watched the product for over 20 years. Wrestlers can say their "you don't know about working unless you've been in the ring" but it's bullshit. Film and art critics don't need to be directors, actors, painters, etc. to be good critics, coaches and commentators aren't always the best players, and even a general fan can tell you when a match is bad. They may not know why, but they can usually tell something is off.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Did Tommy Dreamer ever get a serious push on Raw or Smackdown? I was thinking about this, and I recall him having the hardcore title for a bit but that was it. I think he was even used as just a guy in the background in the Alliance.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Foley's contract ran out. Vince was pretty mad at Foley when he wanted to go to TNA in 2005 and doubled the offer to prevent that. I'm guessing he isn't their favorite person but they'd work with him again after TNA.

Vince took it very personally and terms are bad right now, but would likely get better when Foley's contract is up. According to Foley, he tried to explain that Vince and WWE needed competition to drive them to be creative and a real #2 promotion would help everybody. Instead, Vince felt betrayed and threw a ton of money to keep Foley but it killed their friendship.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jagtpanther posted:

Maybe his movie star was still as high as his wrestling star then?

Hogan was never even close to as big a movie star as he was a wrestling star. I have no idea how you think this was ever the case.

quote:

Still strange though - like hiring Ultimate Warrior to play a wrestler after forcing him to wear a baseball cap...

Is this just a weird, made up comparison or are you actually referencing something?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Good Listener posted:

It's probably a reference to the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior dvd. There was a point during the Warrior-Lawler feud where for some reason Warrior came to confront Lawler with a baseball cap on. It didn't make sense because, according to Jerry, no one had seen the Warrior wear a ball cap before; it just seemed out of place and silly.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxLqExPe5Xs#t=4m20s

I was wondering if this was what Jagtpanther meant, but it still made little sense with what he was talking about. Nobody forced Warrior to wear a hat, he did it on his own and confused everyone. And he talks about hiring Warrior to play a wrestler, so I figured he meant this was a TV show appearence or something. I guess it was a poorly worded random attack on Warrior.

Edit: It wasn't funny, but my problem is you made no sense.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 3, 2010

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Honestly, I don't get why the WWE doesn't have space for guys like Mick to help teach the young wrestlers the most important thing that so few are getting: How to cut a promo.

They do, it's a decision made by WWE that it is not worth investing in. Also, from their perspective, Foley is a bad example of what they want in a promo. Foley would give them good wrestling advice, telling them not to script things, how to create a character, how to sowemotion, etc. They want guys to get sports entertainment advice, how to say exactly what the writers give you.

It's like cutting OVW. They spent more money on one McMahon's Millions giveaway than the annual budget for the developmental program. They could afford to run OVW and have multiple developmental territories, to prevent guys from plateauing and keep them learning, but they choose not to and thought OVW was too "rasslin."

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CrankyProf posted:

To a certain extent, I agree with them. Talent needs to have a level of natural charisma to cut a good promo; if it's not there, no matter how much training and coaching you give them, their promos are going to fall flat. Even a small seed of charisma is enough -- it can be nurtured.

I'm not sure you read my entire post, because you just disagreed with them. WWE doesn't nurture their talent, that would be getting a Foley or Heyman to help them use it. They just go "gently caress it", hire guys who may have no charisma, and figure they'll be able to read a script like an actor without any training.

quote:

Cena has it -- it's a shame they so heavily script him, because he has the natural charisma to carry a good promo. Orton does not have it, and most of his promos are stilted and awkward. Jericho can deliver awesome promos; Kofi's promos are coming around.

Having charisma and being a great promo are completely different things. Having super charisma means there's that intangible factor that gets people's attention and makes them care. Cena uses it with his lovely promos, they're horrible but you can still watch him on TV. Bruno Sammartino had it, I've never heard him called a great promo but something about him captivated your attention when he talked. Orton has it too, he isn't a great talker and is a worse actor but he exudes confidence and it helps him get by.

Being a great promo is the next level. It's the ability to not only get attention, but use your words to convince someone to pay to see you. Flair made you want to see him get his rear end kicked for acting better than you. Jericho can make you laugh, cheer, or want to kill him when he talks.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

DannoMack posted:

That makes sense.

Partially. The main reason is that Sting refuses to work a full schedule or sign a long-term deal.

quote:

I always thought it was weird to build up Jericho's debut to the huge pop he debuted to as Y2J, then proceed to have the Rock insult him and book him to lose to Chyna.

Rock insulted him, but being in a segment with The Rock meant a lot back then. As for losing to Chyna, your history is way off. That was many months later, he had won the IC belt and ended the careers of Ken Shamrock and Road Dogg, and they were giving her a serious push and it lead to his face turn.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Web Jew.0 posted:

well I worded it like an rear end in a top hat but how come there are less "god" diva matches (relative to number of all diva matches) compared to males? They're on tv every week. How come the entire gender only produced like two great matches in the past decade?

You still worded it like an rear end in a top hat, I have no idea what a god diva match is. If you mean good, the short answer is that WWE doesn't want good workers, they want hot chicks. They could hire every woman in Shimmer and Japan but they believe their audience doesn't want that.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Generic CAW posted:

Was Ron Reis (aka Yeti) any good?
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/r/ron-reis.html

He is tall as hell and had a decent look when he isn't wrapped in toilet paper.

Reis is commonly accepted as one of the worst wrestlers ever, Giant Gonzalez level. Although he was responsible for a great behind the scenes moment in WCW where Paul Wight was getting an ego and Arn Anderson (I think) says "The only difference between you and Reis is you're getting a push."

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

The A-Team Van posted:

Why was a Yeti wrapped up like a Mummy?

The only explaination I can think of is they saw Reis doing the Mummy gimmick in SMW, but it's like asking why Shiavone pronounced it YEH-TAY. It was WCW, there is no logic.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I think it could work if its marketed more towards kids and its given a more comic book presentation, which it kind of is. Give it a cartonish polish, push the fact that it is the true family frendly choice in Pro Wrestling today. And if the inring product is still the quality it is now, you still get the hardcore wrestling fans.

Kids like edgy, that's why they were into WWF during the attitude era. Really, Chikara's best bet would be to sign a deal with G4, since they run stuff like Ninja Warrior.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Bearnt! posted:

Bret didn't really snub Vince on a handshake at the HOF did he?

Nope, that's a work. It's based on something else that happened at the HOF. Austin and Bret are talking and Hogan (who both hate) goes up to them, trying to shake Austin's hand. Austin completely snubbed Hogan, causing Bret to pop huge.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

Well, he had his Motorhead "Game" theme when he came back on 2002 from his first quad tear, and it's 2010 now...so yeah. And he had that theme well before '02, I think his themes went in order like so:

First: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RjVU3eEyKw
Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52qjx2gnaA
Third (DX) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6nx2d5q9o
Fourth (post-DX) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwjUf_rAhxU
Fifth (The Game) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mMj0qUcZbc
Sixth (King of Kings) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5glgn8rmELE

But he's been using the Motorhead "The Game" theme forever, I know since maybe late '90s or early '00s, so it's stayed for over 10 years for sure.

You're mising two thmes between his third and fourth.

Corporate Player (used while in The Corporation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OutH2e8sEAI

Higher Brain Pattern (My Time without vocals, basically)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUSH2oeTW8

There's also another version of My Time he used after The Game for a short time, then went back to The Game.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Dolph Ziggler is just a go-nowhere kind of guy.

No, he's a get-your-career-hosed-by-Rey kind of guy.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

DannoMack posted:

Why did Jericho change the Walls to a generic crab?

The Walls was really, really hard to get out of because of the angle you're held at. In addition to Jerusalem's reasons, a crab allows more options during a match since the opponent has different ways to break or reverse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I was wikitrawling the other day and found out Shad Gaspard is the wrestler's real, full name. That really surprised me, since I assumed it was WWE SOP to give a name that can be trademarked (and more importantly, that the wrestler can't take with them when they leave - qv "Chris Chen" on TNA)

Are there any other nobodys/internally developed talents that WWE has allowed to use their real names for?

WWE's decision on names depends on which way the wind is blowing. Sometimes they want names they can own, sometimes they feel that they need to use real names so they seem real. Also, when the women are on the Diva Search they have a little bit of a name to market. I am also not counting commentators/ring announcers. The list I can think of, for guys post-WCW with the company right now:

Kofi Kingston - According to Wikipedia, his ring name before WWE.
Paul Burchill - Real name is Birchall
Gail Kim
Jillian
Maryse
Melina
Batista - Dave Bautista, nobody before WWE signed him
Charlie Haas
CM Punk - However, I wouldn't count him 100% since he did have some name value from the indy scene
Shad - Shad Gaspard
Beth Phoenix
Mickie Names - Real name, but used Alexis Laree on the indy scene and in TNA
John Cone - Referee