Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I seem to remember Spike getting over when he became an evil genius who ordered the Dudleys around on Smackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really like Mick Foley. But you can't make me watch TNA. So my question is, what has he done there and what is he doing now? If someone could do a little recap, plus some postives/negatives about his role, that would be a really good read :)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been thinking about selling. Is it a good thing if a wrestler can sell really well? Sure, it makes them a better wrestler and gives us a better show, but does it make it more likely that the awesome seller will lose more and not go up the card?

For example, Cena is terrible at selling, and rarely loses. Batista isn't very good at selling and is a main eventer. I wouldn't know whether to classify Undertaker as a good seller but I want to so let's say he's an exception to the rule (even though he doesn't sell all that much).

People who are excellent at selling: Mick Foley, who lost pretty much all the time (well, since I've been watching from 2002). Evan Bourne, he mainly gets beaten by monsters. Jamie Noble, poor Jamie Noble.

And is there a relationship between size and selling? If you're bigger can you not sell as much, or even need to? Anyway I've said sell far too much and it's not even a word to me any more.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Actually that's very true, Orton and HBK are fantastic sellers. I don't include Cena 'cos he always forgets to sell whatever body part has been worked on for the past half hour.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've heard a lot of negative things about Goldberg here, like how he doesnt care for the business, getting into fights with people backstage, taking himself too seriously. But on the Rise and Fall of WCW I was really surprised to see him come cross very well in his interview segments. So what's going on here?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

The most extreme and blatant abuse of effectiveness is when an all-powerful face becomes a heel and can no longer defend himself.

And it happens every. loving. Time.

Case in point: Batista. Who ran away from Kane. God dammit.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Someone once linked a video featuring a crazy Japanese battle royale that featured the two last guys wrestling in slow motion and having weird flashbacks. Can someone please re-link it?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

This it?

Brilliant! Thanks!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The most shocking thing about that Cornette e-mail is him calling Russo a "twat". It's just not right. That's a british insult! I can't even imagine him saying that with his mouth.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yesss if they replaced JBL with Sandow Raw would improve 300%. Aww that would be perfect.

Does anyone else do Batista's machine gun entrance to dry themselves after they have a shower?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Machine gun, Lesnar dance, release the doves, yes yes yes, even the thing the Miz does, all fun to do, especially in public. Wrestling is fun.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ColeM posted:

2 for me:

Kurt angle/the rock segment from the 2002 royal rumble: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjEsDxjM5I

Hahaha that is truly wonderful.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I miss Tazz on commentary. He's poo poo now, but his French tickler song will always make me chuckle.

poo poo the French tickler song! I completely forgot about that. Wasn't it like "I'm a French man, I'm a French man!"? God that's unlocked an old part of my brain. Taz used to be awesome.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

"You people" is the polar of opposite of Cena saying "Wow we're all fired up here in [CITY] tonight!"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has there ever been a heel whose gimmick is he hates wrestling, but he's really good at it so that's why he does it? Like he insults all the fans for liking this stupid garbage hobby, but he makes tons of money so he keeps doing it?

I guess I described Brock Lesnar but you know what I mean. That's gold. A golden gimmick right there.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I hate John Cena too (the wrestler not the person ok? GOD) , and another reason is because he has never made another star. We all laugh about The Shovel, but at least he made Batista, and put over Bryan and more recently Ambrose like a pro. Austin and the Rock also put people over massively.

Cena's problem is that when he wins (which is always) it's always his stop-selling hit lovely looking finisher win Rapadooo, which doesn't make his opponents look good (this includes his US title defences recently, did he really put anyone over there?).

And when someone does actually beat Cena, like my boy KO, he doesn't give a poo poo! He just smiles, says something condescending, and then beats them again and again so no-one remembers the win in the first place. KO didn't benefit from that win at all.

In more than 10 years Cena never made a star. And that's worse than the lovely offense and screaming spots and repeating the same promo every week.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Austin walked out cos it was a huge money match that they wanted to give away with zero build on a random Raw. Like idiots. He would have put him over no question.

He went to bat for Jericho as undisputed champion. He also put over Bret Hart (StoneColdRumbleHartAttack.gif). He lost to Rock in his last match at Wrestlemania. Not a great deal sure, but I'd argue more than Cena.

I read that Cena was actually booked to go over Bryan until his elbow exploded, so that's not a great argument for him. Also Bryan was insanely popular and had become a star himself, beating Cena legitimized him somewhat but it didn't make him the same way HHH made Batista.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

He's right.

That film was loving awful. I wouldn't even know where to start. There are more plot holes than your standard episode of Raw.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can we talk about Earthquake? Wasn't he the greatest? He was SO fast, and he was a good promo, and his finisher was awesome and was kind of a prelude to the stuff you see today (tuning up the band, pounding the mat, getting the crowd worked up). Plus he was a genuinely great guy, and a real sumo wrestler! We don't talk enough about Earthquake, is all I'm saying.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's what I'm talking about, he's great! #Dilz4Days

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Quoting because this is a thing of beauty and deserves to be seen again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

This video of Cody Rhodes talking about a match gone terribly wrong with the match in question edited in there made me think about those excellent Stone Cold commentaries of his matches with Bret and The Rock. Is there any more of this kind of stuff?

This was really cool and interesting! Cody seems like a cool guy, shame he never really got his chance. I'm sure he'll be back though.