Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

WeaselWeaz posted:

JR got that over. Foley wasn't smiling, he was trying to show off a missing tooth and a hole in his lip. JR made it look less stupid, and more bad-rear end.

He really did look like he was smiling though, so it's not like JR was thinking fast on his feet and making these calculated statements- he was just freaking out and happened to have a microphone near his mouth. It was undeniably awesome though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Batmanuel posted:

I was also thinking that anything with Chris Jericho today defines the style. You know what you're getting with him: a solid, well planned, well executed, safe, exciting match. I mean, when was the last time he a)had a bad match, and b)injured someone?

I almost never find Jericho matches particularly exciting. He seems to move in slow motion, even when he's flying through the air. I never figured out how he manages that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

DM Punk posted:

Edge got thrown off the RAW stage or something a few years ago and one of the EMT guys was this guy who sounded like a cabbie from the bronx and he said "Can ya feel your toes?" It was pretty funny.

I remember the EMT being a fat black woman for some reason

Edit: And I'd further swear that she said 'can ya MOVE ya toes'

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 19, 2009

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I thought Austin had to be talked into it in the first place. Can't blame him too much, that was like getting stuck with the fat chick while Rock went home with her hot friend. I'm not trying to be creepy, that's just the best analogy I could think of.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jason Funk posted:

They were Blade Runners Sting and Rock, like Road Warriors Hawk and Animal.

Warrior was The Rock before The Rock was.

There was also that Don Morraco guy but he was a bit of a poseur

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

Quote #9

"It wasn't Bret Hart driving the monster truck nor was Sid in the car that was being run over, although both were the original plan. Hart was told what part of the car to drive over and where Sid would be in the car so as to not drive over him. Hart refused saying he wasn't an experienced stunt driver. There was no problem with his decision and he was apologized to for being asked" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 10, 2000.

:) "Don't run over the driver side"

:confused: "run over the driver side?"

:ohdear: "NO DONT RUN OVER THE DRIVER SIDE"

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 28, 2009

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ultimate Warrior would be in by any standard, if it was a voting deal - Macho Man too

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

Bret Hart is the biggest baby in wrestling in the world.

In his defense, people who hosed you over and then want to talk about it are usually only trying to make themselves feel better

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Sting was considering going to WWE when the takeover happened. He said what finally made his decision for him was when Booker T. debuted and The Rock asked who he was an treated him like a jobber.

You're the WCW champion sucker? :confused:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Batmanuel posted:

I got the idea that we should compile a list of, say, the 100 top defining moments in wrestling. If this has been done, we could always do an updated version since some recent important poo poo has happened. Would there be any interest in doing this? Has it been done? If so, what thread/s has it spawned? This might make me actually get archives.

Also, what is the irc channel? I swear I read the rules and FAQ 20 times and missed it.

Hogan slamming Andre followed by 99 arguments

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
He got heel heat quick enough when he teamed up with HHH. During their fued with the Hardys and then Brothers of Destruction, Austin was booed heavily and consistently

The Angle/Austin heel duel was too funny to really hate. The skits they did with Vince were solid gold

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The WWE made it seem like he was about ten days away from a murder-suicide and needed time off. The WWE was probably not entirely bullshitting for once.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

That refs reaction is perfect - it's the exact reaction I would have if I walked into my bathroom at 2 am and saw a giant spider on the wall

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Was Andre the biggest person to get slammed? I mean the McGuires were 750, but no one was scoopslamming them.

Viscera got scooped by Test -- in what was one of the most surprising and visually impressive God drat things I'd ever seen

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
HBK is, was and always has been full of poo poo. His religious conversion does nothing to change this, and Bret is the only guy who is willing to publicly say what everyone is privately aware of. I'm not defending the guys bitterness or obsession over poo poo from last decade but HBK is a bag of douche. Now with Jesus Fish!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

This sort of nonsense is why the WH2K wiki needs more love.

car that he wasn't aloud to drive

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Karmine posted:

Are you guys saying that, in terms of kayfabe, WWE actually wanted us to believe that the Undertaker had sent Edge to the actual realm of hell?

What did you think it was a metaphor for being beaten up or something?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

grody but still def posted:

Post some examples please. And you are insane if you think the IWC was just as big or bigger in late 99-00. Do you have any idea how much lower percentage of people even had home computers back then?

I think it was much bigger than it is now.

I used to post on all sorts of wrestling-related boards with huge populations that have been defunct for years now. The Zone, Rajahwwe forums, etc. Nowadays the only wrestling related board I even visit is this one. Everyone had a computer in 2000, but when the wrestling viewing audience crumbled so did those communities.

Come on man, by the time Sept 11th happened 01 the entire country was dealing with it online. If we were talking 94-95, I'd agree, but by 99-2000, everyone had a drat PC and they were using it to discuss how overrated The Rock is.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 5, 2009

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

MassRayPer posted:

No, they didn't.

In 1999 about 40% of American households had internet access. This jumped to 60% by 2001, and 70% by 2005.

Edit: And if you buy into the idea that wrestling fans are uneducated, keep in mind that there is a correlation between internet usage and level of education.

By your own numbers we're talking about the PC boom period, where usage jumped 20 percent in the two year span between 1999-2001. It only gained 10 percent in the next four years. To me that sounds like a pretty popular time for online communities.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 5, 2009

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

grody but still def posted:

Still far smaller than today.

We're not even talking about the popularity of wrestling among the general population in that period, are we? When a 3.x rating on Raw would have meant that half the males between 18-34 died in their sleep the night before.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I didn't see where we were talking just about the early part of 1999. I thought someone mentioned 1999-2001.

There's a pretty big difference. I checked a few stat sites and PC ownership is expected to top out at 70 percent. If ownership was at 60 percent by the end of 2001 then my argument has merit, by simply comparing the percentage of overall population that had PC's in both periods, to the percentage of the overall population that watched wrestling.

If we're just talking about the first half of 1999, then nevermind.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sting seems a decent fellow

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

CombineThresher posted:

Lance Storm is a pretty easy guy to book, provided you don't shoehorn every midcarder into a comedy gimmick the way WWE does. His UnAmericans phase got heat, as did the initial phase of his "Boring" gimmick, but then the writers had no idea what his strengths were and he floundered.

Not saying he would have been World champion or anything, but he was certainly a step above guys like Lance Cade and Big Daddy V.

That weren't a drat gimmick

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lance Storm was just another in a long line of bland but technically-proficient understized Canadians that have no charisma and can't cut a promo or sell an angle to save their mid card careers. Nothing against the guy but I don't even see anyone trying the 'HE WAS BURIED' defense, and that says something.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Matlock posted:

Shawn Michaels sang his own song because he's egotistical

Didnt Sensational Sherri sing the original?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Heres something I was just wondering for a sec - when a Mcmahon is in a PPV match does anyone know if he/she gets a regular payout? Like did Shane get paid massively for that ridiculous poo poo he let Kurt do to him at KOTR.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

crankdatbatman posted:

Is wrestling considered easier to do athletically than football? The Rock became a Pro Wrestler after his football career was cut short, and Brock Lesnar quit wrestling to try to be a Minnesota Viking. I wouldn't think that's the case since you lift people and whatnot but I'm curious.

Athletic ability is only one of many criteria for being a successful wrestler but it's the only criteria for being a successful football player. There have been plenty of wrestlers with little to no 'athletic' ability that have become successful by entertaining the fans in other ways. On the other hand, making a professional football teams roster requires you to simply be faster, stronger and more skilled than everybody else who wants that job. Kickers dont count and never will.

If the question was supposed to be 'which is harder overall to succeed at' then that's a different story.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wazzu posted:

Considering it was 20 years ago, but I keep hearing this, can somebody elaborate on why?

They had great entrance music and both of them (Martel and Santana) could move pretty good. I preferred Rick Martel as The Model, and the real dominant WWF tag team of the 80s was Demolition.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

BECAUSE Strike Force disbanded. :colbert:

They disbanded because Demolition kicked their asses too hard one night

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Most talented entertainers are better as heels

Doesnt mean they cant be cheered for, as long as the guy on the other side of the ring is an even bigger rear end in a top hat

Edge would easily be the face if he was fueding with say, Randy Orton - And he wouldnt need to change one single thing about his character

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

SiKboy posted:

It always seemed to me that angle was the top guy in WWF when they didnt have any other choice. If they had ANYONE else they thought could carry the company (Undertaker, Austin, Rock, HHH, Batista) then angle was generally relegated to second banana. It just seems to me (although I was never that knowledgable about WWE, so I could be wrong) that they didnt have that much confidence in him. His stints as the companys #1 guy seemed to be more based on the fact that he never went to WCW than the company having any real faith in him. Maybe I'm wrong and WWE just had faith that he'd continue to be over whatever they did, but it really did seem at times that WWE thought of him as "safe but dull hands" when they had no other ideas.

See, do you see?

I love Angle and Sting - but Sting's contributions are severely undermined around here and I never could understand why. Like I said before, he was the WCW equivalent of the Undertaker - everything that you would apply to the Undertaker (historical dominance, significance to fans, maybe not the most over face or main personality at any given time but always a consistent top-of-the-card presence for an amazing amount of time, reinventing himself to stay relevent) applies to Sting from the WCW perspective.

Kurt Angle is a phenomenal entertainer - he is not in Stings tier with regards to historical significance.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

FishBulb posted:

Most people here just don't care about WCW at all.

Sting was huge to WCW. Angle was pretty big I guess in WWE/F

To most people around here, being pretty big I guess in WWE/F is orders of magnitude more meaningful than being huge in WCW.

That makes a certain amount of sense. To a guy who grew up watching both promotions in the 80s and 90s though.. comparing Angle to Sting is almost like comparing Angle to Hogan. Obviously Angle is going to run circles around him in a technical (and even in a promo) sense.. but when you step back and look at it, what did Angle do for the industry vs Sting? He got some mainstream press when he signed, vs Sting keeping the underdog company viable for years until it could momentarily take the top spot. Its not comparable in my opinion. I really have to stress that I think Angle is awesome and in particular, his stuff with Austin and Mcmahon during Invasion was amazing. But Sting... it's impossible to explain especially if you just started watching in the past 10 years or so. It's literally like trying to explain the relevance of Flair or Hogan, except they seem to get the benefit of the doubt from newer fans and Sting just gets "Uhhhh gently caress him. "

Im convinced that you're right. If Sting had been in the WWE for even three seconds, and gotten one good WWE pop, he would be a thousand times more 'legit'.

I also still consider my ultimate dream match Sting vs Undertaker at Mania. It won't ever happen but if it did it would humiliate all major event matches that have ever happened, ever. Ever.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

MassRayPer posted:

Except Sting was put on top for extended amounts of time in the early 90s and bombed. The Undertaker was never expected to be a top draw, but when he had the title, he did really well in terms of house show gates, something Sting could never do. Sting's big return to win the title off Flair the first time did a loving awful gate (just over half full, about 8,000 paid) and not much of a buyrate. And from there WCW went to hell in a hand basket, and when Flair left the company just did worse and worse despite Sting on top.

I was a big Sting fan. I still like the guy. But he was a draw for two big buyrates both against Hogan that capped off an 18 month program. Before that he was popular but not a big draw and after that the same applied.

Angle, at his peak wasn't as big of a star. But his overall significance to the business may end up being bigger for one reason:

He got guys over. He put over a ton of guys and made others look great beating them. Edge would not be what he is today without the Angle feud. Cena's STFU wouldn't have gotten as over if it wasn't established against Angle.

And then there is the evil fact that TNA wouldn't have flirted with profitability if it wasn't for Angle's star power helping them get TV deals.

When Sting was at his peak he wasn't putting younger guys over like Flair did to make him a star. This probably isn't his fault since the culture in WCW wouldn't allow these things to be booked. But, it does mean when it is all over, Angle may have more significance because of the fact like Flair he did lots of jobs and made guys look good.

Has Angle ever headlined a (non TNA) PPV without a bigger star on the card?

I am really curious.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

FishBulb posted:

I think HHH would be Thor and The Rock should be Spider-man. I mean, the Rock is funny, like Spider-Man.

Also Thor sucks

The Rock is The Flash. Watch his run in during the Mick Foley/Evolution promo. He goes at least twice the speed of light.

(Plus he's sarcastic and funny and he is legitimately able to kick rear end in huge fights)

Austin is Captain America (from Earth X). He's got tons of demons and issues but God Dammit you believe in your heart that he will do the right thing in the end.

Bret Hart is Hal Jordan.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was watching Rumble vids on youtube and I remember back when the WWE used to do live lottery drawings throughout the pre-Rumble Raw or Superstars or whatever.. when between matches the wrestlers would stand in the back and a little lottery thingy would twirl and they would pull out a ball and open the ball and read their number -- and they wouldn't say it out loud but you were supposed to gauge there reactions and tell if they got a really good number or a really bad number. And Million Dollar man would start chasing down the happiest-looking wrestlers and start making offers.

Was this awesomeness just a one-year thing?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Did Rugged Ronny Garvin invent the police-outline stomping every inch of your unconcious opponent as he lay helpless? nobody else ever did that, right?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Iskanderson posted:

So, besides Sheamus, who else has won a world title on their first try? I'm pretty sure Kane and Goldberg have, and the Rock, if you want to count the Survivor Series tournament.

The Original Pale Ginger

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The biggest mystery to me in the industry will be Vinces pointless cheapness during the Invasion - He had to start things off with the 2nd tier of WCW because why, Nash.Hogan.Sting were happy getting paid to sit at home? He didn't get Goldberg until way later either. If he had given out a few million dollars to lure out some huge names at the start, it would have truly been the most epic event in industry history. Considering he was coming off the hottest era in his companies history and he was walking around with a giant erection over finally becoming a billionaire, it was even more perplexing and short sighted. Someone should do the math on how much that has cost him in the long run.

AND, capitalizing the V is loving weird and I wont do it until someone gives me a great justification for it

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

ColeM posted:

How did Hardcore Bob Holly have the career that he did?

He was pretty good*

*Compared to Bob 'Sparkplug' Holly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

apsouthern posted:

I realise I'm probably missing a really obvious example here and setting myself to look like a cock (even more than usual), but has anyone ever done a "countering a spear into a DDT" spot before? For some reason it popped into my head earlier today and it seems like such an obvious move...

Jericho countered one into a front facelock -- but that was a shoot