Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MrBling posted:

If I remember correctly Schiavone interviews Simmons earlier on the card where they talk about the fact that he gets a match against the winner of Vader-Sting.

Did he ever get that match? When Simmons won the title from Vader 3 weeks later, it was after Sting was injured and couldn't face Vader. Watts had a lottery in the ring and Simmons won and went on to face Vader later in the show. It definitely wasn't a planned title shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Can we once and for all get a consensus definition of X-Pac Heat? I was browsing around some awful forum either and someone said that Vickie had X-Pac Heat.

The last time this question came up, the consensus was that it doesn't exist. If it does exist it is used wrong 99% of the time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Croc posted:

Best question ever asked!

I'm guessing his boner is related to his magical healing powers.

Its like a Samson hair thing. If you stop his boner he can't heal up in 3 seconds.

So how do you beat him? Choppy choppy his pee-pee or send in Mae Young to distract him?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Havoc904 posted:

I don't know if I would call it disastrous at all. He was only supposed to come in for a full year, so they built him up during the first half of the year with wins over The Rock, Jericho, and a few other people. Then they put him as a viable contender for Triple H, having them trade the title a few times and letting Triple H get some wins.

Then I think the real purpose of Goldberg was to get Lesnar over at the end of his contract, which it sounded like Goldberg was completely fine with as long as he was getting paid. Then Lesnar wanted to go play football a couple of weeks before Wrestlemania, so they had no choice but to let Goldberg win but Austin go over both of them since they would both be gone the next day.

I think the Goldberg run in WWE went as well as it could have, he never got stale or overstayed his weekend. He was brought in to provide fun matches and get a couple of guys over in the process, which he would have done fine if Lesnar had stayed around.

Edit: He was never not getting big pops through out the whole year. I went to two ppvs in 2003 and a couple of Raws, and each time Goldberg came out the crowd went wild. These events were from the early Summer to the end of November, and I remember the pops on tv being pretty good as well.

You're forgetting that Goldberg basically sat out for a month and a half before WrestleMania. He had a structured contract that called for him to work x number of days and when that number was 1 away, he said that he wasn't working til WrestleMania. Most people would have worked that month (and gotten a daily rate based on what the contract said), but he didn't.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Do you think Rey Mysterio would have ever gotten over if he never had a mask?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Wazzu posted:

Wasn't he pretty over in WCW without the mask? He was always going to have a mask with his lucha heritage, so it's a bit pointless to ask if he never had the mask.

Not all Mexican wrestlers have masks. There isn't a specific answer to this question, but I would like to hear other opinions on the subject.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Hungry Hungry Hippo posted:

I have a question (of sorts, at least)
Back in Summerslam 2008, Undertaker slammed Edge through the ring, sending Edge to Hell, if you will. Now, I'm pretty sure...like 99% sure that at some point I read that someone from WWE Creative said that they were ready to bring Edge back, but they just needed to figure out a way to explain his return.

Then, all of a sudden, Edge returned at Survivor series and won the WWE championship and as far as I'm aware, they never explained or even mentioned his "visit to Hell" from Summerslam.

So, my actual question is: Did I miss something obvious, or did they just go all Kane on the continuity and just brought him back without explaining or even mentioning his absence?

What's to explain? Hell doesn't exist beneath a WWE ring.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
If you're going to get others involved in doing some wrestling research, can we ask about the attendance figures for WrestleMania 3. I still say that they didn't lie about the figure.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

grody but still def posted:

yet the guy who booked the venue for WWF does...strange.

Post proof or he didn't say that.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Should we start posting scans of old Observers now?

Dave Meltzer called Zane Bresloff the guy who promoted WWF live events while working on a story on WM 3 years later. He asked if the 93,000 figure was accurate. Bresloff said no, and that it was 78,000 with 2,000 of those being comps. He later faxed Meltzer receipts from the building. Meltzer has always been very consistent about this and cites him as the source everytime he's asked.

You're quoting some form of the same thing that I'm quoting here.

quote:

I think Dave Meltzer was the first one to call this to peoples attention. Here's the facts as to why it was 78,000 (I'm writing this with Meltzer as a source). First of all you have to understand that the WWF back in those days routinely lied about attendance numbers on TV to make them bigger than they were. Zane Bresloff was the man whom promoted WrestleMania III for McMahon in Michigan. He and Dave Meltzer had a conversation on the phone years later about WrestleMania III. Bresloff was quoted as saying something to the effect of that the WWF has been quoting that 93,000 attendance number for so long, he thought they were starting to believe it themselves. Meltzer asked him whether or not 93,000 was the real attendance figure, and Bresloff said no. He later sent Meltzer a fax of the official statement from the building from back in 1987. This gave the attendance as being just over 78,000 with 2,3000 comps. Meltzer had never even questioned the 93,000 number before, and the actual gate (money made from ticket sales) was the same on the fax as the number given to Meltzer by the WWF back in 1987 when he didn't even question the 93,000. Meltzer also was doing an article on WWE history where he had to research attendance, and officials let him go through records of all of their major shows (all the stadium WrestleManias, SummerSlam '92, etc.) In almost all the cases, the attendance numbers he found on the official records were different from the announced attendance figure on TV. They recently started announcing figures that weren't as inflated and pretty much accurate, starting with their big Royal Rumble at the Alamodome in 1997. Meltzer asked Vince McMahon himself why they used to inflate the numbers, because the shows were sold out themselves and the real number was impressive enough. Why add a few thousand? Vince was quoted as saying what appears on television people should consider for entertainment purposes. This actually isn't exclusive to WWE, as other forms of sports and entertainment often lie about the actual attendance to make it sound impressive. Such companies I could name as examples would be Pride and K-1. So in conclusion, the reason the WWE gave this inflated 93,000 attendance number was because they wanted to proclaim and all time indoor attendance record, and they had to beat an attedance number done by the Pope, while at the same time having an attendance figure that nobody would ever beat.

http://www.wrestleview.com/faq/?article=wwe

That's tertiary evidence, and if you have scans of the Observers, that would probably solve several questions.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

No, I am posting what Dave Meltzer says EVERY TIME someone calls into Wrestling Observer Radio and asks this question. Seriously. It has come up a lot, he answers the same thing each time. He's used Bresloff as a source on his WCW articles as well since Bresloff went on to work for WCW so he doesn't just cite him on this.

That's the problem. Only one "insider" in the whole world has claimed that the 93,173 number isn't true while everyone else sticks with it. Even Silverdome.com (which is gone, like the stadium) said the number was 93,173. If the stadium held 80,000 for football and 90,000 for religious events (with a large stage area), why couldn't it hold 93,173 for wrestling?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Quote #98

"WCW took out a huge ad in USA Today with the new logo which read "Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car", and never mentioned wrestling once" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

If you're looking for an Observer scan, start with that edition.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Fine, post a screen shot of the site.

And he isn't the only insider who claims it, have you seriously not heard anyone else claim the figure is fudged? And do you find it that hard to believe it is fudged? In pro wrestling, a business this loving ridiculously sketchy? Even real sports teams fudge their attendence figures, for regular season games the Yankees would report the number of tickets sold if a bunch of people didn't show rather than the number of people in the building. PRIDE would fudge numbers for its events. It happens alot.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060410081447/http://www.silverdome.com/

The whole story begins with that conversation with Meltzer. That is the source of this legend and everyone else is just repeating it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

grody but still def posted:

so you're saying dave meltzer is flat out lying

I'm saying Zane was wrong/lying. He was working for WCW at the time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Wait, the Pope's visit was AFTER WrestleMania 3. Why would the numbers need to be higher than an event that hadn't even happened? Also, the Pope's visit was larger than WM 3.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/69939-the-93173-debatemy-take

I blew up the picture as much as I could and without looking for a specific number, I started counting.

There look to be 28 equal-sized rectangle blocks of people on the floor (6 rows of 2 columns at either end with 2 on each side) and 4 pyramid shaped blocks around the ring. I counted each block to have 15 people along the bottom edge and 25 people along the side. For the pyramid, it appears to be wide blocks wide at the base (60) and narrows down to what looks to be the same number at the top as the block (15). I counted 11 rows and made each row have 5 more people.

That makes 28 blocks of 375 and 4 pyramids of 375 for a grand total of 12,000 on the floor.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

HHHH posted:

Speaking of WM26, anyone ever see a wrestling event at a football stadium? I'm looking at the $150 range, which appears to be the cheapest floor tickets (i.e., back rows of the floor). Given the choice between back of the floor versus front of the lower level, which is better?

Unless you're in the first few rows, you're better off not being on the floor. You'll be spending more time watching the big screens than the actual ring.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

FishBulb posted:

This is what Wikipedia says.

The original plan for the main event was the long awaited bout between Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan for the WWF World Heavyweight Title. The two had wrestled against each other in several house show matches and a televised tag match but never in a big money bout. Rumors persist that the 1990s "Steroid Scandal" forced a change in the main event booking. However, this has never been confirmed.

The WWE's website on a page of Wrestlemania facts also claims that Hogan's match with Sid was his 'retirement' match, which I don't really remember them billing it as at the time but that was like 20 years ago so my memory is terrible.

I'd say it seems likely they changed the main event for some reason.

Also, I don't think Ric Flair would have cared about jobbing to Hogan.

It was definitely a retirement match for Hogan. There was a sit down interview with Vince before the show where Hogan said that it would probably be his last match. After WrestleMania 8, Hogan was gone until January of the next year.

That's also the reason they had the Warrior run in at the end - to transition away from Hogan and have Sid feud with the Warrior. Too bad for them that the Warrior was gone by the end of the summer and Sid was gone pretty much after that match.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Vilkata posted:

I could see them doing HoF at the Jobing.com Arena, which is right next door to the University of Phoenix Stadium.

If it was at the Jobbing.com arena Al Snow could finally get in the Hall of Fame.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Man, remember when the Boogeyman used to smash clocks on his head?

What about Little Boogey? That match they had against Finley & Hornswoggle sure was something.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I think a big thing is that they don't want to be seen as profiting off of Benoit or the Benoit tragedy (only Scott Keith can do that). It really sucks because there are so many "historical" events that Benoit was involved in but if just one reporter can spin a DVD release into a story about how the WWE is making money off of Benoit, it could be a pretty bad situation.

Also, there could be a possibility that Nancy's father could sue the WWE under the Son of Sam laws (which would be a stretch, but not totally inconceivable).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_sam_laws

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Captain Strange posted:

Is it pronounced DEgeneration X or deGENeration X?

The emphasis is on the D in DX.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

AKA Driver posted:

Was there any explanation as to why during the early part of the 2000s, the WWE shifted the Raw announce table into a semi-orchestra pit up on the entrance ramp? Just trying something new? Wanted it to be more like a press box at a baseball game? More room for the Bikertaker to do donuts around the ring?

I wasn't watching continuously then and I understand there's precedent (it always felt like Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan were up in the nosebleeds when they'd show them during Royal Rumbles), but it always looks weird when I catch clips that have the table back there.

Since they are watching the monitors anyway, it was probably done so there would be more room around the ring for out of ring action and for editing purposes.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What current WWE and TNA roster members are future WWE Hall of Famers?

HHH, HBK, The Undertaker, Jericho & John Cena are locks. Anyone besides them?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

tigerdriver82 posted:

OK this is a long shot but,

I remember watching a wrestling match when i was a kid, say about late eighties, where Mr. T and somebody else were wrestling the killer bees. The end of the match was the Bees going under the ring and coming out in their black hoods and whips then whipping Mr. T, who then got taken away in an ambulance.

Now did this is happen.
I am confusing details.
It may have not been Mr. T but another black wrestler.
It was the killer Bees though, who else wore black and yellow trunks back then.

I remember piper whipping Mr. T with his belt, so it wasn't that.

Its been driving me crazy for while now because i swear this happened

I doubt it was Mr. T because the Killer Bees and Mr. T were faces. Also, I don't recall Mr. T wrestling on a card except for the first 2 WrestleManias.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The bloppy guy was Big Daddy V.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Perry posted:

Thank you all. I had this thing in my head where a super heavyweight - I wanna say Brock Lesnar - launched an SSP half a rotation short and landed on his neck, ending his career, but I just googled Lesnar and he's in MMA at the moment so he's still able to use his legs. Who was I thinking of (and erroneously thinking that this made the move a banned move) then?

It was Brock at WM 19 but he didn't get paralyzed, just dazed.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Grant DaNasty posted:

Something just occurred to me about Sheamus and his title shot. When was the last time there was a number one contender in a PPV main event that doesn't have a t-shirt or any merchandise?

Bob Holly? Faarooq?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CrankyProf posted:

I stand before you, Wrestlehut brethren, in shame.

In Target this afternoon, my son asked for John Cena pajamas. And I bought them.

I feel dirty.

Does your son know that when he wears them, you will in fact be able to still see him?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

An odd question: When was the last time Cena actually SAID "You Can't See Me?"

It's weird, because it's his catchphrase and yet it feels like he hasn't said it in forever.

He wears the shirt with the saying on it, it's in his entrance music and he gets the crowd to say it in basically every match.

It's kinda like how DX stopped saying suck it - they just had two words for you.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Wazzu posted:

Most requested (hogan) is very different from the person who fulfills the most wishes (cena).

Well that's kinda sad for the kids who think Hogan is coming to see them.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Tito Santana teamed with Martel to make up Strike Force. You're thinking of the Can-Am Connection for Zenk/Martel.

The Can-Am Connection broke up when Zenk learned that Martel made more than him and quit. It wasn't long after that that Martel teamed up with Santana and became Strike Force.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

They disbanded because Demolition kicked their asses too hard one night

But they broke up one year after Demolition beat them for the titles. If anything, it was Tully & Arn that kicked their asses too hard that night.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

dusty udder smoker posted:

if tito were 10 years younger and debuted 5 years later, he would have become a much bigger star.

He was a 2-time IC champion in a time when that meant something and a 2-time tag champ. I would argue that he was a pretty big star for his limitations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Pneub posted:

drat, a 6-9 record?! Mr. Wrestlemania my rear end.

How many of those matches were the best of the show?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Almost all of them. Or if they weren't the best, they were really, really good and you could still have arguments about whether or not they were best.

So it sounds like he may be Mr. WrestleMania, then.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat, and second, was Shane Douglas ever really considered a good wrestler?

In his first WWF run and his WCW run where he teamed with Ricky Steamboat, a lot of people saw Shane as one of the young guys who would someday be on top. He definitely had a lot of potential and his matches with Steamboat definitely protected him. I don't know if he was "good" but he definitely had potential.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DemolitionDestroyer posted:

With all the talk about Hogan joining TNA and questions being raised regarding his role in the company, it brought to mind the start of his run in WCW:

There was roughly a year and half gap between Hogan signing and Nitro debuting on TNT where WCW Saturday Night was the company's flagship program, yet I don't remember Hogan ever appearing on this show. I remember back in those days it was rare to see the world champion wrestle on regular TV, but Hogan in particular seemed to only show up for the PPVs or pre-taped interview segments until Nitro began.

I know the Monday Night Wars changed the way promotions use their talent (less jobber matches, more PPV-calibur main events on free TV), but I don't remember ever seeing Hogan wrestle a TV match in the WWF or WCW unless it was a special like SNME or Clash of the Champions. Was this part of his contract or just the bookers way of building interest for his PPV matches? How often did he wrestle on shows like Superstars or WCW Saturday Night?

I don't recall Hogan ever wrestling against a jobber on TV. He would always wrestle someone with some sort of name value, even if that person was one step up the ladder from full fledged jobber. I remember him on Superstars once or twice, but he was usually on Prime Time Wrestling. I'm not sure about WCW Saturday Night, but when that was their flagship show, he would have had to wrestle on there, right?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Did John Cena have any wrestling experience before going into the WWE and OVW?

He was The Prototype in UPW, which is basically a wrestling school that runs shows. They were featured in a documentary on The Discovery Channel and another wrestler on that show was Victoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Can somebody recommend great matches that don't hit the 10 minute mark? Looking for short matches like Big Show vs Brock Lesnar or the Angle/Orton/Rey triple threat at Wrestlemania 22.

I believe that this match between Scott Steiner and Ric Flair was given 4 or 5 stars and is the shortest 4 or 5 star match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cpm4W-2RYw