Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

So I'm watching IYH Good Friends, Better Enemies and have a few musings;
-Is the HBK/Diesel the match the one where some special needs fan ran in and HBK got him out of the ring in a gentle way? My bluray of it has a weird cut in it.
-Why does Diesel have beef with McMahon during the match? Is it to work the fans because he was leaving?
-Did Kevin Nash ever have a good match? Like ever?

That's actually one of Nash's best matches ever, at least from his time in the WWF. I remember it being a pretty fun and crazy brawl at the time, though it's pretty tame by today's standards. His match with Bret Hart at Survivor Series 1995 is pretty great also (it's the match mentioned above), and the Royal Rumble 1995 match with Hart isn't bad either - mostly hampered by the fact that they wouldn't let either guy eat a clean loss. His match with Undertaker at Wrestlemania 12 is surprisingly good too. I can't think of any other singles matches that really stand out in WWF. In general, he could be carried to good matches in that period but there were only a handful of very good workers in the company at that time (like Hart and HBK). My knowledge of WCW and later is limited, but he has seemed either unmotivated or too broken down to do anything impressive since that time.

I'm not sure where they would have cut that match, though I haven't watched it in a few years. That's definitely not the match where a kid runs into the ring though, because I'm pretty certain that happened in an HBK/Austin match. Probably King of the Ring 97. I distinctly remember Austin sarcastically holding the ropes open for Shawn to get back in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

Basically he had good matches with the usual suspects. I f'n hate Nash.
It's on the OMG! Most Shocking Incidents and they have obviously cut something because commentary goes quiet and then cut to several shots of the crowd for about 20 seconds.

I haven't seen the version that's on OMG (which is inconveniently no longer on Netflix) but might it be the spot where Nash wraps Hebner's belt around Michaels' neck and hangs him over the ropes? It's a pretty gruesome spot even for today, and way worse than the tie choking that got Daniel Bryan temporarily fired a few years ago.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

tzirean posted:

Yeah, as far as I know, every compilation version of the match cuts out after the sidewalk slam, missing Diesel choking Hebner to steal his belt, whipping HBK, hanging him and then beating him with a chair while he's hanging. This lovely video shows some of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3EeCPLegvw&t=68s

The version on Shawn's first DVD is unedited at least, as is the match on the network obviously. I just rewatched it and it totally holds up btw--I forgot Shawn gets jackknifed through the table and they don't remove the monitors beforehand, so they sort of bounce all around the place and rip the headsets off Vince and Lawler. There's like 4 or 5 crazy memorable spots in that match.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I'm also a fan of Vince shouting at Shawn "Let it be over!" when he gets up after the table spot and Vince's headset has been destroyed.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

nasboat posted:

Someone said that UT/Diesel from WM12 was a good match, and I just want to chime in and say I disagree vehemently, it is plodding and boring and has no heat and was really kind of dreadful.

That was me. In my defense, 1) I hadn't rewatched it in years, and 2) I'm actually crazy enough to think Diesel was underrated. I just queued it up on the network and I'll agree that Nash's heat section in the middle does bring the match to a huge halt that about kills the crowd. But the beginning and end are pretty solid. I love the spot at the end where Nash hits two jackknifes on UT, but can't even get a cover in because UT keeps popping back to life.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Most of the Austin/Undertaker matches are kind of disappointing, probably because of a combination of their styles not meshing well and both of them being pretty banged up in 1998-99.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Funktastic posted:

What was the reason for Shawn Michael's overselling against Hogan?

I think originally Shawn was supposed to go over, but then Hogan pulled a typical Hogan move and said that he should go over Shawn and would put Shawn over in a rematch. Then when it got close to match time, Hogan said that he wouldn't be able to do the rematch because he was too banged up and needed surgery. So Shawn decided to really put Hogan over.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

I dunno if I'd put it all on Hogan, as he and Shawn had the biggest egos in the business.

Yeah I guess that's a pretty pro-Shawn rundown of the events, but that's how I've always read about it. I don't really have an opinion on whether Hogan should have gone over since it was a one-time dream match, though I think by that point it was looking ridiculous for Hogan to go over anybody (at least he could still do the legdrop I guess).

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I guess the version I've read was way too sympathetic to Shawn after all, my mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

keithy george posted:

They came in around 2001-ish IIRC and they were never directly mentioned. I don't remember there being any issues about tagging in weird places before this. I thought they looked weird and cheap, why didn't they use an actual rope?

Maybe they disappeared for a while or no one bothered with them, because they were definitely around in the 80's and early 90's.