Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

grody but still def posted:

ecw never used a weed whacker as a weapon, never mind one that was used in the match and didn't even lead to the finish.

I also don't remember ECW spraying lemon juice on open wounds. Or pouring bleach down anyone's throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Batmanuel posted:

What if Michael Cole and Tazz called the Hell in the Cell match?

Answer: :suicide:

Honestly, I sometimes wonder what the Attitude Era would have sounded like if Gorilla and Jesse were still calling it. When Jesse came out to do PBP for that Raw before Summerslam 99 I got goosebumps from being so excited to hear him behind the mic.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

WeaselWeaz posted:

I still think his best thing was his explainations of holds on the human anatomy, with medical terminology. Especially when Heenan would have no clue what he was talking about.

External occipital protuberance! :eng101:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Charisma posted:

I grabbed MELINA'S can and then I touched her sweetcan and then I can with her sweet sweet sw sw sw sweet can

He's Rowdy Roddy Peeper!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kulex posted:

It was Capital Carnage and I was there. I must've been about eleven at the time.

If I saw real live boobies at eleven like that I'd have missed several weeks of school afterwords. You're awesome.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
So how are the WrestleMania Anthology DVDs? Are there any worthwhile extras or anything are them. I've long wanted Volume 1 and 2 of it, and I found them at an FYE earlier today. But they're 35 bucks each. Is it worth $70 for the first 10 WrestleManias on DVD?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
How old is Tyler Fullington now? Like 20?

If the original ECW was still around with Paul E in charge, I'd LOVE to see a Raven-Tyler Fullington feud. But Paul E is the only person I'd want to see booking it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

At the time it had much higher production values, live every week unlike WWF, it was longer, had a wider variety of wrestling, tons of bigger names, and had a white hot angle in the nWo which was the first time that Hogan was playing a bad guy. Plus I'm sure the 3 minute jumpstart WCW had probably played a bit of a hand.

Did somebody say "3 minutes"?

I thought it was Raw that had the 3 minute jumpstart. I remember them hyping longer Raw and getting excited, then hearing it was moving from 9pm to 8:57.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

EvilMuppet posted:

From memory, yes it's true. He blamed Hogan for his "fathers" death. It don't think it lasted long at all.

It also led to a funny moment when the Giant joined the NWO, when Scott Hall asked if he was really Andre's son. Big Show looked really pissed and said "Don't go there".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think the NWO's final death is incredibly apropos: Vince McMahon walking out and saying, "Yeah, I'm done with this", as if he was in control of it all along.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

müse posted:

This may seem like a stupid question but who are John Cena's friends in the locker room? Or is he like Kobe Bryant where he tries too hard to have people like him or do people like him?

I haven't heard of anyone really disliking him. But I also haven't heard of anyone being really tight with him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can anyone pinpoint when it was that the Undertaker became the unofficial leader of the locker room? I know it's been at least a few years now, but I don't remember hearing about it so much during his American Badass phase.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

"Michael Buffer came out for absolutely no reason. See, he was there to announce the main event. But get this, there was no main event. Flair, at this moment, fell out of the turnip truck, grabbed a hoe and kept falling down" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 22, 1999

quote:

"WCW took out a huge ad in USA Today with the new logo which read "Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car", and never mentioned wrestling once" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

quote:

"Thursday was supposed to be a grudge Flair vs. Benoit lumberjack match. However, WCW forgot to tell Flair he was booked. Jason Hervey was in Charlotte at request of management and they gave Flair off Thunder because they were producing an upcoming Flair home video, but never informed the people writing the show about Flair having the day off. When they panicked since Flair wasn't there at 6pm, they called him and told him to get to Syracuse. At the cost of thousands of dollars, they chartered a flight from Charlotte to Syracuse to get Flair to Thunder, but due to the weather problems it couldn't get off the ground until 7pm. The show was put together with the idea that Flair would do several interviews building to the Benoit match. So virtually the entire Thunder show was filling time. Flair finally arrived at 9:55pm, but they had already changed plans for the show because they had to be off the air at 10:03pm because TBS decreed that the Chimp movie had to start on time. When Flair got there, they told him he wasn't needed and to go right back home. So, as a panic move, the decision was made to turn the Kanyon-Saturn singles match into a tag title match. However, Bam Bam Bigelow wasn't there either, so Kanyon defended the titles with Page with zero explanation given to have this make sense. It wasn't even announced as a title match until about a minute left" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 21, 1999

God I miss WCW.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Watching the WrestleMania special right now, two thoughts in my head: First, sweet Jesus, HBK and Undertaker should have been the main event. Second, who's kicked out of the Tombstone other than Kane and Shawn Michaels? I can't think of anyone else. Did Hogan do it?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

HulkaMatt posted:

Well we all know Fink is the greatest and WWE are still dumb for not using him.

Is there any reasoning for this beyond "He doesn't have boobies"?

I have to say, ring announcing has gone way downhill since Fink stopped doing it full-time. I will say, though, that I'm a big fan of Justin Roberts on SmackDown.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love Cena, but I think it's mostly the booking. His Superman-like year plus run as world champion would get much more love if it weren't for the cutesy promos he had to cut week in and week out. Whenever he has to do a more serious promo, he brings the goods. Frankly, I don't know why they don't have him do it more often. He's so over that it's not like he's going to get any less popular by not doing "JBL IS POOPY" for a few weeks.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

WCW Dusty-ism

I think Gorilla Monsoon has something to say about that. And I'm fairly certain it's an old expression from outside of wrestling.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Completely unrelated, but I was thinking about this earlier. What in the ever loving gently caress makes Buff Bagwell think he was destined to "be The Rock" (in quotes for obvious reasons; I know he means just a massive massive star, not ACTUALLY The Rock) before The Rock took his spot or whatever? I know we've established he's loving insane, but really, is there ANY evidence whatsoever to support this fact?

I think getting a decent pop when Vince McMahon mentioned his name on the Raw-Nitro Simulcast went way to his head. When he signed, they tried to make something of him and on the infamous WCW Raw had him go against Booker T. The match sucked, Buff got released.

The Rock was out making a movie at this point, by the way. He didn't come back until after InVasion. I highly doubt Bagwell and the Rock ever even came in cotact with each other.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
If they get serious on inducting tag teams, obviously the Road Warriors have to go in. So would the RNRs and the Midnights, I'd have to say. What about the Dudleys, though? I know they've been in TNA for a few years now, but I was under the impression they left WWE on relatively good terms, and you can't argue with how much they accomplished as a team?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

PitifulLoser posted:

What was Evolution's vibe? How did they act? Were they liked by fans or disliked or was it a mixture of the two? Were they smarky at all as HHH sometimes (more than sometimes) is?

It was essentially Triple H's attempt at reforming the Horsemen. They were booed. They got heat. Not the massive, Horseman like heat they were going for. Actually, HHH was supposed to be the "Ric Flair" of the group, but IIRC, Randy Orton got the most heat.

They weren't really "smarky", Triple H tends to do that poo poo more as a face.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wazzu posted:

It did what it was supposed to, be a vehicle for making orton and batista stars in the future, let hhh be mega champ forever, and have flair go around doing stuff that flair does. They acted like a very succesful heel stable with an unorganised resistance. Disliked, but evolution slingshotted each of its members straight into being really over faces because of turning on hhh.

Although while Orton was briefly REALLY over as a face, he quickly had his legs cut out from under him by dropping the belt to Triple H after a month. And I can't really blame them for putting the belt on HHH so quickly, since Randy SUCKED as a face.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Since they were promoting a Submissions Count Anywhere match with DX, and hyping DX as a team not tapping before tonight, I got to thinking: I don't think I've ever seen a tag team match end with a submission before. It seems really counter intuitive to the story of a normal tag match. I'm sure it's happened before, but when?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Batmanuel posted:

Baseball Furry

I have a gigantic mancrush on Kevin Burkhardt.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I obsess over the whole rope color thing. Raw is red, SD is blue, ECW is silver. Which is fine. But then I got really hung up over the rope color on the PPVs. I liked when they used the black or white ropes for the big 4 shows, but then WrestleMania XXIV used red ropes and I got upset. Now I don't see any rhyme or reason to how they determine what ropes are used. Best I can think is that they'll use whatever fits their design for the show.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Zack wouldn't ruin his pristine with that horrid ink on his shoulders...you know it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Supreme Allah posted:

He got heel heat quick enough when he teamed up with HHH. During their fued with the Hardys and then Brothers of Destruction, Austin was booed heavily and consistently

The Angle/Austin heel duel was too funny to really hate. The skits they did with Vince were solid gold

But "funny" isn't necesscarily what you want from your top heels. The Two Man Power Trip, despite the awesome match against Jericho and Benoit, irritated me because Austin, although he was the world champion, seemed to be playing second fiddle to Triple H.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe it was just my perception at the time. Triple H had been the top heel for so long that I thought that anyone working with him took an immediate backseat to him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The week before the "I just humped your brains out" episode, I remember reading a spoiler on 411wrestling for that nights Raw. It described Triple H as going to the cemetary, digging up Katie Vick, taking the clothes off of her body, taking his clothes off, and laying on top of her.

Needless to say, what we saw on Raw that night was actually a relief to me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

BlueArmyMan posted:

The explanation I always heard was that his method of doing the splash was so devastating it hurt his opponent and himself.

Plus I always thought it looked like he was getting a LOT more air time than Eddie.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
But them showing up with the tank at Nitro was one of the turning points of the Monday night wars! :eng101:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
It wasn't a JVC Kaboom box that the Outlaws used. When it broke over his head, JR declared it couldn't have been a JVC Kaboom box because it broke so easily.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yes, it did. It was right in front of the King and Cole, it said "JR is Raw" on it, and Bob Holly took an impressive bump through it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Axissillian posted:

Dudleys were an ECW copyright that transferred to WWE ownership while Booker T was the creative property of the wrestler.

Nope. ECW never thought to trademark the Dudleys. No one did until WWE did.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

SiKboy posted:

I think much like the undertaker and casket/buried alive matches, retirement matches are now Funks match, and it would feel weird to have one without him.

On that note, has Funk ever WON a retirement match?

I don't think he has. Funk's old school, and I think he's said the right way to go out is looking at the lights.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
So who's seen a Hell in a Cell match live before? I'm going to the show on Sunday, and I'm up in the nosebleeds. How's the view from the upper deck for these things? I'm a bit worried about visibility being so high up.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
There wasn't really a "face turn" for Austin per se. After the Alliance lost at Survivor Series he came out and was just a face without really doing anything to turn. I think he hit Kurt Angle with a Stunner because Vince was just going to give Angle the world title.

Also, Steve Austin in the Alliance brought this to the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_U6mtlyLkk

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

The A-Team Van posted:

Rapadoo?

Listen to John Cena's music.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just remembered the retarded Ruck Fules hat that was too controversial for network television.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rusty Shackelford posted:

A leather jacket, I believe.

Tank Abbot pulls a knife on Big Al.

TANK: I could loving kill you right now.

SCHIAVONE: I think he's telling him he's going to cut off his beard!

BIG AL: *lying on the floor, already with no facial hair*

Best feud ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can we take it easy on the X-Pac heat discussion? It seems to pop up every couple weeks and just leads to big protracted arguments.

Also, can we agree that "X-Pac" is one of the stupidest wrestling names ever?