Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

It's so predictable, but with Paul E. at the helm it would loving work.

Did you just call a feud you totally crafted by yourself without any basis in reality "predictable Paul E."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

CombineThresher posted:

Plus, as much as I hate to agree with Kevin Nash, WCW's parent company going down the shitter had way more to do with the death of WCW than anyone's booking did. Russo did make their TV unwatchable from pretty much the moment he got the book, though.

Which is what the book completely admits

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

WeaselWeaz posted:

So, if the AOL merger hadn't happened and Turner was in charge forever WCW may not have died. However, if WCW had better ratings, better contracts, and better booking it could have been a profitable business. Then Kellner/AOL/accountants would have looked at the company and seen black :eng101:, instead of seeing a trainwreck and dumping it.

Correct me if I am wrong but did WCW ever turn a profit?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
I would decry Married with Children as being juvenile sexist garbage meant to appeal to the sense of humor and intellect of the lowest common denominator of American Society but then I realized this is a forum discussing Pro Wrestling

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

WeaselWeaz posted:

I remember this being the reason that got leaked, that Vince doesn't want the focus off the superstars. Vince changes his mind on a daily basis, though. Remember when he wanted it more serious, with refs calling matches as a shoot?

Flashing back on the WCW dvd, I loved when Nick Patrick and Jim Cornette almost got into a fist fight in the middle of a Midnight/RockNRoll tag match

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

WWF had a female ref. Vince "raped" her and she filed for harassment. Odds are we wont be seeing a female ref in WWE again.

Nothing says showing deference to alleged sexual assault like the quotation marks.

Keep it classy Wrestlehut

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

I mean nothing by it. Here's what Wikipedia has on it.

I can dig it, its just that using quotation marks sounds like sarcasm or suspicion of validity. Alleged would probably be better to use.

Axissillian, the only feminist with an rear end for an avatar

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Judakel posted:

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader Summerslam '92
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4aos7_shawn-michaels-vs-vader-wwf-title-m_sport

Couple years of their sparkles :ssh:

Really, any American main event that was ______ vs. Vader counts.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Vader, inducted by Jesus Christ
Sting, inducted by Vince McMahon
Mick Foley, inducted by his doctor
Braden Walker, inducted by Barack Obama

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
The biggest problem with inducting Owen to the hall of fame was that he never did anything worthy of being in the hall of fame except for taking one hell of a bump in Kansas City.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

We got Pete Rose and William Perry in the WWE Hall of Fame. There is room for Owen.

Well of course there is room. Dude is flat as a pancake at this point. You could slide him under the rug.

*is assaulted by Scott Hall*

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Rusty Shackelford posted:

At some point, wounds will have healed and Owen will be inducted.

I just fail to see why Owen would get inducted despite his death when the only reason to get inducted is his death.

He never main-evented, he never drew, never held the world title, his only memorable matches were against Bret, and by that point in his career he was a comedy buffoon and not likely to improve.

If he hadn't Foley'd from the rafters in 1999 his career accomplishments would have been: famous brother, some good matches, the white guy in NOD.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
The best Owen Hart moment was the Dungeon match.

Also, HulkaMatt, requesting that since CC is starting his usual "You know nothing idiot" posting and the vanishing routine, that we make CC follow this argument to its conclusion under threat of probation.

poo poo and runs are not acceptable in other forums, they should not be acceptable in ours :colbert:

-this message has been paid for by the Axissillian and Catherine C Macarthur Foundation for Good Posting-

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Jerusalem posted:

Bret Hart has a lot going for him even today, top of the list being that he is not Kurt Angle.

I dunno, the longer Kurt is gone from the WWE the more remorseful and humble he is about his shortcomings there.

However, with Bret Hart, at this point he singularly carried the WWE in the 90's and once slapped Jesus unconscious with his dick.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

CombineThresher posted:

What's overlooked with Bret is how amazing the WWE video editing guys are, as they made him look and sound humble throughout his entire DVD set.

I...thought Shawn was... a worthy... opponent... I would like... to... SWEET SWEET CANDY...

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

apsouthern posted:

That's the thing with Malenko, I hated him in the WWF/E because there was nothing likeable about him - I've since gone back and watched his WCW and ECW matches and the guy was great.

Dean in WCW had the "Taz Factor"

As in, if you saw him in real life he would be silly looking for how tiny he is but behind good directing and wrestling he looked scary as hell on tv.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
What were the notable feuds and storylines of pre-World Champion Ric Flair?

Both his DVDs skip right to his first title run, and I was always interested in the matches and angles Flair had that made him a contender in the first place.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Judakel posted:

Wikipedia says Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Mr. Wrestling II, Jimmy Snuka, Greg Valentine, and Buddy Rogers. Ax is lazy.

I have been two weeks without a probation and thats a good run for me so I will be very polite but I wanted more information than a paragraph on wikipedia.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Karmine posted:

Plus, and this is kinda hosed up but, Brody's story kinda makes the business look sleazy.

Look I'm a progressive guy but "got stabbed in Puerto Rico" probably doesn't send the message Vince wants to send.

I dunno Carlito is a heel right now

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Iskanderson posted:

"I stick a knife in the stomach, of people who don't want to be cool."

Remember, this was an actual 2004 Smackdown angle with John Cena

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I think it has more to do with the decline of tag team wrestling in the WWE than anything.

I think what always hurt tag team wrestling was the brand split. Your rosters were too small to allow you to book several teams for each brand.

Now that they have one tag title again its better because you have several teams currently in contention like Jerishow, Cryme Tyme, Legacy, MarkVP, DX, etc.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Honestly, at this point I think Montreal like the rest of the Wrestling World does not give a poo poo about Bret. Its just one of those things that has become part of the wrestling shows and the crowd loves being a part of it, hell Shawn does too.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
So here is a question, how many times on wrestling have their been actual depictions of attempted murder. Not someone almost killing someone in the ring, but in the storyline someone performing an act backstage that served no purpose other than to legitimately try and kill someone else.

I can think of Stone Cold getting hit by the car, and the Undertaker and Paul Bearer trying to embalm Stone Cold alive.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Jerusalem posted:

I think the line I heard once was,"A writer is just an actor who is too lazy to work as a waiter."

I prefer, a writer is just a person who is the core of the creative process and gets no respect in television and film

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Jerusalem posted:

We're not talking about actual writers here, we're talking about the people who spend 20 years unemployed because they classify themselves as "writers" while the only thing they produce is a giant pile of form rejection letters.

Oh, yeah, those dudes

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Blinkman987 posted:

Can anybody list some figures for what some wrestlers (curtain jerkers, midcarders, and main eventers) pay for health insurance?

Edge, Christian, Chris Jericho, Tyson Kidd, DH Smith, Natalya, Gail Kim - $0

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Batmanuel posted:

Please elaborate on Andre as a heel. I'm having a difficult time picturing it.

WMIII

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Here's a New Age Outlaws incident I never understood

I remember during one match when the NAO were having their DX face title run, they did a PPV against the heel Headbangers.

The match was the Headbangers dominating the match cleanly, without NAO getting in any offense, and just when Mosh was about to wrap it up, Billy came in and hit him with a boom box for the DQ.

It was so weird because it wasn't a heel turn or anything. It was just a match where the faces were destroyed by the heels cleanly, got a DQ to retain the gold, and went home.

They didn't even continue the feud, that was it. It just reeked of Russo.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Karmine posted:

I've actually been wondering about the specifics of stuff like that lately as well. Like, why do the Dudleys have to be called Team 3D now but Booker T is still Booker T etc?

Dudleys were an ECW copyright that transferred to WWE ownership while Booker T was the creative property of the wrestler.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

It's also because Booker T is pretty much his real name. His middle name is Tio.

Well yeah, you cannot trademark a real name.

But similarly, the reason Christian went as Christian Cage in TNA was because he worked in the Indies under the name so he could avoid the WWE trademark for Christian

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

TL posted:

Nope. ECW never thought to trademark the Dudleys. No one did until WWE did.

That makes no sense. The Dudleys could still use that name though because they had it before the trademark.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Would you want to bother taking the WWE to court or just change the name and move on?

Considering how much money the name is worth? Go to court.

It would not go to court though, its a total loss for WWE

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Judakel posted:

The Dudley name is worth nothing by itself. What the hell are you talking about? The legal fees alone would cost more than what the name would be worth and the WWE owns all their best matches anyway. What are they going to do, make the money back in T-Shirt sales?

You are a fan who has not watched wrestling in years and see a flier for an Independent Show

MAIN EVENT: Team 3D

"Who are they?"

MAIN EVENT: The Dudley Boys

"Oh gently caress, I am buying a ticket"

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
This is all beside the point, the Dudley name was trademarked by ECW and was their intellectual property.

If it wasn't, they could use the name and there was nothing WWE could do about it.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Its ridiculous, the casual fan knows who the Dudleys are, they would not know who Team 3D was unless they saw a picture

It would be like saying the name and gimmick Hulk Hogan means nothing and he could make just as much money and be as big a draw as Terrence Bigguy

The Dudley Name is a draw

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Put yourself in their shoes - they might have the right to use the name, but by suing the WWE, they would burn that bridge forever. Also, they might lose and would be out a lot in legal fees.

They probably decided that changing the name would allow them to work right away and make money, plus it would leave the door open for a return at some point in the future.

But they are not the only people to do it

-Warrior won by proving he used the "warrior" name and gimmick before WWE trademarked it
-Christian went as Christian Cage because he went by that name before the WWE trademarked "Christian"

All the Dudleys would have to do is show in court with a videotape where they are "The Dudleys" from before the trademark and they win.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Dissolusion posted:

I remember reading a while back (wiki corroborates, but grain of salt etc) that they tried to fight legally, but were unsuccessful by the time they showed up in TNA, so they went with Team 3D (and apparently also tried to trademark the name Deadly as a replacement).

They tried to fight legally but they couldn't because they didn't own the name. ECW did and WWE acquired the intellectual property when they bought ECW.

you have to remember, The Dudleys were not originally Bubba and D-Von. Bubba and D-Von were given the names after the "Dudley's" were established. ECW had the trademark, and gave them the gimmicks. They never owned the property, the company did and it went to WWE

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

triplexpac posted:

I am bringing this up to say that I don't think the Outlaws were part of DX when this happened. This was when the Outlaws were the champs for the first time, when DX was HHH & HBK. They cheated all the time back then, I don't think they won any matches clean for a couple months straight.

I don't think its that because the first wrestling show I ever watched was when NAO joined DX.

Also, they said "If you don't like that, we got two words for ya"

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

The Croc posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGd2WNAw5U

well i found a match with him and The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea who was another wtf wcw idea.

Its like a Rob Conway entrance that never ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

FishBulb posted:

Yeah but I don't think that was ever really all that enforced.

It was a midcard belt with a different name.

It also used to be that it was defended under a certain "tv-length" time limit.