Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

grody but still def posted:

Sunny. By far.

Yep.

Brian Lee/Skip/Phineas Godwin/Both Smoking Gunns/Faarooq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CaptainRapesAlot posted:

So I'm watching the raw from 2/9/98 thats on WWE/24/7 right now. During a tag match vs. LOD, they keep announcing Jeff Jarett and Barry windham as the NWA north american and NWA heavyweight champion respectively. My question is, how the gently caress did this happen and why were they promoting it on TV?

I thought WCW bought out the NWA and merged titles :what:

WWE was doing an NWA invasion angle and bought the rights to use the belts on TV. WCW split from the NWA long ago and made their own brand new belt.

Speaking of this month's 24/7 offerings, Lord Steven Regal's last match on WCW Nitro is on this week's programming, wherein he shoots on Goldberg.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CombineThresher posted:

I'd say Orndorff turning on Hogan and Savage also turning on Hogan were pretty big 80s wrestling moments that led to huge money-drawing programs and great matches. Orndorff never really gets credit for how awesome he was back in the day, either.

Agreed. Orndorff was probably my favorite character of the 80s, and his turn from face to heel to face again was awesome. He was a pretty good wrestler, too. It was sad to see him go from main eventing Wrestlemania to jobbing on WCW Saturday Night. I was really happy to see him get into the Hall of Fame awhile back and liked when 24/7 did a month focusing on him.

In fact, to ask a semi-related question, has anyone else really fallen from main event to jobber status? Jeff Hardy WWE Champion to TNA Champion doesn't count, but has someone gone from WWE Main Eventer to WCW Jobber like Orndorff did? Hacksaw might count for this, too.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just saw a bit on the new Botchamania where Shane Douglas throws down a wrestler wearing a back and neck mechanism (no idea what its called, looks to be some sort of brace for a broken back/neck) and the entire place goes ballistic with fans jumping into the ring and whatnot - I'm assuming that was a work?

Was the guy legit injured or was the whole brace thing part of the work? Its hard for me to tell how much of it was fake and if any of it was real by the insane reaction of everyone in the building and I wasn't really around during the ECW era.

The best part of that whole angle was the whole scene was during a title match between ECW Television Champion Douglas and Pitbull #2. If I remember correctly, he gets the pin on Pitbull 2. He does the whole halo-waggle thing and the whole locker room empties to kick Douglas' rear end. Douglas loving bolts and the locker room and EMTs and Heyman and everyone are in the ring, pissed off and attending to Pitbull 1.

Then Joel Gertner walks into the ring and announces proudly: "Your winner... and STILL ECW Television Champion!"

And he gets clobbered by Tod Gordon, I think. The locker room pulls Gordon off of Gertner and things calm down.

And then Gertner regains his composure and announces... "...and STILL ECW TELEVISION CHAMPION-!" And Heyman decks him and the arena goes nuts for Gertner's blood. It was great and was what made me like Joel Gertner.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jerusalem posted:

Or just being ordinary people who for whatever reason abstain from substances and don't make a big deal (or any deal) out of it whatsoever.

But I AM better than them.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Was Tom Zenk ever even REMOTELY over? Who thought Z-Man was a good nickname?

What happens in one day? :ohdear:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Moose Bigelow posted:

I am going to Royal Rumble in Atlanta this year. I want to start some poo poo rumors while standing in line to get in about who mystery entrants are in the rumble. Any suggestions?

As an Atlanta resident who is also going to the Rumble, I'd gladly start spreading these rumors a week or so early!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Going back quite a few pages to entrance themes, I've always thought that was Eric Bischoff singing on his WWE Theme. I'm probably wrong, but is it?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What exactly do you mean?

There is still an ECW Roster page on wwe.com.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/superstars/

Abe, Byron Saxton, Tony Atlas, Tyler Reks and Vance Archer are the only ones left.

It's been a month and they're still there...

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

BigRed0427 posted:

This one might be stupid but what is one type of character, character archtype or gimmick that to the best of your knowlage has never been done in Pro Wrestling that you would like to see.

To go back a few pages to this:

I'd like to see a guy who uses the old Mr. Wrestling mask and gimmick. At first he just seems to be an old-school face, but he's really technically sound. He doesn't have a finisher, he either uses a classic finisher like the Stunner or Rock Bottom or he openly beats other wrestlers with their own finisher. Of course, this makes him an insta-heel the moment he uses a face's finisher on them.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think every kid fan in the 90s watched scrambled PPVs.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Which are the better (funnier or more informative/interesting) YouShoots?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lone Rogue posted:

Sean Waltman's was good all around. Not sure how informative.

Holly's was good. Informative and funny.

Both of Cornette's were great and of course should be watched.

New Jack's was alright.

After that... meh.

Yeah, I just finished Waltman's which is why I asked. He comes off a lot better than I thought he would. Also he is very high.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 29, 2011

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ZoDiAC_ posted:

What wrestlers have been good tweeners? I can think of heels who get face reactions (or vice versa) but I mean booked and received well as legit tweeners

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Matlock posted:

It's even epic when sampled by Damian Marley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFpJrlgd7A

As much as I legit like S.O.S., this would be awesome entrance music for Kofi. Like a special theme if he ever got a big WrestleMania matahahahahahahaha

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I want to make a very good blood point, too. :smith:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I didn't realize Garrett Bischoff was in TNA. I went to middle school with him. He was a real bag of dicks, but since he went to our school Eric came and did a talk once along with DDP.

How is Garrett on the show? Does he seem like a real bag of dicks? Because he was. A real bag of dicks.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Here is Garrett, looking like a bag of dicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiJxvF8VN0

Hahahaha. Those tattoos are highly unfortunate.

Not as unfortunate as the haircut he had in these photos in my middle school yearbooks.

We also apparently have two mutual friends on Facebook. Garrett's interests include the "West Rodeo Company," "Beautiful Skinz Sunless Tanning," and "SUPPORT WOLF HUNTING IN IDAHO,MONTANA, AND WYOMING."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

RagingHematoma posted:

We are going to need some specifics.

Of why I thought he was a bag of dicks? Mostly because he was rich and thought he was better than everyone else. He walked around the school like he owned it. I didn't have a lot of personal interaction with him since he was a grade above me (hence why I only have two pictures and not three) and I took a lot of gifted classes so I didn't really see him in Remedial Dickbag or whatever classes he took.

Also, I was in middle school from 1997 to 1999. If your dad was on one of the most popular television shows in the country twice a week, you might have a higher chance of becoming a real bag of dicks, too.

His dad was cool, though, I guess. He probably wanted to make sure his son's classmates thought his son was awesome.

Now that I think about it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense as to why he went there. I mean, my middle school was in an okay area, but not all that great. I'm sure ol' Easy E could've afforded a nice private school or at least a school that didn't have the first letter missing off the sign for the entire three years I went there.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Pretty surprised nobody's come in here asking about whether all those wrestling allusions in Chronicle were intentional.

Max Landis, the writer, is totes an old wrestling fan. He even used Kane's theme in one of his Youtube videos.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Moose Bigelow posted:

They should bring back his nickname of peanuthead.

Was this actually used in wrestling? I honestly thought my dad came up with this.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Moose Bigelow posted:

I thought even WWE didn't know Kerry had a fake foot until the middle of his run when it came off in the middle of a house show.

Hahaha this is the best image. Just Vince and a few other in the Gorilla Position just looking stunned as Kerry fumbles around the ring for his foot. The jobber has jumped into the ref's arms because he is freaked the gently caress out. The crowd is vomiting.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Giant Squid posted:

What's the story behind Serena being let go from WWE?

She was in the Straight Edge Society at the time and was pretty much doing exactly the opposite of living the gimmick.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Supreme Allah posted:

When I was little my cousin made me cry like a bitch with a Boston Crab. Like a BITCH. Wailing. In my defense the fat gently caress nearly sheared my spine.

In high school one of my friends tried to put another friend in a boston crab. The, er, crab-ee just used his leg strength and kicked out, sending the crabber through his own television set.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So what's a Ryback? Like, what does that name even mean? I don't get it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Quarex posted:

Hahahahahahah

TRIPLEXPAC: Hey everybody, want to get together? I made my special cheese dip, and I was thinking maybe we could watch the pay-per-view :unsmith:
FRIENDS: no thx alredy d/ld ur human kindsnes

plz seed or he'll die :smith:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lone Rogue posted:

Plus David Flair is awesome. He got a real career to support himself and just wrestles on weekends doing the best of Ric Flair promos, i.e. Commissioner Flair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC8oJgR2-eI

When did David's voice change to where he sounds exactly like his dad?! :psyduck:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oh man, the part where the fans force Raven back into the match was awesome. I forgot about that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

MassRayPer posted:

WCW did run the Northeast and WWE did run the Southeast, but they ran the respective group's home turf less than other areas. WCW would run every major arena in the Northeast other than MSG (and much earlier were the only group running what is now the Izod Center) and WWE would do the same in the South although I don't think WCW had any exclusive deals there.

WCW's house show touring was less extensive than WWE's, so they hit most of the country less often than WWE, but they did run pretty much everywhere. Both wouldn't run Oregon though due to the commission.

WWF didn't run the Omni (precursor to Phillips Arena) after 1992 and only debuted at the Georgia Dome in 1999, doing what looks like a grand total of two house shows there in the entirety of WCW's lifetime. WWF simply ignored Atlanta.

I desperately wanted to go to a WWF show as a kid, but they simply never came. I was at a lot of WCW Saturday Night tapings though, so I guess there's that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't WWF do a show at the Georgia Dome around 98/99 that did 40,000+ and the show opened with Vince McMahon standing in the ring with the biggest :haw: look on his face that anybody had ever seen?

Okay, that was a Raw, my bad. Still, that was their debut in the Dome. I was very sad when I found out a friend of mine at school had gone. There wasn't a lot of advertisement that I can remember.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

At one of those WCW Saturday Night tapings my dad and I got a bunch of free merch, though the only things I remember were a neat wrestling mask (it was yellow with a blue lining around the eyeholes and mouth - it looked like the Juan Cena mask) and a Wildcat Willie shirt.

I only ever wore one of those things.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Did two separate Nitros end with Sid cursing Goldberg's name due to his crushed car?! Why did he know things were sour at space 22? WHY CAN'T SID WEAR A SHIRT?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I had that WOW issue as well. What I liked best about WOW was the huge pictures and the fact that the magazine was huge. It was, like, a million pages long.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

AKMoose posted:

Monday Night Wars junkie/casual fan query: why does Brodus Clay have a funk gimmick, come out under a disco ball, and dress like an 80s rapper?

Because he is literally a dinosaur.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CobiWann posted:

WATCH TOMMY DREAMER, BATTLE "PRIMETIME" BRIAN LEE, IT'S HIGH INCIDENT!

PUBLIC ENEMY VS. THE GANGSTAS AND 911 WITH BILL ALFANSO AS THE SPECIAL REFEREE!

SEE THE HISTORIC BATTLE OF THE BAM BAMS, AS BAM BAM BIGELOW TAKES ON TERRY "BAM BAM" GORDY!

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME, UNEDITED, NEVER BEFORE SEEN...*hushed* it's the night Kimona Wanalaya...danced atop the ECW Arena.

hahaha I can hear it perfectly.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What the gently caress is a "Mongo" anyway? Either it's short for "mongoloid" or "Mongolian," and either way it's offensive.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I have chairs from the two WWE PPVs where I've been in the first couple of rows: Royal Rumble 2010 and WrestleMania XXVII. I also have my WrestleMania ticket signed by the Miz, Alex Riley, and Randy Orton. I have a shirt signed by Daniel Bryan, William Regal, Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes, Trent Barretta, and Tyler Reks, and it has Tyler's gum on it.

I think that's it?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

After watching this whole episode and seeing how these guys are going to against Vince, it's honestly no wonder he won the trial.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

There was one point in the Lost threads where if you dared to post about the 10 second preview they showed during the credits, you would almost instantly get a month long probation for spoilers.

I once put something about the next episode preview in spoiler tags and got probated for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oh man. McGuillicutty saying "This isn't a swimming pool, no matter how much you want it to be" will always be hilarious.