Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Karmine posted:

What book are you talking about and what is the ad you're referring to?

The book is the WCW book that Alvarez and R.D. Reynolds wrote. The ad is a supposed USA Today ad with the new WCW logo, with the ad saying the logo "looks like something a bird left on my car".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
What did 1999 Internet think of X-Pac heat?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm doing some preliminary research into maybe booking a Wrestlemania weekend vacation to Phoenix. Has anyone else here done that? Any tips or advice? I work in hotels so I can get a deal on a hotel room, but is it difficult to get, say, a rental car that weekend? Do flights sell out quick?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

grody but still def posted:

Dan Severn.

I realize the NWA was in a bad way, but they couldn't possibly have done better than Dan Severn being their champion for four years?

I just looked at the history of the title post WCW and pre TNA. Depressing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh come on, that's not fair. Sometimes it's a racist joke.

Did Orton's promo during the VIP Lounge remind anyone of Triple H's promos during his WrestleMania feud with Booker T?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

ColeM posted:

Speaking of terrible championship reigns, which was more terrible: Triple H's 2003 super reign? Or, John Cena's Reign of Doom?

Triple H's was much worse. I wish Cena's went on longer.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

ColeM posted:

I know Goldberg won the title and held it for a good time

Except he really didn't, though. He won it at Unforgiven, from Triple H. He defended it at Surivor Series, against Triple H. He lost it at Armageddon, to Triple H. He has it for three months and did nothing but wrestle Triple H with it. It was extremely frustrating.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wonder how they'd handle the WrestleMania anthology if they were putting it out now. There's no way to edit around the main event of XX, no matter how many lovely jokes the internet makes about it.

Frankly, I'm surprised they even mentioned it in WWE Magazine.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

I think Lex Luger fell from grace quite a ways in WWF. He wrestled for the title at WM 10 and by next Wrestlemania he was in a crap tag-team and on his way out.

I was a mark for the Allied Powers, god save me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

AKA Driver posted:

Was there any explanation as to why during the early part of the 2000s, the WWE shifted the Raw announce table into a semi-orchestra pit up on the entrance ramp? Just trying something new? Wanted it to be more like a press box at a baseball game? More room for the Bikertaker to do donuts around the ring?

That was where the announce table was on Nitro. Bischoff was trying to make Raw more like Nitro. I liked it. I kinda wish they'd move the announcers up to the press box like the old days.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shitty_Wok posted:

I would think Edge would have a better shot than Cena.

Come on. That's an uber-smark thing to say. I'm not saying Edge isn't, but to say he has a better shot than Cena is just patently ridiculous. He's been their top guy for almost five years now. Granted, one might say Edge is the "MVP" of the last five years, but you'd have to say their chances are pretty much hovering around 99.9%.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Super Ninja Fish posted:

How wasn't Jericho winning the Undisputed Title good for him and WWE? His reign didn't end well thanks to HHH and Stephanie but winning it was a good idea.

No doubt, but his booking from the time he won it until he lost it was loving terrible. He was essentially the Honky Tonk Man but with the World Title rather than the IC.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MassRayPer posted:

The most recent Smackdown rating to come out was a 2.1 if anyone is wondering.

I have to wonder if WWE is thinking of taking SmackDown somewhere else when their deal with MyNetwork is up. From what I hear, SmackDown can be tough to find in some markets. Problem is, I don't see who else would take it, aside from WGN, which gets even less clearance.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

sportsgenius86 posted:

Edge has 20/20 vision

:laffo:

R-Truth chose his because he feels the need to remind the audience of the location of the banners hanging in whatever arena they happen to be in that evening.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

CM Junk posted:

WM23: Best match of the card

WM21: Arguably the best match of the card

The Batista match at WrestleMania was shockingly good, but I think Cena vs. Michaels was a better match. Also, the Orton match at 21 as NOTHING compared to Angle vs. Michaels.

I agree with you, I love the Undertaker and I'm surprised how quickly a lot of people decided to start making GBS threads on him, but those two points I have a hard time agreeing with.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

gibsonisacripple posted:

This was answered on todays Wrestling Observer Radio. Meltzer basically said Vince used to pay himself top salary in comparison to other performers on the show as he believed regardless of which match he was in, he was drawing the buy rate. Shane slightly less so but still a good amount.

He's probably right.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

The A-Team Van posted:

-What broke the sex and steroids scandal in 1991-92 and what was the [obvious] importance of this whole deal? Was there an immediate shift in focus to smaller built guys away from the huge superhero types?

It wasn't exactly instantaneous-Warrior was pushed at the top until he left in late 92, and the only reason Hogan wasn't on top was because he had retired for the first of seventeen times. I have no doubt he'd be on top had he still been around-look how quickly he got the belt back when he returned in 93.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alan_Shore posted:

I've heard a lot of negative things about Goldberg here, like how he doesnt care for the business, getting into fights with people backstage, taking himself too seriously. But on the Rise and Fall of WCW I was really surprised to see him come cross very well in his interview segments. So what's going on here?

They were filmed when he was in WWE.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hopefully the kid wasn't gay-according to the Warrior he'd go right to hell. Queering doesn't make the world work.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Carlton Banks posted:

I can imagine Bret volunteering for Make a Wish.

"So kid, whats wrong with you?"
"Well Bret, I have two different forms of cancer and-"
"Ya knooow I have dealt with two of the worst forms of cancer before, Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon. I told Vince I would drop the belt to anyone as long as it wasn't in Canada and (3 hours of rambling about Montreal)"
*kid goes into a coma*

Outstanding.

Ric Flair, in his book, seems to go back and forth on whether Hogan is a decent guy or a piece of poo poo. The Make a Wish thing about Hogan is what he said is one of his biggest redeeming qualities-according to him, Hogan spent a TON of time doing that.

Then, he whipped David Flair, and he was a total rear end in a top hat.

Now, they wrestle each other for alimony money in Australia.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

I'd shaved and everything :(

:golfclap: Nicely done.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

The A-Team Van posted:

But BATISTA has the biggest picture

I think he may be trying to skew the voting....

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've seen a couple pictures now of Umaga hanging out with Edge and Shane Helms and Matt Hardy. I guess Edge and Matt are okay with each other now?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

FishBulb posted:

Its probably because you are the only person on planet Earth that thinks Jeff is the inferior brother.

Amazing how things change in 7 years: Matt Hardy was massively over during "Version 1.0" gimmick, while Jeff was a living botch. Flash forward a few years later, and sentiment completely flipped.

And I feel strongly Edge's 2002 face run gets crapped on too much-he was hugely over as a face on SmackDown in 2002, and I strongly believe if it wasn't for his neck injury he'd have won the WWE Title at some point in 2003.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I absolutely understand your point, and you're right. Sting at his peak of fame would be much bigger than Kurt Angle at his peak. My point is that Kurt was still going strong in 06, while Sting was making a return after doing nothing of note. In addition, Kurt can still go like a motherfucker, and IMO Sting is awful.

I have to disagree on this. Kurt Angle at his peak was a bigger star than Sting was at his.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

SiKboy posted:

It always seemed to me that sting was the top guy in WCW when they didnt have any other choice. If they had ANYONE else they thought could carry the company (Hall/Nash, Flair, Goldberg, Sid, Hogan, whoever) then sting was generally relegated to second banana. It just seems to me (although I was never that knowledgable about WCW, so I could be wrong) that they didnt have that much confidence in him. His stints as the companys #1 guy seemed to be more based on the fact that he never went to WWE than the company having any real faith in him. Maybe I'm wrong and WCW just had faith that he'd continue to be over whatever they did, but it really did seem at times that WCW thought of him as "safe but dull hands" when they had no other ideas.

I would say to internet wrestling fans, signing sting was probably a bigger deal than angle. To casual wrestling fans (who make up most of the viewers) Angle would probably be a bigger deal as he was working in upper card the WWE until he turned up in TNA, and the average casual wrestling fan doesnt remember WCW. Not because it was bad, but because it folded like 8 years ago.

This is exactly what I mean, and you put it much better than I could.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wazzu posted:

Then what happened when he challenged Hulk Hogan or other unbeatables?

They booked a ton of gently caress finishes for Piper. They kept him hugely protected, and I don't think he and Hogan ever had a proper blowoff.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Supreme Allah posted:

Did Rugged Ronny Garvin invent the police-outline stomping every inch of your unconcious opponent as he lay helpless? nobody else ever did that, right?

I think I remember the announcers saying Randy Orton got that from his Dad. Not sure if that's true or not, I've seen maybe four Bob Orton, Jr. matches in my life.

Speaking of, is there a longer ring name than Ace Cowboy Bob Orton, Jr.?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
That powerbomb/neckbreaker combination that the Dudebusters sued on ECW, isn't that the move that Raven and Kanyon used that broke one of the Villanos necks?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Deranged Hermit posted:

Guys, it will be Chris Benoit with a new theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He82NBjJqf8

No, they weren't out. They were in the enclosed pool area.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

LividLiquid posted:

He was in a little fed a long time back with Samoa Joe.

In fact I'm pretty sure that's Samoa Joe in that video with him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it's safe to throw CM Punk in as definitely a main eventer. I don't think he's a "tippy top guy" like Triple H who is always around the main event, but he's at a point where he can be moved up at will without having to build him up significantly first.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

nyratk1 posted:

Poor choice of words.

The best surprises always come up from behind.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

dusty udder smoker posted:

dudleys.

Here we go again...

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

CM Junk posted:

To be totally fair, I turned 14 a month later.

And here I was thinking I was a baby in this forum at 25.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

LividLiquid posted:

In some cases, you extend your feet to stomp, then retract them and roll, which has about as much impact as a standard wrestling kick. In other cases, indy douchebags actually go through with the move and much like nutting yourself on the ropes, there isn't any blocking it.

But how do you do this:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Atticus Finch posted:

I dunno if this was a push, but he was very visible for a few weeks/months on RAW as "guy who does gross things."

If I remember tonight, the first Jackass movie was out around this time, and I have a vague recollection of the IWC referring to him as "Tommy Knoxville" around this point.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mick has been on a long decline creatively, and at this point seems to attribute a little more importance to himself and his opinion than is healthy.

Which is one of the biggest reasons his last book was such a turn off, and why I can't watch TNA. I hate the idea of my favorite wrestler ever falling so deep into self parody. I still think Mick Foley has something to contribute in wrestling-I think his final promo with Edge before leaving WWE shows that. But I highly doubt that, at this stage in his career, that contribution should be as an active wrestler.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Goldust

His has even changed slightly, it's somewhat downplayed from the super awesome 1995-96 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do still mark out when Jericho breaks out the Lion Tamer on the small and flippy (give me your Kofis, you're Bornes, you're huddled Mysterios yearning to break in three).