Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
With Geocities biting it, the list of Meltzer's top star ratings for WWF/WCW/etc. matches are gone. Does anyone have a copy of that, or a link to another source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

The Goog posted:

If Orton is as volatile as he's been in WWE, can you imagine what he would do under the "supervision" of TNA?

Only if you played Wrestling Mpire.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone follow lucha on here? It'd be kind of cool to have a primer similar to the puro threads.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
He should have borrowed Gangrel's goblet.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

Was Norman Smiley over during his peak? I liked him when I was younger....

I think he got decent heat. He was never close to the main event scene in WCW, but he had a good run as a something of a comedy character.

He and the Big Wiggle were over with me, at least. :unsmith:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Vince plays the face sporadically, and with little lead up to him being face. Example: Vince threw Eric Bischoff into the garbage truck, ending the "Eric Bischoff is leaving Raw" angle. Bischoff was definitely a heel, and Vince definitely got a face reaction for it (and was behaving face-esque).

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

What would happen if John Cena keeled over? Say from a non-steroid related death.

A spirited comeback, with death tapping out to the STF within seconds of it being applied.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Von Dozier posted:

Russo does actually have more experience in-ring than Cornette.

How often did Russo wrestle in late WCW and early TNA? Cornette was in the ring fairly often with the Midnight Express, if I remember correctly.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Captain Charisma posted:

How quickly we forget the Samoan Spike

That's not the best suplex. :c00lbert:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ChampRamp posted:

Anyone know what Nitro a four-way ladder match with Scott Hall and Bret Hart being two of the participants took place on?

November 8, 1999 had Scott Hall v Goldberg v Sid v Bret Hart for the U.S. belt in a ladder match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Quantrill posted:

Was there a buffet on the sideline?

Wrong guy with MH initials.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The concept of The Rock being accused of not selling is just mind-boggling.

I can only imagine the role this played in his selling of stuff like Stunners.

"Oh, you want me to sell, do you? How about multiple flips off Austin's finisher?"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What's the highest a ref ever got in importance to a fed? I know Earl Hebner had some office position with the E before he got axed for the t-shirt thing.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Shitty_Wok posted:

You'd think that, but...

Assuming you had to have both Luger & Hart to win, I think there's a 0.11% chance of someone winning that year's, with the hat drawing rules.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Neither did. The New Hart Foundation failed as well. LOD 2000 and then the later LOD with Heidenreich also did little.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

On the other hand, Michael Vick still has a job.

And OJ's still in the Hall.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I've often seen Konnan called the "Mexican Hogan."

And yeah, his matches sucked a lot.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Ric Flair after the plane crash & broken back has to count, though he was only out for six months.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What was Oliver Humperdink's gimmick when he managed Bam Bam Bigelow in the WWF? I think I remember seeing him on the first Survivor Series, and it really seemed to just basically be "I wear gaudy clothing but here I am with a pretty awesome fatty who does cartwheels!"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Giedroyc posted:

And I'd rather watch the Truth Commission vs DOA than any combination of Orton/Cena/HHH.

drat son, let's not say things we can't take back.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Some sort of push where they flirted with making him a main eventer, or at least move him up the card. After that match, he got a title shot at HHH on Raw, turned heel two weeks later, got squashed (twice!) on their New Year Revolution PPV by Shelton Benjamin, slapped into a tag team with Simon Dean that was broken up by a draft, and released.

I thought Maven was a pretty good smug heel. Naturally they gave him something like 5 months and zero chance with the character.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the story that the details that Benoit committed the murders didn't start to come out until right around when the tribute show started, and didn't solidify until about halfway through this live, tribute show, leading to stuff like William Regal doing his best to still say nice things without actually saying anything that nice?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
How does business for the WWE right now compare to the 1993-1995 time period, which is typically referred to as the worst period they went through?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Dickeye posted:

I've seen this referenced a few times now, what is it?

Angle, Benoit, Edge, Rey Mysterio, Eddie & Chavo

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Cena tore his pec or whatever on a loving hip toss.

I mean, it's silly to say that certain moves don't have more risk, but almost every move has a certain amount of risk.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Brets and Shawns and Foleys and Austins always have to go through a million hoops that they would never bother with if Vince weren't the only game in town.

Vince wasn't the only game in town for any of those guys. Also, it's a carny as hell business, filled with lots of idiot promoters; it's tough not to look like a relative genius after you're the last big shot standing.

Vince was the first person to make a successful national wrestling company, foregoing the territory system of the time. He got nationally televised wrestling and ppv wrestling to be common. That company's still around decades later. That alone makes him successful.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Only thing I can think of is a "he's green" joke.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Has any promotion had a woman doing commentary/pbp for any significant length of time?

Missy Hyatt in late 80s/early 90s WCW for awhile, I think.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Tonfa posted:

Female vocals for male WWE rasslers.

HBK, 2005 Christian, ???

Shawn Michaels back in the 90s, with Sensational Sherri singing.

Hogan also has female back up singers on Real American, I think.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

YOU QUOTED A POST THAT ALREADY MENTIONS SHAWN MICHAELS. YOU QUOTED IT ALREADY

I am illiterate. :smith:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Glad it recaptures the experience.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Was there a SportsCenter commercial that featured John Cena? I can't find it on Youtube, but Wikipedia mentions it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The highest rated Mark Henry singles match (well, the only one at or above *** in the Observer) was a ***1/4 match against Rey on 1/20/06.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

There have been at least a few instances of people soiling themselves in the ring, usually when on international tours. I'd imagine they'd end the match pretty quickly if that sort of thing happened.

There's the old story of Andre the Giant wrestling Bad News Brown in Mexico for the WWF. Andre did his "sit down on other guy's chest" spot and shat all over the place. Pretty sure they finished the match, though I have no idea if they rushed it. I also think BNB took it as a racist thing.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The story only gets worse (or at least for me) when you think about Andre's size, and the likely related-size of Andre byproducts.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know the story of Bam Bam Bigelow's jumping around so much during his career? I imagine he left the WWF the second time he was with them because of drama with the Kliq and the non-existent push resulting from the LT job. But the other ones I don't get - it seemed like he was pretty consistently pushed overall but just kept leaving.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

On a related note, anyone have an idea why David Otunga is the one exeption to this rule in the last couple years? Don't really see why they'd let him use his real name when they insist on changing the last names of second generation wreslters and even the guy who won their Tough Enough show.

He's married to Jennifer Hudson, which makes his name much more famous to wrestling fans than Hennig.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I've been going over older recap stuff and have seen a bunch of negative stuff about Teddy Long, who's never seemed particularly great at his role. How has he stuck around for so long in the WWE?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

Back on topic, Greg Valentine is apparently even less warm and pleasant than he looks.

I heard a story that Valentine's notorious for agreeing to do an indy show for $X (to be paid ahead of time), and then calling the promoter the day of the show and demanding Y more shows or else he'll no-show. I'm not sure exactly how this would work well enough for him to build a rep on it at this point - I have a hard time imagining Valentine could draw anything but stick figures at this point - but I guess people are desperate enough for fat midcarders from the Rock & Wrestling days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Other guys with less than sterling reputations include Juvy (drugs & a supposed diva) and Bill Watts.

If I have my story straight, Bruiser Brody taped razor blades to his fists or something insane like that before he had a cage match with Lex Luger in Florida in the 80s. This led to Luger quickly escaping the cage and essentially leaving the promotion. That said, I've also heard lots of positive things about Brody as a person, so I don't know if I have this mixed up with someone else or what.