Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I will forever disagree with this opinion because that match was the clearly bigger star Triple H hitting Jericho with everything and Jericho NOT staying down, and then Jericho hitting Triple H with everything until both of them were essentially dead, and ended with Triple H (THE number one utmost utter super heel of ALL of wrestling in the world of the time) managing to JUST stagger to his feet to meet the 10 count and then collapsing beside Jericho because he couldn't stand any longer. I thought it did a hell of a lot for Jericho.

You're missing the bigger picture though. HHH had antagonized and embarrassed Jericho for weeks, and this was supposed to be Jericho's big comeuppance. The fact that HHH won was the main problem. It just did not make any sense and seemed to exist just to make Jericho look like a bitch.

The fact that the next feud they were in had Jericho playing a supporting role to Stephanie and a loving DOG makes it seem even more apparent that HHH just does not like the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I believe there was an IWGP title change that wasn't supposed to happen because the current champ was knocked out cold in like 4 minutes.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

the excellent Two Man Power Trip.... and I'm still upset to this day that his quad injury put an end to that awesome team.

I usually am too until I realize that would have meant HHH would have been involved in the Invasion, right as his backstage power trip was just beginning. Can you IMAGINE that poo poo? I mean Undertaker and Kane were complete loving children about the WCW guys, but I think it'd be on a whole other level.

Also it's probably for the best that Foley didn't go out vs. Undertaker. Undertaker's matches in 99 were pretty bad, and they were REALLY BAD after he got back until late 2002-ish.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The A-Team Van posted:

Really? I don't think I've heard about this

Taker and Kane generally acted like complete dicks whenever they faced WCW talent. Remember DDP? Watch the cage match between them and DDP/Kanyon. Utter burial, and a terrible match since Taker and Kane don't give a poo poo.

I have no idea why Taker was so lovely for a couple of years. He had the good match vs. HHH at WM17, but after that even against WWF talent he was abysmal. Maybe he just stopped giving a poo poo for awhile.

Jerusalem posted:

That's about as likely to have happened as Eddie Guerrero showing up on Raw next week though.

Man this would be so funny. Undertaker comes out with a casket and then you hear "I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED!" Eddie pops out of the casket, and Vince has a fake heart attack.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 13, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Thanks for this, but I meant from the minimalist RAW set from last year with no Titan-Tron.

Edit: Or was that it? It looks the same to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhsE5D6lAo

I can't believe they ended a broadcast with. "Warrior! What are you doing, Warrior?"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I know this is a subjective question, but what is the worst "Match of the Year" when you look back on it?

I'm going to say that Mankind/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match from the 1998 King of the Ring, winner of PWI's 1998 match of the year.

PWI MOTY has the accuracy of a drunk with a scopeless sniper rifle.

Going by WON: If you're comparing MOTYs with each other, then I'd say Atlantis vs. Villano III from 2000. Such a loving plodding, boring match with two ancient dudes. And I'd probably say the same if we're talking MOTY that didn't deserve to win it.

The worst WOTY is easily Mutoh beating Austin in 2001

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only time I've ever sided with creative's "We got nothing" is with the Dudley Boys. Seriously, they had done the same exact poo poo for years. They feuded with everyone. They were terrible in singles. There was no uncharted territory, they were done.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Most of those teams were terrible, though. I'd rather have mostly good singles guys over a huge group of scrubs.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Answer: Indy wrestlers traditionally have horrible horrible taste in music.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CM Junk posted:

They're also pretty close to The Game (and not of the Triple H variety).

That's right, motherfuckers, you all just lost.

That's not how it works

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wazzu posted:

Yes it is. If your mind in way remembers the existence of the game, you have lost. Then bullshit happens.

Wrong, you're immune if someone outright says THE GAME. It's like holding the OK sign in someone's face and saying I GET TO PUNCH YOU NOW :downs:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

It's funny. A lot of wrestlers don't care if they're big main-event stars or not. They just enjoy the work and want to feed their families. So many fans, though, assume that anybody who isn't in the main-event is loving miserable.

Wrestling behind the scenes by all accounts is like high school, so there's bound to be a little of column A and a little of column B.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bikeage posted:

1) I believe last night's Rumble is coming out on Blu-Ray next month.

They said this for the 08 Rumble too :(

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Graic posted:

I've seen blu-rays of last year's Rumble, SummerSlam, and Survivor Series.

Where, Hong Kong?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did you know: WWE Raw is the longest WWE Raw in history?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Probably... Rock/Foley for the Title?

Maybe the Kurt Angle/Brock Lesnar Iron Man Match?

I think the highest rated segment ever on Raw was an Austin-Undertaker match in 1999. It was like a 9.2 or something.

They also did an Austin-Angle title change on Raw in 2001 right in the middle of their feud. They'd done the match twice on PPV iirc

then they had angle turn heel and join the alliance after being the post-9/11 american hero :geno:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Probably the same guy that decided to make it combo based

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there really isn't one standout EC match. The Summerslam 2003 one would have been head and shoulders above the rest if they had done the right finish.

It's funny because they introduced it to one-up HIAC, but it never gained the HOLY poo poo rep that HIAC had for a few years. HIAC started to lose its luster around then as well.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What was truly amazing about the first Edge reign is that people reacted to him, he was a fresh face in the title scene, and he actually popped the ratings...

...and they stayed with their HHH-Cena plan, having HHH win some laughable #1 contender's tournament :geno:

Also the perfect time for Edge was around 2003 or so. He went from comedy tag guy, to solid midcard dude, to slowly becoming a fringe main eventer during the Smackdown 6 era, but the injury really derailed him. Plus his face run in 2004 was a mini-disaster. The guy just never adapted to it and it was a huge flop.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

And then WM2000 took all the hurt away...

This game is crazy. For years I figured that it was just hard since I was a kid. Then I got it again and the difficulty was absurd. I was Undertaker wrestling on Heat vs. Gangrel and the guy starts spamming bullshit moves, not giving me a single opportunity to retaliate. I thought No Mercy's rubberbanding and backstage handicap matches were bad, but at least they gave you a chance to win :pwn:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't one of the ironic things that it was Taker's piledriver that lead to the ban on piledrivers but one of the only wrestlers who was still allowed to do them because he was safe was.... Taker!?!

Welcome to the fantastic high school world of wrestling!

Also it's nutty that someone could think the piledriver ban isn't true. The fact I can actually remember every time a standard piledriver has been performed in the past 5 years or so should be a good indicator.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

People seem to be saying "the piledriver is banned, except when they feel like doing one." Well that's not really a "ban" then. It's just something they like to save for special occasions.

In a way, I'd put it in the same category as the "steal the opponent's finisher" spot - it's not a spot that's used very much, but it gets a real "OHHHH no he didn't!" reaction any time it happens.

No, that is a ban. You have to get permission to use it. It is against the rules. Banned, you might say.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think that was necessarily 100% directed towards you. I mean you can't go a week here without someone indirectly crying about Meltzer or mentioning PUNK'S IN THE DOGHOUSE (which is A. almost a 3 year old report at this point and B. if you even watched ECW, it looked like it was pretty legit)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
GAB2004 and 2005 are unfathomably bad shows. 2005 was one of the most bizarre shows ever in that every single booking decision except Undertaker going over and the BWO losing was the wrong one. It was like they were trying to troll their audience.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

crankdatbatman posted:

This question may sound stupid because I seriously know very little about pre-Hogan wrestling. I was looking through a list of Wrestling Observer's "Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic" award that was posted in another thread. What was wrong with Bob Backlund's title reign to give it the award in 1982?

Well, two things to consider

1. At that point, the Observer was really just given to Dave's friends and
2. Backlund was the Cena of his time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know if Foley got up, but that's definitely Rock & Sock vs. the Hollys from a Smackdown in the fall of 99.

I can remember this but not anything for my History of Modern Europe midterm.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The least flashy submission moves are usually the ones that hurt the most. See: Hammerlock, kimura, heel hook

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The A-Team Van posted:

Now that they've officially gone national, who had the better debut: Danielson or McGuinness?

I'd say Danielson because he had a really good match with World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho on his first show. Turned me into somewhat of a mark.

I just feel bad for Nigel. Guy went to Wembley for Summerslam dressed as the Ultimate Warrior, and is so close to his dream, but his body betrays him :smith:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CM Junk posted:

I thought he hated The Wrestler until he came out and personally proved the dirtsheets were lying the whole time.

Hahahahaha look at this guy

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bearnt! posted:

To top it off he goes on to win the European title for no apparent reason in Davey Boy's hometown no less and gets booed out of the building.

Bulldog was actually supposed to win, but Michaels bitched and whined until he got his way.

E: Also yeah, they wanted to do a separate WCW, but even the WWF's ratings were already falling by then, so no network would take it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pleather garbage bag pants and kickpads

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

He was a face when he saved Rock here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY547sxOqfk

You know, I like how Vince punking out HHH actually eventually made total sense (even though the end product was super retarded and they did a redo a month later), since the whole thing was a swerve and Vince was with HHH the whole time. You never really see loose ends or poo poo like that tied up today.

Davros1 posted:

Why would Sabu be there?

He's Sabu.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

If Macho honestly did that, Vince would've had him killed.

Only because he wasn't asked to join in

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Chyna, on the other hand, got dumped by Triple H who then dated, married and had kids with Stephanie McMahon while she quit WWE over money and ended up a drug-addled wreck so she is probably understandably bitter over the whole thing.

I think Chyna and HHH were also still dating when he started cheating on her with Stephanie

She was by no means forced out though, she got an undeserved rocket push and got a gigantic loving ego after it. gently caress Chyna.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember a few years ago some fantastically spergy admin reverted the WM3 page whenever someone posted the "actual" attendance number. He flipped out every time, saying that WWE said it and they would never lie about such a thing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Reading responses to this thread, it's no wonder that Cornette has had a guy in tears squealing,"IT'S STILL REAL TO ME!" at him.

Well Harley Race slowly limping out of his car did that, really

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm fairly sure they had hinted at it on TV too

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think people are really confused about what is and what isn't a depush. Punk going from the world title to the upper/middle midcard is not a depush, that's a regular flow of talent.

Punk slowly ascending the ECW card and getting himself over and then jobbing clean to Matt Striker, jobber extraordinaire, is a depush. MNM going from the hottest tag team in the company to a complete joke, jobbing to Heidenreich and Animal in a matter of months is a depush. Shelton going from the hottest up and coming star on Raw to floundering with the IC title for months and then getting a fat comedian to play "his mama" is a depush.

9 times out of 10 they completely kill the talent's heat, then push them again and are stunned when the crowd doesn't give a gently caress because they just spent months making it clear that they were loving losers. Brock blew up because he is a retarded hick rear end in a top hat. One example is not a trend, but Vince must have skipped class the day they taught that.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 17, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Offering free tickets, or encouraging people to attend a taping of a TV show or performance at no expense in order to have a crowd, is papering.

Papering is when your paid crowd isn't as big as you'd like it to be and so you give away free tickets to make it look better, you baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
How quickly we forget the Samoan Spike