Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Did anything come of WWE's alleged interest in bringing back Sycho Sid for one more run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just watching a SNME from 88 or so, and it was a battle royal. The big feud at the time was Andre/Hogan, but instead of having them end it up, after one short interaction they were kept away from each other throughout the match before Andre eliminated Hogan via shenanigans (well, hair pulling) and Andre was eliminated in turn a few minutes later well before the end of the match.

Why isn't that done more often? It protects the wrestlers since they're being ganged up on and keeps the feud hot because one hasn't beaten the other one. I was just surprised about how the heat was kept on them even though frickin' Hercules won the match.

An analogy I guess would be HHH/Cena in a RAW midcard battle royal being eliminated 5 minutes into it, only to have Christian win it. Bizarre.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thorias posted:

The only time I remember them ever actually letting anyone flash without something covering the nipples was Kat at some PPV, I don't remember which one, though.

I'm sure I remember Sable vs. Jacqueline that ended in boobs, my youtube-fu fails me though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What was the tag-team that had Andre, Earthquake/Tugboat, Akeem (or some other big-man combination) wearing black singlets and lucha masks?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What did Savage do post 1997 in WCW? (Macho Madness, Keibler, Slapping women?)

What did Lex Luger do post 1997 in WCW? (super Face vs. nWo?)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

CaptainRapesAlot posted:

So I'm watching the raw from 2/9/98 thats on WWE/24/7 right now. During a tag match vs. LOD, they keep announcing Jeff Jarett and Barry windham as the NWA north american and NWA heavyweight champion respectively. My question is, how the gently caress did this happen and why were they promoting it on TV?

I thought WCW bought out the NWA and merged titles :what:

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that was after WCW binned the NWA roots entirely and had their own WCW belt created.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How do you guys organise your video/disc collections? By year? Event? Wrestler? Promotion?

So far I've been going by Promotion/Event for WWE/ECW/WCW and Promotion/Date for ROH/Chikara/etc. - but I think I might switch to a flat Date organisation for easier cross-referencing particularly in the 90's. It seems counterinuitive but aside from a few technical masterpieces I think that the context is just as important as the actual match/event. It would make searching for a particular event slightly more difficult though - Was Wrestlemania VII in 1992 or 1991? - that kind of thing.

This is by definition a very petty question, but this is the thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 12, 2009

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Agreed, Documentaries and Shoot Interviews go separate from everything else since they tend to be on a per-wrestler basis. Essentially you organise the big-four style PPVs and compilations separately, and then rest by date?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

dusty udder smoker posted:

don't exactly care for the guy considering how many careers he's stunted and how many angles and such had been killed because "that doesn't work for the Hulkster, brother!".

I dunno, I know I asked why Austin hated Hogan - but to me this is coming entirely from a dirt sheet writer. I mean, we poo-poo "CM PUNK DOGHOUSE!" crap, but we take whatever dirt sheet writers say that anonymous insiders say from the late 90's because it's been repeated so many times it's gospel.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

dusty udder smoker posted:

only it's been confirmed by other wrestlers and austin himself that hulk hogan held him down. go hunt down a few of his ecw promos.

One of his promos on a competing federation isn't all lovey dovey over the top dog? Color me surprised.

I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but that maybe we should be mindful of who is saying the horrible things, and what they have to gain/lose.

For example, Foley making GBS threads over Flair for how Flair buried him in WCW while he was a booker, when Flair said that he was fighting for his own job and going through a breakdown, let alone worrying about another wrestler.

Now Foley could be a piece of poo poo liar, or it could be Flair backtracking - the point is that it's two appraisals of the same situation from differing sides and just immediately jumping over one of them as the gospel truth of the situation seems a little rash.

In this discussion we'd be looking for Hogan's opinion - in all honesty I don't think he vindictively held people down in WCW, even if that was the reality. Think how big he was, how huge his defection to WCW was, how big the nWo was, etc. - can you honestly blame him if he thought that people did actually want to see him instead of the unproven Austin?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 19, 2009

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

He mimicked 'Nature Boy' Buddy Rogers, I believe - but I'm not sure about the Woo, I reckon it was just part of his hyped-up promos that became iconic when catchphrases came to the fore...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Judakel posted:

By screwjob I am limiting it to things going "off script" with support from the head of the promotion or someone like that.

There's Russo allegedly turning a worked promo into a shoot on Hogan in WCW - although I'm not sure who ended up screwed out of that, maybe the fans?

Here's my question - why the hell did Hogan come out clean shaven for a period in WCW?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

This is the kayfabe reason. The real reason is he had to film 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain or some other movie that forced him to shave.

Thanks, LL - I wonder why the movie guys thought that shaving Hogan's 'stache would make sense? Maybe his movie star was still as high as his wrestling star then? Still strange though - like hiring Ultimate Warrior to play a wrestler after forcing him to wear a baseball cap...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

WeaselWeaz posted:

Hogan was never even close to as big a movie star as he was a wrestling star. I have no idea how you think this was ever the case.

Not overall, I meant as a star in low budget action movies. Reference was indeed to the wierd Lawler painting thing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cripes, I was just trying to add some topical humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got tickets to what was a Smackdown/ECW event after Wrestlemania - will it be Smackdown/Dark Matches now?