Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Ted DeBiase and Mr Perfect were both excellent - I loved Million Dollar Man offering a receptionist at a hospital 100 dollars for a band aid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

DannoMack posted:

Can somebody tell me why Shane left his family's company?

One of the rumors was he was going to do something with MMA

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Matlock posted:

Has a screwjob ever come out to a positive situation for the guy getting screwed?

Matt Hardy owes the entire second leg of his career and semi-main event push to being cheated on and having it become a public emberrasment

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is for old fans -

Does anybody besides me remember a crazy 30 minute esque brawl match between Warrior and Haku on WWF Superstars, back in the late 80s/early 90s? I always have this match in the back of my mind and to my warped memory, I remember it being really loving good and violent, and seemingly non stop. My guess is, now knowing these two guys better, that it was really a stiff semi shoot, but obviously I can't expect to find it on youtube or dailymotion.. am I insane, or did Warrior/Haku once put on such a virtuoso match many years ago?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

crankdatbatman posted:

All this talk about Foley makes me think: Was Foley what one would consider a "glorified jobber" (at least in WWE)?

He became that by the end, yes. When he first debut' though he was built up as a monster heel who loved pain and would fight Undertaker in boiler rooms, and his promos were just psychotic ramblings and him pulling his own hair out. Eventually when he introduced more of his personality, he became a giant jobber. The Rock by himself had two seperate returns where his main reason was to save Mick Foley from getting his rear end kicked - one was against Evolution but the other was against.. La Resistance.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has any WCW guy gone on the record as saying this is what Undertaker was doing, or is this just a matter of seeing what we want to see? I've never heard anyone accuse Undertaker of sandbagging and unless there's a professional name associated with it on record, it's just as credible as Macho Man banging 14 year old Stephanie

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Out of malice or ill-will?

I dont want a semantic argument - my question is, are these posts that are implying/accusing Undertaker of some sort of specific malice or cruelty towards WCW, are they based on first-hand accounts that none of us have somehow ever seen before? Because here's a guy that - despite all odds in this industry - has been described as nothing but class from everybody this side Adam - and he is now squashing guys from WCW out of some personal hatred or ill will? Undertaker and Kane always squashed people outside of the main event. That is their basic function, or it was until Kane got fat.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 13, 2010

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

anakha posted:

That last pic begs the following questions:

1) Was there ever any angle involving Sherri and Taker?
2) What the hell are those things over Taker's eyebrows? I got into watching Taker around WM IX, and I don't remember ever seeing those.

3) How loving tall is Sherri?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
That match was epic - technically pure poo poo, but riveting and captivating. If you're of the opinion that the 'match of the year' goes to the most memorable spectacle then it deserved the award. Otherwise nobody is going to defend it on any other merit. But the scene of Undertaker standing on the top of the cell while it gets raised, and the crowd doing the 'Un Der Tay Ker CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP' while Foley is loaded onto a stretcher. Well it was sort of cool.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

As with most of the moves in Sabu's arsenal, the Hudancarana was him leaping at his opponent.

More like. Hoping really wasnt his style.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Good Listener posted:

When was it established that Samoan wrestlers have particularly hard heads? I've always sort of wondered when that started/who started the trend.

Possibly Haku in the eighties? I know fat guys with big hair in general have been treated as having hard heads since Andre, but I think I remember a spot during Andre and Heenan's fued where he headbutt Haku and he got the worst of it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The well had really run dry with that mask anyway. It looks cool and goes with the gimmick, but when every fued becomes about unmasking him, it gets old really fast. I think the way they botched the unmasking was hilarious though - he's got tons of burn victim makeup and frizzy hair, and you just know nobody [especially Glenn] is going to go through that makeup poo poo before EVERY tv and house show.. why didn't they think that through and just have him unmask as normal, rather than phase out the makeup [re: stop doing it two weeks later and never discuss it]. That could have been explained any number of ways -- My preference would have been for Paul Bearer to admit to brainwashing him into THINKING he was scarred.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

evale posted:

I was commenting on Kane with and without the mask. I remember masked Kane being much more impressive than unmasked Kane.

Sure, age and ability have a lot to do with it, and I was just answering the question.

Masked Kane>Unmasked Kane in my book.

ed:

The picture a couple of posts up doesn't have anything apart from a half shaven head and black eye make up rubbed across his face. Was that meant to be burn marks? If not, it would seem the 'scars were in his head' angle was the one planned from the start.

I didn't even see that picture, but watching it life, yeah that was the impression. The makeup represented his disfigurement from the fire.. not some sort of temporary effect caused by wearing a mask, if that's what you're asking.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

This Kane was the best Kane. He would tilt his head and usually tug on his glove. I was in high school during the Monday Night Wars and everyone (in my group of friends and in the locker room during football) would quote Rock, Austin, and the NAO but everyone agreed that Kane was the one dude you just did not gently caress with.

Also, Demolition for the face-paint and Umaga.

I wont argue this into the ground, because I don't care enough about it.. but, I will suggest that there is a difference between facepaint and damage-paint. Kane's reveal was like a movie special effect. It looks pretty lazy in that picture, but I just remember watching and thinking 'is this what he's going to look like for the rest of his career?'. It's inconcievable to maintain. Sting or Ultimate Warrior's facepaint is allowed to sweat off during a big match.. is Kane's fire-damage-from-childhood operating under the same rules?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

joshtothemaxx posted:

How was it explained that Taker went from big evil deadman to biker? I had stopped watching by this point. I remember flipping over to some show and seeing Taker on a bike and I thought it was the dumbest poo poo ever at the time.

He came back on a bike after nearly a year out during Judgement Day 2000 - The Rock/HHH Iron Man Match.

It was a great return - one of the loudest pops of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgMu2lXsas

The vignettes building up to the return were old school Undertaker though, with three little girls singing spooky rhymes and arena lights randomly going out.

Initially he wore a long black trenchcoat for a few weeks but gradually he transitioned to denim shirt and black jeans. He explained that he did that so the change wouldn't be so jarring.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hockles posted:

That's not how over/under works.

Over/Under: I think there is a 80% chance Edge returns tonight.

93%

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

cletus42o posted:

That was because his execution of the sharpshooter was anything but excellent. It never seemed like he truly "stretched" his opponent. I'd compare it to Jericho's Lion Tamer once coming to WWE. Of course Jericho made his more of a Boston Crab (and getting rid of putting his knee in the opponent's back - used to be one of my favorite moves to do to friends cause it really loving hurt) but even then, he didn't seem to lean back far enough. Same with Rock's sharpshooter.

I always missed Rock's DDT he did where he floated over his opponent to hit it. I think Swagger did one to HHH this past Monday. Rock's was always very fluid. (I'm pretty sure it's actually called a "float-over DDT" but I could be wrong - and I think Rock's version had a unique name)

Rock belongs to a certain group of wrestlers who had a lot of promise in terms of technical ability before they made it big, and then once making it big, they stopped enhancing their movesets and even cut some of their fan-favorite moves. Some of this has to do with changing from heel to face, some of it probably has to do with facing larger opponents, and some of it would have to do with the person actually gaining a lot of muscle mass. I'd say HHH belongs to this group, too.

It's rare to find guys who actually improve wrestling-wise after making it big. The best examples here would probably be Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Kurt Angle. Of course the three of them have never really gotten that much bigger physically. They got more muscle definition, but nothing like the "transformation" Rock and HHH each went through on their ways to the top.

With wrestling games I usually stuck with CAWs but there was a particular game that I cant remember that fORCED me to use The Rock, because every time you hit that move Jim Ross would scream 'THE ROCK ROCKS THE BODY THAT ROCKS THE PARTY'. It was loving awesome. DDT THEROCKROCKSTHEBODYTHATROCKSTHE DDT THEROCKROCKSTHEBODYTHA DDT THEROCKROCKSTHE

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This was Shane in WWF Attitude.

Ok - How does one confuse Rock and Shane

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

No, I mean Shane was the commentator that said that phrase in WWF Attitude. Not JR.

Oh thank gently caress. Thought I'd gone batshit

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't think the WWE has ever abused bleeding even in the Attitude era. We can all pretty much remember the most horrific Muta scale events off the top of our heads -- Austin/Bret, Undertaker/Lesnar, Mcmahon/Undertaker, Angle/Shane. It's not a HUGE list, maybe 15-20 memorable occurances over the years where the blood is center stage. It's good that they are going to make more effort to avoid it, but I think they've almost always done a good job of saving it for special events [outside of random accidents, IE whenever Flair bursts into blood during an intense promo].

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

ToiletLaw posted:

I've got a dumb question again, and don't feel like searching through all this for an answer. It's about submissions.

I'm taking jiu jitsu to help with my weight loss and Monday I put on a single wing choke (tazmission) on a guy. I realized that without my other hand in the gi collar, it doesn't really work. Led me to think a bit.

How do pro wrestlers come up with submission moves? Do they always hurt when they do them? Are they designed to look cool for effect more than realism, or are they just intentionally applied light (like an armbar)? For example, the hold Danielson put on Jericho didn't look too painful (objectively, as Jericho sold it like amputation) versus the Walls of Jericho he put on Danielson (which looked more painful due to the knee in the back of the head/neck and Danielson was tapping within 2 seconds)

Anyways any insight on this is useful. Obviously I'll never be able to bust out the walls of jericho in jiujitsu, but likewise I doubt I'll ever see a Peruvian Necktie or Darce choke in WWE as they're effective but not very showy. I would mark out for a flying armbar though.

As a general rule, if it looks painful then it's probably painful. The Walls of Jericho with the knee in the back is WICKED PAINFUL.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lamuella posted:

he'd tried to sell it to Bill Watts years before, and Watts just couldn't get past the thought that "Couldn't I just bite your fingers off?"

When Foley tells the story he says that's the first thing Vince asked him too

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Always wondered - Is Undertaker the only 300+ lb wrestler to do the top-rope plancha dive out of the ring? I think Mike Awesome did it but he wasn't that big, was he?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Free Market Gravy posted:

They do? I mean, I'm sure some do, but Triple H doesn't look particularly tanned (anymore), we all saw that match where Kennedy's rub-on tan started running mid-match, Evan Bourne is about as white as white gets without being Sheamus, etc.

The threat of skin cancer from tanning beds is overstated anyway, but still, the only wrestlers I can think of who have been guilty of overdoing it are Hogan, HHH (used to) and HBK (again, used to).

Orton

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

In his prime, the same was said about Hogan.

Hogan's always been very nice to his fans and 90 percent of the evil things he does are basically things that any ambitious and successful person does in any walk of life. I personally don't consider him a bad person for exploiting Turners idiocy or keeping down young talent that never amounted to much even when he wasn't around. His kids are moron assholes but that happens a lot.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chilly McFreeze posted:

There was a scary incident that took place before the Wellness Policy was enacted...

I had a question the first time I heard that story - did the doctor do something unethical by discussing another patient with Undertaker? Or are they allowed to do that if a third party is in danger like Undertaker was.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orgophlax posted:

Has Vince ever been a face? And I don't mean his run as play-by-play/announcer guy, but since he's been an in ring personality? I've only ever seen him as the evil head corporate guy.

He was a face when he saved Rock here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY547sxOqfk

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The man had less than no charisma [negative charisma, he sucked, literally, charisma from anyone watching him - do you know how hard it is to even locate, let alone suck out the charisma from your average wrestling fan? He did it.], and his only gimmick was a lame rear end finisher that Kurt Angle made 1,000 times more dangerous in his first appearance. Ken Shamrock was the drizzling shits. Now that being said, he could easily have had a brief title run. It would have lasted two months at best and had he started it as a face he would have ended it as a heel and Vince would regret it to this day, but it was a possibility.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can see a difference in letting his kids wrestle [albiet Shane works a dangerous style] and letting them go out partying with the boys, snorting God only knows what random grey powdery poo poo a wasted Raven would pull out from the back pocket of his jorts

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
G.L.O.W

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Still not quite as funny as The Rock's 'Hoodrat trick you call a wife'

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lone Rogue posted:

Triple H turned himself face.

He was supposed to be a straight up heel against Cena and what does he do? Crotch chops at him. This prior to the re-formation of D-X. He was mining for face pops to try to make Cena look bad. Not to mention saying right on Raw that Cena wasn't a good wrestler.

I like to imagine that Rock was legit pissed off at Triple H during this promo. It just makes it a little more fun. Hunter was so off of his game at this point too (no pun intended).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDa4A7v3-z0

He does seem to choke on his own bile during the punchline

HHH alternates between getting way too much or way too little credit from smarks. Personally I think he's a fairly un-entertaining individual and always has been.

Talk Slow And Say The Same Thing. Say The Same Thing Slowly. SLOWLY SAME THING SAY. /HHH Promo.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Nobody knows what happened to Angle but he and Vince McMahon. Anybody else is going on fourth-hand information based on conjecture.

I thought that situation was pretty out in the open. Which ties into an earlier post about no wellness policy in TNA and me sitting here wondering why WWE seems to be the only national promotion that gets bit so often by wrestlers OD'ing or going on murderous rampages.

I'm trying to think if anything like that happened with NWA or WCW, and what the ramifications would be for TNA if it happened to Angle now.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Edwardian posted:

No love for the Legion of Doom? I am shocked.

The Doomsday Device could only be done on people that Animal could get on his shoulders - it was amazing but I have a problem with that

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Kurt Angle dropping the straps and hopping around.. he screamed into your soul

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I always thought he was just gasping for breath

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sue Denim posted:

Don't worry guys, surely he's getting to the age where recapturing your youth seems attractive son we'll have Retro-Jericho.

Topknot time, son

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

The A-Team Van posted:

What are some notable original ECW matches that featured 0 weapons and had a clean finish?

Jerry Lynn and RVD had some great matches -- or at least, the same great match several times.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

El Duke posted:

This. It's just a really good example of epic main event 80's style booking. Warrior also had really good matches against Savage at WM VII and SummerSlam 92, but it was pretty much Savage carrying the entire thing. There's no Warrior match you can watch and say that it was good because of his performance. There's always another reason it was great, and he kind of happened to be there, too.

Warrior/Haku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

falsedontentry posted:

the greatest instance of the WHAT's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmfputDqM7c&feature=related

Nope. This is much better, and it's much shorter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiqlu7oAVxE

Undertaker is the best at everything