Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

What the hell ever came of Spike Dudley? Did WWE and TNA never really find a permanent pace for him in amongst Ray and D-Von?

I think he went back to teaching (could be wrong). I don't think TNA ever really wanted him (nor did he want to be a full-time wrestler at that point) and the WWE would never have had a place for him. His entire draw in ECW was that he was the little, goofy scrawny guy who could slay the giants. What goofy, scrawny guy in the WWE has ever been successful or gotten a lot of screen time, even as a comedy character? Vince loves his giants and would never let them be slayed, so that left Spike to get over as a serious wrestler. You can imagine how well that would work.

Made You Look posted:

What's the story with Triple H's pedigree. I see one video where he has the arms tigered up the whole time (allegedly this being the first time he busted it out) and pretty much spikes the guy into the mat like he was doing a DDT with his knees. Then it became the flat face crusher with the arms held, and now he doesn't even hold the arms. Why and is there a story behind the first one?

The first one was the result of Marty Gardner (the guy taking the Pedigree) thinking HHH was going for a butterfly suplex and jumping into a somersault. It was never intended to be done that way. It was just a botch. As for why he no longer hooks the arms, probably because most people are more comfortable taking the face bump while being able to protect themselves. People still buy it as a finisher, so I guess it doesn't make a difference, but it does look silly compared to the old way he did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Dave hinted in the Observer that her vacation was wellness-related without saying it, as he is occasionally wont to do, but the official line was that they just didn't have anything for her for a month.

I never understood the tendency some of the more legit dirtsheets have to hint at Wellness cover-ups when it's completely unrealistic. Until half the company starts failing, the WWE suspending violators is good PR for them. If they would have covered up anyone's failure, it would have been Batista's, but no one has surgery to cover-up a drug test failure.

Why would the WWE want to keep Beth Phoenix's potential wellness failure under wraps?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Scott Stiner supposedly said that the WWE wanted to give him a drug test when he was there around 2003-2004ish. He said he'd gladly take a drug test if Triple H took one with him.

The issue was dropped.

That's one of the more infamous stories in WWE backstage lore. I almost don't believe it because it's in the same vein of the "movie-line style stuff people don't say in real life" poo poo like CM Punk's cop story, but then it's Scott Steiner who supposedly said it, so I find it easier to believe.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

I looked again at the Observer in question and the exact quote was "Phoenix (back after 28 days of being gone with no explanation)" which is Meltzerspeak for something fishy going on that he doesn't have enough confirmation to print.

I don't speak Meltzer, but that reads, to me, as "this wrestler who is loved/respected by the Holy Cabal of the Internet Wrestling Community returned after being a part of TV shows on weekly basis and then suddenly not being written into the shows."

It definitely is written to spark interest in WHY she was gone, but like I said, it seems weird that Meltzer, generally regarded as one of the more reputable dirtsheet writers, would encourage speculation about something so absurd as the WWE covering up and thus balancing the legitimacy of their Wellness program on Beth Phoenix.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

quote:

"Chris Jericho's final WCW match was 7/21 in Peoria, IL in a tag match teaming with Eddie against Kidman and Mysterio. Before the match, Jericho said that if he got pinned he'd leave WCW. Misterio than said everyone already knew it was his last night in WCW. (After the match) all four hugged in the ring. There were fans in near tears, as was Jericho. Kidman started a Jericho chant. Jericho said that he was overwhelmed by the response, but he still thinks that Peoria sucks"

Jericho is awesome.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Graic posted:

What was the reason for the character change, and why did they just end it so abruptly and go back to the Val Venis character? Anyone know?

The reason was just that they wanted to turn him heel and having him play Bischoff's lackey was as good a way as any. As for ending it so abruptly, I think his original tag partner was Regal and Regal got fired/suspended/injured, so they quickly paired him with Lance Storm instead, just to give the titles to RVD and Kane (2003 was such a bizarre year) and then abandoned the whole thing, probably because while Val Venis was a dead-end gimmick, it was at least over and Chief Morley, in addition to Val not really being all that great at playing a heel by himself, wasn't going to take Val to new, dizzying heights.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

That was some of the most petty poo poo right there. Bret needs to get the gently caress over himself.

Bret's always been a mark for himself. He bought way too far into the "Hart Family" mystique. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with what happened at SS 97, it's 200-loving-9. It's time to bury the goddamned hatchet or burn the bridge.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

The Goldberg/Triple H rivalry needed to rise, peak and finish, instead of dragging out like it did. Goldberg was a good choice to take the title away from Triple H, but he should have held onto it after that rather that it going back and forth.

I think a big part of the problem with that feud was that they completely disregarded what made Goldberg popular and a mammoth face for the crowd to rally behind: his invincible image. And they did it right later with Batista, so it's not like they didn't know how. People didn't want to see Goldberg being met with an equal in Triple H. They wanted to see Goldberg steamroll and demolish every obstacle Triple H tossed at him, demolish HHH and then HHH could connive and scheme a way to get his belt back.

Why did Goldberg get booked the way he did while Batista got booked the way Goldberg should have?

Because Triple H hated Goldberg personally?
Because Triple H likes Batista?
Because Vince has a bias against WCW guys?
Because Goldberg rubbed people the wrong way by not even trying to act like a "team player" or some poo poo?

Probably a little bit of truth to all of them.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

rotinaj posted:

There's a number of old wrestling articles rewritten to be "FULLY AWARE OF THE FACT THAT WRESTLING IS FAKE", and it's super annoying.

Look around through more of the 1999-2005 pay-per-view articles, and you'll find a shitload of 'em.

Spearheaded by some 'sperger who is determined to get all pro wrestling articles cleaned up so they are eligible to be a Wikipedia featured article, evidently unaware of the fact that an article about a b-level PPV from 2004 will never be a featured wikipedia article regardless of how well it's written.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jack Krauser posted:

Not really a question so much but did this logo ever confuse anyone else?

For the longest time I had no idea it actually read WCW. I just thought it was some random design.

It looks like some X-TREME MONSTER ROCKSTAR ENERGY NOW WITH 64,000% MORE GUARANA energy drink logo.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

spongeh posted:

Did anyone inside WWE ever have anything to say about the Cena/RVD match at ONS? Seems like there were some fed lines to Taz/Styles sticking up for Cena, and the obviously very rabid, and vulgar, crowd.

No official statements or anything, but the fact that they never really went back to the Hammerstein says it all. I think they still call it a "unique" match or a match with a "unique atmosphere," which is WWE-speak for "the crowd didn't react the way we wanted them to and we couldn't drown it out."

I do think they issued some half-hearted apology for the language of the crowd on WWE.com, but that was for an early ECW episode, not the PPV, if it happened at all.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

They went back.

They left I think after they tore Big Show & Batista a new one.

That was only like a few weeks later, though, wasn't it?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Von Linus posted:

There's that story about him and Triple H at a trade Expo or something, and Goldberg (who was in WCW at the time) went up and challenged Tripe H, who just laughed at him.

I think Goldberg just has different priorities and understandings of wrestling than most people. He's right, as well. Raven was trying to teach him something that he never needed to know. He was supposed to shrug stuff off and smash things, not be wounded.

Which is why I didn't really side with Regal, either, although that was just as much Regal misunderstanding what it meant to give Goldberg a "good match."

Goldberg was a mark for his character to some extent, but in the context of not being very flexible in his wrestling style, blame the writers.

Edit: Goldberg's weird because it seems like he took himself very seriously and yet rarely took the business seriously, which is an odd viewpoint to hold.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I dunno in a buisiness that has the history of pro wrestling looking out for yourself and treating the rest of it like a job you are distanced from seems kinda sensible.

I guess it just seems odd to me and seems like a recipe for head-imploding cognitive dissonance for you to not take your job seriously, but take your "character," that only exists at your job very seriously.

I get what you mean, and it makes sense, but I guess I'm the one with the cognitive dissonance.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Kentucky Shark posted:

The version of the story I had heard was that Triple H had made some comments about Goldberg in an interview or something, and their confrontation at a convention was about that. Still probably dumb and a case of a guy taking himself too seriously, but a little more understandable than the way some people tell it like Goldberg came out and cut a promo on Triple H. Also, his opinion may not be worth much around here, but I remember Bret Hart saying it was kind of unfortunate that Goldberg ended his career because Goldberg was actually a really nice guy. It always stuck in my mind that he still had something nice to say about Goldberg since Bret seems to hold a grudge against anyone and everyone.

It's all second-hand info, but the way I heard it was that HHH made some comments about Goldberg's character, angle, style, etc. and it was more bashing WCW through Goldberg than Goldberg himself, but Goldberg came up to HHH and nearly cut an in-character promo on him. It wouldn't surprise me if Goldberg thought he was supposed to do that, not because he's dumb, but because he thought HHH was in character to and that's "just what wrestlers do."

As far Goldberg being a decent guy, I've heard the same. I think the Jericho thing was the result of Goldberg having a perspective on wrestling that was a little off from the norm, so when anyone said something that set Goldberg off, they didn't understand why and chalked it up to "Goldberg's an rear end in a top hat."

The scuffle with Jericho was his fault, though.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

An odd question: When was the last time Cena actually SAID "You Can't See Me?"

It's weird, because it's his catchphrase and yet it feels like he hasn't said it in forever.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I recall reading some interview thing from a few months back about Flair WANTING to get back into wrestling, and Triple H or Shawn Michaels said something along the lines of,"Well that's Ric for you!"

They (WWE) gave him an incredible send-off, and have done a good job of keeping him retired from WWE, and as far as I know he has avoided actually wrestling in North America since (and for far longer than anyone thought he would last), anything he says during heel promos is hardly going to upset any of his friends since he's just doing heel promos.

And as far as I know, part of the "promise" he made to HBK and Vince was that he wouldn't wrestle in North America again after his send-off.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

HorseHeadBed posted:

Why is Jake Roberts referred to as Jake the Sanem on this forum?

It was a typo in a title thread about him a long time ago. Look at your keyboard. See how it's nearly impossible to accidentally type "sanem" instead of "snake?"

That, combined with "sanem" sounding vaguely like the title of a holy man in some foreign culture, means it stuck.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Umbra Dubium posted:

If you watch that Regal/Goldberg match without knowing that Goldberg is no-selling everything it doesn't look that strange. Your typical mark wouldn't notice anything weird going on.

Regal merely upped the level of his offence to get the responses he wanted. Which means turning it all the way up to "stiffing the poo poo out of him" if need be.

The way Meltzer (I think) explained it, WCW told Regal to give Goldberg a good match. Regal, with a background in old-style carny wrestling, took that to mean "guide this big, untrained lug through a back-and-forth fight, hold his hand the whole way and in this case, let him win."

WCW, of course, meant for Regal to sell his rear end off in a squash that looked good.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

I wouldn't say that, but Edge is a bigger star, his coworker, and has the same group of friends, so what the gently caress is Matt really gonna do? He already got fired once.

Not only that, but unless you're a big gay baby, you get over stuff like that. They don't have to be friends, but they can work together.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

Matt Hardy.

:lol: Point taken.

Still, I'd imagine someone, anyone, sat Matt down and pointed out that working one angle with Edge and maybe having to see him at bars/clubs after shows isn't so torturous as to jeopardize his job.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sorry, I forgot how the only measure of wrestling ability is jumping off things.

I don't even like either of the Hardyz, but even I can't deny that Jeff has a better connection with the fans (which is undefinable and yet invaluable), a better look and a style more likely to catch eyes.

Matt's not terrible, but to say that Jeff isn't the superior of the two ("superior" defined as the WWE and any other business define it) is stupid.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Captain Strange posted:

I always thought it did look a bit cooler - there's certainly an implied added momentum given from the arm-swinging, esp. with the chest being thrust forward towards the end.

That's the way I always kayfabe-rationalized it. That chest thrust adds a little extra power that a normal splash wouldn't have.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I'd hold back on Christian until he's on a main show. The guy barely makes it on most PPVs, sadly being ECW champ does not equate being a main eventer to me.

Nor to anyone else.

I like Christian, a lot of people love him, but the ECW title is equal to the US or IC title and that doesn't change based on who holds it.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

CellBlock posted:

He was definitely on his way, sure, but if he had never left, he may still not have gotten a shot.

(It's been long enough that he'd probably have gotten his compulsory "company guy" shot as a belt pillow or something, but if Vince didn't want to push him, he probably wouldn't have gotten pushed.)

This. His push, to me, reeked of "head writer thinks his reaction is too big to ignore, suggests giving him a title shot, isn't explicitly told no, writes it, Vince catches wind of it, shoehorns another person into the angle, push is dead."

And that's not to say I think Vince hates Christian. I think he was just a victim of Vince's waxing-and-waning "yeah, he's good and over, you know, but... don't we have any guys who are 6'4"+ that haven't gotten a title shot yet?" mindset.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

battlemonk posted:

He was willing to job, he looked decent doing it, he wasn't a bad wrestler by any means, just not particularly charismatic—he was solid and reliable and only sometimes was a total rear end in a top hat.

Also probably didn't get paid too much either.

And he was a name, so while beating him wasn't as impressive as beating, say, Triple H, it was more impressive than beating Funaki.

Battlemonk hit it on the head. He was a reliable hand, jobbed pretty much without question, could be trusted to act as a ring general if he needed to and was around long enough that his name was worth at least something.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Were he to join the company now in his prime, he wouldn't last nearly as long. He just happened to join when the worst booker in history was having his only good ideas.

I don't know about that. Holly was never the subject of good booking (minus the Holly Family, which was pretty hilarious), but he lasted pretty damned long. He's the shittier 90s equivalent of what Finlay is now.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

apsouthern posted:

I realise I'm probably missing a really obvious example here and setting myself to look like a cock (even more than usual), but has anyone ever done a "countering a spear into a DDT" spot before? For some reason it popped into my head earlier today and it seems like such an obvious move...

I think the issue with a spot like that is that it's hard to make it visually clear that it was a DDT counter and not just a spear that knocked the attacker out for some reason.

The only way to alleviate that is to slow the whole sequence down, but a slowed-down spear would look silly.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Judakel posted:

You mean the many fake screwjobs that gets thrown out every time the WWE holds a major event in Canada or real screwjobs?

Piggybacking off this question: How many real screwjobs have their been in major promotions? I can only recall one and that's Montreal.

By screwjob I am limiting it to things going "off script" with support from the head of the promotion or someone like that.

Wendi Richter got screwed by Vince McMahon in very much the same way as Montreal in the 80s with Moolah playing the role of HBK.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Austin and Triple H pretty much hated each other at that point (much of the heat coming from Austin, who was resenting Trips' rocket push after his WrestleMania 15 heel turn)

I don't think Austin hated HHH; just the way HHH got his push. Seeing a guy get a disproportionate push because of who he knew rather than what he'd done probably brought back very unkind memories of Austin's WCW run, but I never recall Austin having an issue with HHH specifically.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Timby posted:

I thought HHH and Steph didn't get it on until later in '99 / early 2000.

Ask seventeen people when that friendship first blossomed and you'll get seventeen different answers (plus, people forget that they didn't have to be dating for Steph to be pulling a string or two for him). Regardless, HHH and HBK were gettin' it on in 1996.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

A lot of people also forget that Triple H, as the "junior" member of the Kliq, was the one who took the lion's share of the punishment for the MSG Incident.

And people never get over things like that in wrestling, which is why Kevin Nash was never rehired by the WWE, Shawn Michaels was pretty much permanently blackballed, Triple H never got out of the lower card...

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

WCWand ECW all handled the flights, rental cars and accommodations for their talent. TNA still does. WWE pays new guys like 50 grand a year, then makes them spend like, half of it on flights, cars and hotels. It's pretty hosed up.

Only top-tier guys like HHH, Batista, Undertaker and the like get their flight's booked for them.

WCW: Bankrupt, bought by WWE
ECW: Bankrupt, bought by WWE
TNA: Bankrupt, bought by WWE Sorry, jumped the gun. Not exactly a shining star on Panda Energy's books and they most certainly do NOT arrange everything for all their talent. Remember when the MCMG basically were told to cover it all themselves so TNA could hire Test? Or when TNA told Austin Aries he had to come to Orlando on a day's notice on his dime to do a TNA event (a time if there ever was one where TNA should have picked up the tab)?

I'm not saying booking hotel rooms and flights killed WCW and ECW, but this is dangerously close to the "well, if they were NICE" kind of thinking that runs contrary to every principle of capitalism and technique for running a successful business there is. If booking their own accommodations was such a financial burden, why would the WWE still be alive when others have opened and closed? I have never once heard any ex-WWE guys, fired or quit, complain about the fact that they had to pay their own way.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I'm pretty sure a few plane tickets didn't bankrupt WCW and ECW, but that's just me.

Nope, not really:

I, in the above post you clearly didn't read, posted:

I'm not saying booking hotel rooms and flights killed WCW and ECW

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought WWE paid for plane tickets for distances that weren't realistically drivable (i.e. most PPVs)

I don't think anyone knows for sure. That infamous list of salaries and perks is dubious at best, too.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I didn't say anything and nothing happened. If you think something happened, you're a suspicious moron!

Oh, LividLiquid. Maybe someday you'll realize that the WWE isn't such a bad person. Sure, he has his faults, but who doesn't? And I hope you can stop pledging your love to WCW and TNA. You seem to know better anyway, but WCW's been dead for years and TNA doesn't deserve your adoration.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Wazzu posted:

Who knows why he flopped in the WWE, since every promotion he went to (including OVW) he was quickly one of the most over people.

Because he's good at comedy matches and ROH-style technical wrestling.

Guess which of the above the WWE doesn't do and which one of the above they don't value?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Hockles posted:

I thought it was either a Super Kick or a Claw-type maneuver.

He's probably referring to the Tongan Death Grip which did look sort of silly sometimes, although it makes up for it by actually being pretty loving painful if done with malicious intent.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Does this count: Why did Mickie James think it was a good idea to try to sing with an accent I can only describe as a mix between Gretchen Wilson and a truckstop diner waitress with a 35-year smoking habit when she doesn't actually have an accent?

I was genuinely expecting some generic Taylor-Swifty pop country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

The A-Team Van posted:

She actually does have an accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so4N2iCsCK8

Not the one she sings with, by a long shot.