Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I always thought this, and would bring this up in defense of Bret whenever he did/said something stupid. But then I watched Wrestling with Shadows, and he was pretty much the same guy then, with the same delusions, as he is today.

I love when he's sitting next to that doll in the electric chair and says something along the lines of,"I bought this thing.... it's the stupidest thing I've ever spent money on. What the hell was I thinking?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would love to see how ROH fans would react to the Undertaker. I imagine it would kill a great number of them as they conflicted between wanting to show disdain for the gimmick and being blown away by the quality of the wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I like the Undertaker but is he really known tremendous quality of wrestling? I mean he brings it but other than occasional big matches with HBK or something its not like hes knocking 8 snowflakes out of the park all the time.

Taker has the absolutely tremendous level of timing/sense for the crowd that only a naturally gifted wrestler with a couple of decades worth of experience could ever really have. It's often overshadowed by his gimmick, but I would rate Taker as a tremendously high quality wrestler.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PitifulLoser posted:

I have no idea where Randy Orton was at when he joined up.

When Randy first showed up it was with a Blue Chipper gimmick (in other words, he had no character AT ALL but looked good) and they had these really insipid promos about how he'd wanted to be a wrestler all his life like his Dad and how he had all the elements needed to be a great wrestler (in other words, he wasn't a very good wrestler). He DID have a really good top rope missile dropkick for a finisher though, and would do this great bit where he would slowly stand up tall on the turnbuckle before jumping off.

But then after a few weeks of this, the promos suddenly took a sharp left turn and it went from,"Randy loves wrestling and has all the elements to be a great wrestler!" into,"Randy loves wrestling and has all the elements to be a great wrestler and he gets him some mad pussy, dawg," and the promos shifted into making him into this entitled prick who got everything handed to him on a silver platter.

When he injured his... shoulder I think.... he began interrupting matches/segments with "RNN Updates" where he would assure his "concerned fans" that he was rehabbing great and they could look forward to seeing him back on tv again soon.

I've been a pretty big Orton fan pretty much from the day the promo shifted to,"And he's a hit with the LAY-DEEZ!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

müse posted:

Which leads me to a question...

Would the WWE or TNA ever open itself up to a real documentary? To see what people are really like backstage and see how wrestlers interact and live day to day?

My guess is no.

WWE allowed two backstage documentaries I can think of be made - Wrestling With Shadows and Beyond The Mat - and became upset with conflicting interpretations on what would and would not be filmed for both. Wrestling With Shadows in particular details quite clearly the Harts going over the planning for a match, inter-cut with scenes from the match itself, which I think upset Vince even more than the pro-Bret stance the documentary took.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ColeM posted:

Nah, he moved there to become a Hollywood writer... so that's worse.

I think the line I heard once was,"A writer is just an actor who is too lazy to work as a waiter."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Axissillian posted:

I prefer, a writer is just a person who is the core of the creative process and gets no respect in television and film

We're not talking about actual writers here, we're talking about the people who spend 20 years unemployed because they classify themselves as "writers" while the only thing they produce is a giant pile of form rejection letters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Happy Happyist posted:

Instead, one of the chaingang soldiers pierced Cena's side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of rapado and ham sandwiches.

Finally, with a great crack, Madison Square Garden was broken in two, and Cena threw up his head and let loose with a great wail, proclaiming,"It is don..... I WILL NOT QUIT!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From the Koko thread just gassed, because I'm still curious.

I can't find it anywhere online even as a text description, and I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined it - but I'm sure I saw a match between Andre the Giant and Koko once where Koko was flying all over the place and actually looked for a few seconds like he might actually beat Andre before the Giant finally got his hands on him and destroyed him.

This would have been in the late 80s sometime, did I just imagine it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Andre was pretty much the number one heel in WWF from tearing Hogan's shirt (those things are pristine, Hogan would never let one get torn!) up to the moment he gave all the money to the fans when he was in the Colossal Connection and pissed off Heenan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The giving away money thing was at WrestleMania in a $10,000 Bodyslam Challenge against Big John Studd (who was managed by Heenan). He turned on Heenan at WrestleMania 6 after the Colossal Connection lost the tag belts to Demolition.

Got them mixed up, I guess. I remember Haku being involved.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kentucky Shark posted:

Wasn't Rock a face at WM 17? If so, I guess that would count with Austin's heel turn at the end of the match.

I'm fairly certain I remember him being at least heelish leading into WM17 but by the end of the night, Austin had done everything he could to make Rock into wrestling Jesus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the Austin heel turn, it gave a fresh twist on his character (his body is starting to fall apart and he can't go like he used to and he's just tired of constantly raging against the machine). It SHOULD have put a ton of heat on him and made Rock into the messiah, but as said it was in Texas and people were so firmly behind him that they forced their own minds to justify his actions by deciding Vince McMahon had turned face.

WWE's fault I guess - they obviously thought Austin turning in Texas would make them hate him for being a sellout and tried to capitalize on that level of heat, but instead they got a crowd that didn't want to accept him as a heel and as a result despite some great actions from Austin, future crowds never REALLY got behind the heel turn.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TL posted:

But "funny" isn't necesscarily what you want from your top heels. The Two Man Power Trip, despite the awesome match against Jericho and Benoit, irritated me because Austin, although he was the world champion, seemed to be playing second fiddle to Triple H.

Wait what? Triple H was definitely second banana to Steve Austin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No, Triple H was (kayfabe) furious that Austin had taken his place, but Austin and Vince both convinced him that it would serve him better to work with Austin than against him. Triple H got the IC belt and the two teamed up for the Two Man Power Trip, and they worked AMAZINGLY well together but Austin was definitely the top dog.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A BALLIN LUNCH!! posted:

Question:

Why did Kurt Angle leave the WWE?

Conflicting statements (mostly from Kurt!) indicate it was something to do with him being overworked and addicted to painkillers and not being happy about the level of influence he had.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

The WWE made it seem like he was about ten days away from a murder-suicide and needed time off. The WWE was probably not entirely bullshitting for once.

Hey now, maybe the BITCH deserved it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ColeM posted:

All I know is that Warzone was terrible! It was clunky and slow. However, WCW vs NWO World Tour/Revenge were amazing and me and my buddies played for hours straight.

The followup to Warzone was Attitude, which was terrible (but I loved it at the time). All the wrestlers did in-ring voice stuff, and the Headbangers really pissed me off because when they were locked into submission moves they would go,"OW! OW! OWWW.... oh wait, that doesn't hurt :geno:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't the Oklahoma thing start with Oklahoma claiming that the women were all crap and that even a fat sack of poo poo like him could beat them, and end with his BEATING the women's champion in a match and afterwards they all ganged up and poured mustard on him, thus proving that he was incorrect in his claim that a fat sack of poo poo like him could beat them..... as long as you paid no attention to the fact a fat sack of poo poo like him did beat them....?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

grody but still def posted:

actually, it was for the cruiserweight belt, not the women's belt

He beat a woman for it though, didn't he? I'm positive I remember that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't the Jackal (Cyrus on ECW, I think?) also get lowered down from the rafters playing a piano?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grant DaNasty posted:

I can't imagine ECW affording a piano, let alone the means to lower it from the rafters.

No, I mean when he was Jackal in WWE, in charge of The Truth Commission.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The entire thing (Mr. America) was a joke and was NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER meant to be taken seriously. From the very first second of the gimmick every single person in the world was in on the joke and everyone was expected to go along with it for just the sheer fun of it all.

I loved the entire storyline and was sad that it just got cut off for reasons I was never entirely sure of (although I presume it incorporates Vince and Hogan having another falling out).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

reality_groove posted:

So, Austin was a heel after WM X7. He ended up turning into a goofy heel who would hang around with Vince and Kurt Angle backstage and sing songs. Since the WWF was being invaded by Alliance wrestlers, Vince wanted the old Stone Cold back who would stunner anyone who looked at him the wrong way. Stone Cold was upset by this and left, only to return and kick the Alliance's asses and set himself up as the leader of the WWF faction going into InVasion.

Just a slight correction to this, the old Stone Cold would also stunner anyone who looked at him the right way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tzirean posted:

And for those of you who don't understand what a hardship it is for TNT to only have had three-quarters of Law and Order's twenty-year span available for Thompson's campaign, we should point out that the loss of the Thompson episodes meant TNT had to rerun several episodes three times in those ten days.

Bah, Steven Hill or bust.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tigerdriver82 posted:

Why is it that when a wrestler hurts their ribs they bandage their waist?

To fool their opponents, who will immediately target the bandaged area, leaving the injured ribs unscathed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

If this is truly the case, then what injured body part was Test covering for when he went like eight months with that ridiculous face mask to protect his nose?

His testicles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chilly McFreeze posted:

But they only say "What's up". Coincidentally, no one knows the words to "Final Countdown" either.

Everyone knows the words!

We're leaving for Tovis!
But soon it's farewell!
We're doo do dah dee doo.
So soon who can tell?
We're something and something something.
We're leaving town!
Leaving town!
And soon you can say that we'll do it agaiiiiiiin!
IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I really don't think anybody's been a draw since Stone Cold and The Rock retired. They were the last two guys I can think of who people would buy a ticket specifically to see.

"gently caress the rest of this bullshit. As long as Stone Cold stuns somebody, I'm going home happy."

I went to a show specifically because Undertaker was going to be there and I'd never seen him live (and holy God was it worth it). I'd do the same to see Ric Flair or Hogan, both guys I've never seen at a live show before (Hogan was supposed to be at one I went to back about 6-7 years ago but hosed up his back and had to pull out).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think there is a large number of people out there today who will go to a show just to see John Cena, and almost an equal level who would go to see Batista (we mock him a lot but goddamn do people at live shows go absolutely BANANA for him, it's surreal).

Now they're not a draw on the same level of the Rock and Austin before them, but really... who ever could be? Those two were phenomenons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ColeM posted:

Back then people actually hated the Rock and wished he was not wrestling.

Actually only 62.4% of them did, 37.1% were booing him as a heel and .5% weren't paying attention and said they started doing it because they heard everyone else start.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edge also said that if he was a King of the Ring winner and his "extra special" job on the day of a PPV was to hang out at WWF New York, he would actually commit suicide.

My favorite suicide joke from Edge and Christian since their,"If JFK hadn't been assassinated he would have killed himself rather than stay in Dallas one day longer," promo from a PPV that was IN DALLAS!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Well, it wouldn't have made much sense if they weren't in Dallas.

What if they were in Martha's Vineyard?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Sort of makes me think his win was what made KotR not matter anymore.

Edge won it after him, so Billy can't even take credit for that!

Billy was just another good example of how the King of the Ring was a useful tool for giving a push to a guy ready for the main event as opposed to making a guy ready for the main event purely by virtue of "winning" it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Karmine posted:

Booker T robbed a Wendy's :colbert:

Correction, Booker robbed Wendy'ses, and the first one he robbed was the one he worked at!

AND HE WAS WEARING HIS UNIFORM WHEN HE DID IT!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

This thread is like a cauldron of racism. Let's talk about Bret Hart again.

GODDAMN CANADIANS! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AlbertFlasher posted:

When was the last time the "piledriver" used in the WWE?

I think I recall King using one during one of his one-off matches against <low-midcard heel of the month> a couple of years back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Whatever happened to Mr. Kennedy? I loved his mic skills, but the last time I watched any WWE seriously was a few years ago, and he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

He suffered a lot of injuries, made a movie that was in the tradition of Behind Enemy Lines and Behind Enemy Lines II, came back, got an immediate main event push and was promptly fired under a very confusing mess of allegations he was dangerous to work with/too injury prone/rubbed some people the wrong way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Goldberg/Triple H rivalry needed to rise, peak and finish, instead of dragging out like it did. Goldberg was a good choice to take the title away from Triple H, but he should have held onto it after that rather that it going back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The match is technically terrible, just like Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18.

Just like Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18, it doesn't matter one goddamn bit how technically terrible the match is. It makes me feel like a kid all over again watching it, two HUGE stars going toe to toe and the crowd going absolutely loving batshit over it.