Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's also worth mentioning that a deathmatch can actually be wrestled with psychology and in a really smart way. Japan's had this covered for years, and in fact the first match that opened my eyes to this was a women's exploding barbed wire match where they *GASP* actually TEASED the big spots for 15 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

My understanding was that it was someone posting a "quote" that was based on things that actually WERE in the biography, but put together in such a way to make it look as bad for Batista as possible.

I grabbed MELINA'S can and then I touched her sweetcan and then I can with her sweet sweet sw sw sw sweet can

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

WeaselWeaz posted:

It was 75% shoot. Once Bart Gunn beat Dr. Death, who was supposed to win, they realized they hosed up. They then made it a work and had Bart win.

I have never ever heard this. Anywhere.

And it's also retarded. If it were a work after Bart had won, don't you think they would have picked someone else? Anyone else? Someone who isn't BART GUNN?

Regardless, it was loving stupid. They were trying to get Dr. Death, a guy who could do real wrestling, over. So they book a SHOOT tournament where you box :psypop:

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 15, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

I think the NWO's final death is incredibly apropos: Vince McMahon walking out and saying, "Yeah, I'm done with this", as if he was in control of it all along.

Vince should just do this with every failed angle. It'd be like The Gong Show. They'd have some segment, he'd come out and just say "Alright, get out of here, you're done."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah but I'm saying Vince should do it when it's clearly going nowhere, not years after the fact.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dewwy posted:

Why didn't Brandi just rip it off like any good wrestler?

Apparently he actually did. I think a year or two ago Del Wilkes actually surfaced and said "That whole 'He sold it to me' stuff is bullshit."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite moments of 2000-01 WCW is this promo Page and Nash cut when they were a tag team. They were in the ring cutting the promo, but there was clearly this light above them that was swinging back and forth. They kept getting distracted and looking up at it and it was the most hilarious and surreal loving thing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

WeaselWeaz posted:

Decades? WCW only existed for about 13 years. Not even a decade and a half.

I think he means WCW/NWA

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's because I don't really watch WWE anymore, but how many times in the past couple of years has there actually been a reason for a title match other than "Welp, guess I'm next in line."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

At some point, wounds will have healed and Owen will be inducted.

Yeah, totally. I'm sure Owen's widow and kids will just plum forget one day that they basically murdered him and allow the ceremony.

jeffersonlives posted:

He had a ***** match (Observer rating) in the main event of SummerSlam. Owen was an occasional main eventer from 1994 until his death and one of the best workers of the era. This is a Hall of Fame that has Vince's loving limo driver in it.

This, and had he survived, he surely would have eventually had a feud with Benoit that would have been great.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 7, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Honeymoon posted:

No they didn't. You're retarded.

Yes, "criminally negligent homicide" is no longer homicide, folks! You heard it first, from Honeymoon, who I assume has an "in" on the Supreme Court!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do you guys really have that short a memory? Orton failed as a face because he was set up to fail. The smart way to have him turn would have him continue to be heel for months as HHH said he was cool with it but secretly was filled with rage and jealousy, leading to the WM main event.

Buuuuuuuuuuut this is WWE so they had HHH turn on Randy and they had their big WM main event at Unforgiven. They even had the WM ME staredown.

Evolution was a crutch for HHH to keep winning without having to go over clean and for him to have his own Horsemen and it succeeded doing those things. If they really gave a gently caress about the future of the two "young" (Batista is like 86) guys, they wouldn't have written Orton's turn over 5 minutes during lunch.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

WWE's fault I guess - they obviously thought Austin turning in Texas would make them hate him for being a sellout and tried to capitalize on that level of heat, but instead they got a crowd that didn't want to accept him as a heel and as a result despite some great actions from Austin, future crowds never REALLY got behind the heel turn.

I hate the revisionist history/misinterpretation that has floated around for years.

The Austin heel turn would have failed EVERYWHERE. The guy, the most popular in the company btw, was out for a goddamn year. NOBODY wanted to boo Steve Austin. WWE's fault, but not because "Oh it was in Texas! They would have gone along with it in Tampa or Seattle!" It's their fault because they were being booked by some stupid spoiled bitch who doesn't understand what works and what doesn't work.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I could never really say 3:16 started the era. They still had their terrible rear end shows for a good year with stupid gimmicks and bad angles, except without any raunchiness.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The New Age Outlaws were never good so I'll let you guess

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The TV Title existed before the 90s, guys.

On the old NWA shows on 24/7 they have TV Title matches. I believe they had a 10-15 minute time limit, too.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
X-Pac Heat is when a heel turns face and he's still booed months after the facts you dummies. Nothing about your stupid :smug: SMARKS ARE PROJECTING crap.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They had like 4 matches in 2005

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Goldberg run is as simple as WWE not understanding how to book Goldberg and them arrogantly thinking he could get over if he just wrestled their style.

I'd argue the 2001-04 period for WWE was the most disastrous period in their history just because of all the potential money they flushed down the toilet. The mid 90s have an excuse in that they really had no prospects for the future.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tato posted:

I think it's so weird that the monday night wars were raging so hot that both promotions opened loving restaurants. Did anyone on this board ever get the chance to eat at WWF New York or the WCW Nitro Grill? I'm interested to hear about it, because most of the reviews I've found were really funny in how bad the service was at both joints.

The pictures of the WCW Grill on this page make it look one notch below a Chuck E Cheese. Alas, I'll never get the chance to order a "'Wooooo!,' a frozen fruity Absolut Vodka drink."
http://www.24wrestling.com/index.php?id=extras/531

I went to WWF New York a bunch when I was a kid. I'd probably consider the food to be subpar now, but I liked it a lot, particularly The People's Sundae, which was a sundae on top of a giant, warm chocolate chip cookie. They really didn't have that much memorabilia. The restaurant was downstairs and the upper level was a huge store. There was an arcade thing with the Royal Rumble game that was out on Dreamcast around then, and lots of chain link fence.

Oh actually now I remember they had handprints of Andre the Giant. That was pretty cool.

Also I don't remember any bad service but I always went on weekends and never on, say, a Tuesday night.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 7, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
ECW was never going to succeed but it's amazing how they pretty much set it up to fail immediately.

Although really after the Invasion you can never say that about any WWE venture.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ColeM posted:

Speaking of terrible championship reigns, which was more terrible: Triple H's 2003 super reign? Or, John Cena's Reign of Doom?

Nthing HHH. Cena, as unpolished as he was back in 05-06 still had potential and could be carried to a hell of a match. HHH in 2003 was obscenely bloated due to a combination of steroids, laziness due to the fact he knew he was untouchable, and PB&Js. All of his matches suffered because of it.

Plus you could argue a babyface is supposed to be dominant whereas a chubby, boring heel wiping the floor with his popular competition and talking for the first 20 minutes of every show isn't exactly the greatest way to convince fans to come back for more.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
At the peak in 99-00, Raw would get high 4s and 5s, but consider that it counted less people than now so the drop in viewership is greater than what appears on the surface.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

Yes, the drop is uch less than it appears. But overall there is still a drop with less kids, and less 18-35s watching now than then.

Yeah, I forgot to elaborate. The big drop was in 18-35 males, which is essentially the golden goose for advertisers.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes, it was still pretty awesome up until about after Wrestlemania 19 or so.

We must not have watched the same TV. The rest of the PPVs in 2001 were decent, but TV sank to depths not seen since...well, 1999...and 2002 was a loving horrendous year. Awful TV and only 2-3 PPVs that were watchable. 2003 was decent, but that's only because Smackdown carried the load for Raw's poo poo year.

Nobody mentioned it, but WMX7 is considered the end, because EVERYTHING started falling off a cliff after it. TV was already going down fast since Stephanie took over as Head Writer, anyway. However, once The Rock left, HHH and Austin had to finagle something watchable out of Kane and The Undertaker, who were both absolutely wretched to watch in 2001, and the midcard started to deteriorate in quality. Then the Invasion happened and we all know how that turned out.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know if the HHH angle was planned from the start, but it does seem like it was spontaneous. Undisputed Champ Jericho before he got involved with HHH was pretty much a completely different character.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CM Junk posted:

WM21: Arguably the best match of the card

I have never seen anyone argue that. Angle-Michaels and MITB1 were much better.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They've had their own games be sponsors plenty of times.

Also Tom Zenk on Wrestling Observer Live from the beginning of the decade is hilarious.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tito had a really great feud with Greg Valentine in the mid 80s I'd advise anyone unfamiliar with either to track down. 24/7 ran an LA house show from like 1988 a year or so ago with them on it (the actual feud was in like 83-84 btw) and it was loving great. They just beat the poo poo out of each other.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Matt's problem is that he picked up the phone at the first ring when Vince called. A guy like Hogan or Nash or HHH would let it ring until Vince was essentially promising the world, because that's what Vince does. If he can't get something, he REALLY wants it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Actually I don't think signing Sting was big to anyone but TNA fans.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

Bret Hart is Hal Jordan.

In brightest day, in blackest night,
No screwjobs shall escape my sight
Let those who worship Montreal's plight,
Beware my power... The Hitman's right!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember it being documented in Death of WCW so it definitely happened.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

AKA Driver posted:

There is SOME sense to that, however. A standard 9-to-5 worker probably wouldn't be working on Thanksgiving, or on the night before Thanksgiving. And a lot of places are closed on that Friday, too. And kids especially wouldn't be in school then, either. Taboo Tuesday was just some Tuesday in late October.

Edit: VVV Yeah, I can see that argument VVV

Also wrestling on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas used to be a huge tradition around the country. It's even more insane when you consider how long guys back then were on the road.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CM Junk posted:

Spike was in TNA as a member of 3-D for a while under the name "Brother Runt".

How dare you forget about Big Dick, Chubby, Sign Guy, Studley, Little Snot, and Dances With Dudley.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Everyone talks about how bad the Invasion was, but I just watched it for the first time and SummerSlam 01 was all about the Invasion and was a solid 3 or 4 star show in my mind. Disclaimer: I did not watch the Invasion angle, and so I was pretty much watching Summerslam in a vacuum.

2001's PPVs were probably start to finish the best year in ring for PPVs this decade. The problem is the surrounding stuff (i.e. the stuff that makes you care about said in-ring product) was some of the stupidest poo poo we will ever see. Hundreds of millions of dollars flushed down the toilet so Vince could satisfy his ego.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Well obviously Vince couldn't afford to shell out a few extra million considering the huge amount of money he paid for WCW! :laugh:

I do wonder though if there was a concern about legitimate resentment in the WWF lockerroom if a bunch of (mostly older) guys who had basically raped another promotion into oblivion got paid out a huge amount of money to come into theirs as "brand new" top draws.

I liked how Death of WCW termed it.

Basically, yes, there were worries that such a thing would piss off the locker room. But you have to think about big picture. You bring the big guys in, and everyone is rolling in dough, because the WWF big guys vs. the WCW big guys is what people wanted to see. Remember WM18?

As it was, Vince didn't do it and...he eventually brought them in with big salaries, pissed off the locker room in the process, and nobody made any extra money because WWE was off a cliff at that point, in great part because of this bullshit.

The entire thing just existed to stroke Vince's ego, even though it made no sense since he already won and owned the goddamn company, so all he was doing was devaluing his property.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The worst WWF: The Music entry was from Vol. 2 where Sexy Boy was a carbon copy with entirely different singers

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That wasn't a shoot, he just got too personal for Hogan's liking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eh, I think HHH has always had a little hate for Jericho. The guy has pretty much embarrassed Jericho in every feud they've had, even when Jericho was a face. I also remember hearing awhile ago that he helped kill the immediate main event push Jericho got in 99.

Some quips about how Jericho was stealing his hairstyle may have been involved but that might have been a joke.